ADVERTISEMENT

Prolific SEC QB available for RU in the portal

Not true.. we ran a couple successful screens vs Maryland. But the point is true enough.. it took all season. We tried a few.. the Michigan one stands out and showed me that GW might not be seeing the field well enough, quickly enough, to make good decisions. But we have seen those WTF-was-that moments from every QB in recent memory... including Simon in past years.

Still, I really wanted to see Simon. When we did see him, he threw those short passes with good pace, and better yet, good "PLACE"... to be caught and get some sweet, sweet YAC.
No reads on screens. No option B. Incomplete is option B.

No accomplished QB will come to Rutgers unless they will be the starting QB. And if that happened, do you think Gavin would not then put his name in the portal?

With the antiquated offense we run and standing around looking at the sidelines working the play clock to zero isn't likely to attract any accomplished QB's if we are being honest.

I know Schiano won't do it, but the offense we run is painful. Mostly because you know no real ballers want to play in it. At least QB's or WR's.

No accomplished QB will come to Rutgers unless they will be the starting QB. And if that happened, do you think Gavin would not then put his name in the portal?
I would love Gavin to put his name in the portal!

• Love
Reactions: RUTGERS95
I would love Gavin to put his name in the portal!
I'd be ambivalent about it. I would have expected Gavin to have fixed more, and developed more, by now... but he still has a window to being a great QB.. I don't think it is physical ability holding him back. He needs the right QB coaching and to commit to it 100%.

I'd be ambivalent about it. I would have expected Gavin to have fixed more, and developed more, by now... but he still has a window to being a great QB.. I don't think it is physical ability holding him back. He needs the right QB coaching and to commit to it 100%.
If it's not a physical thing or a mechanic's issue it's simply the yips. You see it more in baseball where the player has lost his release point. That turns into a mental problem which is very hard to cure.

If it's not a physical thing or a mechanic's issue it's simply the yips. You see it more in baseball where the player has lost his release point. That turns into a mental problem which is very hard to cure.
No.. I think it is sloppiness. I think his big arm caused him to not learn proper form. I know, I know.. people will point to Mahomes when I say bad form.. but you see any of that QB show that ran this summer? Featured Cousins and Mahomes... Mahomes practices his "bad form" throws over and over and over... with a purpose. And his feet are so quick, quickly shape themselves to support almost every throw.

I think Wimsatt doesn't pay much attention to his feet. Even when he has time he throws with one of the legs (or both) in the air.. in motion. He rarely plants the back and drives off it in the direction of his throw. His throws are all arm.. most of the time. In the last couple game he had some nice early throws where he showed decent form. Then it disappears.

It is frustrating because this is a kid we should be able to root for. And that arm.. while he does seem to have vision issues which cannot be helped by quick feet that support his throwing motion... another 10% in completion rate could make all teh difference.. not having his long throws sail out of bounds.. accuracy that allows for YAC... just, wow.. what a 10% difference can do means so much more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT