ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Finebaum Thinks 2 'Super Conferences' In College Football Is Inevitable

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
During this Wednesday's edition of "Get Up" on ESPN, Paul Finebaum discussed the future of college football.

Finebaum revealed that he believes college football is heading towards a landscape where there will only be two "super conferences." The two conferences in position to run the sport are the Big Ten and SEC.

"It'll take a few years, but the two super conferences right now are the Big Ten and the SEC. They look like the NFL right now. They have all these multiplicity of leagues, especially the Big Ten with three or four different partners," Finebaum said. "The Big 12 right now has emerged as No. 3. The ACC is the league that has serious soul-searching to do right now. Ultimately though, we're going to get to this."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...p&cvid=f69b974bf6e74e098a630a48512ea19f&ei=16

Ultimately, Does this help or hurt Rutgers FB?

During this Wednesday's edition of "Get Up" on ESPN, Paul Finebaum discussed the future of college football.

Finebaum revealed that he believes college football is heading towards a landscape where there will only be two "super conferences." The two conferences in position to run the sport are the Big Ten and SEC.

"It'll take a few years, but the two super conferences right now are the Big Ten and the SEC. They look like the NFL right now. They have all these multiplicity of leagues, especially the Big Ten with three or four different partners," Finebaum said. "The Big 12 right now has emerged as No. 3. The ACC is the league that has serious soul-searching to do right now. Ultimately though, we're going to get to this."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...p&cvid=f69b974bf6e74e098a630a48512ea19f&ei=16

I’d rather be a bad MLB team than the best AAA team.

I thought it was the endgame too when Texas, Oklahoma went to SEC and Big Ten added USC/UCLA. My big question would be how big can these conferences get?
NFL at least has a setup where you are playing every team at least once every 4 years. I don’t know how that’s feasible in college when you get past the current numbers.

What are our fans reactions going to be if all these new teams are brought in at full payout. Honestly, I have alot of resentment about how Rutgers was treated relative to all the other programs that were brought in. Even Maryland, in my estimation got a better deal than Rutgers and yet we are delivering arguably the largest TV audience to the BIG. What does everyone think about this and does Rutgers have a legitimate beef on how we were treated upon entering the BIG?

I thought it was the endgame too when Texas, Oklahoma went to SEC and Big Ten added USC/UCLA. My big question would be how big can these conferences get?
NFL at least has a setup where you are playing every team at least once every 4 years. I don’t know how that’s feasible in college when you get past the current numbers.
It’s hard to do with OOC games, and it would take a 10 game conference schedule.

-24 team conference

-3 of your games are rivals you play every year (3 teams)

-4 of your games are teams you play every other year (8 teams)

-3 of you games are teams you play every four years (12 teams)

Reactions: rubigtimenow
What are our fans reactions going to be if all these new teams are brought in at full payout. Honestly, I have alot of resentment about how Rutgers was treated relative to all the other programs that were brought in. Even Maryland, in my estimation got a better deal than Rutgers and yet we are delivering arguably the largest TV audience to the BIG. What does everyone think about this and does Rutgers have a legitimate beef on how we were treated upon entering the BIG?
No one outside of Rutgers and its fanbase cares . . .

When the money discrepancy is so large, schools in other conferences will be forced to beg for entrance further watering down their leagues and cementing their 2nd class status.
It will get to a point where the tax free statuses of these money making machines gets lost, then we'll see a seismic shift towards 2 super teams.

I’d rather not listen to Finebaum. About a week ago I was going through the channels and he was on ESPN briefly discussing the Harbough suspension situation. They put up one of those silly ESPN graphics of the first 4 games and % win chance. Finebaum mentioned a light OOC schedule and then added RU “if anyone one considers Rutgers a Big Ten school”. He has done that a few times to RU and I usually don’t watch his silly SEC call in show. Only in SEC land could such a hack gain significant stature.

It’ll be fun when the AFC South Georgia Bulldogs face off against the NFC North Ohio State Buckeyes for the 2028 Super Duper Bowl.

The future conferences will be determined by which colleges/Universities have the most NIL money. There will be one super conference of about 32 teams. It could be divided into 2 or 4 divisions. These teams since they have the most money will get the best players. All other colleges/Universities will have their leagues and the best of them will play in minor bowls. I don't believe Rutgers will be in the super conference because it doesn't have enough NIL money.

Terrible. Too many good schools left out, too many regions left out, too much power in the hands of too few, too few local rivalries. An amateur NFL lacking the things needed to make it work, like parity and every part of the country represened. They will kill the goose that laid the golden egg in their pursuit of money.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
This may not be good for Rutgers. While there may be 2 super conferences, the big money may be to have the elite schools only be a part of those conferences. Remember its all about revenue and profitabilty. At some point you may not be able to carry school that don't bring national cache if that is what you are shelling out money for to get viewership. I continue to think you may have 2 super conferences, but it may only be the elite 32 (as determined by ability to grab audience) in the two with the rest starting a notch below.

If 2 is inevitable why not 1?

I’d rather not listen to Finebaum. About a week ago I was going through the channels and he was on ESPN briefly discussing the Harbough suspension situation. They put up one of those silly ESPN graphics of the first 4 games and % win chance. Finebaum mentioned a light OOC schedule and then added RU “if anyone one considers Rutgers a Big Ten school”. He has done that a few times to RU and I usually don’t watch his silly SEC call in show. Only in SEC land could such a hack gain significant stature.
You shouldn’t let it bother you. He just represents Southern football. He can barely tolerate Ohio State and Michigan, never mind Rutgers.

Did he say you look fat in that dress?

SEC is literally confederate states and BIG10 is the Union States.

It's a civil war I tell ya

Finebone's just an SEC troll doing his schtick. Guy makes an honest living being a corpse. Who cares?

There are probably dozens of teams that would take a deal comparable to what we got, to get in now

Why are you festering over something that can’t be changed ?

And was the best thing for RU
Again, the best thing ever

He also believes that there are more Alabama fans in the New York Market than Rutgers fans...

This may not be good for Rutgers. While there may be 2 super conferences, the big money may be to have the elite schools only be a part of those conferences. Remember its all about revenue and profitabilty. At some point you may not be able to carry school that don't bring national cache if that is what you are shelling out money for to get viewership. I continue to think you may have 2 super conferences, but it may only be the elite 32 (as determined by ability to grab audience) in the two with the rest starting a notch below.
Jim Delany, the commissioner who spearheaded the addition of Rutgers and Maryland, explained that the Big Ten Network “basically had a 400 percent increase” in revenue after the additions.

I, for one, have a legitimate beef about how Rutgers was treated joining the B1G. Rutgers was a member of the conference WITHOUT getting a full share of the revenue stream! How long was Rutgers the red headed stepchild of the B1G before being granted a full share?
That is like we will invite you to the dance but you can’t dance to the first 15 songs. That’s like being made to sit at the card table in the living room for Thanksgiving dinner while the grownups eat at the dining table.
It wasn’t right then, and it is not right now. They should retroactively pay Rutgers the full share that Rutgers deserved at joining.

• Love
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT