ADVERTISEMENT

RU Football- The defense

seels2662

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2005
So I figured I would pick one subject from my list as two people responded to it:

1) Curious where you think we’re lacking on defense in comparison to previous rosters? I feel like we are absolutely loaded. As you alluded to with Strong, safety depth is a concern but I assume/hope we will move one of our CB’s over if needed (Loyal seems like a good candidate).

Looking forward to seeing how the linebackers stack up. Will Moses Walker be able to make an impact after recovering from a major injury?

So to answer your question @RU23 I do think that the defense is going to be good but if you go back and look on paper in August the last two seasons those defenses were really really good. From last year we lose Maijeh, Braswell and Izien who possibly will play in the NFL and Young who was solid if unspectacular. Plus on paper we were really hoping for Singleton last year. In both years we got riddled by injuries ( or got declared ineligible in Singleton's case) and we were not deep enough to last a season which that plus always being on the field really took a toll on the defense. This year I think we are a little worse in the secondary and a little worse in the interior line and both places are worrisome depth wise. Lets hope the luck doesn't continue and the injuries plague us again. The good news is I believe that our depth issues are gone at LB this year and the Toure-Lewis combo at the ends may make this the best pass rush we have ever seen in the history of Rutgers football. Also out of all the transfers I think Dixon is the most important one as it makes the dropoff from Izien not that big.

Now I ask not to make this a <insert name here> sucks thread or a mud slinging thread, just a healthy debate one way or another about football.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News