ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers crew gets some pull in the Statehouse

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
What they want in return is to have Rutgers crew restored, quickly, and let it again become the flagship sport that turned out 17 Olympians in the decade or so before it was dismantled.
"All Rutgers sports should be brought up to Big 10 levels," Lesniak said. "And the crew team should be restored to national prominence."

Link---> http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...pull_in_the_statehouse_di_i.html#incart_river

I'd like to see I come back too someday. If they get the funds.

But if we're restoring any sports, Men's Swimming should come first.

It's all about $$$ and Title 9. Lesniak already campaigning for the governor's seat. If he dies get it then it will be interesting to see what he actually does or can do.

No question both crew and men's swimming need to come back as NCAA varsity teams. Both have history longer than many of the other teams at Rutgers. But this is a problem nationwide with many sports due to Title 9. The problem is that football is in the equation when trying to balance out scholarships for men's vs women's sports. And yet fb in most school is the big revenue producer and also the highest cost team to support.

Another classic example of how politicians don't know or fully understand the overall affects of what they msy be voting on. And yet this is no question that the growth of women's teams has been positive and of course at the expense if several men's programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT