Young 9 carries 23 yards

Receiving

Melton 4 catches, 50 yards
Cruickshank 4 catches 43 yards
Jones 3 catches, 32 yards 1 TD
Pacheco 5 catches, 37 yards
Young 2 catches, 2 yards
Haskins 1 for 6 yards

There's 7 turnovers that MSU had and then there's the 300+ yards that Rocky Lombardi threw against RU, trailing the whole game.

The wholesale difference was, MSU was not prepared for Julius Turner and his pressure got into the backfield before the running backs could get started. With Walker now leading their rushing attack, we will need to score 1st and get a lead, if we can, to stay ahead of their offense.

I keep mentioning Vedral stats and those saying he is a game manager......he is actually only a game manager, when RU is LEADING in a game.....Michigan State, Illinois, Michigan last year, and games 1 to 3 this year,, were far different than when Vedral has to throw or make plays when trailing in a game.

Outside of the drives in the 2nd half at Michigan and vs Michigan last year, Vedral has not been close to a manager at all, when he is trailing in a game.

To emphasize this, RU has to get the ball and Gleeson and Schiano have to go to last year's tape vs MSU and feel somewhat confident that we can make plays.

BUT

We have gone into a shell offensively, outside of series when Art played last year, since the Michigan game last year, and there has been no downfield passing of note. How can RU win this game, if we fall behind by 10+ points, if we don't run what worked last year, at MSU by taking shots downfield....??

I don't care if both Meltons are out on each side of the ball....we have Youngblood, Washington, Sanders and we now have Mornegai and Wright Collins in the backfield to support Vedral.....on defense, we have a 4* CB, in Clark, put him in man coverage and let him play football.

On defense, swarm and get up field to clog the lanes, so Walker doesn have cutback opportunities. Make Thorne pass and make throws, on the road. I don't see any reason why RU shouldn't be competitive vs Sparty in our own building.

I know it's a rebuild and everything, but RU needs to bounce back with a credible effort this week. I am not saying they have to win, but it has to be a game at halftime and within 1 score at worse at half. RU can get into the mid to 28 point range against this MSU defense.....IF, Schiano let's Gleeson call the plays and adds more players to the formation, who can make plays (Washington, Wright Collins and Youngblood specifically).

Last years stat line is where we should land this year vs Sparty in the air......if we actually run Mornegai, Wright Collins more and get Aaron Young matched up against their LBs, in short passes, we should have success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News