ADVERTISEMENT

Presidential Pay news link not Ru specific

If you didn't say it in your OP with the headline, I was thinking more NY Post than The Grey Lady. lol

I don't think that a million dollars a year is out of line for a major university presidency, but a multimillion dollar retirement package does seem excessive.

The bigger issue is the move from full-time professors to part-time adjuncts who are woefully underpaid. I support a shift from a large pool of part-time adjuncts to a smaller number of professors, who are paid well but have increased teaching loads.

-Scarlet Jerry

I don't think that a million dollars a year is out of line for a major university presidency, but a multimillion dollar retirement package does seem excessive.

The bigger issue is the move from full-time professors to part-time adjuncts who are woefully underpaid. I support a shift from a large pool of part-time adjuncts to a smaller number of professors, who are paid well but have increased teaching loads.

-Scarlet Jerry

You are right to criticize the increased reliance on part-timers.

The problem with higher teaching loads is that Rutgers wants professors to do and publish research, and the higher the teaching load, the harder that is for faculty. Moreover, I think you'd find that teaching loads at Rutgers are no less than at other institutions, so a heavier load makes it more difficult to recruit the kind of faculty we want -- and that the students deserve.

What Rutgers ideally would do is hire more full-time faculty, but that is difficult under present financial conditions.

It is a shame that it takes so much money to hire a good University President, but keep in mind that the kind of person you want to have as a University president is rather rare. You need someone who is not only a distinguished scholar (at least generally), but also has the people and managerial skills required -- and being a professor is not necessarily a good way to acquire those skills. Moreover, keep in mind that at most institutions a presidency only lasts five to seven years, and so there is a narrow window for presidents to make substantial money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT