ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell's Best Coached Game This Season!

RU MAN

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2001
I know I've been on Pike and staff after one of the lowest points of the season with that loss to Minnesota, blowing a 10 point lead with just over a minute left in that game. Today, Pike's brilliance was his mix-and-match offense and the great spark plug play by Simpson and Woolfolk. And today, Paul, for the first time in recent memory, looked like Paul of old. Kudos to Paul. Cam, knocked down threes, twos, and FT's. And even though Cliff didn't score a lot of points, he did just enough against Dickinson to cause him some problems. And as great as the Purdue win was early in the season, THIS game with the NCAA on the line was IMO the BEST!

Lastly, kudos to Pike, Knight, and Hobbs for NOT trying to play Michigan straight up man-to-man. The mixes of zones especially the 2-3 zone, gave Michigan fits in the second half. At one point, we held Michigan to ZERO points in 15 minutes. Outstanding! And with this win, we have PUNCHED our NCAA ticket and now will go to our THIRD NCAA TOURNAMENT EVER!!!! Congrats team!

Last edited:
Great win, but how long ago was it when most said he should never take out players on a run but that’s exactly when he took out Cam and I think Paul when we went up about 6. Worked today, not last time. Same good coaching, then and now. the opponents are on scholarship too.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUinOhio
I know I've been on Pike and staff after one of the lowest points of the season with that loss to Minnesota, blowing a 10 point lead with just over a minute left in that game. Today, Pike's brilliance was his mix-and-match offense and the great spark plug play by Simpson and Woolfolk. And today, Paul, for the first time in recent memory, looked like Paul of old. Kudos to Paul. Cam, knocked down threes, twos, and FT's. And even though Cliff didn't score a lot of points, he did just enough against Dickinson to cause him some problems. And as great as the Purdue win was early in the season, THIS game with the NCAA on the line was IMO the BEST!

Lastly, kudos to Pike, Knight, and Hobbs for NOT trying to play Michigan straight up man-to-man. The mixes of zones especially the 2-3 zone, gave Michigan fits in the second half. At one point, we held Michigan to ZERO points in 15 minutes. Outstanding! And with this win, we have PUNCHED our NCAA ticket and now will go to our THIRD NCAA TOURNAMENT EVER!!!! Congrats team!
In the prediction thread, I said I hoped we'd see a lot of zone and a lot of Simpson. Great job on both by Pike. Glad I could help, lol.

Great win, but how long ago was it when most said he should never take out players on a run but that’s exactly when he took out Cam and I think Paul when they went up about 6. Worked today, not last time. Same good coaching, then and now. the opponents are on scholarship too.
I was pissed and my wife says "he's trying to shake things up"...guess she was right LOL. Wolfolk was a monster today. I did notice Pike yelling at the bench early, trying to fire them up. In hindsight I can see he was probably yelling to them to get ready to step up. Masterful

Pike coached an incredible game. When Cliff goes out with 2 fouls, they could have killed us with Dickinson, but they double teamed him on each possession and the rest of their team had no answer. So many turnovers by jumping in the lanes, diving for loose balls, and just knocking it out if their hands. Offense stepped up and hit some big shots. Derek got the big minutes he deserved and he gets better each game. Not many defenders who can stay in front of him. Great win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT