ADVERTISEMENT

OT: When to take Social Security

Yes assisted living. Was costing like 20k a month for just my mom
My parents just went into assisted living. They had to have 3 years of assets and if they run out of money they can stay but are moved to a smaller room.

If either pass away the second one would have to share a room if they could not pay.

• Sad
Reactions: RU848789 and vkj91
If you start at 62 and are still working there is the possible clawback of a portion of the payments until you reach normal retirement (66-67 not 70).
I read that that payback is not so bad because you ultimately get it back via an increase in benefits

Best is to have no assets… the more you have the more they take… even Uncle Sam … remember him ? gave us a run around because of my late father’s assets. This after serving 5 years in the Pacific Theater during WWII . Cost us around 350k out of ( his ) pocket . They did tell us , “ don’t worry we’ll accept whatever Medicare pays if his money runs out.” He lived until 90 and still had some sizable funds and investments left which went to the family. No debts… make sure of everything as we have just seen recently again in the news.
My parents just went in at 90. My sister did the shopping and financial review for them. She says they have enough to last forever.

Reactions: letitrip2
I read that that payback is not so bad because you ultimately get it back via an increase in benefits

Part of it is how much you make after 62. Much different for a part timer/semi-retired than full time at high wages. I guess my point is it's not pure gravy and run the numbers first

Reactions: tom1944
If you start at 62 and are still working there is the possible clawback of a portion of the payments until you reach normal retirement (66-67 not 70).
Okay, very good point. 62 or when I stop working.

My parents just went into assisted living. They had to have 3 years of assets and if they run out of money they can stay but are moved to a smaller room.

If either pass away the second one would have to share a room if they could not pay.
My father was there for almost 5 full years. His assets would have lasted at least another 5 years . It Started at 30 k per year based upon a very roomy single room with kitchen and views. It is the medical where it goes up. For the last 2 years and 160 k year 2-3 totaled around 60 k each…it is a money grab… Best is with medications ( then) if your parent / parents were taking meds and had to leave the facility for the hospital more than 48 hours the State of NJ required those needs be tossed and you had to pay for all new scripts. One time my father had just gotten 4 new meds but came back( hospital) after 72 hours and he had to pay for all new ones. Don’t know stupid until you deal with NJ medical rules at least back 10 years.

I think you have to consider whether you like working or not. I just retired last month at 73. Been a prof for the past 48 years and loved doing it. Folks at the university asked me to stay on, which was nice, but I want to travel more and write more without having to worry about faculty meetings and grading papers anymore!

Took SS starting at 70. Glad I did as I didn't need that money while I was working. Right now I'm trying to figure out where to put my 401k money. Funny I noticed this thread as I have a scheduled call to my advisor in 20 minutes.

Yes assisted living. Was costing like 20k a month for just my mom
I guess inflation has to be factored in - my $15K/month number was from about 6 years ago. It sucks to have to talk about this stuff (and plan for your own demise), but it's better than being completely lost when the time comes as a caregiver.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Was it an assisted living facility (ALF) or a nursing home? Much harder to involuntarily discharge someone from a nursing home, although it happens (but is not allowed based on ability to pay or being a Medicaid supported payor - nursing homes have to take Medicaid). Being discharged from an ALF (usually to a nursing home) happens all the time, when people move towards needing 24/7 care, which ALFs usually don't provide.

Hope the following is helpful for some, as we've had a range of experiences taking care of the elderly, as my wife ended up being the primary caregiver (power of attorney) for her grandmother and both parents; I only did a little bit of the support detailed below, but have learned a bit through observation. Her grandmom had Alzheimer's (but was otherwise healthy) and was moved into an ALF when she was about 80. She stayed there for about 10 years and her savings was drained over the first few years, but they kept her there accepting her Medicaid (didn't cover all of it) until the end when they booted her when she became very difficult - fortunately, she died within a few weeks of that.

My wife's father moved into a continuing care facility, starting at the independent level, where he stayed for 7-8 years, but then he suffered from worsening dementia and was moved to the assisted living wing of the facility and was there for about a year. During that last year he had nearly continuous nursing coverage at $15K/month (he had the money) as he had become difficult and they told my wife they wanted to discharge him to a nursing home, but she fought it and they relented and then a few months later, he fell ill and died in the hospital.

And my wife's mother lived in a mental disability residential facility from the time she was about 60 until she died in her mid-80s, all paid by Medicaid (and a NJ program for such folks); she died from emphysema, fairly quickly, at the end. And "luckily" (I guess) my mom declined and died relatively quickly (cancer) over about 2 months in early 2020 when she was living with my sister, so there never was any facility involved.

Lastly, my dad is 90 and living in a CCF at the independent level (he's very sharp, still, but physically declining with diabetes and very poor eyesight) and they have an ALF there in case it gets to that point. He has a LTC policy and enough income from his pension/SS to pay for a standard nursing home should it come to that and he has a room reserved at one just in case. If anyone is doing eldercare, don't forget that step, i.e., make sure the person you're responsible for (or will be in the future) has a spot reserved in an ALF and a nursing home should that person need it - sometimes waiting lists go out for a year or more and you don't want to be scrambling at that point.

There probably ought to be an eldercare thread on the board
. A few useful links below...

https://www.forbes.com/health/senior-living/assisted-living-vs-nursing-homes/

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/can-assisted-living-kick-out-elderly-residents-138932.htm

https://www.medicaidplanningassistance.org/nursing-home-evictions/
That’s a great idea. As we’re all going to get there at some point. 👍

Should be a pinned one too.

Reactions: RU848789
I think you have to consider whether you like working or not. I just retired last month at 73. Been a prof for the past 48 years and loved doing it. Folks at the university asked me to stay on, which was nice, but I want to travel more and write more without having to worry about faculty meetings and grading papers anymore!

Took SS starting at 70. Glad I did as I didn't need that money while I was working. Right now I'm trying to figure out where to put my 401k money. Funny I noticed this thread as I have a scheduled call to my advisor in 20 minutes.

At 70 there is no doubt. Take it.

When to take SS depends entirely on your specific assumptions. There is no single right or wrong answer for everyone. For me, I took it at at full retirement age and chose not to defer until max pay out. In any case, for me, I wouldn’t delay to 70 and would tend to taking it earlier and invest the proceeds. I have taken it for a few years and it reduced my need to draw down from my portfolio. Factors to consider are age, age of spouse, health, size of portfolio, legacy plans, taxes, expected change in tax law, etc.

Edited to add that if you are planning tIRA to Roth conversions, social security can impact your “space” available in a given tax bracket, as well as possibly have implications related to IRMA and NIIT.

Last edited:
As much as children may love their parents and have sworn to never place them in an adult care facility (as they age ) that works only in the early stages. Along the way more severe illnesses will test your resolve. Bathing. changing dirty clothes , administering meds, more involved issues such as intubation, dialysis , feeding tubes. You think saving money is the most important thing but the comfort of mom , dad etc. is actually more needed at EOL.
My dad passed away at 97 but was active and still mowing the lawn at 90. He never had any dementia and he only needed assistance at 95.5 years. My mom, myself and my sisters took care of him at home. I use to get him out of bed, put him Into the wheelchair to watch TV in the living room, take him to the toilet and even wipe him if needed. I took him to dialysis three times a week which was difficult because he had to go down a flight of stairs at home. He was in and out of nursing home for rehabilitation so I’m aware of them. He never wanted to go to a nursing home. I remember getting a health aide to help but he thought it was a waste of money since she would only work for maybe 1 hour for a day pay. My mom is now 93 and still able to walk and somewhat active. Her memory is a little fuzzy but adequate. She doesn’t want to go to a nursing home especially after visiting my dad when he was there.

I don’t know but I don’t think most elderly want to go to the nursing home. I helped the most with my dad but I expect my two sisters to take up the burden with my mom when it necessary. I did get closer to my dad at the end when I was taking care of him at home. However, every situation is different and if it’s longer than a 1-2 years of extensive care, my mom might have to go to a nursing home. It all depends on the stage of your life. If we were busy in the 40’s or 50’s or if we weren’t healthy enough, I’m sure there would have been discussions to put them in a nursing home. We were in our late 60’s retired for 15 years already and had the time to take care of them.

It’s interesting because none of my siblings think they will ever go to a nursing home and expect to pass at home. However, they won’t have the support that my parent have. The second and third generation always got everything they wanted in their childhood and wouldn’t want the hardship of taking care of their parents. What also amazing me is that there are so many functions that a robot can do to assist the elderly at home but no one has developed them even when it doesn’t seem that difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock
My dad passed away at 97 but was active and still mowing the lawn at 90. He never had any dementia and he only needed assistance at 95.5 years. My mom, myself and my sisters took care of him at home. I use to get him out of bed, put him Into the wheelchair to watch TV in the living room, take him to the toilet and even wipe him if needed. I took him to dialysis three times a week which was difficult because he had to go down a flight of stairs at home. He was in and out of nursing home for rehabilitation so I’m aware of them. He never wanted to go to a nursing home. I remember getting a health aide to help but he thought it was a waste of money since she would only work for maybe 1 hour for a day pay. My mom is now 93 and still able to walk and somewhat active. Her memory is a little fuzzy but adequate. She doesn’t want to go to a nursing home especially after visiting my dad when he was there.

I don’t know but I don’t think most elderly want to go to the nursing home. I helped the most with my dad but I expect my two sisters to take up the burden with my mom when it necessary. I did get closer to my dad at the end when I was taking care of him at home. However, every situation is different and if it’s longer than a 1-2 years of extensive care, my mom might have to go to a nursing home. It all depends on the stage of your life. If we were busy in the 40’s or 50’s or if we weren’t healthy enough, I’m sure there would have been discussions to put them in a nursing home. We were in our late 60’s retired for 15 years already and had the time to take care of them.

It’s interesting because none of my siblings think they will ever go to a nursing home and expect to pass at home. However, they won’t have the support that my parent have. The second and third generation always got everything they wanted in their childhood and wouldn’t want the hardship of taking care of their parents. What also amazing me is that there are so many functions that a robot can do to assist the elderly at home but no one has developed them even when it doesn’t seem that difficult.
They agree and are waiting for your pitch…

1adcd10aa3cbe7af73b964a77995bd7799-14-shark-tank.2x.rhorizontal.w710.jpg

It’s a great idea.

Before the lectures start - I am not using this forum as the sole source of information. I have also had discussions with my accountant and financial advisor. I am simply looking for additional opinions/points of view. We do not need SS to maintain our current lifestyle. My wife is a few years younger than me and won't start collecting until full retirement age. Both my accountant and financial advisor have both basically said when I choose to start collecting is more a personal decision rather than financial.

I'm leaning towards starting to collect a year early (as opposed to full retirement age). The break even point for these two options is 79 including COLA (using 2%). I think id' rather have the money in my pocket as opposed to the governments. Even if I waited until 70 to collect, we are not talking life changing money. Also, nothing in my personal or family history indicates I'll be much outside the average life expectancy one way or the other.
There are three things to think about: (a) how long do you think you will live -- do you think you have a good chance of outliving the mortality table (you probably do because you obviously have a good socioeconomic status -- the better your status the longer you will probably live) (b) how badly do you need money now rather than wait an additional year and get 8% more per month; (c) how long do you want to work? (It makes little sense to take social security if you are still working because your benefits will be less if you are working.) I opted for age 70 because I had already retired; I didn't need the money; and I have no reason to think I won't outlive the life expectancy table. I would rather gamble on living a long time than on dying prematurely. But just as your accountant and financial advisor say, it's a personal choice -- and as you say, one year isn't a huge difference. You've clearly thought about this a lot; make the choice that makes you happy.

Reactions: RULoyal and thegock
They used to have a prompt system telling callers if you do not wish to wait on the phone leave your name and phone number . They would give the caller an estimate of time. Mine 9 years ago was a call back in 2 hours. Great rep who handled my entire SS application and did the same 1 month later for my wife. Took mine 8 months early… well worth it. Enjoy it ….our lives are not guaranteed .
I thought you were gonna say it was 9 years ago and still waiting for call back lol

Not sure it is done the same as then. Actually the rep called me again to make sure we understood the spousal part of SS. Woman was really helpful.

So just to follow up on the withholding issue - I called SS again starting a few minutes before they begin answering the phones (8:00) and when they finally answered it was only a 20-minute wait (better than 1.5 hours). Spoke to a rep who said the only way to have withholding taken out of your benefit is to fill out form W-4V. I told her I had the form but wanted to know if I should complete it now or wait until April when I'm going to start collecting. She said send it in now and make sure to designate when you want them to start taking out withholding. I told her that I was currently looking at the form and I don't see any box for designating when to start withholding. She pulled up the form and said just write the date in the box where you pick your % withholding (4 choices 7, 10, 12, 22). I said that doesn't seem very intuitive and she said she did not design the form.

The other annoying thing is you either have to mail in or fax the form. You can do everything else for SS on-line way not this? Old man rant over.

Reactions: RUBOB72
So just to follow up on the withholding issue - I called SS again starting a few minutes before they begin answering the phones (8:00) and when they finally answered it was only a 20-minute wait (better than 1.5 hours). Spoke to a rep who said the only way to have withholding taken out of your benefit is to fill out form W-4V. I told her I had the form but wanted to know if I should complete it now or wait until April when I'm going to start collecting. She said send it in now and make sure to designate when you want them to start taking out withholding. I told her that I was currently looking at the form and I don't see any box for designating when to start withholding. She pulled up the form and said just write the date in the box where you pick your % withholding (4 choices 7, 10, 12, 22). I said that doesn't seem very intuitive and she said she did not design the form.

The other annoying thing is you either have to mail in or fax the form. You can do everything else for SS on-line way not this? Old man rant over.
Yes, it's not the greatest form in the world. Having such a limited range of choices for withholding percentage is also far from helpful.

If it makes you feel better (it won't), this isn't the only thing with SSA you can't do on line. Because I was still working at 65 at a job with health insurance, I deferred taking medicare Part B. When I did stop working, I had to write them a letter telling them I now wanted Part B rather than being able to do it on-line. In addition, someone who wants survivorship benefits (for instance, a widow who wants benefits based on her late husband's earnings record rather than her own) can't do that on-line either, but rather must call SSA and make an appointment that will be weeks away.

It's good that you knew how to get through in a reasonable period of time -- as you say, the wait can last hours and there is no guarantee that the system will offer you the option of a callback.

Reactions: RULoyal
P.S. Probably everybody knows this already, but New Jersey does not tax social security income and so there is no need for a New Jersey resident to worry about having tax withheld for New Jersey. Delaware, New York and Pennsylvania also do not tax social security income.

P.S. Probably everybody knows this already, but New Jersey does not tax social security income and so there is no need for a New Jersey resident to worry about having tax withheld for New Jersey. Delaware, New York and Pennsylvania also do not tax social security income.
Actually just looked that up yesterday as I was unsure.

NJ doesn’t tax SS income just yet… lots of anticipated tax increases being discussed and considered by Mr.Ed.

SS benefits should NEVER be taxed by anyone. It's already a program via taxes.

Reactions: RUShea
Never say Never in this state. All of a sudden this is completely off limits? Yes, it ‘s a system based upon contributing over years of being employed but there are those who actually don’t see it that way. And if this were the case ( a safe benefit) why are people so worried? Just print some more money.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

The argument goes that the employees' after-tax annual Soc. Sec. contributions should not be taxed , but the subsequent appreciation should. Let's see them do it. The result would likely be similar to what happened when Florio jacked up income tax rates back around '90 on anyone with income over 35k. A Florio aide said it was no big deal as it "only affected the wealthy". The result was a Republican landslide in the next state election. I wanted him to come to Bergen County and show us all how to live like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" on 35k.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The argument goes that the employees' after-tax annual Soc. Sec. contributions should not be taxed , but the subsequent appreciation should. Let's see them do it. The result would likely be similar to what happened when Florio jacked up income tax rates back around '90 on anyone with income over 35k. A Florio aide said it was no big deal as it "only affected the wealthy". The result was a Republican landslide in the next state election. I wanted him to come to Bergen County and show us all how to live like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" on 35k.
What appreciation? :)

Never say Never in this state. All of a sudden this is completely off limits? Yes, it ‘s a system based upon contributing over years of being employed but there are those who actually don’t see it that way. And if this were the case ( a safe benefit) why are people so worried? Just print some more money.
They would rescind the $100,000 retirement exclusion before they ever think about taxing social security.

And I do not see them doing that.

They would rescind the $100,000 retirement exclusion before they ever think about taxing social security.

Rescind entirely? I agree, no way. Reduce the exclusion? I wouldn't put it past them.

Rescind entirely? I agree, no way. Reduce the exclusion? I wouldn't put it past them.
Not sure it brings in enough revenue to be worth the trouble.

I had some experience with the State budget in the past and I have seen how they arrive at the revenue they “want” so the budget is balanced in July. They then hope revenue comes in from income tax (Wall Street) bonuses and investment income, sales tax via increased sales and corporate tax.

I have seen them overestimate revenue from partnership taxes, on- line gambling and some other revenue I am forgetting now. All estimates in July to show a balanced budget with none of them coming near the budget amount by June. They were saved by either income, sales or corporate taxes being greater than anticipated

Not sure it brings in enough revenue to be worth the trouble.

I had some experience with the State budget in the past and I have seen how they arrive at the revenue they “want” so the budget is balanced in July. They then hope revenue comes in from income tax (Wall Street) bonuses and investment income, sales tax via increased sales and corporate tax.

I have seen them overestimate revenue from partnership taxes, on- line gambling and some other revenue I am forgetting now. All estimates in July to show a balanced budget with none of them coming near the budget amount by June. They were saved by either income, sales or corporate taxes being greater than anticipated

WSJ reported Wall St. bonuses are slightly down this January

Prove it for us… can you guarantee it won’t occur to the younger ones say the 40-50 year old ? No. You can’t …. He already is looking to tax a number of items . Unfortunately NJ once again has the inability to pay it’s bills. Mr.Ed declared how great the state’s economy was and after rewarding taxpayers now says… ooops sorry you ‘ll have to pay more again. Similar to the rising electric, internet, auto insurance , home heating etc.

Last edited:
Prove it for us… can you guarantee it won’t occur to the younger ones say the 40-50 year old ? No. You can’t …. He already is looking to tax a number of items . Unfortunately NJ once again has the inability to pay it’s bills. Mr.Ed declared how great the state’s economy was and after rewarding taxpayers now says… ooops sorry you ‘ll have to pay more again. Similar to the rising electric, internet, auto insurance , home heating etc.
You take this stuff more personal than you should. He is not running again but the legislators who would need to vote on it are, and I doubt they would deliver the votes.

Go Greg Schiano bet you he has a better message to them . This type of whine has always been a staple of the MBB

No tom1944…neither of us knows what Mr. Ed would do.That is why I asked… prove it for us.

Not a fan of Mr. Goldman Sachs and before we hear more about Ed … I do realize he ‘s a fan of Rutgers but that has a great deal to do with perception and future votes .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT