ADVERTISEMENT

Post your Rutgers Football Trivia Question/Answers!

RCTrooper

All American
Apr 9, 2010
Post a Rutgers Football question and after a few guesses, a verified answer.

I'll start with a tough one:

Who is the only Rutgers punter who punted in the NFL (regular season)?

Post a Rutgers Football question and after a few guesses, a verified answer.

I'll start with a tough one:

Who is the only Rutgers punter who punted in the NFL (regular season)?

The first name that came to mind is Deron Cherry. Wonder if he ever punted in the NFL.

Walter "Fitz" French, Rutgers Class of 1922, punted (in addition to other duties) for the 1925 NFL Pottsville Maroons. He also played for the Philadelphia Athletics making him the only Rutgers player to play in MLB and the NFL.

What were the original colors of Rutgers before scarlet?

What is the cumulative record of the Rutgers football team when playing on Friday the 13th?

What professional sports team sent its general manager to the College Avenue Gym area to see if they could hold pre-season training there?

How many different amounts of players has Rutgers played at least one regulation game with? (Remember, the first game was with 25 men at a time and today it's 11.)

Who was the first major league baseball team to play at Rutgers and when?

Last edited:
Ding Ding Ding Ding. He punter in 11 games for the Cardinals in 2007.

Next?

Mike Barr has always been a favorite player of mine. I was something like 10-13 years old during his time on the Banks in which he also worked for my Father at the RUGC. He could punt the ball 70+ yards like it was nothing and was a really nice guy.

What idiot brought a shovel to the old RU Stadium and cleared the snow off the steps so that he could run them?

Bobby Wallace was one of the worst football coaches in Division 1 history, winning only 17 D1 games over an 8 year tenure at Temple. What was his record vs Rutgers ?

Bobby Wallace was one of the worst football coaches in Division 1 history, winning only 17 D1 games over an 8 year tenure at Temple. What was his record vs Rutgers ?

Good god, I don't want to know! But I had to look it up - the whole idea of Temple being able to put up 40, 50+ points against us.....that tells you just how bad we were back then.

What were the original colors of Rutgers before scarlet?
For over a year, orange, white and blue (mimicking the Dutch tri-color flag) represented Rutgers and the students hated the colors wanting scarlet or cherry-red. On May 17, 1869 at Kirkpatrick Chapel, the students voted in scarlet. In 1900, the Rutgers administration officially sanctioned it.

What is the cumulative record of the Rutgers football team when playing on Friday the 13th?
Trick question. Rutgers has never played a football game on any Friday the 13th in its 146 year history.

What professional sports team sent its general manager to the College Avenue Gym area to see if they could hold pre-season training there?
Ed Barrow and manager Joe McCarthy of the New York Yankees checked out the Gym in 1943 when WWII fuel restrictions limited the local MLB teams to spring training around the area. The NYY eventually settled on Asbury Park for Yankees spring training in 1943.

How many different amounts of players has Rutgers played at least one regulation game with? (Remember, the first game was with 25 men at a time and today it's 11.)
The Rutgers football team has played regulation games with 25, 20, 15, 11 and 9 man teams in its 146 year history. No one else has done that.

Who was the first major league baseball team to play at Rutgers and when?
Manager John McCloskey telegrammed manager Harry Shine of the local, semi-pro Brunswicks that they wished to come down after a doubleheader with the Giants and play Brunswick on Neilson Field at Rutgers on October 2, 1906. St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Fred Beebe was the winning pitcher in a 9-3 victory over the Brunswicks. A record crowd of 2,000 witnessed it.

Reactions: RUReadyD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT