ADVERTISEMENT

RAC renovation plans are garbage

Whenever facilities are brought up on this board:
images

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I have a friend who works for NJ Transit and he said NJ is one of the best states in the US that makes great use of public transportation. Still, if people are given the option to use their cars or public transportation, they would choose the car 9 times out of 10. People want to come and go on their time, especially when it comes leisure things. That is what RutgersBiker fail to recognize.
Yep, NJ is the only state that implemented HOV lanes and then the removed them in many areas because of lack of use IIRC.

Whenever facilities are brought up on this board:
images
Right, so we should just accept whatever plans this demonstrably incompetent athletic department tries to shove down our throats. Rutgers needs to build a new arena to keep up with its Big Ten competitors. Instead, we're taking the cheap way out and not even really doing anything to improve the fan experience. It's all about stupid luxury boxes. I won't be donating a penny to this ill-advised project.

Right, so we should just accept whatever plans this demonstrably incompetent athletic department tries to shove down our throats. Rutgers needs to build a new arena to keep up with its Big Ten competitors. Instead, we're taking the cheap way out and not even really doing anything to improve the fan experience. It's all about stupid luxury boxes. I won't be donating a penny to this ill-advised project.
Keep trolling!!!

You're a known troll, no one is shoving anything down your throat. Though I'm sure a few would like too...lmao.

Reactions: TRU2RU

I'm sure Rutgers AD can file that with all the other pennies you never donated.

Right because Rutgers has a spare $100-150 million laying around.

Some people's children.
You do not need 150 M lying around. That is what bonds are for. The university paid nothing for the RAC and it is forty years old - how about the administration does a little long term planning for once.

Baylor went smaller too. Sign of the times.

I think 7,500 to 8,000 is the sweet spot.

Put in a bar, bathrooms, good food in vestibule area and it will be awesome.
Baylor if less than half the size of RU and is not the state flagship public university - your comparison actually makes any original point.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Baylor if less than half the size of RU and is not the state flagship public university - your comparison actually makes any original point.
Houston is the same size and renovated down to 7,100 and is 100x the basketball program Rutgers is. The trend is downsizing or maintaining seating.

The suggested RAC renovation plans will actually be the smartest move Hobbs has made since being in charge. Credit where credit is due.

I never blamed the fans. Not sure where you got that idea. You know as well as everyone else that politics play the biggest role in large publicly connected projects seeing the day of light. Anything connected to any level of government is bounded to face BS decisions. The city wants to be heard as well as the county and the state. You probably don't recall the hoops Rutgers had to jump through to have the football stadium rebuilt. Former AD Mulcahy, who at the time was the head of the Meadowland Sports Expo, stepped in to get the project done. Even then Rutgers was hit with so many restrictions, Rutgers could do much with the stadium other than use it 6 to 7 times a year for football only. Unless the arena is 100% funded by private donations, it was a long shot.

To be fair "politics" plays a big (outsized?) role for Rutgers because we need to go to the State for our funding. I am certain it is tough to develop in Chicago, but Northwestern raised $6.1B a portion of which is the funding for their new football stadium. You can mute "politics" and "outside voices" when you self fund. The moment Rutgers had to go to the State for the $75M funding for the RAC renovation is when the "voice of the fan" stopped mattering.

https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...ight-to-move-forward-with-ryan-field-rebuild/

Last edited:
Reactions: RUskoolie
Hope our AD doesn’t sell out the people that made the RAC the Triangle of Terror.
Sure the champagne set won’t be jumping up and down and screaming.

To be fair "politics" plays a big (outsized?) role for Rutgers because we need to go to the State for our funding. I am certain it is tough to develop in Chicago, but Northwestern raised $6.1B part of which is the funding for their new football stadium. You can mute "politics" and "outside voices" a bunch when you self fund. The moment Rutgers had to go to the State for the $75M funding for the RAC renovation is when the "voice of the fan" stopped mattering.

https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...ight-to-move-forward-with-ryan-field-rebuild/
We can’t get our fans to donate enough NIL money to get a top ten center if we needed to raise 5-6, billion the stadium might not be built till the next century

SUPER STALKER (the OP) IS BACK.....MONIKER #195 OR SO....200 IS SO CLOSE HE CAN FEEL IT FROM MOMMY'S BASEMENT!!!

Can you imagine this guy's Spotify playlist? Probably starts it off with some Beck.

:WooHoo::WooHoo::WooHoo:

Last edited:
My question is why must there be 5 completely different renderings every couple years and then the final result ends up looking nothing like it. When other major sporting venues are built & rennovated the artist renderings come out and then they build it
If you think that other stadiums and arenas don't go through multiple sets of renderings (yes, even over a couple of years or longer), prior to a final decision, I've got some oceanfront property in Montana to talk to you about.

The seats in front of the luxury lounge will always be empty just like they're always empty for the Audi club. Putting students on the sidelines will be good if we're well above .500, get close to .500 and they'll be empty. Hobbs will come to regret the moves he's about to make.

What was once a Top 5 to 10 atmosphere will become generic. The life blood of the RAC is the average fan, not the rich guys/gals or finicky students. He can then go around the court imploring empty seats to stand up.

Last edited:
The seats in front of the luxury lounge will always be empty just like they're always empty for the Audi club. Putting students on the sidelines will be good if we're well above .500, get close to .500 and they'll be empty. Hobbs will come to regret the moves he's about to make.

What was once a Top 5 to 10 atmosphere will become generic. The life blood of the RAC is the average fan, not the rich guys/gals or finicky students. He can then go around the court imploring empty seats to stand up.
It won't be all doom and gloom. You guys crack me up at times when it comes to dealing with change.

It won't be all doom and gloom. You guys crack me up at times when it comes to dealing with change.
I think my predictions will come to fruition as I based them on past history. At SHI the area in front of the Audi Lounge is always sparse as most stay inside to talk, eat/drink and mingle, the game is always secondary. This is the same type of crowd Hobbs is trying the lure to the new RAC luxury lounge.

Students, look at this past year. Several games they were no shows as was brought up on this very forum several times. Students are a finicky bunch and putting them on the sidelines (which is Hobb's plan) could lead to empties at center court. Especially around the Holiday's.

As they say "talk is cheap" and you live it as stated above.

BTW: The fan experience at JMA is fine as it sits. So some upgrades would be gravy.

Last edited:
So........They have trillions and did not build the Taj Mahal.

BTW: Baylor also does not have the regional competition for dollars like we have.

I think my predictions will come to fruition as I based them on past history. At SHI the area in front of the Audi Lounge is always sparse as most stay inside to talk, eat/drink and mingle, the game is always secondary. This is the same type of crowd Hobbs is trying the lure to the new RAC luxury lounge.

Students, look at this past year. Several games they were no shows as was brought up on this very forum several times. Students are a finicky bunch and putting them on the sidelines (which is Hobb's plan) could lead to empties at center court. Especially around the Holiday's.
That number of fans has minimal impact on the decibel level at JMA or SHI. Yet they provide a much larger revenue stream.

Students show up when a program wins, it will put a lot of pressure on Pike & future coaches to maintain a high level program. The students always showed up when Geo & RHJ were here because the program had buzz. It’s the right change to make because the place will be even louder with their voices right near the floor.

That number of fans has minimal impact on the decibel level at JMA or SHI. Yet they provide a much larger revenue stream.

Students show up when a program wins, it will put a lot of pressure on Pike & future coaches to maintain a high level program. The students always showed up when Geo & RHJ were here because the program had buzz. It’s the right change to make because the place will be even louder with their voices right near the floor.
The students showed up this year. Maybe a few minutes late because of buses but they were loud and usually at least 80% full.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I have a friend who works for NJ Transit and he said NJ is one of the best states in the US that makes great use of public transportation. Still, if people are given the option to use their cars or public transportation, they would choose the car 9 times out of 10. People want to come and go on their time, especially when it comes leisure things. That is what RutgersBiker fail to recognize.
Absolutely, where would someone from East Brunswick go to take a train downtown New Brunswick?

Not doom and gloom but 118 is a shell of its former self. If you don’t acknowledge that you’re being dishonest.

Absolutely, where would someone from East Brunswick go to take a train downtown New Brunswick?
Or the shore. Or anybody from Somerset or Morris County.
Amtrak controls the rails so the idea that mass transit would work was just not true.

Incorporating Sears arena into Cook/Douglas made more logistical sense.

Reactions: PaKnight
Right because Rutgers has a spare $100-150 million laying around.

Some people's children.
What happened to the $100 million state budget allocation to the RAC renovation and practice facility? This amount was reported 21 months ago.

I have asked around, including the journalist who wrote the article, but nobody knows if the money exists or where it was spent.

What happened to the $100 million state budget allocation to the RAC renovation and practice facility? This amount was reported 21 months ago.

I have asked around, including the journalist who wrote the article, but nobody knows if the money exists or where it was spent.

Contact your local NJ representative for answers.

Yep, NJ is the only state that implemented HOV lanes and then the removed them in many areas because of lack of use IIRC.
Right. In mid 1990s, feds paid 9 figures to build the HOV lanes on I-80 and I-287. In the past, states re-designating fed funded HOV lanes to regular lanes had to refund the feds. Whitman wanted the lanes, Pataki didn't, so Pataki rejected the funding.

The NJ congressional delegation slipped a provision in the fed budget that waived the refund for NJ HOV lanes if they didn't hit targets.

The group sHOVe it was influential in getting the lanes converted from HOV to regular lanes. The SLEB wanted the lanes removed which mattered because in the 1990s people bought and read that paper.

Contact your local NJ representative for answers.
I don't live in NJ. I contacted Testa, who was critical of the Rutgers spending and proposed a bill to spread the spending across other universities, but Testa didn't get back to me.

For one, the practice facility is for Football. To build a new Arena and Practice Facility you're probably talking $200 million if not more. Got an extra $100 million you aren't using?

For one, the practice facility is for Football. To build a new Arena and Practice Facility you're probably talking $200 million if not more. Got an extra $100 million you aren't using?
Greg's contract states a "multi-sport indoor practice facility," not a football indoor practice facility. Anyway, Richie stated a week ago the facility would be for football, with other sports relegated to the bubble.

Thank you for asking. When I get the $100 million, I'll donate some to Rutgers, but will be going to academics not sports.

I don't live in NJ. I contacted Testa, who was critical of the Rutgers spending and proposed a bill to spread the spending across other universities, but Testa didn't get back to me.
What's your connection to Rutgers and NJ?

Greg's contract states a "multi-sport indoor practice facility," not a football indoor practice facility. Anyway, Richie stated a week ago the facility would be for football, with other sports relegated to the bubble.

Thank you for asking. When I get the $100 million, I'll donate some to Rutgers, but will be going to academics not sports.
Which would be a wonderful thing to do.

Multi Sport with football being the controlling #1 tenant. BTW, you still need to raise the $100+ million no matter who uses it.

Understood, but why so hostile to Rutgers sports?
Not hostile. I am a fan. Never a diehard, but after attending Rutgers-Boston College football in 2022, I got back into following the program. I get to games when I can, including the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.

Obviously, I am critical of the amount of money going to coaches and sports administrators, while students' participation in intercollegiate sports has become a lower priority.

But how many people would use public transportation to attend a game?
This here's the rub. It's not so much a question of who would take the train to a sort-of mini-Madison Square Garden; it's how many people would still drive to the arena, and the question of downtown parking is what ultimately kills the idea.

Chris Paladino got into this in his Scarlet Spotlight with Danny and Jon, and it settles the issue pretty definitively. In a parallel universe "downtown ice" for Rutgers basketball and hockey with a sky bridge across 27 from the NBK train station to the arena puts Rutgers Athletics into a whole other category. In this one, we live with the one we have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT