ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - BU

The problem with the “feed Cliff in the post” strategy is that Cliff is not very good in the post except when he has such good position that he gets an easy layup. And that will be rare. But his ability to make a move or pass out of a double are not there. As an opposing coach I would induce RU to feed Cliff then double.

Agree with everything here

Winning by 25 but sone big concerns
I suspect that this will be " November" college basketball for some time to come with liberal transfer rules , the portal etc. and rosters turning over like crazy. It will take time for teams to gel and Rutgers will be no exception. . The net result will be lots of upsets ...Right now Rutgers backcourt is hurting with no point guard to settle things down and direct the offense. Fernandes and Williams have offered very little help. My take : JaMichael and Simpson need to start and get the bulk of the minutes . If Rutgers is going to succeed , they need a better Simpson and the sooner they get him going , the better. I'm not sold on Hyatt despite his getting 17 points last night. He needs to come off the bench rather than start. And his shot selection is questionable. Too often he takes the " wrong shot" at the wrong time when Rutgers needs to work the ball underneath rather than have him take shots from 3 pt range. If his shot isn't going in , what does he contribute? Lastly . Gavin is the real deal. He has a nice sweet shot and can slash to the hoop. For his second college game , he seemed relatively calm and poised.

Agree with a lot on this thread. One thing I’ve come to a conclusion is that Good Hyatt is a spot up shooter on the perimeter and gives great effort rebounding. Bad Hyatt tries to create shots with dribble or tries to drive and turns the ball over.

Fine with Hyatt playing defense on the block to hit the boards for rebounds and finding his spot on the perimeter to hit shots.

GO RU

I suspect that this will be " November" college basketball for some time to come with liberal transfer rules , the portal etc. and rosters turning over like crazy. It will take time for teams to gel and Rutgers will be no exception. . The net result will be lots of upsets ...Right now Rutgers backcourt is hurting with no point guard to settle things down and direct the offense. Fernandes and Williams have offered very little help. My take : JaMichael and Simpson need to start and get the bulk of the minutes . If Rutgers is going to succeed , they need a better Simpson and the sooner they get him going , the better. I'm not sold on Hyatt despite his getting 17 points last night. He needs to come off the bench rather than start. And his shot selection is questionable. Too often he takes the " wrong shot" at the wrong time when Rutgers needs to work the ball underneath rather than have him take shots from 3 pt range. If his shot isn't going in , what does he contribute? Lastly . Gavin is the real deal. He has a nice sweet shot and can slash to the hoop. For his second college game , he seemed relatively calm and poised.
The thing is, we NEED Fernandes to produce. He was our portal answer to the need for a more mobile lead guard who can also shoot, and if he’s a “whiff,” we’re in trouble in the backcourt, as you’re not going to get enough shooting from the other three guards (Simpson, Williams, JMike), who are all slashers.

We finally have a guy who can produce at the 3, and now we need some production at the 1 and 2 spots.

Agree with a lot on this thread. One thing I’ve come to a conclusion is that Good Hyatt is a spot up shooter on the perimeter and gives great effort rebounding. Bad Hyatt tries to create shots with dribble or tries to drive and turns the ball over.

Fine with Hyatt playing defense on the block to hit the boards for rebounds and finding his spot on the perimeter to hit shots.

GO RU
Adding to this, the good Hyatt to me is when he catches and shoots with no hesitation. As soon as he tries to get cute he either misses or turns it over. Just shoot the damn ball.

Reactions: satnom
The game was hard to watch at times but what was really laughable was the score board.In the first half the score boards showed Rutgers with 55 rebounds and other crazy stats,In the second half all the stats were removed except for the score.There were no individual stats as shown in previous seasons.Somebody needs to correct the scoreboard information setup prior to the next game.

As to the game it was really enjoyable watching Griffiths perform.He can score anywhere on the court with his size and shooting touch.Its rather obvious Rutgers has a real problem passing the ball into Cliff.Far too many turnovers because Boston defenders were double teaming Cliff daring Rutgers to shoot from the 3 point line.The small guards were having problems passing the ball to teammates as well as making shots off the dribble.Fouls shooting was abysmal as compared to Princeton game.Pikiell still experimenting with lineups trying to find players that can score and defend.
The stats they were showing were final stats from women’s game the night before - really annoying they cant get stats right

Mag was the best player moving without the ball to help post players out last year. His cutting to the basket got us out of trouble many times. Really looking forward to his return, for this and other reasons.

Cliff is the captain, but is not a #1 or even a #2 go to option on the offensive end. It has nothing to do with his lack of work ethic or determination, it's strictly a basketball skill/evaluation. Cliff is a run to the rim, dunk and potentially effective 1 on 1 offensive player IF, a team decides to not double team him.

Ironically, the opponent that decides to single cover Cliff and not double him, probably has a better chance of stopping RU, because it prevented RU from scoring.....which is why I was so adamant about upgrading the backcourt and abilities of the guards to generate their own offense and create space.

What we saw for extended stretches of last year were teams willing to mix up with sending a double team from the weak side of the defense and making Cliff make a play or pass.....which is hit or miss.

When teams decided to single cover Cliff and stay attached to Hyatt, Spencer last year, it forced Cliff to score one-on-one.....which was also some good, some bad.

Now with these guards like Gavin, able to score mid range AND able to get the the rim and score, he is not just a stationary perimeter shooter like Spencer. Griffiths impacts the defense, because he's a shooting threat AND he can get enough leverage to drive, pull up jumper....if you foul him, he's going to shoot 80+% from the FT line.

Cliff is going to get his points, once we get Simpson and Davis clicking and Hyatt or Gavin able to space the floor and shoot OR, then drive and pull up for 2 pointers. I am not ready in an under 3 or 2 minute situation, to see if a team single covers Cliff, whether he can score on a consistent basis. We have to help Cliff by becoming more dangerous and quick on the perimeter first and that means scoring through Hyatt (I know that's scary for some fans) and Griffiths. Simpson/Davis becoming the 3rd piece of that equation is when RU takes off.
I think the whole philosophy lends itself to more offensive rebounds and easy put backs for Cliff.
He gets points without being targeted !

This sounds terrible but coaching staff needs to somehow tell him at this level he's really just a spot up shooter. No more dribbling. Like ever.
Last year, both Mag and Hyatt were walking turnovers when they put the ball on the deck in the early part of the season. But as the season wore on, you could see that they were coached to not dribble into traffic, and they both cut down on their TOs (especially Mag).

Based on last year, I’m confident Hyatt will be more careful going forward.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
- FT's....16/30???

- re: Simpson/Fernadeeeeez....IMHO....they need to go out for drinks together. It APPEARS as though they're each having trouble - on the floor - accepting each other as, I guess, "complimentary" roles. Simpson - WITHOUT QUESTION - wanted to be "the guy" to lead the team on the floor this year. Bring in Noah and, well, that kinda changes, right? Now Noah has to accept HIS role, as well, but maybe it's just take a few games DESPITE playing together overseas this summer?
...anyway, just a thought.
Simpson wound up being the guy last year...... Dribbling the ball outside the key, looking for a way to break through the guards

Very little or none of that with the addition of the new guards

We will hear the color men say “ they need to get the ball inside to Cliff” or after a dunk, “Rutgers needs to get him the ball more down low”
I like it happening the way you describe, not running the offense through him.
I question how attractive Cliff will be to USA pro basketball teams, at the end of the season

Simpson wound up being the guy last year...... Dribbling the ball outside the key, looking for a way to break through the guards

Very little or none of that with the addition of the new guards
Noah is not quick enough to get in the lane at this level

Noah is not quick enough to get in the lane at this level
So this offensive tactic is not in play based on who starts, and Simpson does not appear to use his quickness from the outside when given the chance

Simpson is quick enough to beat his initial defender consistently. But he has to read the help defenders faster. He needs to kick the ball out to Gavin or Aundre for open looks if their defenders help out on him. Make them pay until they stop, then he can attack the rim.

Personally, I'd like when cliff sets a screen, the ball handler uses it to drive the lane and draw cliffs defender off of him. Pick n roll or even a pass out, just keep the defense scrambling. Typically, cliffs screens set up the ball handler to pass to another perimeter player and then he sets up back in the post. Keeping his defender moving will help get him the ball and not allow the defense to instantly double him everything. And if cliff gets the ball on the move with one defender it's dunk city

Posted this several days after the Princeton game. I’m going to give Coach Pikiell his due on trying different combinations at the guard positions. All things considered Simpson and J Mike should be the main ones. Noah as someone else mentioned is coming off an injury and feeling his way. Williams will be fine once he plays a few more games. Winning by 24 but playing under expectations only tells me we will be ok by main schedule. Cliff , Mag And yes ,even Hyatt, will make us do much better. Chol is a very athletic guy. Hoping for a good season and looking forward to next as well.

Poor guard play (especially atPG) is negating Cliff’s effectiveness.

Was hoping that the summer trip would help
I always have to preface comments like this with the fact that I love Pike and hope he finishes his his career at Rutgers, but next time he has a foreign trip, he needs to make it 24/7 about basketball. No sightseeing, no long hikes, no dancing with the natives, just work on basketball. We have enough data points in year 8 to see that he is a notoriously slow starter, and he needs to clean that up. With the foreign trip, he had 3 months of practice to get ready for the season, and he still doesn’t know what his rotations look like or have clearly defined roles. The contrast with Princeton was stark, where they came in as a well oiled machine ready to go. And no, it’s not that they were more experienced, the 2nd and 3rd best players on Princeton are true sophomores.

Last edited:
- FT's....16/30???

- re: Simpson/Fernadeeeeez....IMHO....they need to go out for drinks together. It APPEARS as though they're each having trouble - on the floor - accepting each other as, I guess, "complimentary" roles. Simpson - WITHOUT QUESTION - wanted to be "the guy" to lead the team on the floor this year. Bring in Noah and, well, that kinda changes, right? Now Noah has to accept HIS role, as well, but maybe it's just take a few games DESPITE playing together overseas this summer?
...anyway, just a thought.
I feel like it’s the opposite lol. They’re both being too much of “team first” guys. Neither of them seem in attack mode. If they’re aggressive (and they eventually will be), it’s gonna open up a lot for everybody. It’s definitely a better problem than the opposite where they both just want to shoot every time. And they’re both talented enough to make plays so I’m not that worried. It’s definitely strange though.

I feel like it’s the opposite lol. They’re both being too much of “team first” guys. Neither of them seem in attack mode. If they’re aggressive (and they eventually will be), it’s gonna open up a lot for everybody. It’s definitely a better problem than the opposite where they both just want to shoot every time. And they’re both talented enough to make plays so I’m not that worried. It’s definitely strange though.
I’ll trust you on this one Geo!

BTW - if you’re in the area swing by 8th St Tavern Hoboken for the football game!

Reactions: BillyC80
The team just feels rudderless. That's what happens when the guards don't step up and take control of the game. Just reckless with the basketball. So many unnecessary TOs.
True, but not unexpected when your 2 fifth year senior guards unexpectedly bolt at the last possible moment. Hopefully, with more time playing together this takes care of itself.

Excellent take!

I always have to preface comments like this with the fact that I love Pike and hope he finishes his his career at Rutgers, but next time he has a foreign trip, he needs to make it 24/7 about basketball. No sightseeing, no long hikes, no dancing with the natives, just work on basketball. We have enough data points in year 8 to see that he is a notoriously slow starter, and he needs to clean that up. With the foreign trip, he had 3 months of practice to get ready for the season, and he still doesn’t know what his rotations look like or have clearly defined roles. The contrast with Princeton was stark, where they came in as a well oiled machine ready to go. And no, it’s not that they were more experienced, the 2nd and 3rd best players on Princeton are true sophomores.
The trip was an amazing experience for the players, and a great bonding opportunity. I could not disagree more about making the trip simply a basketball trip. In that case they could stay in Piscataway.

Awful awful take 🤣

Awful awful take 🤣
Geo, why was Princeton so much more ready to play? We also didn’t play very well against a poor Boston team. In his years here, Pike often gets off to a slow start, and I think it is an issue he needs to clean up.

Offensive flow is very disjointed, saved by hitting shots by GG and Hyatt.

Fernandes doing his best impression of The Invisible Man.

Saw glimpses of the old Simpson tonight, with 5 assists, a nice midrange pull-up jumper, but 0-2 from deep.

Gavin is just smooth. And if Hyatt is also hitting, that’s a nice 1-2 punch.

Pike using guard combinations of Fernandes/Williams and Simpson/JMike. Like two hockey lines. But nobody is producing.

Offensive efficiency is in the toilet. 69 points on 69 possessions, 17 TOs, just 7-25 from deep (28%), and an abominable 16-30 on FTs.

Palmquist looks much more confident this year. Doing more things, being a leader. Just needs to hit threes at a higher clip.

Chol is quite an athlete. But still shoots threes like a baby deer. Very “first year Eugene”-ish.

We need to stop force feeding Cliff in first halves. These teams will swarm him, and it will lead to 13-TO first halves like tonight.

Sitting at the game and just saw this. Your point about the gaurds/hockey lines is well taken. Now I see Davis/Simpson and thinking that may be a key..

Geo, why was Princeton so much more ready to play? We also didn’t play very well against a poor Boston team. In his years here, Pike often gets off to a slow start, and I think it is an issue he needs to clean up.
I have no idea as I’m not in the locker room this year but to say that the foreign trip should be all basketball shows that you haven’t played. My junior year was the closest our team ever was and that was because of the foreign trip. You go from teammates to family. I should’ve been more specific. You could make a case about the slow starts and defined roles for sure. But that has nothing to do with the trip and the kids enjoying a different culture together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT