ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

You can ask the questions and we have the answers or partial answers.

The same problems are happening all over the place.

What exactly is the solution for making us better?
Great question!

I believe all of this Pike deserves a statue is ridiculous. I believe all of this 40 year PTSD needs to stop. I believe Pike is learning how to compete at this level as he goes. I believe in the changing NCAA landscape more coaches are in the same position as well. I believe Pike struggles with X and O and in game situations. I believe he has a strong chance to prove that with Talent he can be a difference maker. I believe he needs to change his offensive philosophy and find the right assistant to run it. I believe Pike hit a hard reset on the program this offseason and my hope he has figured something out. I believe we have talked about this incoming class for 3 years. I believe if not for this class Pike would be gone. I believe in Dylan and Ace more than I believe in Pike. I believe the most important year in RU basketball will be the class after Dylan and Ace for program success and longer term success. I believe blindly supporting a coach and not questioning decisions and mistakes is why we are where we are. I will be at every game and routing hard for the guys who put on our schools jersey. I am routing hard for Pike and the young men coming.

If there is a flow chart.....get rid of pike, dont get rid of pike.

What the heck does get rid of Pike look like? that would be russian roulette

if the flow chart says Pike needs to change/adapt what does that look like?

Want to argue focus more on O and let D slide? that's an argument...ONE THAT I THINK IS BAD
Want to argue Pike needs to forget high rated recruits and one and dones? THAT IS AN ARGUMENT

Pointing out what went wrong and saying it is unacceptable isn't really adding anything, just complaining
Also very fair!

My point is there should be a flow chart with 5 coaches on the list on who can replace Pike. That is just sound program due diligence.

I believe in defense first but if you don’t bring in quality depth and a competent offense coach it will be a losing effort.

I question will his philosophy work with one and done . It seems both Ace and Dylan know what they are getting into so that will be interesting to watch.

Pointing out what has happened is no different then the individuals who blindly heap praise or provide excuses on why things happen.

Appreciate the questions Green Rice

Great question!

I believe all of this Pike deserves a statue is ridiculous. I believe all of this 40 year PTSD needs to stop. I believe Pike is learning how to compete at this level as he goes. I believe in the changing NCAA landscape more coaches are in the same position as well. I believe Pike struggles with X and O and in game situations. I believe he has a strong chance to prove that with Talent he can be a difference maker. I believe he needs to change his offensive philosophy and find the right assistant to run it. I believe Pike hit a hard reset on the program this offseason and my hope he has figured something out. I believe we have talked about this incoming class for 3 years. I believe if not for this class Pike would be gone. I believe in Dylan and Ace more than I believe in Pike. I believe the most important year in RU basketball will be the class after Dylan and Ace for program success and longer term success. I believe blindly supporting a coach and not questioning decisions and mistakes is why we are where we are. I will be at every game and routing hard for the guys who put on our schools jersey. I am routing hard for Pike and the young men coming.
He wouldn’t be gone if not for this class . This is Rutgers lol !!
We need to have 2 straight losing seasons to even think about a warm seat.

Great question!

Man, not questioning on a message board has really put us in a bind for 40 years.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I won't finance the $30M for Hurley, but I am in for the statue.

Pike has put the program on the map. He did the impossible. My rope is VERY VERY long. 1 1/3 bad years is not even remotely has me even entertaining the thought of anyone else.
He has done a great job here so far. I am excited for next year.
But a couple of more poor seasons and he will be fired . It’s just business

Reactions: RUDivision
I hope you’re right! He has finished last or second to last in the conference for half of his time at RU. He is a 500+ level coach for his entire career going all the way back to his Stoney Brook days. For all the analytic based individuals that is 20 years of data.
Let’s hope he figures it out and brighter days are ahead.
Blindly giving rope to a 500 coach is part of the reason our program has been grinding in the mud since the 70’s.
Better years ahead we hope.

Absolutely agree has been our best coach. My questions have been is he the guy to take us all where we want to be?

If I told you a coach had his team go from a 5 seed to out of the tournament in 3 weeks. Followed that season by being 2nd to last in the conference with a losing record. In that same time he had 5 and 7/8 high min rotation players leave via portal. One significant starter quit mid season, lose his highest rated recruit after a non developed freshman year. Every sound minded basketball fan would question that coach and program.

It’s ok to ask questions
Is global warming a hoax? I don't know. I've heard things. Just asking questions. Don't blame the messenger!

• Haha
Reactions: RUDivision
I hope you’re right! He has finished last or second to last in the conference for half of his time at RU. He is a 500+ level coach for his entire career going all the way back to his Stoney Brook days. For all the analytic based individuals that is 20 years of data.
Blindly giving rope to a 500 coach is part of the reason our program has been grinding in the mud since the 70’s.
no! hiring and firing coaches every 4 year is why.

You want to repeat this

Again, you ignore the foundation and resources available. If you are the Oakland As, and have the lowest salary pool in MLB (by a lot), and the team consistently finishes around .500 (way above expectations based on salary), do you fire the GM and manager?

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
The mental gymnastics being done in this thread to not acknowledge that Pike has pressure on himself next season.

He is expected to win next season, period.

He MUST make the NCAA tournament, no more bubble shit either.

He has gotten his ass kicked in the portal over the years and nowadays the portal is the name of the game.

Fans on a message board "giving rope" to a coach has nothing to do with the long term success of failure of a program. Here's a hint........follow the money. You want a great portal center......NIL will play a much bigger role in bringing one here than your grand proclamations on this fan forum of how you don't stand for mediocrity.

Fans on a message board "giving rope" to a coach has nothing to do with the long term success of failure of a program. Here's a hint........follow the money. You want a great portal center......NIL will play a much bigger role in bringing one here than your grand proclamations on this fan forum of how you don't stand for mediocrity.
I don't stand for mediocrity. That is why I can no longer tolerate the mediocre logic and thinking of some of the fans on this message board. I have spoken.

I want to hear what the solution is.....

We fire Pike and we pay what is owed. Who are the coaches we are looking at and what is it going to cost? How many coaches exist (including those contractually obligated to their teams) that are better thank Pike?

Are we HOPING to steal a coach from another program?
Are we going after an assistant coach?
Are we willing to eat in to potential NIL money to do this?

Reactions: Eagleton96
I don't stand for mediocrity. That is why I can no longer tolerate the mediocre logic and thinking of some of the fans on this message board. I have spoken.
I have been a fan for a long time....mediocrity is not bad. If we make the tournament 1/3 of years, are close 1/3 years I am OK with that.

I have been a fan for a long time....mediocrity is not bad. If we make the tournament 1/3 of years, are close 1/3 years I am OK with that.
I want to see progress. It will take time to build the fan and donor base up to the level where we can compete at the top level. But given the size, location, and prestige of Rutgers, we still have a lot of upside compared to most programs. So I want to see more steps forward than back, with eyes on the long game.

I want to see progress. It will take time to build the fan and donor base up to the level where we can compete at the top level. But given the size, location, and prestige of Rutgers, we still have a lot of upside compared to most programs. So I want to see more steps forward than back, with eyes on the long game.
Anyone who has been a Rutgers basketball fan has seen a TON of progress.

People need to rent a time machine.

no! hiring and firing coaches every 4 year is why.

You want to repeat this
Fair point but now your questioning Hobbs ability to identify the right candidates. We assume it’s Eddie Jordan but what if it’s a Hurley or Nate Oates.

Listen it’s clear I am in the minority and I honestly want to be wrong.

Let’s enjoy next year and where the Journey takes us.

Anyone who has been a Rutgers basketball fan has seen a TON of progress.

People need to rent a time machine.
Absolutely true ! From irrelevant to a solid 500 team. I am just looking to climb another rung of the ladder and feel with everything we have to offer it’s much closer then we think. All good

I promise I will be routing for Pike and the team when the ball tips.

Fair point but now your questioning Hobbs ability to identify the right candidates. We assume it’s Eddie Jordan but what if it’s a Hurley or Nate Oates.

Listen it’s clear I am in the minority and I honestly want to be wrong.

Let’s enjoy next year and where the Journey takes us.
So you want to pay what ever is left on Pike's contract and hope we get a Hurley or Oates. For ever Hurley or Oates there are 4-5 Archie Griffins.

You are also willing to tell donors to take donations away from NIL to pay off what is owed to Pike?

So you want to pay what ever is left on Pike's contract and hope we get a Hurley or Oates. For ever Hurley or Oates there are 4-5 Archie Griffins.

You are also willing to tell donors to take donations away from NIL to pay off what is owed to Pike?
Fair as well and yes!

Do you know what sparks the most donations, fan interest, ticket sales, media coverage, etc.

Winning and winning at a high level.

Pike deserves the benefit of the doubt and he will get it.

Fair as well and yes!

Do you know what sparks the most donations, fan interest, ticket sales, media coverage, etc.

How many coaches are on the planet that would be an acceptable hire, irregardless of salary?

How many coaches are on the planet that would be an acceptable hire, irregardless of salary?
I'd have to assume that any of the "acceptable" coaches would want some guarantees about how much NIL money they'd have to work with before coming here.
Fair as well and yes!

You've heard of the chicken and the egg riddle? The egg comes first. Incremental progress.

I thought you knew better than to engage the trolls :P

This is the issue with the complainers.. unless you are willing to pony up for a PROVEN coach and sufficient NIL for players the only alternative to Pikiell is rolling the dice with a good coach from a small conference. Does that give you a chance at hitting the lottery? Sure. But it's far more likely you end up worse off.

The whiners want a championship but are not willing to live in reality. Constantly rolling the dice on some small conference coach every few years is not a recipe for sustainable success. Pony up or live with incremental progress, those are the only reasonable options.

I'd have to assume that any of the "acceptable" coaches would want some guarantees about how much NIL money they'd have to work with before coming here.

You've heard of the chicken and the egg riddle? The egg comes first. Incremental progress.
I'll go one step further. There are zero coaches that would be acceptable that Rutgers would have the resources to hire.

One thing that absolutely has to change is the frequent and mass substitutions. This tournament season has emphasized the fact that college athletes don’t need a breather after four minutes. Plenty of examples these past couple of weeks with players playing close to 40 minutes when needed, and still performing at a high level.

Reactions: soundcrib
so what is the point of having a team ? Losing for the money ?
You need to follow the conversation better; we are talking about the acceptability threshold for a coach that would be replacing an existing coach that we fired despite his making very good progress since he was hired. The only coaches that meet this threshold would be extremely expensive or just simply impossible to hire. They would need to be a proven winner at the power five level.

You need to follow the conversation better; we are talking about the acceptability threshold for a coach that would be replacing an existing coach that we fired despite his making very good progress since he was hired. The only coaches that meet this threshold would be extremely expensive or just simply impossible to hire. They would need to be a proven winner at the power five level.
would it matter if fired coach made progress or not ? no, hires wouldn't be any more or less expensive.

15-15 Pike vs 9-21 Pike costs the same to replace at whatever success level new coach has

would it matter if fired coach made progress or not ? no, hires wouldn't be any more or less expensive.

15-15 Pike vs 9-21 Pike costs the same to replace at whatever success level new coach has
What changes is the acceptability threshold.. with 9-21 Pike it makes sense to gamble on a new coach from a smaller conference. With actual Pike it does not.

Hiring Pike to replace Eddie Jordan made a lot of sense. Hiring whoever the equivalent of Pike is today to replace Pike would be lunacy.

it seemed like your point was, at any new coach 'acceptability level', salary would depend on how much progress the fired coach had made. i don't agree with that.

but sure, a more successful (i.e. more acceptable) coach will command a higher salary. Fired coach success level doesnt matter to new coach salary.

We gotta give those fans some rope for next season, see how they perform. It’s sink or swim time for them (why yes, I DO love mixing metaphors, thanks for asking).

They’re all on fanbase hot seats.

We gotta give those fans some rope for next season, see how they perform. It’s sink or swim time for them (why yes, I DO love mixing metaphors, thanks for asking).

They’re all on fanbase hot seats.
That's a loser mentality. We need better message board trolls right now. Only the best trolls will do.

Also a great question!

The NIL guarantee you brought up is by far a major component for any coach in modern NCAA basketball.

Buyouts aren’t that big of a deal you can be creative to get out from under coaches contracts.

Mid majors Sprinkle, Medved, Drew, McMillan .( top of head )

Have to scan power 5 but Halloway would be interesting. I believe Pike middle of the pac in the Big ten so not penny’s.

I look at our program in the way Gonzaga went Fitz who started respectability, Monson who took them to the next level and then Few to current heights.

I am clearly on an island so no need to entertain but answering the question asked.

Once again Pike earned benefit of the doubt so let’s roll next year and enjoy.

it seemed like your point was, at any new coach 'acceptability level', salary would depend on how much progress the fired coach had made. i don't agree with that.
Assuming you’re firing the coach for basketball performance, the firing/hiring is basically one action, and whether that action makes sense very obviously is a function of how good the fired coach is and how good the potential new hires are. If you had to fire a coach for some other reason then this wouldn’t apply.
but sure, a more successful (i.e. more acceptable) coach will command a higher salary. Fired coach success level doesnt matter to new coach salary.
It does, see above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT