ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 32 MARYLAND: They shoot horses don't they

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
I hope they do because this one still has 15 minutes to go and it is quite clear this season needs to be put out of its misery. Rutgers on their way to their 7th loss in their last 8 games. A tank job that would make Fred Hill look bashful. Performance has been so bad I did not even do a recap for last game and the only reason I am doing one here is because it is the last game of the season. I do not want to hear about next season. What I saw this season has me very concerned about roster management, ability to get a feel for the portal and the unfortunate stubborness of loyalty. Pikiell may have been sandbagged by the departures of Cam and Paul but he bares most of the brunt of what happened. He brought in 3 injured players for a team that had an injured guy coming back. That injured guy by the way played the staff for more $$$ which to me a giant red flag. One of the 3 guys also had a gambling issue held over his head and missed half the season. Another guy is a major project that is only good for a few minutes. The first target and prize of the portal class was a 24 year old out of shape with a family which means his focus was never going to be on hoops. Pike brought back a guy who is 8th man on most teams but forced to be the leading scorer on this team...paying attention yet. Pike bringing back Hyatt instead of recruiting over him in the portal knowing Mag could miss at least half the season. Then injured player Mag is cleared to play yet drifts in and out of the lineup rumored to be saving himself for a bag somewhere else. But worse yet Pike's prize recruit made a painful transition to D1 hoops failing to grasp how to play defense and then could not even rely on his shot to get him minutes. Oh we are not done yet. An undersized underrecruited guard who had one local beat writer writing love letters about has the worst fg percentage of all power conference guards.

Let us hold back on advancing a narrative its Cams and Pauls fault. This was coming from 3 years of major misses in recruiting, being too loyal to some players and refusing to recruit players to challenge returning players. I can list a half dozen or more players that should never have been in the progam as Big 10 players and for Pike to try to get by with such a thin margin of depth for 3 years running inexcusable. The performance tonight was predictable given this team has checked out and only maybe 3-4 of these players will be back next season. However there is a thing called pride and its unacceptable that RU did not show an ounce of one today. Getting down 16-3 and then doors blown off to start the 2nd half going down feebly and looking like a laughingstock. If any team in the past decade is unlikable...its this one. Fair or not.

Next year the #2 and #3 players are coming for a one year stay along with some other highly recruited players. There is reason for optimism. Expectations will be high. But the program is going nowhere if Pikiell cannot put the right parts in place for this once in a lifetime run...and remember when they are gone after next year, the program has to be able to live to. Its a dance with the devil but anything is better than this season. Pikes team traditionally take time to gel and he struggles with coming up with offensive gameplan. Next years team will be required to produce right out of the gate. I am not overly confident this is going to happen. Its going to take a major change in demeanor from this staff and what they demand from the players and yes I think Pike is too easy on players and maybe there is something to those Spencers comments. So thankfully this season has come to an end. Good or bad, next year is going to be completely different and embracing brand new expectations and challenges. There is no honeymoon anymore. Rutgers is expecting to make the NCAA tourney next season. Rutgers is expected to have a successful season. The excuses and mea culpa need to end. This is not Rutgers coming off of Eddie Joran. Pikiell is entering his 9th season. He is getting paid a shit ton of money to deliver. Next year he must deliver.

This team was dead on arrival before their first training camp practice. Glad to put the season to bed. Worse season in 8 years...I can live with it.

Next year get me in the tournament with 2 lottery picks coming in, that's not a big ask IMO. This off-season is huge. Blow the team up and let the chips fall where they may.

I hope they do because this one still has 15 minutes to go and it is quite clear this season needs to be put out of its misery. Rutgers on their way to their 7th loss in their last 8 games. A tank job that would make Fred Hill look bashful. Performance has been so bad I did not even do a recap for last game and the only reason I am doing one here is because it is the last game of the season. I do not want to hear about next season. What I saw this season has me very concerned about roster management, ability to get a feel for the portal and the unfortunate stubborness of loyalty. Pikiell may have been sandbagged by the departures of Cam and Paul but he bares most of the brunt of what happened. He brought in 3 injured players for a team that had an injured guy coming back. That injured guy by the way played the staff for more $$$ which to me a giant red flag. One of the 3 guys also had a gambling issue held over his head and missed half the season. Another guy is a major project that is only good for a few minutes. The first target and prize of the portal class was a 24 year old out of shape with a family which means his focus was never going to be on hoops. Pike brought back a guy who is 8th man on most teams but forced to be the leading scorer on this team...paying attention yet. Pike bringing back Hyatt instead of recruiting over him in the portal knowing Mag could miss at least half the season. Then injured player Mag is cleared to play yet drifts in and out of the lineup rumored to be saving himself for a bag somewhere else. But worse yet Pike's prize recruit made a painful transition to D1 hoops failing to grasp how to play defense and then could not even rely on his shot to get him minutes. Oh we are not done yet. An undersized underrecruited guard who had one local beat writer writing love letters about has the worst fg percentage of all power conference guards.

Let us hold back on advancing a narrative its Cams and Pauls fault. This was coming from 3 years of major misses in recruiting, being too loyal to some players and refusing to recruit players to challenge returning players. I can list a half dozen or more players that should never have been in the progam as Big 10 players and for Pike to try to get by with such a thin margin of depth for 3 years running inexcusable. The performance tonight was predictable given this team has checked out and only maybe 3-4 of these players will be back next season. However there is a thing called pride and its unacceptable that RU did not show an ounce of one today. Getting down 16-3 and then doors blown off to start the 2nd half going down feebly and looking like a laughingstock. If any team in the past decade is unlikable...its this one. Fair or not.

Next year the #2 and #3 players are coming for a one year stay along with some other highly recruited players. There is reason for optimism. Expectations will be high. But the program is going nowhere if Pikiell cannot put the right parts in place for this once in a lifetime run...and remember when they are gone after next year, the program has to be able to live to. Its a dance with the devil but anything is better than this season. Pikes team traditionally take time to gel and he struggles with coming up with offensive gameplan. Next years team will be required to produce right out of the gate. I am not overly confident this is going to happen. Its going to take a major change in demeanor from this staff and what they demand from the players and yes I think Pike is too easy on players and maybe there is something to those Spencers comments. So thankfully this season has come to an end. Good or bad, next year is going to be completely different and embracing brand new expectations and challenges. There is no honeymoon anymore. Rutgers is expecting to make the NCAA tourney next season. Rutgers is expected to have a successful season. The excuses and mea culpa need to end. This is not Rutgers coming off of Eddie Joran. Pikiell is entering his 9th season. He is getting paid a shit ton of money to deliver. Next year he must deliver.

Amen.

...it seems like this basketball season was a complete waste of time with almost zero redeeming qualities. The team was disjointed at best and quite frankly looked like they flat-out quit over the last few weeks. Win, lose or draw I can always at least appreciate effort...whoever got NIL money on this squad should be grateful there's no refund policy.

Joe P.

I recognize this is a dumb “if” because its not the case. But IF dylan and ace werent coming here next year, these boards would be ablaze will calls for pikes head. Weve regressed every year since the 2019-2020 season
well it would depend on who was coming in instead but yes.....BUT I believe at least on this board a strong faction of fans who think Pike can do no wrong

...it seems like this basketball season was a complete waste of time with almost zero redeeming qualities. The team was disjointed at best and quite frankly looked like they flat-out quit over the last few weeks. Win, lose or draw I can always at least appreciate effort...whoever got NIL money on this squad should be grateful there's no refund policy.

Joe P.
that would be great if they had to give the money bac...only fair right

well it would depend on who was coming in instead but yes.....BUT I believe at least on this board a strong faction of fans who think Pike can do no wrong
Agreed. Again, i honestly didnt watch many games this year but as you know, ive been saying for years that pike needs to put some effort into making our offense look competent. Rolling the ball out and basically saying play street ball isnt an acceptable offensive game plan for the money hes making

I recognize this is a dumb “if” because it’s not the case. But IF dylan and ace werent coming here next year, these boards would be ablaze will calls for pikes head. Weve regressed every year since the 2019-2020 season
We’d be calling for his head because he wouldn’t be addressing the primary cause of the regression — talent. He’s done that, so the guillotine only comes out if he fails to maximize it

Great summary, Bac. After this debacle, expectations may need to be lowered for next year. It would be surprising if Pike can do well in the transfer portal given his history, and how realistic is it to expect him to introduce a more effective offense after so much futility?

I recognize this is a dumb “if” because its not the case. But IF dylan and ace werent coming here next year, these boards would be ablaze will calls for pikes head. Weve regressed every year since the 2019-2020 season
Yes if Pike didn't bring in the best recruiting class in school history, things would be different

It's one bad year. It happens to way more prestigious bball programs than Rutgers

Different version coming now. Kids won't play for pride. They are playing for money now. Who gives a shit what the alma mater is when all they care about now is the money. You laugh. I don't wanna see guys lined up after the game singing it
Imagine a player transferring every year. He'd have to learn 4 songs.

Great summary, Bac. After this debacle, expectations may need to be lowered for next year. It would be surprising if Pike can do well in the transfer portal given his history, and how realistic is it to expect him to introduce a more effective offense after so much futility?
No. Expectations need to be high. And if expectations arent met coaches should be held accountable. They have everything at their disposable next season. Theyve been given every resource in the world.

- big salary pool
- 2 lottery picks
- top 10 facility
- top 5 home court

It’s time to raise the bar. Year 9. Kid gloves off

If next year's class is a once in a lifetime recruiting event than the long-term viability of this coach can be questioned. However, my hope is that he can build on next year's class and bring in elite talent every year going forward. Yes, this was an off year, but we are talking about a realistic chance to make a very deep run in the tournament next year. Rutgers fans need to put this season behind them tonight and focus on what could be an upcoming historic year. Enough with the negativity.

Not me. I like Pike and will always be indebted to him for getting us to the dance and out of the abyss.

However his Mr Nice Guy attitude / personality is wearing thin and he gets taken advantage off too much a la Eugene / Cam / Paul and Mag etc.

At times I wonder whether he really has a pulse of his locker room.

Anyways He needs to put his mean mustache on - a la Hurley /Pitino etc and gut this Locker room

Only players to keep are JWill / Gavin and JMIke.

Start having the talks on the plane home and have them enter the portal tomorrow !

Last edited:
Highly recommend YouTube video series called “why this offense is basketball poetry”
Hoop vision 68
It will make you want to fire Pike for malpractice.
Pike should spend all offseason watching it.

No. Expectations need to be high. And if expectations arent met coaches should be held accountable. They have everything at their disposable next season. Theyve been given every resource in the world.

- big salary pool
- 2 lottery picks
- top 10 facility
- top 5 home court

X1000000

I quit watching the game at 6:35, the team quit before I did.

Down 9-0 Maryland coming down court, JWill was back on defense running along side Reese, no one behind him. JWill stops at the foul line, Reese continues towards the rim. Ball lobbed in for an easy 2, 11-0. Any player that can read the game has to defend Reese until Cliff gets back. Game over for me and the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Not me. I like Pike and will always be indebted to him for getting us to the dance and out of the abyss.

However his Mr Nice Guy attitude / personality is wearing thin and he gets taken advantage off too much a la Eugene / Cam / Paul and Mag etc.

At times I wonder whether he really has a pulse of his locker room.

Anyways He needs to put his mean mustache on - a la Hurley /Pitino etc and gut this Locker room

Only players to keep are JWill / Gavin and JMIke.

Start having the talks on the plane home and have them enter the portal tomorrow !
90-69 (50-50) since the start of 2019-20. Far better than we were yes, but no more taking comfort in “competitive” basketball next year.

Fvcking nailed it. We have all sat by and watched this disappointing excuse for a season. There are legitimate issues that have been apparent almost from the jump of Pike’s career but we understandably and justifiably gave him some slack and time. He produced, with the help of generational players who came thru in the clutch moreso than any team in the past 3 decades. But these same problems were apparent then as they are now. We just didnt have “The Guy(s)” this year to get over the hump or hide the warts.

Every single member of the staff and AD as a whole HAS to understand that next year is it. Its our chance. Maybe our only chance to change the trajectory and status of this program forever. If they fvck this up, we’re cooked. The rot will start. The pitchforks will be sharpened, the fires will burn. On top pf that the word will be out that this program cant handle the juice. This is so just so critical. There needs to be offensive identity, there needs to be accountability, there needs to be a borderline paradigm shift and that scares me. Really doesn’t feel like Pike’s bag.

I say all of this from the same place I have been from the start. We have to have perspective. Some years ago to even think of being able to have a discussion of this specific circumstance and crossroads we find ourselves at is remarkable. Truly remarkable. And how quickly we all tend to forget that. For solid reasons. Coaches (and now players) getting paid huge sums of money to coach/play games for our entertainment (and crippling frustration). But that being the case. Its put up or shut up time now. Approaching a decade into this regime. They have to harness this moment, make good decisions, and capitalize on the opportunity. Because it may not happen again.

No worries, Dylan and Ace will teach the coaching staff how an offense is run.

- big salary pool
- 2 lottery picks
- top 10 facility
- top 5 home court

How high should the expectations be? Final Four? Sweet 16? Elite 8? We would all love to see that. Sure, you can have all the high expectations for next year that you want, but are they realistic given what we have seen are the limitations of this coaching staff? They would have to do a 180 degree turnaround to install a good offense and succeed in the transfer portal. It would be great if they could do such a turnaround, but, after 8 years of a putrid offense and weak transfer recruiting, how likely is that to happen?

Next year will be the most important year of Pike's career. Let's hope he succeeds and accomplishes something with the stellar players he has recruited. And ,if he doesn't , yes, let's hold him accountable.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
Different version coming now. Kids won't play for pride. They are playing for money now. Who gives a shit what the alma mater is when all they care about now is the money. You laugh. I don't wanna see guys lined up after the game singing it
Imagine a player transferring every year. He'd have to learn 4 songs.
It is sad. Almost makes you turn off the TV.

Reactions: bac2therac

The problem is we have the #2,3 players coming in but many teams also have this every year and don’t make the final 4 so a lot has to go right especially for this coaching staff!!

Yes if Pike didn't bring in the best recruiting class in school history, things would be different

It's one bad year. It happens to way more prestigious bball programs than Rutgers
One bad year coming off the worst collapse in school history.

Pike gets a Mulligan for this season,Cam and Paul have nothing to do with it.
Making Rutgers into a program that a season like this is totally unacceptable
and not looked at as same old same old BS makes me give Pike next year to show he can keep RU climbing up towards being a top program.
I expect better from the team next year and will consider this year a one time step back.
Hot seat if next year is a bad one

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT