ADVERTISEMENT

Quayshon Alexander sounds like he's all but committed to Nebraska

Nebraska (11 NC) is a historic program with success almost as close as Alabama but far ahead of PSU (7NC). But, in the last 10 years they have lost their luster. Still a great program, just not what they once were. If all things were equal I could see him picking Nebraska. But things aren't equal, he is from NJ, he would still be close to home, and close to the media capital of the planet. But, some kids want to go far away for college. We will see on this one.

Nebraska (11 NC) is a historic program with success almost as close as Alabama but far ahead of PSU (7NC). But, in the last 10 years they have lost their luster. Still a great program, just not what they once were. If all things were equal I could see him picking Nebraska. But things aren't equal, he is from NJ, he would still be close to home, and close to the media capital of the planet. But, some kids want to go far away for college. We will see on this one.
I keep hearing "close to the media capital", but what does that really mean today?? Alabama is not close to the media capital, neither is Ohio State, Michigan, etc. It means nothing in terms of college sports. ESPN, ABC, etc are national stations--games showcased on those channels will be shown nationwide unless the teams playing are of only regional interest. I don't think it's necessarily a selling point, particularly for kids who grew up in NY, NJ, unless they prefer to be close to home, and let's face it, not all kids feel the need to be close to home. No other school is using a city in another state (and an hour away) as a selling point and are able to attract the talent just fine. RU needs to sell kids on RU instead of the NYC media market because in the digital age I don't think it really exists anymore.

Sorry to disagree. Even today a RB rushing for 200 yards/game playing in the B1G with RU & Nebraska having similar records will by hyped here more than Lincoln. I have all the respect in the world for Nebraska.

Can we address THIS ^^^^^^^ please? Where is he is 4 star, top 150 recruit? A nice player...yes. Would I like him at RU? Sure...if he's at the top of RU's board at DE, which I do not think he is. There are others I would prefer. (No sour grapes. Honestly, there are others we are doing well with that I prefer to get.) Now, whether we get them or not is another story, but I think we will get a couple of really good DEs.

Sure. It is in the article linked by the OP

"Alexander is a four star prospect according to 247Sports and ESPN and a three-star prospect according to Rivals and Scout. 247Sports ranks Alexander as the 143rd player in the country. ESPN ranks Alexander as the 269th player in the country."

So long as they can beat the big boys on the field (See Michigan) I trust they can coach the kids we get. Look at Michigan State-they didn't get the highest recruiting classes-they turned their 2 and 3 star kids in to a team that beat the big boys. We can do that too.
I wouldn't call Michigan a big boy right now. A victory over a5-7 Michigan team is not bug boy. They like Penn State are still big name but no one going to call them big boy of the conference. Currently that it MSU, OSU, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Rutgers lost to the big boys by an average of 34 points per game.

I keep hearing "close to the media capital", but what does that really mean today?? Alabama is not close to the media capital, neither is Ohio State, Michigan, etc. It means nothing in terms of college sports. ESPN, ABC, etc are national stations--games showcased on those channels will be shown nationwide unless the teams playing are of only regional interest. I don't think it's necessarily a selling point, particularly for kids who grew up in NY, NJ, unless they prefer to be close to home, and let's face it, not all kids feel the need to be close to home. No other school is using a city in another state (and an hour away) as a selling point and are able to attract the talent just fine. RU needs to sell kids on RU instead of the NYC media market because in the digital age I don't think it really exists anymore.
But who else can claim a NYC? No one...though SU tries and believe it or not UConn too though Storrs is closer to Boston. GS used to take groups of recruits/visitors to Manhatten and had some success..many Floridians were wide eyed. Most Jersey kids are used to it.RU's location near the Shore,pinelands,north west lakes and campgrounds between Philly and NYC offers more than most.

Reactions: Underdogs88
love reading threads about a kid possibly committing when he actually can't sign until next year, but hasn't committed, and then it leads to an argument amongst the usual suspects about flood. never change guys, never change…...

No way.... I'd pick the bright lights in the shadow of the Empire State building easily over going to a state with more rows of corn than people "no offense to Husker fans" but WTF is in Nebraska? We have so much advantages over them that outside a bribe WHY GO THERE to showcase yourselves? Practically NO talent or culture there and since Mike Rozier what kind of brand are they? Left the B1G 12 because they had reached a peak a tier under UT and OU and Texas was where they relied on for leftover talent...now they think their gonna just come back and drink out of our well? I don't even want a coach who can't even beat out a state U from the midwest with the population of 1 or 2 NJ large counties. OSU maybe U Mich OK..PSU or even ND but Iowa or Neb? No way...I thought we got past that. I can't believe were back to square 1 after getting into the B1G..we got better talent in the old BE conference...We had PSU sweating...whats up with the lack of pride or loyalty with Jersey kids? 1 decent HC like GS with vision and "Bar the door Katey"

Here is an interesting list mentioned in a BTN article. They don't mention, Lincoln, NE but they do talk about Iowa which was mentioned by Nicky. They consider Iowa to be the best place for college graduates
http://btn.com/2015/05/13/iowa-city-tops-list-of-best-cities-for-college-graduates-in-2015/

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Keep burying your head in the sand KaCuckoo.
Makes me laugh.
Even saying I'm burying my head in the sand is an overstatement.
At a minimum, Flood is an average recruiter. Saying he is horrible is just poor comprehension

Here is an interesting list mentioned in a BTN article. They don't mention, Lincoln, NE but they do talk about Iowa which was mentioned by Nicky. They consider Iowa to be the best place for college graduates
http://btn.com/2015/05/13/iowa-city-tops-list-of-best-cities-for-college-graduates-in-2015/
Honestly outside of recruiting I really like Iowa and their 2 D1 schools and respect them esp the Hawkeyes!! I'm sorry I used them as an example cause I like them after RU in the B1G...nice folks too. My point was we can't let old schools back into our well now that aren't national brands though I'll admit Neb does have that cache. Coach Wilson used to pluck quite a few out of NJ for Iowa but hes now with us. Since GS left SU and BC seem to be recovering and those are just the type of 3 star types that made the difference.

Have to agrree with some who don't think RU's location is a major selling point to top recruits , because it seems like being close to NYC isn't bringing in top talent from out of state and keeping home grown talent at home..
Rutgers needs to start winning the big B1G games they play and begin to make themselves looked at like a major power.
Penn St is considered a traditional power and no matter what I feel about that program, Happy Valley being out in the boondocks hasn't hurt them
recruiting talent.
Lincoln, Nebraska also isn't a hub of entertainment activity, but seems like it's active enough to bring in recruits.
Other schools in college towns grab talent more handily then one close to Philly & NYC, so I can't argue being close to those major cities
will make RU a destination for top HS talent from anywhere.
But will argue once RU starts beating the top programs on its schedule, the talent Rutgers is missing out on now, will be RU bound and
Rutgers location will be a better selling point to recruits then it is now.

Looks like he is going to Nebraska. Per NJ.com he's announcing Monday. Interesting that kids in other states are not as eager to bail on their state. NJ really is not attractive to the hometown kids. Just the way it is.

Were talking NO lakes or hill's or shade? Its not all about temperature!?!
I hate to be that guy, but you do realize that New Jersey is quite a bit flatter than Nebraska Right? And also Nebraska has plenty of lakes. We may not have quite as many as you, but our largest lake is almost 14 times the size as yours. Stop with all you generalizations when in fact you have no idea what your talking about.

I wouldn't call Michigan a big boy right now. A victory over a5-7 Michigan team is not bug boy. They like Penn State are still big name but no one going to call them big boy of the conference. Currently that it MSU, OSU, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Rutgers lost to the big boys by an average of 34 points per game.

Tel me again why you hang out on our boards? Did you get tossed from BWI? You guys lost to UMD. Go and hang your head on your own boards.

I hate to be that guy, but you do realize that New Jersey is quite a bit flatter than Nebraska Right? And also Nebraska has plenty of lakes. We may not have quite as many as you, but our largest lake is almost 14 times the size as yours. Stop with all you generalizations when in fact you have no idea what your talking about.
Are you shitting me? NJ is about the size of a few counties in Nebraska...and your measuring the size of your largest lake? Its like comparing filet mignon with hamburger...sure Nebraska has a few lakes..and Omaha...NJ is called the garden state for a reason..Forests,long shoreline,lakes trees...Don't even go there...you won't win. Generalizations? Thats all we get in NJ by clowns like you. We pump out history and famous people like you do corn and BS.Good luck with your huskers..what else do you have? No pro franchises thats for sure...I'll take Arkansas for natural beauty out that way.Two posts and one is downing Jersey?

Last edited:
Are you shitting me? NJ is about the size of a few counties in Nebraska...and your measuring the size of your largest lake? Its like comparing filet mignon with hamburger...sure Nebraska has a few lakes..and Omaha...NJ is called the garden state for a reason..Forests,long shoreline,lakes trees...Don't even go there...you won't win. Generalizations? Thats all we get in NJ by clowns like you. We pump out history and famous people like you do corn and BS.Good luck with your huskers..what else do you have? No pro franchises thats for sure...I'll take Arkansas for natural beauty out that way.Two posts and one is downing Jersey?
I'm not down Jersey, I was simply defending Nebraska. Your the one who started by saying Nebraska has no lakes, hills, ect. I was simply stating that you had know Idea what you were talking about, and in doing so I just stated a couple facts. I have nothing against New Jersey. My only problem is when people speak about things that they have no real knowledge about. Sorry your jimmies are rustled.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Yes - but imagine the publicity they would get if they were in NYC instead. I mean how much do you hear about the Knicks, even when they absolutely SUCK. Tons. And its not like they are the Lakers with just a ton of history. Same iwth the Mets. Anything the Jets do is a story, even though they are generally bad.

It means nothing in terms of college sports because the area has had one good CFB season in the past who knows - century?

NYC is a selling point. One of many. We just dont have a good salesman.

NYC will not be a selling point until - it is dramatically proven - proven to be inclined to swing the spotlight around and aim it at Rutgers. Right now the NYC media behaves like Rutgers resides in a different time zone - but let some excitement start churning up out of the RU programs and suddenly the NYC media will start acting like New Brunswick is only two subway stops from Times Square. There was a trace of this back when BL & RR were playing.
Get a charismatic genuine star & get one (or even better - two) dramatic signature win over a B1G powerful opponent - & the media will go crazy! ... and then the NYC glamor / biggest media stage in the world factor will be a proven point - and then a genuine selling point.

I'm not down Jersey, I was simply defending Nebraska. Your the one who started by saying Nebraska has no lakes, hills, ect. I was simply stating that you had know Idea what you were talking about, and in doing so I just stated a couple facts. I have nothing against New Jersey. My only problem is when people speak about things that they have no real knowledge about. Sorry your jimmies are rustled.
Hey no one knows and respects pride in state more than me...but not as a guest on another teams board. Truth is i prefer Neb,Iowa,Minn, and most of the B1G west teams to my moms home state of Pennsy. I certainly wouldn't down the Huskers on your or anyone elses board but i only did here in competing for the recruit who we both want. When your his age they have the grass must be greener syndrome cause they never were anywhere really in most cases. I was just like you when i first started visiting the UConn conference realignment board taking everything too seriously in regards to RU..and i only wish them the best. I know how I would have felt if they went to the ACC and we were left holding the bag !! I was pretty nervous.

Yes - but imagine the publicity they would get if they were in NYC instead. I mean how much do you hear about the Knicks, even when they absolutely SUCK. Tons. And its not like they are the Lakers with just a ton of history. Same iwth the Mets. Anything the Jets do is a story, even though they are generally bad.

It means nothing in terms of college sports because the area has had one good CFB season in the past who knows - century?

NYC is a selling point. One of many. We just dont have a good salesman.
Wasn't Fordham a power back in the forties or fifties? Army too but their not in the city proper. Back in the pre seveties no one really cared about southern schools. Wasn't Fla St a womans school just thirty some yrs ago? I believe the southern migration from the sixties on kick started southern dominance and what were seeing today !?! Growing up the B1G was the POWER conference like what people think of the SEC today!

Last edited:
Winning the big games / going to major bowl games/ chance to win conference championship and National title are the best recruiting incentives out there.
Right now, RU falls short in many of those areas and the area RU is located won't change how recruits feel about their chances to be a member of a top program if they commit to RU.
Rutgers has to start convincing recruits it can be a top contender , by beating some of the contenders it faces.
Win big games and they will come, win the little ones while losing the big ones won't entice the top talent to come .

Wasn't Fordham a power back in the fifties? Army too but their not in the city proper. Back in the pre seveties no one really cared about southern schools. Wasn't Fla St a womans school just thirty some yrs ago? I believe the southern migration from the sixties on kick started southern dominance and what were seeing today !?! Growing up the B1G was the POWER conference like what people think of the SEC today!
Florida State has been playing football since 1947. I have no clue what you are talking about about pre seventies. The SEC won 6 national in the 1960s and 4 in the 1950s. In the 1940 they struggled and only won 1. In the 30s they won 3. That just the SEC and not including ACC schools and Texas schools.

Florida State has been playing football since 1947. I have no clue what you are talking about about pre seventies. The SEC won 6 national in the 1960s and 4 in the 1950s. In the 1940 they struggled and only won 1. In the 30s they won 3. That just the SEC and not including ACC schools and Texas schools.
Maybe but i never heard anything about??....Man i delivered and WORKED for the NEWARK NEWS and NSL in the early seventies after coming out of the Marine Corps and leave it to a PSU fan to question me!!! I remember your 1st and only lucky FB natty in seventy against Bama and thick black glasses Jopa...in about "eighty six" he sent us Dick Anderson instead of coming himself to RU and we beat Jopa at your house in eighty eight "only time i remember"...you must be very young not knowing even my gist?? Yes TSFP was a fluke in seventy IMO and in the seventy or sixty nine on New Year's Eve Rose before the Rose bowl I ate breakfast on Hollywood Blvd with the OSU team...In eighty or "eighty one" we sent Bear Bryant back from the meadowlands declaring he'll NEVER come back to NY/NJ when little ole RU had them beaten "but got the RU screw" in the newish Meadowlands!!...How about the Whatsa Rutgers game in Nashville or the Fla game in Gaineville when RU played with real students instead of paid guns??? ?? You saw my anti TSFP post in favor of the B1G West teams and tried to retaliate by questioning my NO ONE CARED about the barren South "and they didnt" of the fifties and early sixties!!!... Don't even try it....Remember the old phrase EAST COAST BIAS? I wonder WHY? I guess you don't remember Bateman or Frank Burns?? Go back to your oasis BWI and bs them. OH yeah.. the Fordham of "4 pillars of granite" fame isn't even mentioned by you? The heart of my comment!?! Yet we have to deal with a co B1G fan swallowing the great SEC crap along with Espins constant endorsement !! And your gonna come here and school us poor Jersey fools??. I wonder what OUR record all time is against the SEC? BTW who mentioned Texas? Not the south?

Educate yourself and don't assume FSU was always good at FB.

What a surprise. A kid with talent picks a team like Nebraska instead of a team in NJ where the message board "fans"(most of which never went to RU) pick the coach and the program apart.

If I was a recruit I would take one look at the neurotic amateur posts here and RUN to Nebraska or any other B10 team that had positive, knowledgeable fans and never look back.

Kid hasn't taken his visits and if the post above is true
he hasn't been to Nebraska. Yet he is gone?
Teenager makes a dumb statement and the board losers
use it as another chance to bash Flood.
His Mom at least has some sense.
She should make him drive to Nebraska this summer.
He better have a week to do it.
Round trip is probably 45 to 50 hours of driving.

What a surprise. A kid with talent picks a team like Nebraska instead of a team in NJ where the message board "fans"(most of which never went to RU) pick the coach and the program apart.

If I was a recruit I would take one look at the neurotic amateur posts here and RUN to Nebraska or any other B10 team that had positive, knowledgeable fans and never look back.
If it wasn't for the fan's who DIDN'T go to RU we'd still be playing in front of eighteen thousand fan's and be lucky to get on TV and be begging to get in the AAC !! I can't understand the rationale of only the NJ psyche where we eat our young?...No wonder they flee in droves. Not so in most states. Its an honor to give back to the state that weaned them IMO.

The NU board is reporting that he has been told by the coaches that he cannot commit until he makes at least one official visit. Who knows, maybe he will get to Nebraska and hate it.

Oh so now Nebraska is the garden of eden? Maybe if a recruit enjoys a salad he should go there? Uninformed? Who do you know saying O boy lets gather the family this year and vacation in lush Nebraska? Don't take a genius to figure out Nebraska's not a cultural center. Omaha is where an old friend of mine is from and the family left for NJ a generation and a half ago.I understand a place called "almost heaven" ..WV ..and the hills and hollows..but first time i heard of Nebraska being a "hidden gem" of a state !?! You must be from Nebraska? Who else would think like that in such and empty of people state? Not even Montana who i could see defending due to its lonely beauty? No not uninformed or mean...just keeping it real the way the average Joe see's it.

Just stop. You're arguing with a guy who is already far more well known around here than you are, far better liked than you and given what you're doing in this thread that's likely never equaling out and who has done more for this community than many of the people that are in it. There is zero reason to troll him like you're doing. Pick on a visiting fan who's starting trouble not a class act.

The NU board is reporting that he has been told by the coaches that he cannot commit until he makes at least one official visit. Who knows, maybe he will get to Nebraska and hate it.
Maybe there is some truth to this but he has said that his mother won't allow him to commit until he takes his visits. I think once he realizes that he will not be playing OLB in college he will have second thoughts as to where he wants to play.

Maybe there is some truth to this but he has said that his mother won't allow him to commit until he takes his visits. I think once he realizes that he will not be playing OLB in college he will have second thoughts as to where he wants to play.

If you look at the profiles of kids NU has offered for DE and LB you will see he fits the LB mold way more than DE for NU's scheme. Just a fyi. Thanks

Edit: It sounds like NU coach is at his school today. Will visit several schools.

Last edited:
Just stop. You're arguing with a guy who is already far more well known around here than you are, far better liked than you and given what you're doing in this thread that's likely never equaling out and who has done more for this community than many of the people that are in it. There is zero reason to troll him like you're doing. Pick on a visiting fan who's starting trouble not a class act.
I'm done..you may be far more we'll known and even better educated. Then you should know better.. I'm just an RU fan whose defended my home state and its university from naysayers all over the country!!! Play your card if you wish but I've followed and loved NJ and RU from probably before you were in high school..Truth? IDGAS...just a Jersey and RU fan who won;t take any sheet from hicks..started in the Corps with this "any place is better than Jersey" crap!! Even so far as to think NJ is NY? C'mon...Nebraska?? Really?..now its even so called "Jersey guys"....no wonder they all leave?? Have your way....liked more than me?..Whats that mean? I should be a good boy and shut my mouth? Rooting for them now too? Community? Good for you...defend it instead of eating it!!! I already had my say...don't need you to KHA. Good day sir....and thank you for acting like the recruits though you should know better....He was fine without you. Its starting to feel like the Cuse board here with guys like you thinking you run the board!!!... Damn why are people still hanging on this thread? I'm done with 1 recruit having grown men arguing!!

Oh so now Nebraska is the garden of eden? Maybe if a recruit enjoys a salad he should go there? Uninformed? Who do you know saying O boy lets gather the family this year and vacation in lush Nebraska? Don't take a genius to figure out Nebraska's not a cultural center. Omaha is where an old friend of mine is from and the family left for NJ a generation and a half ago.I understand a place called "almost heaven" ..WV ..and the hills and hollows..but first time i heard of Nebraska being a "hidden gem" of a state !?! You must be from Nebraska? Who else would think like that in such and empty of people state? Not even Montana who i could see defending due to its lonely beauty? No not uninformed or mean...just keeping it real the way the average Joe see's it.

Pictures of Nebraska.

CC-24therd-7-25-08-2714.jpg
sand-hills.jpeg

Dsc_6175d70lg2.jpg

p502959443-3.jpg
ChadronSP3-6060f4b2.jpg
6.jpg
Chadron_State_Park_View04_MForsberg.jpg
AU13FortRobinsonPD.jpg

7033804_orig.jpg
wchsrapan.jpg
334cbab1f3d595e0f713d46eb7f92b8c.jpg