ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals problem (Ongoing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point who doesn’t have unlimited data so probably not an issue for most (unless you like coming to this board on a laptop or wifi only iPad).

No, they don't and haven't since selling Yahoo and AOL to Apollo Global Management in 2021.
Did Verizon sell off its 10% stake too? I know they sold off 90% a while back. Thought they retained 10%, but not positive.

edit: Just checked and it seems Verizon still owns 10% of yahoo. So I’m sticking with my (joking) conspiracy theory. I mean, what if all of us who have the issue have Verizon as a wireless provider? 😮😀

At this point who doesn’t have unlimited data so probably not an issue for most (unless you like coming to this board on a laptop or wifi only iPad).
You guys are taking what I thought was an obvious joke way too seriously.

More evidence of a Yahoo/Rivals issue, in addition to AOL Mail not working, these other Yahoo sites also don't work: Engagdget.com, AOL.com, techcrunch.com, autoblog.com, builtbygirls.com, makers.com . On the flip side, Yahoo.com works and so do it's derivatives, like finance.yahoo.com, sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/.

This site can’t be reachedwww.engadget.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

This site can’t be reached​

techcrunch.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

www.aol.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

www.autoblog.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

www.builtbygirls.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

www.makers.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I'm sorry there's nothing I can do at the moment, our tech team has searched a million times and can't find the source of this issue as it's only happening to users on this site it seems. In the meantime, I ask that all of you contact support with the same issue to hopefully help escalate this further.

Richie, this isn’t an acceptable answer, ie asking your customers to go to work to solve the problem. I can’t get through to your support team. But this is your business at risk. You need to be the one escalating.

@Richard Schnyderite

Richie, this isn’t an acceptable answer, ie asking your customers to go to work to solve the problem. I can’t get through to your support team. But this is your business at risk. You need to be the one escalating.
@Richard Schnyderite,

I love the job you do here and I'm a fan of this site and you and all the folks who operate it.

But I gotta agree that it'd be one thing if it was just free-board freeloaders like me having the issue. But you DO have some folks who pay membership fees having the problem as well.

As a paying customer of rivals/yahoo, you're gonna have way more success at getting help from yahoo with this issue than any of us users.

As I posted earlier in the thread, this problem appears to be occurring at a yahoo server down near DC. That suggests the problem is with Yahoo's network, not with the small corner of Rivals network occupied by TKR. I am unable to browse to anywhere on rivals.com while connected to my landline ISP.

Reactions: Leonard23
More evidence of a Yahoo/Rivals issue, in addition to AOL Mail not working, these other Yahoo sites also don't work: Engagdget.com, AOL.com, techcrunch.com, autoblog.com, builtbygirls.com, makers.com . On the flip side, Yahoo.com works and so do it's derivatives, like finance.yahoo.com, sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/.

This site can’t be reachedwww.engadget.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

techcrunch.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

www.aol.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

www.autoblog.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

www.builtbygirls.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

www.makers.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
I hopped off the VPN for a minute and can confirm this. Looks like the same problem.

I mean, if this is only a growing list of TKR regulars experiencing this issue, then that seems really, really odd thing considering how the issue affects all those yahoo sites.

@Richard Schnyderite
I am escalating it as well, I’ve been emailing back and forth with tech along with calling the higher ups everyday now for a few weeks. I’m asking for your guys help to push it even further that is all.

@Richard Schnyderite,

I love the job you do here and I'm a fan of this site and you and all the folks who operate it.

But I gotta agree that it'd be one thing if it was just free-board freeloaders like me having the issue. But you DO have some folks who pay membership fees having the problem as well.

As a paying customer of rivals/yahoo, you're gonna have way more success at getting help from yahoo with this issue than any of us users.

As I posted earlier in the thread, this problem appears to be occurring at a yahoo server down near DC. That suggests the problem is with Yahoo's network, not with the small corner of Rivals network occupied by TKR. I am unable to browse to anywhere on rivals.com while connected to my landline ISP.
Again as I stated above, I’m trying every single day to get this fixed for you guys. However I do feel if they got more complaints from a different avenue then it could help escalate this one even further, that’s all I’m asking.

Again as I stated above, I’m trying every single day to get this fixed for you guys. However I do feel if they got more complaints from a different avenue then it could help escalate this one even further, that’s all I’m asking.
Thanks Richie. No doubt you’re doing your best to keep this issue in front of the powers that be. Suggestion: Stress the bottom line. If current premium members and potential premium members can’t access the world of Rivals websites on their home wifi networks there will be customers that either cancel their membership or not become members which is lost actual and unrealized revenue ($$).

GO RU

I'm sorry there's nothing I can do at the moment, our tech team has searched a million times and can't find the source of this issue as it's only happening to users on this site it seems. In the meantime, I ask that all of you contact support with the same issue to hopefully help escalate this further.

Rutgers Screw strikes again!

Problem still going. Millions of websites work on Verizon wifi except Rivals.com

GO RU
It's not a Verizon or Android issue for me. My devices do not work at home in Morris County with Optimum wifi. Rivals works with wifi turned off on my Android phone at home. They all work elsewhere in the limited places I have tried.

1.) Have people tested a laptop Ethernet connection on the Wi-Fi router? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say whether ethernet works but Wi-Fi does not or that it’s even been tried. They are different network adapters and networks, so this is a relevant distinction.

2.) Location Settings - Some Wi-Fi connections and apps simply don’t work if you disable location tracking, Geo tracking or have an ad-blocker. Things are getting aggressive in the tech world between ad tech, publishers and consumer and data privacy.

For the purposes of troubleshooting, I would “allow” tracking and see if the site becomes accessible. Again, various locations and cell networks have different filtering capabilities, so I wouldn’t be surprised to learn the experience is different from one location to another. These networks are messy and configuration issues abound.

3.) Has anyone systematically gone through troubleshooting this from the device end all the way through the network side with a goal of eliminating everything the ISP provides but connectivity?

Again, ISP tech is messy and the “convergence” even messier.

This includes:
Wi-Fi hardware access point/router
Firewall service
Content filtering software/service
Antivirus/Security software/service
DNS Service
Router/Switch

This one is a PITA but also worth doing and easier if you have another device or a laptop.

ISP tech support can help remotely or you can have a tech come out from the ISP or GeekSquad as a service call or if you get a new router and pay for in-home setup.

Then when the tech is there have them test the site specifically.

Not guaranteed to work, but maybe it’s a belated holiday gift of faster Wi-Fi or if over the years your setup may have gotten a little hairy with tweaks and customizations.

Do you know if the same thing is happening on the other teams rival sites or just Rutgers. I can’t access any other school rivals sites either.

1.) Have people tested a laptop Ethernet connection on the Wi-Fi router? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say whether ethernet works but Wi-Fi does not or that it’s even been tried. They are different network adapters and networks, so this is a relevant distinction.

2.) Location Settings - Some Wi-Fi connections and apps simply don’t work if you disable location tracking, Geo tracking or have an ad-blocker. Things are getting aggressive in the tech world between ad tech, publishers and consumer and data privacy.

For the purposes of troubleshooting, I would “allow” tracking and see if the site becomes accessible. Again, various locations and cell networks have different filtering capabilities, so I wouldn’t be surprised to learn the experience is different from one location to another. These networks are messy and configuration issues abound.

3.) Has anyone systematically gone through troubleshooting this from the device end all the way through the network side with a goal of eliminating everything the ISP provides but connectivity?

This includes:
Firewall service
DNS Service
Router/Switch

This one is a PITA but also worth doing and easier if you have another device or a laptop.

ISP tech support can help remotely or you can have a tech come out from the ISP or GeekSquad as a service call or if you get a new router and pay for in-home setup.

Not guaranteed to work, but maybe it’s a belated holiday gift of faster Wi-Fi or if over the years your setup may have gotten a little hairy with tweaks and customizations.
1. People already tried Ethernet and it doesn't work.

2. Location has been allowed, not blocked, so this isn't the issue.

3. Mostly yes. Turned off all of that stuff in the router GUI, web browser, device OS, etc., and worked with ISP.

The better question is has anyone at the Yahoo data center in Northern Virginia (AOL: 7777 Infantry Ridge) looked at this in depth (or any of their other 3 data centers in Lockport, Quincy and La Vista; I used NoVA because mildone thought something was up near DC)?

Reactions: redking and mildone
On Sunday I could not get on for most of the day.
I rebooted router and PC and got back on

On Sunday I could not get on for most of the day.
I rebooted router and PC and got back on
Here is the thing for any tech team to recognize as well as their client services- nothing on your client side has changed. This is happening to clients across the world on different providers and situations. And if Wi-Fi is disabled, it pretty much works for everyone.
Get to work on it and don’t not put it as a “I don’t know” or ask your clients to f-ing figure it out.

This includes:
Firewall service
DNS Service
Router/Switch

I've connected directly to my router via cable and still the same issue.

All evidence points to a common intetnet network node common to people in this region who were on this site. Mildone I believe has even identified the yahoo server that's not accepting http requests.

Here is the thing for any tech team to recognize as well as their client services- nothing on your client side has changed. This is happening to clients across the world on different providers and situations. And if Wi-Fi is disabled, it pretty much works for everyone.
Get to work on it and don’t not put it as a “I don’t know” or ask your clients to f-ing figure it out.

I hate to break it to you but not all of the content comes from Yahoo.

If their partner serving ads had a malware infestation which took them an hour to detect, identify and clean up while you and 25 other people got infected, guess who’s problem that is.

Yours.

Guess where that shit would be wreaking havoc.

Your shit.

And guess who would know about it? Virtually no one at Yahoo or Rivals. In fact, it’s almost guaranteed it wouldn’t have been a reportable incident or violation of SLAs.

That’s just one scenario.

I could come up with about six others that could be routing or hosting or filtering or device issues that are between your house and the hosting and server infrastructure that neither Yahoo nor anyone’s ISP owns nor controls.

The $1,000 of annual subscription revenue that Richie gets from these customers is about as effective leverage in the face of Yahoo’s $8 billion annual revenue as your big swinging dick is in the face of your average security engineer or data center team.

That is : not very.

However, if you pointed that bad boy at Yahoo directly like Richie asked and everyone else did the same, that might help a little as no one in tech support at Yahoo can do much with what Richie says or what Mildone identified. They are not experiencing the problem on their equipment on the services they pay for.

BUT YOU ARE

All the people having this issue need to submit the tickets and tell Richie. That way he can at least point the Yahoo people to the fact that they have the numerous tickets with the information necessary to investigate further. There’s very little chance this gets escalated without going through this step.

1. People already tried Ethernet and it doesn't work.

2. Location has been allowed, not blocked, so this isn't the issue.

3. Mostly yes. Turned off all of that stuff in the router GUI, web browser, device OS, etc., and worked with ISP.

The better question is has anyone at the Yahoo data center in Northern Virginia (AOL: 7777 Infantry Ridge) looked at this in depth (or any of their other 3 data centers in Lockport, Quincy and La Vista; I used NoVA because mildone thought something was up near DC)?

Thanks for answering. Have you tried using a different DNS (like Google’s 8.8.8.8)

I’m not convinced it’s an issue on Yahoos end; it seems like there are enough people not having the issue.

So it’s still possible there’s something about the affected devices or routing that might be the culprit. I think this is why at least one person who rebooted his router found this resolved the issue.

You might also try that. Ideally you would do it at the FIOS or Cable box and not just the router. You want to turn it off for a little while - like a minute or two so it has to fully re-register on the network and likely pick up a new IP address in the process.

Reactions: rutgersguy1

All evidence points to a common intetnet network node common to people in this region who were on this site. Mildone I believe has even identified the yahoo server that's not accepting http requests.

It does seem like a failure in routing through bad equipment/filtering somewhere. You might need to force it to take a new route since there are people not having any issues,

I’d reset the cable at the ONT so it fully re-registers on the network and picks up a new IP.

That’s where I’d start looking if I were yahoo. It too rejected connections. Can;t be sure that server is the where the issue is, though.

Thanks for answering. Have you tried using a different DNS (like Google’s 8.8.8.8)

I’m not convinced it’s an issue on Yahoos end; it seems like there are enough people not having the issue.

So it’s still possible there’s something about the affected devices or routing that might be the culprit. I think this is why at least one person who rebooted his router found this resolved the issue.

You might also try that. Ideally you would do it at the FIOS or Cable box and not just the router. You want to turn it off for a little while - like a minute or two so it has to fully re-register on the network and likely pick up a new IP address in the process.
I tried a few different DNS providers a week ago. Same problem. So is probably not related to DNS, although again, I cannot be sure since there could be some weird edge case kind of thing.

What I wish would happen, but it's not in my control, is for tech to remote into someone's machine who is having the issue as that would be the best way for them to experience it directly. At my last company during the 10.5 years I was there, we did than numerous times with many clients to help them troubleshoot issues.

What I wish would happen, but it's not in my control, is for tech to remote into someone's machine who is having the issue as that would be the best way for them to experience it directly. At my last company during the 10.5 years I was there, we did than numerous times with many clients to help them troubleshoot issues.
That would be ideal. Someone could just do a web meeting (teams or whatever) with tech and at least demo the issue. I’d do it if I could, but I cannot.

Running the basic Windows Network Diagnostics tool on a PC provided the following Troubleshooting Report:

Issues found

resources (rutgers.forums.rivals.com) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.

The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 443, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your computer.

Not an expert, but this is a really good clue. Yahoo has to investigate whether port 443 is open on the remote server accepting requests.

Have spectrum wifi, and haven’t had any issues accessing the system.

Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to do that and it was the one thing I hadn't tried yet. I've rebooted the router and left it unplugged for about 15 mins or so but that didn't work but I wanted to shut it off overnight to get FIOS to release the IP and give a new one. I never know how long that takes but I think it's a couple hours. I've been forgetting (getting old lol) but since I was up last night watching the game and saw this thread I remembered and unplugged the router. Plugged it back in this morning and the site works for me on iphone, ipad, laptop and on Chrome, Safari etc...

So for others out there who may have been experiencing similar problems maybe keep it off overnight to get reassigned a new IP and see if it works. I don't know exactly how long it takes for new IP to be assigned so I usually just do the overnight thing. I think you can release and renew and IP through the router control panel but I've read that doesn't always work as well with similar type issues of needing a different IP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to do that and it was the one thing I hadn't tried yet. I've rebooted the router and left it unplugged for about 15 mins or so but that didn't work but I wanted to shut it off overnight to get FIOS to release the IP and give a new one. I never know how long that takes but I think it's a couple hours. I've been forgetting (getting old lol) but since I was up last night watching the game and saw this thread I remembered and unplugged the router. Plugged it back in this morning and the site works for me on iphone, ipad, laptop and on Chrome, Safari etc...

So for others out there who may have been experiencing similar problems maybe keep it off overnight to get reassigned a new IP and see if it works. I don't know exactly how long it takes for new IP to be assigned so I usually just do the overnight thing. I think you can release and renew and IP through the router control panel but I've read that doesn't always work as well with similar type issues of needing a different IP.
If getting a new IP address solves the issue the the problem is that some firewall is blocking a range or certain IP adresses.

If getting a new IP address solves the issue the the problem is that some firewall is blocking a range or certain IP adresses.
Maybe. Depends on how, or if, an ISP selecting a different IP address to assign to a user affects traffic routing for that user.

Would changing IP mean skipping a particular server on the way to rivals? If so, could be filtering of rivals or something else that the affected group all have in common.

If not, then yeah, strongly suggests some kind of firewall or filter blocking IPs for some reason. That would be odd, in this particular case, given the apparently random cross-section of IP addresses being blocked.

The issue occurs with multiple ISPs and multiple yahoo hosted sites. Very odd.

I know it’s not you but they need to resolve this somehow someway it’s getting to be an issue going on since pinstripes bowl
Try that suggestion I mentioned. Turn off your router overnight and plug it back in the morning and see if it works when it reassigns a new IP.

Btw just to mention my setup, I have an Orbi mesh system and one of the units acts as the main router with the ethernet cable plugged into it. There is no FIOS router in between (don’t have FIOS tv package so don’t need one). I don’t have an ONT anymore either. They removed it a few years ago when I had a service issue and the guy said they don’t use them anymore. The cable just runs from outside into the house and to my Orbi router.

It is only happening to users on this site. No users on other rivals sites have reported this issue.
Thanks for the confirmation Rich.

Could someone have/is done/doing something malicious or intentional to the website?

FYI: I have no access to any of the Rivals websites through home Wi-Fi.

GO RU

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT