ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 27 MARYLAND: Move on and turn the page

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Penn State game redux and I do not need to repeat my description from that game. In simple terms Rutgers was humiliated on its home court by Maryland. Boys vs Men and you never want to have that description especially if you have a couple guys who have been here for 4-5 years. In other words Rutgers was soft today and didnt particularly care with the exception of a few players. Rutgers came out pretty aimlessly on offense early, going through the emotions while tossing bricks and missing free throws. Maryland did not look much bettter yet it all it took for them to get going was 3 poorly defended 3 pointers that went in and holding an inept anemic Rutgers team scoreless for the final 6 minutes of the half. Lead was 30-18 game over and if you were not convinced the Terp would then run the lead to 43-22 as RU offensive futility reached new lows. RU made a brief rally when Pike finally figured out he needed to shake up the lineup. Oskar, Gavin, J Will brought some spark and noise to the RAC as RU clawed to just down 10 at 47-37. Yet the comeback proved futile and Maryland punched back and RU with starters back in perhaps looked worse than they did in the first half. What you saw is what you got. No need to dwell on the what, whys, whos, and hows it went wrong. Nothing hidden. A listless rudderless performance that RU has shown this year. J Will was a big addition and surprise but the word i out and when you peel the layers off its still the same woefully inept offensive team that has gigantic roster management issues. End game recap. Season over? Well still an outside shot at the NIT however observing this team today, I am thinking they are more packing it in than wanting to play on. I thought an NIT run would be big for these kids, but I think there are too many on the roster that will not have the hunger.

Moving forward now that ANY NCAA talk can now be flushed, it is time to move on and turn the page to next season. Dylan and Ace are coming. Tons of excitement and anticipation to come. Rutgers have not seen this kind of talent here ever. Its a game changer yet it is not guarantee to be successful. How Pike molds the surrounding cast is of the utmost importance. zA team can never have enough talent. Not a fan of Pike's navigation through the portal the last few years. I feel he is too loyal to returning players to do the NECESSARY movement that other coaches do to move ineffective and overmatched players out and move new ones in to compliment the team. Yes Pike was dealt a bad hand with Cam and then with Paul going. Pike had an injured Mag yet he brought in a guy with a NCAA gambling issue/transfer issue looming over him plus two other guys coming off injuries. Pike also chose to bring back Hyatt who automatically would be a starter. To me its just really bad roster management and showing loyalty by refusing to recruit over players.

Now what happens this off season. Is Cliff back? Is Mag back? Do either of them let it be known early they are coming back? Does Pike get strung along and its another Cam/Paul situation? What are the expectations for Simpson? Does Pike feel he needs to recruit another shooting guard as a back up for Dylan. Is Pike committed to Gavin and feels he can produce next year..and I am seeing some promise from GG in his last few. I do not expect Dorstch and Grant to have immediate impact as freshmen. Summerville may have more potential as an impact player but its likely even he will take some time to adjust. Will J Mike be the other starting guard with Dylan. Doesnt it seem like we really need to nail down the Mag and Cliff situations the most. How aggressive will Pike be? Will Chol and Wolf get the talk? Will even another player who has seen major minutes get the talk? Can RU find more NIL money? Is it even realistic? Does the lure of Ace/Dylan attract better talent and then in 2025 to put the program on a stable path after they supposedly are one and done.

The off season roster management will be critical to how far Rutgers can go next year. Sitting on its hands, Rutgers is going to set themselves up for disappointment. Its the biggest portal of Pike's life. Will he be up to the task. No doubt the expecations will be high for next season. You bring guys like this in because you expect a run. The NCAA tourney is the bare minimum. You want to get to the sweet 16 too but things can happen to screw that up. Its a unique challenge for Pikiell and this program and lets face it, they are not headed into next season in a good spot considering the wobbly end to this season.

The mantra of this season was don’t let the bottom fall out and make sure everything that is done benefits 2024-2025. Has made dealing with this season from the fan perspective quite easy. Only negative this year for me is Pike quadrupling down on offense and critical analytics to a program infrastructure not mattering to him.

Move on to the next season.

I'd love for Cliff to come back and for Ogboye to play AAU under an assumed name to get more experience.

Penn State game redux and I do not need to repeat my description from that game. In simple terms Rutgers was humiliated on its home court by Maryland. Boys vs Men and you never want to have that description especially if you have a couple guys who have been here for 4-5 years. In other words Rutgers was soft today and didnt particularly care with the exception of a few players. Rutgers came out pretty aimlessly on offense early, going through the emotions while tossing bricks and missing free throws. Maryland did not look much bettter yet it all it took for them to get going was 3 poorly defended 3 pointers that went in and holding an inept anemic Rutgers team scoreless for the final 6 minutes of the half. Lead was 30-18 game over and if you were not convinced the Terp would then run the lead to 43-22 as RU offensive futility reached new lows. RU made a brief rally when Pike finally figured out he needed to shake up the lineup. Oskar, Gavin, J Will brought some spark and noise to the RAC as RU clawed to just down 10 at 47-37. Yet the comeback proved futile and Maryland punched back and RU with starters back in perhaps looked worse than they did in the first half. What you saw is what you got. No need to dwell on the what, whys, whos, and hows it went wrong. Nothing hidden. A listless rudderless performance that RU has shown this year. J Will was a big addition and surprise but the word i out and when you peel the layers off its still the same woefully inept offensive team that has gigantic roster management issues. End game recap. Season over? Well still an outside shot at the NIT however observing this team today, I am thinking they are more packing it in than wanting to play on. I thought an NIT run would be big for these kids, but I think there are too many on the roster that will not have the hunger.

Moving forward now that ANY NCAA talk can now be flushed, it is time to move on and turn the page to next season. Dylan and Ace are coming. Tons of excitement and anticipation to come. Rutgers have not seen this kind of talent here ever. Its a game changer yet it is not guarantee to be successful. How Pike molds the surrounding cast is of the utmost importance. zA team can never have enough talent. Not a fan of Pike's navigation through the portal the last few years. I feel he is too loyal to returning players to do the NECESSARY movement that other coaches do to move ineffective and overmatched players out and move new ones in to compliment the team. Yes Pike was dealt a bad hand with Cam and then with Paul going. Pike had an injured Mag yet he brought in a guy with a NCAA gambling issue/transfer issue looming over him plus two other guys coming off injuries. Pike also chose to bring back Hyatt who automatically would be a starter. To me its just really bad roster management and showing loyalty by refusing to recruit over players.

Now what happens this off season. Is Cliff back? Is Mag back? Do either of them let it be known early they are coming back? Does Pike get strung along and its another Cam/Paul situation? What are the expectations for Simpson? Does Pike feel he needs to recruit another shooting guard as a back up for Dylan. Is Pike committed to Gavin and feels he can produce next year..and I am seeing some promise from GG in his last few. I do not expect Dorstch and Grant to have immediate impact as freshmen. Summerville may have more potential as an impact player but its likely even he will take some time to adjust. Will J Mike be the other starting guard with Dylan. Doesnt it seem like we really need to nail down the Mag and Cliff situations the most. How aggressive will Pike be? Will Chol and Wolf get the talk? Will even another player who has seen major minutes get the talk? Can RU find more NIL money? Is it even realistic? Does the lure of Ace/Dylan attract better talent and then in 2025 to put the program on a stable path after they supposedly are one and done.

The off season roster management will be critical to how far Rutgers can go next year. Sitting on its hands, Rutgers is going to set themselves up for disappointment. Its the biggest portal of Pike's life. Will he be up to the task. No doubt the expecations will be high for next season. You bring guys like this in because you expect a run. The NCAA tourney is the bare minimum. You want to get to the sweet 16 too but things can happen to screw that up. Its a unique challenge for Pikiell and this program and lets face it, they are not headed into next season in a good spot considering the wobbly end to this season.
Can you imagine if Pitino was our coach and was doing the post game pressor? After what he said about his St John's players, he would have thrown our players under the bus and run them over with a few more buses.

Can you imagine if Pitino was our coach and was doing the post game pressor? After what he said about his St John's players, he would have thrown our players under the bus and run them over with a few more buses.
And then came back with midweek win and a top 15 win with those players to get back to the bubble picture.

bac- one of your best recaps because its focus was on next season's roster formation.The status quo bringing back all the players with eligibility is the wrong response.Bailey and Harper will need offensive support because scrounging to score 60 plus points will only result in more fan disappointment.Pikiell also needs to evaluate the coaching staff because player development needs improvement.Foul shooting and rebounding are obvious problem areas.Teaching a half court offense that utilizes the skillset of players also needs attention.

bac- one of your best recaps because its focus was on next season's roster formation.The status quo bringing back all the players with eligibility is the wrong response.Bailey and Harper will need offensive support because scrounging to score 60 plus points will only result in more fan disappointment.Pikiell also needs to evaluate the coaching staff because player development needs improvement.Foul shooting and rebounding are obvious problem areas.Teaching a half court offense that utilizes the skillset of players also needs attention.
Good points. Poor outside shooting, FT shooting, and regrettably making layups have been a hallmark of Pike's teams at RU. I'd gladly give up some defense for improvement in all three of those categories.

Turn the page? I'm not sure we win another game.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

We flushed the toilet after Purdue, turns out it was clogged and we were left with a hot steaming floater left in the bowl for today. Today was the lowest point for me as this went on after we got JWill back, and we have seen some low points this year.

You are one of the dumbasses who thought zero wins was more likely than six so perhaps you aren't really to be taken seriously on this point.
That's correct but at least if your going to quote me put it in context. I made that post before J. Will and big E joined the team and when I made the post no one new if they were going to play at all. If they didnt join the team we wouldve lost all 4 of those games.

That's correct but at least if your going to quote me put it in context. I made that post before J. Will and big E joined the team and when I made the post no one new if they were going to play at all. If they didnt join the team we wouldve lost all 4 of those games.
Lol ok buddy.

Reactions: shields

Love your stuff Bac, thanks. My dad used to say the best way to predict tomorrows weather is expecting what you have today. More often than not you’ll be right. That’s how I feel about next year’s portal use and roster make up.

The off season roster management will be critical to how far Rutgers can go next year. Sitting on its hands, Rutgers is going to set themselves up for disappointment. It’s the biggest portal of Pike's life. Will he be up to the task. No doubt the expecations will be high for next season. You bring guys like this in because you expect a run. The NCAA tourney is the bare minimum. You want to get to the sweet 16 too but things can happen to screw that up. Its a unique challenge for Pikiell and this program and lets face it, they are not headed into next season in a good spot considering the wobbly end to this season.
Agreed.
Pike needs to come to Jesus, both players and staff.
Cliff and Mag both need to move on, for different reasons.

Love your stuff Bac, thanks. My dad used to say the best way to predict tomorrows weather is expecting what you have today. More often than not you’ll be right. That’s how I feel about next year’s portal use and roster make up.
Seems like that’s actually not very correct though? Like that model would outperform “pick at random” but not much else.

Seems like that’s actually not very correct though? Like that model would outperform “pick at random” but not much else.
Lol, are you referring to my dad’s sophisticated weather predictor or my having little optimism about Pike building a roster next year?

If it’s the weather he only meant if you take a screen shot of your ten day forecast app most days look very similar to the day before it. There are changes sure. But like roulette you bet the color run.

It’s a bummer. I was holding out hope for a nit appearance which would have been a minor miracle but that’s unlikely at this point.

Could RU not force feed us black outs and stripe outs. Although technically visually both worked out fine, the results were both unmitigated blowouts and game disasters. Don’t mess with karma. Just stop.

And while BAC may technically be right this time, as officiating had absolutely no effect on the result of the game, it was nonetheless atrocious again. No excuse night after night to be so bad. Watched UConn and Nova and it was almost pleasant. Then I see this crap officiating.

I am concerned for next year if officiating is this awful again and we continue to get horrible calls against us when we will finally have D1 shooters.

Oskar gave us some nice minutes. Highlight of the game.

Gavin has really improved defensively and still have hope for him. His height was a problem at times for the Maryland guards. 5 rebounds!

AWilliams wasn’t bad. Noah didn’t take any shots and JWill was just quiet. Seemed to rebound well and a few nice passes.

Know it’s hard to fault Mag after surgery and A for effort and works so hard to get back… but today wasn’t good. Been that way for awhile now.

After a rough start Hyatt looked like a good foul shooter.

Disappointed in Cliff as Reese got in his head.

Young had a nice all around game but we still held him to a dozen points and we still got blown out.

After this game BAC how on earth do you suggest JMike as a starting guard next year? You wonder why I come back with Simpson?

Can’t have a starting guard shoot below 50% from the line.
Team can’t shoot 10-17 from the line.
Team can’t shoot 2-11 from three.

Simpson has a better handle on the ball, in fact best on team, is the quickest, gets the most steals, plays strongest D and hits his foul shots. Seems to me that should be the rhetorical question as other starting guard next year. Simpson did not have any turnovers today. Had some nice passes again that were fumbled or unanticipated by Cliff and O. Maybe just tell him you’re the point guard for Dylan, Ace and JWill. Tell him to be the point and no longer worry about shooting.

Is DJ listening at all? It’s not about him. The whole Student Body is singing to Bon Jovi and he started to play shuffling off to Boston? Big fail.

If you are going to play the boys are back in town by Thin Lizzy introduce RHJ, Geo, Kleinbaum and Bruce all at once so they can all get a collective standing O. Not as big a fail but could have been better.

I thought PSU was our one home klunker for the year. This was worse. Willard good coach but a smug S.O.B. Two bad games in a row for Pike. Better be on A game for Juwan.

Distraught after this game. Most down since Eddie Jordan days. Thought we were beyond these type of games. Oh well.

Tough loss. Beat Michigan!

Turn the page to next year at this point !

Team played soft like Charmim and let Reese and Scott dominate and intimidate them to no end - especially Reese!

Another putrid offensive performance for which we need a significant upgrade in coaching for next year. Brandin Knight ain’t cutting it fellas as offensive coordinator !

Pike s rotations were head scratchers at times ! Played Gavin and Derek too little in H1. Stayed with unit that couldn’t rebound to save their lives too long in H2.

Last edited:
Reactions: bethlehemfan
Davis is also a freshman. Needs to work on shot. Simpson now almost two years.

Turn the page to next year at this point !

Team played soft like Charmim and let Reese and Scott dominate and intimidate them to no end - especially Reese!

Another putrid offensive performance for which we need a significant upgrade in coaching for next year. Brandin Knight ain’t cutting it fellas !

Pike s rotations were head scratchers at times ! Played Gavin and Derek too little in H1. Stayed with unit that couldn’t rebound to save their lives too long in H2.
the defense on Scott was terrible letting him get into the paint like that.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Davis is also a freshman. Needs to work on shot. Simpson now almost two years.
Simpson has been an excellent if not great foul shooter. For all Simpson’s shooting faults, he doesn’t turn the ball over. Assists have improved and D is elite. Guess it depends on who or what you want with Dylan and Ace. JWill, Gavin, a big?

Also has too many 2-10 games. Like the kid but needs to get better.
Love Derek, you want him on your team. The kid cares and wants to win. But he’s been pressed into starting and he’s not a 20-30 min a game guy. He’s a spark plug

Reactions: RUskoolie
We have a lot of things to play for in the last 4+ games and B1G tournament, but this season started for me in May 2023. These changes were needed and were made to improve the roster. We actually did that despite today's game.

In terms of next year it is really a five year window that opened this season as the 1st year. It has some players who need to improve and others who just aren't getting any better.

In terms of next year, I think we ate underestimating the skill level of the incoming class. We are getting more complete players....not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but RU fans are conditioned to panic or unwilling to give youth a chance to perform.

The roster needs some tweaks and the goal this season was to find out what players are capable of contributing in 2024-25.....we're now in a better position to clearly evaluate what we have and what we need, instead of trying to squeeze two more wins this year, with a roster full of seniors.

The staff gets a lot of criticism, but watching a log of B1G or Power 5 basketball, we really lack legitimate players and talent. That is just an observation of teams like Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State and others with more talented rosters. How Pike gets crushed for not making magic out of limited players, is odd.

The staff gets production from an All Patriot league player in Cam Spencer and a former Temple starting guard in JWill. I don't think we will struggle to find another guard or wing that's solid or better than what we have today.

I am not putting all of my thoughts into 2024-25, because this is really about what supplements 2024-25. If we go all in on just one season, it would be a mistake......this has to be a season to get the 2024 kids, om the floor, learning and improving. They need minutes early, so they can improve and develop by February 2025.

I'm really more interested in 2025 HS recruiting than portal kids for 2024. We need someone from the portal who can expect to be more than a 1 year rental.

In terms of today's game, there's nothing much to take from today other than the lack of talent shows up in February and March. Your better, stronger and more talented players make a difference in games 21 to 30+, not necessarily in games 1 to 20.

I thought Gavin made some more strides today, but that's to be expected. We really need a strong finish from Davis and Simpson the last 4 to 6 games. That would solve some problems for sure.

Reactions: Rufans
Could RU not force feed us black outs and stripe outs. Although technically visually both worked out fine, the results were both unmitigated blowouts and game disasters. Don’t mess with karma. Just stop.

And while BAC may technically be right this time, as officiating had absolutely no effect on the result of the game, it was nonetheless atrocious again. No excuse night after night to be so bad. Watched UConn and Nova and it was almost pleasant. Then I see this crap officiating.

I am concerned for next year if officiating is this awful again and we continue to get horrible calls against us when we will finally have D1 shooters.

Oskar gave us some nice minutes. Highlight of the game.

Gavin has really improved defensively and still have hope for him. His height was a problem at times for the Maryland guards. 5 rebounds!

AWilliams wasn’t bad. Noah didn’t take any shots and JWill was just quiet. Seemed to rebound well and a few nice passes.

Know it’s hard to fault Mag after surgery and A for effort and works so hard to get back… but today wasn’t good. Been that way for awhile now.

After a rough start Hyatt looked like a good foul shooter.

Disappointed in Cliff as Reese got in his head.

Young had a nice all around game but we still held him to a dozen points and we still got blown out.

After this game BAC how on earth do you suggest JMike as a starting guard next year? You wonder why I come back with Simpson?

Can’t have a starting guard shoot below 50% from the line.
Team can’t shoot 10-17 from the line.
Team can’t shoot 2-11 from three.

Simpson has a better handle on the ball, in fact best on team, is the quickest, gets the most steals, plays strongest D and hits his foul shots. Seems to me that should be the rhetorical question as other starting guard next year. Simpson did not have any turnovers today. Had some nice passes again that were fumbled or unanticipated by Cliff and O. Maybe just tell him you’re the point guard for Dylan, Ace and JWill. Tell him to be the point and no longer worry about shooting.

Is DJ listening at all? It’s not about him. The whole Student Body is singing to Bon Jovi and he started to play shuffling off to Boston? Big fail.

If you are going to play the boys are back in town by Thin Lizzy introduce RHJ, Geo, Kleinbaum and Bruce all at once so they can all get a collective standing O. Not as big a fail but could have been better.

I thought PSU was our one home klunker for the year. This was worse. Willard good coach but a smug S.O.B. Two bad games in a row for Pike. Better be on A game for Juwan.

Distraught after this game. Most down since Eddie Jordan days. Thought we were beyond these type of games. Oh well.

Tough loss. Beat Michigan!
Love it, especially the criticism of the DJ. Bullseye. Lol.

There is going to be sone Monday morning quarterbacking in my post ….but I’m not sure this wasn’t expected when you have a roster of

5 frosh and soph (Jmike, Gavin , wolf , Derek and chol)

5 guys who are 23-24 (austin , oskar , Ogoble , aundre, and Noah)

And only three four years guys (and NO third year guys ) bridging the two in cliff , Mawot and Jwill

Very disjointed group …

I woukd like the emphasis on okaying the 5 young kids (except chol who can’t find the court ) and the players who can return (mag, cliff and jwill ). For the last part of the year

Other than audre …who , IMO, who has earned the right to finish out his career on the court, I think the other four older guys need to give way to the youth movement ….

There is going to be sone Monday morning quarterbacking in my post ….but I’m not sure this wasn’t expected when you have a roster of

5 frosh and soph (Jmike, Gavin , wolf , Derek and chol)

5 guys who are 23-24 (austin , oskar , Ogoble , aundre, and Noah)

And only three four years guys (and NO third year guys ) bridging the two in cliff , Mawot and Jwill

Very disjointed group …

I woukd like the emphasis on okaying the 5 young kids (except chol who can’t find the court ) and the players who can return (mag, cliff and jwill ). For the last part of the year

Other than audre …who , IMO, who has earned the right to finish out his career on the court, I think the other four older guys need to give way to the youth movement ….
This is how i see it…..

We play every game to try and win. The most inportant guy that we are recruiting is J Will. We need to win games down the stretch and make him feel like this is the place for next year

We are losing games not playing our best. How do we know if we would have won today if Austin or Oskar or Noah would have gotten Gavins minutes today.

Watching gavin playing over austin (or Oskar)has to bother some of the players. Has to bother Jwill who wants to win and doesnt understand or like that Pike is giving minutes because of recruiting stars. It has the feeling of watching in little league the coachs son pitching and batting 1st. Kids hate it and everyone knows what is going on.

This is how i see it…..

We play every game to try and win. The most inportant guy that we are recruiting is J Will. We need to win games down the stretch and make him feel like this is the place for next year

We are losing games not playing our best. How do we know if we would have won today if Austin or Oskar or Noah would have gotten Gavins minutes today.

Watching gavin playing over austin (or Oskar)has to bother some of the players. Has to bother Jwill who wants to win and doesnt understand or like that Pike is giving minutes because of recruiting stars. It has the feeling of watching in little league the coachs son pitching and batting 1st. Kids hate it and everyone knows what is going on.
GAVIN absolutly should be playing over Austin..if you cannot see his improvement the past 3 games and what Pike is trying to accomplish with bringing him along you are suffering from GDS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT