ADVERTISEMENT

Post NCAA analysis...

jerzey devil

All American
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2004
With arguably the best season Rutgers wrestling has ever had in the books.. I thought I would take a lil time and present my analysis of the NCAA tourney as it pertained to RU wrestlers.. From what I saw, as I watched practically every RU match....

125 McCabe... Probably the worst draw he could've gotten.. Had to really beat Oliver in his first match to give himself a shot... Decent season, and a improved one from last year, with a trip to MSG being the reward.. Hopefully he can make it back next year and make a run at AA.. The talent is there, need to get a lil stronger, and have the confidence that he can go with just about anyone...

133 Giraldo... same boat as McCabe was in... Really needed to win that first bout, as I knew he wasn't beating Beckman in wrestleback.. Just don't think he could will his body to do what he had to do... Was realy cutting too much weight, and by March I think it really affected him... As for next year...Well there's the million dollar question as to what weight he will actually go... Personally I don't see him going less that 149, and if he dedicates himself to the weight room, 165 isn't totally out of the realm.... Will be interesting to see what happens here..

141.. Ashnault... First RU wrestler to AA as frosh and soph... What more is there to say about his performance.. He just lives and breaths, not just wrestling... But RU wrestling.. In his wrestleback semi vs Chisko.. He went for the major to get the team bonus points!! That says it all about his character!! He brought his A game to MSG and it showed... Only losses were to #1 and #2 seeds... Looking back, you can easily see the improvement he made from last year to this year.. Hopefully he can take that next step and make it to the finals!!

149... Dippery.. Another one who stepped it up as the year progressed.. Made the most of his opportunities at the B1G's and was rewarded with a trip to the dance! At the VERY least, he provides quality depth next year...

157... Lewis... If there was a disapointment this weekend, it was him... Lost a heartbreaker to eventual 3rd place finisher Brascetta, and didn't seem to recover from that.. Another one to keep an eye on as to what happens next year.. Does he redshirt, and prep for a run in '18? does he stay at 157? or bulk to 165? Will be interesting to see how it plays out..

165 Perrotti...aka "the human headache" Kid is as tough as they come.. came to Rutgers without any real fanfare.. And leaves as a legend!! First ever RU wrestler to AA at 2 different weights!! Had as big a heart as anyone on the team!! His post tourney interview on R-vision was just flat out awesome!! He will be missed, but not soon forgotten on the banks!!

174 Bakuckas...Another one who arrived without any accolades, and has built himself to be a more than solid wrestler!! Great to see him rewarded with a trip to MSG!! He really did all he could do out there!! Hopefully he can continue his improvement, and maybe make a run next year for AA!!

184... Gravina... Showed he still has a long ways to go at the NCAA's.. But you can easily see he has a huge upside!! A win in Dec. over an eventual NCAA finalist...Needs to become a better situational wrestler.. But that comes with experience...Hopefully he can get out there in the summer circuit to build off of this season...Grow a lil more into 184.. Has huge potential next year!!

197... Hrymack... Ultimate team wrestler all 4 years! Unfortunatly, wasn't able to take his redshirt year... But he made the most out of it, by qualifying for the NCAA's!! Kid will be a success in whatever he does!!

285.. Smith... Just could never get over that "mental hump" and podium.. Over 100 career wins!! Several of them won some huge matches for us!! Just really wanted him to finally get on that podium.. But wasn't meant to be I guess..

Overall, solid performance finishing 15th in the country..2 AA's... Getting a semi-finalist on ESPN...#10 dual meet team... Could things have went better in spots? Most definitely... But this is the toughest tournament in the country..22 returning AA's, failed to reach that status again this year!! (not all AA were from last year)... Of the 80 AA's this year... 25 were seeded 9th or lower.. including 5 unseeded, and 8 seeded 13-16... Of the 25 seeded wrestlers who didn't AA... 8 were seeded top 4... Also only 4 weight classes wrestled to seed to the semi's...But only 1 #1 seed (125) didn't reach the finals... Although only 5 #2 seeds made the finals.. Of the 6 lower seeds to make finals.. 2-#3's... a 4, 7, 11, and 14 seed all made the finals.. 174 saw the most upheaval as #'s 2-5 seeds all failed to make AA... So what to expect for next year? Think as a dual team, we will take a step back... Just too much inexperience at key weights.. And a lot of uncertainty in the mid weights... But another top 15-20 run in the NCAA's is doable, depending on how the lineup shakes out.. Hell, Va. Tech finished 4th without a single finalist.. But they did have 6 AA's!! These are exciting times to be an RU wrestling fan!!

I'm curious if Ashnault can get to 133 without sacrificing strength and stamina. 141 is loaded and AA is either the same size as most or even a bit smaller.

I'm curious if Ashnault can get to 133 without sacrificing strength and stamina. 141 is loaded and AA is either the same size as most or even a bit smaller.

and see Giraldo 2.0? no thanks.. I just cant fathom, let alone seeing that happen

Reactions: obrats
AA stays at 141 and Giraldo is done cutting weight. He is fine mentally for those who questioned whether he would quit. Not happening. He will challenge at 149 with Dip most likely with Theo at 157 hopefully. Lewis goes to 165 and our frosh red shirt. Question is 197 and 285.

I don't care how loaded 141 is next year. Ash will do what it takes to be right in the mix. He isn't going 33 he will train harder and figure it out. Kid is a hammer and thank the lord we have him for 2 more years.

Reactions: DUForever

Ant plans on staying at 41 for the whole ride. It's not in his DNA to move to a possible 'easier' weight. His mindset since he was a kid is that "others should move not him, it's his weight to win." This will only motivated and make him better. He'll need some time for the knee to heal up. But knowing him he'll be back in the saddle in a couple weeks.

I was very impressed by the 141 from Wyoming taking 2nd.
I thought he was more dangerous than Heil or McKenna.

wng,I know that jab was at me,about the Giraldo"quitting".Being in the wrestling world,as a competitor,coach,and now observer,you can't help but think the kid is burnt out,by his approach too the sport and his mindset.Believe me,it would be disasterous if he left.I think the key to him succeeding is being somewhere around 157lbs.If he lifts and trains real hard,that will be an easy weight for him to maintain.I think he would dominate at that weight.Richie would redshirt and come back at 165 lbs.

Creedo

I was not taking a shot at you, believe me. I wanted to assure everyone AG was not "burnt out". Cutting the weight was killing him and it showed in his performance. He is a great kid and I would be happy if he goes at 197 or 285.

141 is loaded but that is partly because Ashnault is there. He can beat everyone. the only reason to change weights when you're at that level (imo), it's because you grow out of the weight. 141 will see kids move up from 133 and kids leave to go 149 (or 165 if your Steven Rodrigues). Ash should wrestle at whatever weight he feels best.

as for the tournament, it was amazing. tough to consider a 15th place finish with two All Americans anything but a success. it is of course dissapointing that Smith never medaled but he is a 4X qualifier with over 100 wins. He should feel immensely proud of his college career without a doubt.

I'm sure there were guys that could of or should won more bouts but 10 qualifiers and the 2, 2X All Americans is the headline and it is a mighty fine headline.

i spoke with Giraldo at Big Tens and last night...loves RU, loves competing, loves wrestling, and absolutely not burned out. He weighted in every day for last 40 days. It is time for him to go to 149/157. Just like it was for Perrotti, moving up is often better than sucking down.

i spoke with Giraldo at Big Tens and last night...loves RU, loves competing, loves wrestling, and absolutely not burned out. He weighted in every day for last 40 days. It is time for him to go to 149/157. Just like it was for Perrotti, moving up is often better than sucking down.

Agreed, Rodriguez from Illinois was 141 last year. This Year made the podium at 165.

Last edited:
Part if the reason for the big jump was IMAR. If there was no IMAR he would have been at 157

Was actually surprised AA didn't beat Heil. He has a lot of fans in State College. Met a lot of RU people at nationals, very smart wrestling fans. Best of luck next year.

Reactions: DUForever
Was actually surprised AA didn't beat Heil. He has a lot of fans in State College. Met a lot of RU people at nationals, very smart wrestling fans. Best of luck next year.
I was sitting with some PSU fans and we all got along and had great conversations. They were also pulling for Ashnault. They were from wrestling district 4 in PA.

I was sitting with some PSU fans and we all got along and had great conversations. They were also pulling for Ashnault. They were from wrestling district 4 in PA.

I live in District 4, do you remember what town they were from?

141 is loaded but that is partly because Ashnault is there. He can beat everyone. the only reason to change weights when you're at that level (imo), it's because you grow out of the weight. 141 will see kids move up from 133 and kids leave to go 149 (or 165 if your Steven Rodrigues). Ash should wrestle at whatever weight he feels best.

Agree 150%. If you think Ash is switching weights to avoid anybody than you haven't been paying attention to this kid. He probably has a picture of Heil on his mirror today. The idea that he should bump up because it's "loaded" is absurd.

Agree 150%. If you think Ash is switching weights to avoid anybody than you haven't been paying attention to this kid. He probably has a picture of Heil on his mirror today. The idea that he should bump up because it's "loaded" is absurd.
I second that thought. Anthony respects everyone but fears no one. The only bump up that he is making is to the top step of the 141 podium. Great wrestler even better young man.

Reactions: TRU2RU

Only way u might have seen Ashnault bump to 149 next year would've been if he won 141 this year...even then, I'm not sure he would bump up just to chase Retherford

I think I was sitting next to @RUCreedo, he wasn't giving me any space between periods :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Ha!..Yeah,my grammar sucks and I graduated with a decent GPA from Rutgers,and it certainly wasn't with a degree in Literature or English.Just too clear things up here guys! I am in no way trying too take a jab at AG.Most of us have got to be on defense mode,with our past history or recruits and transfers.Camp,Mason,Winston,where all guys who if you said would not make the podium at NCAA's,I would of told you,you where nutts. Weight cuttin sucks.Believe me you,I know first hand.I think he would be great at 157lbs. It's only 24lbs.I'm sure he weighs at least 150lbs on the off season.He gets a little R and R the next couple of weeks and then hits the gym,hard,we'll a see a force in that kid.The key to him is his strength,along with Dip and Mac.He has got too hit the weights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT