ADVERTISEMENT

RU Trying to Schedule Game at Yankee Stadium

This is beyond illogical & typical self loathing Rutgers fan speak.
Leonard all of Us know how dire our facilities are and how badly we need them to compete in this conference. A fund was set up so Rutgers fans and alumni can donate directly to this cause. This is a fact right? We need to compete with the BIG schools in recruiting so they stop taking our best recruits year in and year out. We all know this yet so little of us have donated. I believe Hobbs is forced to take this type of action because he is having a hard time getting the money he needs from us. I think it is that simple we need $$$ and WE are not giving it to him.

Leonard all of Us know how dire our facilities are and how badly we need them to compete in this conference. A fund was set up so Rutgers fans and alumni can donate directly to this cause. This is a fact right? We need to compete with the BIG schools in recruiting so they stop taking our best recruits year in and year out. We all know this yet so little of us have donated. I believe Hobbs is forced to take this type of action because he is having a hard time getting the money he needs from us. I think it is that simple we need $$$ and WE are not giving it to him.
Just stop with this.
Hobbs & staff have already raised over half of the target for that fund. It's going extremely well.
Even Army has realized that they were alienating their own fans and LOSING MONEY by moving home games to YS, and has stopped. You believe this is Hobbs plan to make money? ridiculous.

I dont care what anybody says but if its part of the season package I will gladly sell my tix to the highest bidder..wont go watch a game there

Just stop with this.
Hobbs & staff have already raised over half of the target for that fund. It's going extremely well.
Even Army has realized that they were alienating their own fans and LOSING MONEY by moving home games to YS, and has stopped. You believe this is Hobbs plan to make money? ridiculous.
No Hobbs raised 25 million or so from about 1300 people. 25 million came from a politician. 1300 out of thousands and thousands gave a crap enough to give. The rest did not and give lame excuses as to why they did not donate

I dont care what anybody says but if its part of the season package I will gladly sell my tix to the highest bidder..wont go watch a game there
Need I say more!!! Willing to sell out RU because he does not want to pay 16 for the GWB. I bet you don't want beer sold in the stadium or think the hot dogs are to expensive and why am I paying so much for parking. I bet you prefer the old days when season tickets were 100 bucks. We need money folks and we as a whole are not doing it so Hobbs must take other measures.

Last edited:
If Yankee stadium and HPSS both hold approx. 52,000 people, how does playing a game at Yankee stadium increase our revenue?

The 2 Pinstripe Bowls Rutgers played in average about 42,500 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinstripe_Bowl)

If Rutgers is having a good year and is playing a good team, HPSS will sell out and so, presumably would Yankee stadium. If Rutgers is having a bad or mediocre year, than neither stadium will sell out regardless of who Rutgers is playing.

So, what am I missing with regards to this idea being called a good opportunity to increase revenue?

No Hobbs raised 25 million or so from about 1300 people. 25 million came from a politician. 1300 out of thousands and thousands gave a crap enough to give. The rest did not and give lame excuses as to why they did not donate
Yes that is properly characterized as "going extremely well". It is an all-time record for a RU athletic fundraising effort. And it's just starting. Hobbs is not looking to a message board to raise the money. He will get what is needed and more, when it's done. So please relax Chicken Little.

"Standing behind home plate at the home of the 27-time World Series champions before throwing out a first pitch Tuesday night, Rutgers athletics director Pat Hobbs said he is open to the possibility of moving a football home game to the Bronx.

“We want to look at maybe bringing a game here........ "

Good lord...what is he supposed to say? "Standing behind home plate, Pay Hobbs said he'd rather Yankee stadium burn down to a pile of ashes than ever consider playing a game for a lot of money here..."

Relax.
Brilliant .
Ummmmmm. Maybe Hobbs should not even mention about RU playing football at Yankee Stadium and just say before he throws out the First Pitch " I am honored to be throwing out the first pitch in this the greatest BASEBALL stadium."

NYC is the capital of the world with a crap load of BIG alumni living in the 5 boroughs. Every seat will be filled and BIG fans of other teams would easily make you grandpa's a nice profit when you sell your seats to them. I think it's a money grab and with this cheap fan base you Can't blame our AD.
\
SAME EXACT STATEMENT MADE FOR THE RU/ND BOWL GAME. Yes it was a handsome ND showing. BUT NOT A SELL OUT ~35-40% ND fans.
Yankee stadium is not a draw for a football game. Met life more so then the Bronx.

again,we are the newcommer and sit on the bottom of pecking order for B10 and alot of the power five conference. If Hobbs thinks we can raise money,get a payday out of playing at Yankee stadium instead of 'buying' a game against Norfolk or New Mexico at home,then Rutgers is in no postion to turn down the offer.Also if the B10 thinks its a good idea for the conference and RU,then it would be a bad idea to go against Mr Delaney desire and plans..

please
again,we are the newcommer and sit on the bottom of pecking order for B10 and alot of the power five conference. If Hobbs thinks we can raise money,get a payday out of playing at Yankee stadium instead of 'buying' a game against Norfolk or New Mexico at home,then Rutgers is in no postion to turn down the offer.Also if the B10 thinks its a good idea for the conference and RU,then it would be a bad idea to go against Mr Delaney desire and plans..

A lot of supposition here.
None of which is correct.

Need I say more!!! Willing to sell out RU because he does not want to pay 16 for the GWB. I bet you don't want beer sold in the stadium or think the hot dogs are to expensive and why am I paying so much for parking. I bet you prefer the old days when season tickets were 100 bucks. We need money folks and we as a whole are not doing it so Hobbs must take other measures.

It has 0 to do with an extra $16 in tolls and 100% to do with not paying good money to sit somewhere I can't watch the game and can't tailgate. If I have to just watch the scoreboard the whole game, I can get that view from home.

Reactions: mildone

Wrong.
The vast majority of RU fans do not want to play a home game at Yankee Stadium. The Steinbrenner family simply trying to squeeze more $$$$ out of CFB fans. This venue sucks in all aspects to College Football : shi##y views of the field, outrageou$ pricing for food/parking, poor tailgating, questionable neighborhood , etc.
If Hobbs trades a 54,000 seat home game for a 45,000 game at Yankee Stadium look for numerous season Ticketholder dumping that season . A neutral game that does not count against our 7 Game Home schedule will be a difficult sell IMO.

There are a lot of bad sides to this:
  • It will probably be a November game
  • It will probably be a game against State Penn
  • It will allow Rutgers fans to sell their tickets to the Nitwits
Maybe it isn't such a bad idea, after all?

Seriously, it can't be an October game, since you don't know what the play off schedule is in advance. SO that leaves September (non-conference) or November (games against B10 East schools, usually MSU, Maryland or State Penn). I can see the Yankees saying no to September games.

Or we play a regional game in November instead of a conference game.

It's not a football stadium and football just shouldn't be played there. Met LIfe woudl be a different story.

Wrong.
The vast majority of RU fans do not want to play a home game at Yankee Stadium. The Steinbrenner family simply trying to squeeze more $$$$ out of CFB fans. This venue sucks in all aspects to College Football : shi##y views of the field, outrageou$ pricing for food/parking, poor tailgating, questionable neighborhood , etc.
If Hobbs trades a 54,000 seat home game for a 45,000 game at Yankee Stadium look for numerous season Ticketholder dumping that season . A neutral game that does not count against our 7 Game Home schedule will be a difficult sell IMO.
How do you know what the vast majority of Rutgers fans want or not want? I will tell you that the vast majority of Rutgers fans are cheap who complain about everything and anything. I have proof I'm not just jaw gabbing like you. The proof is this only about 1300 people donated to the most important fund raiser in RU sports history.

Reactions: BlockR
How do you know what the vast majority of Rutgers fans want or not want? I will tell you that the vast majority of Rutgers fans are cheap who complain about everything and anything. I have proof I'm not just jaw gabbing like you. The proof is this only about 1300 people donated to the most important fund raiser in RU sports history.

How do I know ?
If the vast majority of Rutgers most loyal football fans on this Board are against this concept , then you know it will not be embraced by the fans. Especially if it is "forced upon" fans through season Ticket renewals.
It is not about fans being cheap !!!! It's about Fans wanting to see their team playing in a real football stadium and not getting taken advantage of by some scheme by the Yankees to make $$$$ on their backs.

How do I know ?
If the vast majority of Rutgers most loyal football fans on this Board are against this concept , then you know it will not be embraced by the fans. Especially if it is "forced upon" fans through season Ticket renewals.
It is not about fans being cheap !!!! It's about Fans wanting to see their team playing in a real football stadium and not getting taken advantage of by some scheme by the Yankees to make $$$$ on their backs.
You mean a scheme by Rutgers to make money and as I argued can you blame them? I agree with you that the most fanatical of RU football fans are on this board what a sad reality isn't it? The vast majority of the lunatic fans did not give a crap enough to donate anything a buck 5 bucks zilch is what came from the vast majority of the most rabid fan base how pathetic.

I emailed Hobbs and told him that I am totally against this.
Likely not renew if forced as part of a season ticket renewal .
did you send in a donation then ,since you are against a cash limited program trying to raise needed funds?

Reactions: chrisru99
You mean a scheme by Rutgers to make money and as I argued can you blame them? I agree with you that the most fanatical of RU football fans are on this board what a sad reality isn't it? The vast majority of the lunatic fans did not give a crap enough to donate anything a buck 5 bucks zilch is what came from the vast majority of the most rabid fan base how pathetic.

Making money in the short term is not necessarily the same as making it in the long term. A one off I think we could all live with. If they're going to take a home game year and move it there, or a conference game I think that is a huge mistake. If they do it every year and make it part of the season ticket package I would feel like they are basically stealing a game a year from me. I can't see the game from the stands and I can't tailgate.

This lunatic fan donated a good deal of money and I still wouldn't be on board with this. In fact, if it were every year, and good games, I'd likely just drop my tickets. Hobbs can make that sort of decision, but he'd better do it with eyes wide open.

NO, NO, and NO. Terrible place to watch a game, essentially no tailgating, and the season tikcet holders get screwed big time.

Sorry, no matter how much the Yankees were lubing us up with the Rutgers day, and first pitches, Hobbs needs to turn this down.

Please explain how Rutgers would make money by playing in a smaller venue.
This idea would be a money loser for Rutgers.

Even Notre Dame fans did not sell out this crappy stadium.

No question its for the Penn State game.

Dump your tickets to overpaying Penn State fans. With a sea of blue in the stands, it will send a nice message to Hobbs and Delany: We're capitalists and have no problem ripping your eyes out.

id love it. I went to the pin stripe this year. Had a blast, definitely a cool change of pace from the norm. No qualms with this one! Also extends us into the NY market further.

Im waiting for someone to explain how rutgers would make more money by moving a home game to a smaller stadium where they would not receive any of the revenue from concessions or parking.

Hopefully this is just Hobbs and Ash being polite to NYY. Would be so pissed if we gave up a home game to play in an effing baseball stadium, which as we all know, is simply an awful place to watch football.

They would have to pay us about 2-3 million dollars for us to make more than a home game and let us keep a good chunk of the ticket revenue...good luck with that

Last edited:
The Yankees pay us to play a game there.

OK. But the Yankees need to make the money first, in order to pay us. And I assume the Yankees want to keep some money as profit.

When Rutgers had lower ticket prices and flat parking rates, we were able to earn more moving a game to the larger MetLife stadium.

But now we've instituted dynamic pricing for seats and tiered pricing for parking. Revenues for a home game are much higher than before. Why would you assume that the Yankees would be able to sell a ticket for more than the dynamic price that Rutgers can (especially when a larger portion of seats in Yankee Stadium have inferior sightlines to seats at Rutgers Stadium).

So where does the extra money for a game at Yankee Stadium come from. And after the Yankees take their share, how much is left for Rutgers? And is it enough to risk ticking off your donors?

OK. But the Yankees need to make the money first, in order to pay us. And I assume the Yankees want to keep some money as profit.

When Rutgers had lower ticket prices and flat parking rates, we were able to earn more moving a game to the larger MetLife stadium.

But now we've instituted dynamic pricing for seats and tiered pricing for parking. Revenues for a home game are much higher than before. Why would you assume that the Yankees would be able to sell a ticket for more than the dynamic price that Rutgers can (especially when a larger portion of seats in Yankee Stadium have inferior sightlines to seats at Rutgers Stadium).

So where does the extra money for a game at Yankee Stadium come from. And after the Yankees take their share, how much is left for Rutgers? And is it enough to risk ticking off your donors?
As usual,

Just read what @Upstream says and...

thumbs-up-kid-grown-up-older-computer-1381535947J.gif

Put me in the Pinstripe or home game for Army camp--otherwise I would rather not do this,unless there is some HUGE check coming from the Yankees to do this without raising the normal price of a game ticket. I can live with one home game every three years or so at The Meadowlands--again if they send us a huge check without raising the prices and giving people worse seats than they have at Rutgers Stadium.

Reactions: MoobyCow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT