ADVERTISEMENT

QB battle article on nj.com

There's no QB battle. Wimsatt would have to tank it for there to be one.
Winsatt’s best drive was the last one against BC when he handed the ball off every down against a worn out D. Ironically the one pass attempted during that drive was wildly inaccurate. If this is who you’re hanging your hat on, God bless ya

Reactions: wheezer
Winsatt’s best drive was the last one against BC when he handed the ball off every down against a worn out D. Ironically the one pass attempted during that drive was wildly inaccurate. If this is who you’re hanging your hat on, God bless ya

Did I say that? I'm just voicing what the current reality is: it's his job to lose.

And let's not forget that Vedral was supposed to be the starter last year, and Wimsatt was going to be worked in over the first half of the season.

Did I say that? I'm just voicing what the current reality is: it's his job to lose.

And let's not forget that Vedral was supposed to be the starter last year, and Wimsatt was going to be worked in over the first half of the season.
Reality is he isn’t any good. And if it’s “his job to lose” that tells you all u need to know about the QB room

The negativity comes from everything sounding like groundhogs day. Both of these qbs have been in the program for years now. Time to freaking pick one and get him as many reps with the 1s as possible. Doing this open competition thing every single year hasn’t worked worth a sh-t. If its seriously that close between them flip a coin or something.

If he wasn't hurt he'd have legs to help him last year .That was one of his advantages. Give him a break.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I have no idea how good or bad we will be. But in the position he’s in, there was zero chance of Schiano deploying the strategy of optimism Pike applied last year (before the Lafayette, UMass, and DePaul losses). What would be the point? Nothing he’s going to say pre-season is going to dramatically impact ticket sales. Not with our starting point. So even if he were cautiously optimist that we could surprise some teams this year, it doesn’t serve his interest to say so now. He’d look far worse optically saying we’re improved now and then disappointing than sticking with his punch line. And if we do overachieve expectations, fans will be pleasantly surprised since he tempered expectations.

Again - I’m not expecting us to be good. I’m just saying that even if he’s happy with what he’s seeing in practice we’re not going to hear about that now. No way.

The negativity comes from everything sounding like groundhogs day. Both of these qbs have been in the program for years now. Time to freaking pick one and get him as many reps with the 1s as possible. Doing this open competition thing every single year hasn’t worked worth a sh-t. If its seriously that close between them flip a coin or something.

All I’ve got - from what I understand Gleason wasn’t all that focused on QB development. So all new offensive staff giving all the guys a chance.

Last edited:
Way too early to turn the page on Wimsatt. He has the most physical talent at the position. The key is will he recognize coverages more quickly and will he improve on accurately getting it there. He has the arm and wheels that are needed to be good.

You can pretty much cut and paste the same comments from every spring camp. So tiring…

QBs

Greg is a cliche machine - always was and always will be.
But most coaches, players and interviewers in US sports are canned spam.
I cant turn off games fast enough when they are over and some bimbo rushes out to ask winning players "How does it fee!?"

I like to watch foreign things like Tour de France because smart questions are asked and real answers follow

Reactions: RU677381
Ok so
Reality is he isn’t any good. And if it’s “his job to lose” that tells you all u need to know about the QB room
So he couldn’t have improved huh from his freshman season? How was nova his fresh year? Why don’t you all stop ur fn whining.

Ok so
So he couldn’t have improved huh from his freshman season? How was nova his fresh year? Why don’t you all stop ur fn whining.
Have posted these stats numerous times, and the Debbie Downers seem to forget that with a limited number of reps and experience, QBs make mistakes their first 2 years. Throw in Wimsatt's age, the OL, the supporting cast and his injury last year, and what should fans reasonably expect?:

Teel:
2005- 51/101 50.5% 2 TD/10 INT
2006 164/296 55.4% 12 TD/13 INT
2007 203/349 58.2% 20 TD/13 INT
2008 243/396 61.4% 25 TD/13 INT

Nova:
2011- 10/116 51.1% 11 TD/9 INT
2012- 221/388 57% 22 TD/16 INT
2013- 165/303 54.5% 18 TD/14 INT
2014- 187/327 57.2% 22 TD/12 INT

Wimsatt:
2021- 9/21 42.9% 0 TD/2 INT
2022- 65/145 44.8% 5 TD/7 INT

Another random stats
EJ Manuel
Fr- 69/106 2 TD/6 INT
So- 65/93 4 TD/6 INT
Jr- 203/311 18 TD/8 INT
SR 263/387 23 TD/10 INT

Reactions: RUskoolie
We are in better shape than Alabama at QB. CFP here we come

Another team Rutgers has passed in the CFP race in the way too early to tell Spring judgment-Georgia!!

If he wasn't hurt he'd have legs to help him last year .That was one of his advantages. Give him a break.
My major concern is, he couldn't even hit a screen pass. Those are supposed to be the easy ones, but he made them into an adventure.

This program hasn't had an OC focused on QB development since Friedgen.

Been saying it since HC Schiano came back (and even before).
Need a dedicated QB coach.
None of this OC/QB nonsense.

With HC Schiano able to contribute on the defensive side the staff should be weighted to the offense 6-4 (or 5-4-ST)
Last I checked even our offensive assistants were former defensive players.

Offense:
OC
QB
OL
WR
RB
TE (or don't have a dedicated TE if you want a dedicated ST coach)

Defense:
HC (Schiano can contribute).
DC
DL
LB
DB

Didn't he have like a 95 yard drive versus Michigan St. topped off with about a 20 yard TD pass?

Reactions: Kbee3
Good point.. it could have contributed to throwing off back leg a bit too often.. but he tended to be all-arm.. but so is the current QB GOAT at KC.. he doesn't care what his feet are doing.

I think our new OC has it right.. it is about KNOWING what he sees and what he should see before the snap... forget about rote memorization of exact target list priorities and know that, given a certain look of the D at snap.. that the hot receivers are x, y and maybe Z and where they are likely to be open and do everything to get ready to throw it there. And know that if he fakes a look to z then that will help x get some room to a throw to a spot.. or get him room to run if he makes the defender move a certain way.

And as it was put by some coach.. you can see players "thinking" with their feet instead of reacting instinctually. Once Wimsatt gets to that instinctual zone, at the speed of a Big Ten college game, he should have the body and arm to get it done. Perhaps others do as well... we shall see.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT