ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Ohio St Game Thread

Did anyone really think we had at shot winning this game? Lets be realistic it is time to look at the options here for Hobbs, over paid and underachieving seems to be how things are done at RU now IE.. EJ and CVS New blood in the AD's office time to cut the line and try again maybe.

Vicki Harris is a better rebounder than Rachel. I look forward to watching her next year.

Copper giving a tremendous effort, right up to the end.

Too bad we made so many turnovers, we could have had a chance. Good effort against a top ten team with an all-world shooter.

Oh well ... Time to root for the Wrestling team ... Hope they don't disappoint ...

Did anyone really think we had at shot winning this game? Lets be realistic it is time to look at the options here for Hobbs, over paid and underachieving seems to be how things are done at RU now IE.. EJ and CVS New blood in the AD's office time to cut the line and try again maybe.
Stringer is not going anywhere, even though I think she should. We have more problems with the men's program. That's what Hobbs will target.

How ironic that Stringer's MO is defense and tonight her players gave up 43 to Mitchell, which is now a B1G tourney record. Hmmm.

Someone last night seemed confused about why the mods and others on the board objected to the term "ponytail" . I presume you would argue that ponytail just means a 3 point sharpshooter. It was all anyone talked about last night. Yet tonight, when Kelsey Mitchell is raining threes on us, it has not been said once. People have said we need a shooter like her. People have mentioned three point shooting. But not once has the word ponytail been used. Why do you think that is? THAT is why people object to the term.

Ponytail? That woman is a thoroughbred (and I use that in the most complimentary way possible).

(don't use the term and I get your point)

I'm not able to watch... but Mitchell has 43 of their 71 points? Holy crap... how are we not smothering her and forcing the rest of the team to shoot?

The announcers were a tad shocked about the fact that, well, we just kinda left her able to shoot rather easily the last, maybe, 20 points or so.

I'm not able to watch... but Mitchell has 43 of their 71 points? Holy crap... how are we not smothering her and forcing the rest of the team to shoot?
I think this was a miss. Parker couldn't match up. She was just weak on the perimeter and came out to defend soft and went behind the screens. She just out muscled Parker and Scaife. Would love to have seen Copper on her outside.

Haven't watched much this year but I am a huge fan of Coppers.

bigger issues to deal with right now...

In the most important game of the season Scaife and Copper were the only players who showed up offensively scoring 51 points.Even with their stellar performances Rutgers committed 24 turnovers which are killers against a team with a scoring machine like Mitchell.

This season has been a big disappointment because the team had so many upper classmen that under achieved.Excessive fouling,absence of 3 point shooters,inability to make layups .scoring droughts and defensive lapses were all reasons for the disappointing results.Failure to make the NCAA Tournament is the end result and there is nobody to blame but themselves.

The downward spiral will probably continue next season because Scaife will be the only reliable scorer returning.Stringer is losing the magic when it comes to recruiting and that is a bad trend moving forward.

This program was the shining star at Rutgers for over a decade which Stringer should be commended for the past excellence.However,what happened in the past is quickly forgotten in sports because the competition isn't standing still.Rutgers needs to fix this program now before the downward spiral becomes more pronounced.Better talent and improvement in offensive coaching are a must for next season.

• Is Mitchell's dad a legit coach or is there another reason he's on that bench?
Her dad was given a coaching job, just before she committed. In other words, OSU's coach broke the rules (like so many other winning coaches out there.) It was so obvious this was a package deal.

How ironic that Stringer's MO is defense and tonight her players gave up 43 to Mitchell, which is now a B1G tourney record. Hmmm.
Mitchell has been scoring big against nearly every team this year. Rutgers held the team well below their scoring average. Like I mentioned earlier, she is so hard to defend.

Her dad was given a coaching job, just before she committed. In other words, OSU's coach broke the rules (like so many other winning coaches out there.) It was so obvious this was a package deal.
And her sister was also given a scholarship.

OSU lost their last 2 games so we clearly helped them look all world. Up 5 at half and down 20 in second half. Good night Irene!

In the most important game of the season Scaife and Copper were the only players who showed up offensively scoring 51 points.Even with their stellar performances Rutgers committed 24 turnovers which are killers against a team with a scoring machine like Mitchell.

This season has been a big disappointment because the team had so many upper classmen that under achieved.Excessive fouling,absence of 3 point shooters,inability to make layups .scoring droughts and defensive lapses were all reasons for the disappointing results.Failure to make the NCAA Tournament is the end result and there is nobody to blame but themselves.

Okay, we get it. Is it really necessary to post the same generic "analysis" after every game? You could say the same things about just about any team after a loss. Just curious though... Who are these "many" upperclassmen who under achieved? Certainly not Tyler or Copper. So Hollivay and maybe Canty? Butts hasn't been healthy so she contributed what she could. Hernandez is out for the season.

Not happy with the result, but doubt any RU WBB fan is.
If the NIT is all that there is to hope for, I'll hope that happens and root for the team in that Tourney.

Reactions: andrewlobby
Okay, we get it. Is it really necessary to post the same generic "analysis" after every game? You could say the same things about just about any team after a loss. Just curious though... Who are these "many" upperclassmen who under achieved? Certainly not Tyler or Copper. So Hollivay and maybe Canty? Butts hasn't been healthy so she contributed what she could. Hernandez is out for the season.

A total pack of any leadership from the upperclassmen to pull things together. ...yes individually Tyler and Copper played well stat wise but team wise no leadership excessive fouling and Hollivay despite her defense was MIA on offense. This team finshed 10th despite probably having the 4th best overall talent in the league...yes they underacheived big time and they did last year as well

Reactions: RUJMM78
We will probably win the Nit (again).
A positive post :cool2:
Thank you [cheers]

Figured there wouldn't be much of that and I'd have to look at the posts that don't make me happy or just stay away from threads that look depressing .
Good to see there is still someone looking for the bright side , even when it's hard to do.

Mitchell has been scoring big against nearly every team this year. Rutgers held the team well below their scoring average. Like I mentioned earlier, she is so hard to defend.

That used to be our bread and butter, though - shutting down the lead scorer on the other team. Surprising that we didn't have a plan to frustrate her. Or maybe the plan was to shut down the rest of the team and make her beat us on her own... which she showed she was more than capable of.

Is that the most we've ever given up to an individual player?

The fact of the matter is Coach Stringer will never win again. Even if she had UCONN's roster, they would still struggle to score sixty points and be hesitant to shoot threes, that is just the way she coaches. A offense that is that slow and doesn't shoot threes leaves the players virtually no margin for error, so while other teams play freely, confidently, and look like they are having fun, Rutgers plays like the weight of the world is on their shoulders (being berated ad nauseam also contributes to that fact). To make matters worse, what Coach Stringer considers defense, in the year 2016 (at least in the Big Ten) is considered fouling. Also add the countless amount of questionable decisions, such as not pressuring Nebraska's guards (who were without their starting and back-up point guards), and coaching the offensive aggressiveness out of all but two players, and the decision becomes clear. Canty, Hollivay, Parker, etc. would all have been more than capable had not every play early in the season been run for Copper and Scaife. Frankly, I believe what Stringer has done to "develop" Canty has been a crime to women's basketball.
This team, with all its talent, should have gone far, and things are only going to get worse as it has been made evident that no recruits want to play in Coach Stringer's offense. These players deserved better. It's time to move on.

Last edited:
Copper will be a good player in the WNBA. Has some similarities to Essence. Copper the better slasher; Carson the better shooter.

I think this was a miss. Parker couldn't match up. She was just weak on the perimeter and came out to defend soft and went behind the screens. She just out muscled Parker and Scaife. Would love to have seen Copper on her outside.

Haven't watched much this year but I am a huge fan of Coppers.
Copper would have fouled out if she guarded Mitchell.

Time for CVS to look inward and decide what she wants to do and then time for Hobbs to have a heart to heart discussion with her about the program and her future.

Copper would have fouled out if she guarded Mitchell.
you mix it up. and I was talking end game not whole game. .her length would have taken the three away (perhaps of course..she was on fire but shooting wide open). heck, they way she was playing you could have cheated a bit with a double team. something is the point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT