ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Football Announces 2024 Recruiting Class

This class seems OK, but not many Jersey kids in this class. It might be time for a new fence.
This is the good recruiting class for a 6 win team. We are eleven out 18 in the Big Ten in recruiting and 13 out of 18 including transfers. Our class is around Maryland, Iowa, and Michigan State. The upper level (8 teams)of the Big Ten normally get 9 4 star recruits every year.

Syracuse is ranked 10 out of 17 ACC in recruiting and including transfer is 7 out of 17. Same typeof situation where the elite ACC teams(6-7 teams) recruit 6-7 4 stars. I guess Syracuse should celebrate since they were number 17 last year but it’s difficult to break the elite level. I don’t see their recruiting much better than this year since they were able to get recruits from teams where their HC and coordinators had a relationship with these players for over 2-3 years, not going to happen in 2025. Now the other elite recruiter, Jeff Harley, team BC, is 17 out of 17 last in the ACC this year.

Last edited:
This is the good recruiting class for a 6 win team. We are eleven out 18 in the Big Ten in recruiting and 13 out of 18 including transfers. Our class is around Maryland, Iowa, and Michigan State. The upper level (8 teams)of the Big Ten normally get 9 4 star recruits every year.

Syracuse is ranked 10 out of 17 ACC in recruiting and including transfer is 7 out of 17. Same typeof situation where the elite ACC teams(6-7 teams) recruit 6-7 4 stars. I guess Syracuse should celebrate since they were last last year. I don’t see their recruiting much better than this year since they were able to get recruits from teams where their HC and coordinators had a relationship with these players for over 2-3 years, not going to happen in 2025. Now the other elite recruiter team, BC, is last this year.
Rutgers certainly isn't elite yet. It takes time to build up, and there is a lot of chicken and egg stuff: You need to have a base of a decent team before elite players will come. You need some wins on the field to get the boosters excited to pay for NIL. We don't know what the ceiling is for this program given the wealth of the region in terms of both the economy and recruiting grounds. They key is momentum and hope. As long as the general trajectory is up, people will have hope and we can keep building. What we can't afford is two consecutive years of backsliding.

This class is definitely another reasonable step forward from coach slow and steady.

Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State have each one recruit from New Jersey this year all three stars. Michigan and Penn State use to dominate NJ for a few years but many of the NJ recruits fail. They started to stay away from NJ with an exception of a few recruits.

In 2022, there were only 4 4 stars in NJ, Rutgers got 2 of them, Thomas Amankwaa and Jacob Allen. I don’t think Allen has played yet. Davison Igbinosun went to OL Miss but transfer to Ohio State in 2023. JaEden Gould and Jayden Bellamy I believe are failure transferred to Cuse In 2023.

In 2021, there were 5 4 stars in NJ, Rutgers got 3 of them. Tywone Malone went to OL Miss but transferred to Ohio State 2023 and Audric Estime, RB, went to ND and now the NFL draft.

In 2020, there were 8 4 stars in NJ, Michigan got 3, Ohio State got 2, Rutgers Texas A&M, Wisconsin got 1 each. Jalen Berger went to Wisconsin but transferred to Michigan State as backup RB. Fadil Diggs went to Texas A&M played 3 years transferring to Cuse in 2024 to play with his brother a package deal, brother not a player.

Last edited:
We got 3 of the Top 10 NJ recruits which is fantastic and hasn’t happened in a number of years.
Only downside is Syracuse picking up 5 of the Top 20 NJ recruits . Have to watch this long term.

Pretty much the usual class, mostly 3 stars with a few 4 stars sprinkled in. We're going to have to do much better if we want to reach the level that some are predicting.

We got 3 of the Top 10 NJ recruits which is fantastic and hasn’t happened in a number of years.
Only downside is Syracuse picking up 5 of the Top 20 NJ recruits . Have to watch this long term.
Syracuse has been in the 70’s for their recruiting rating last couple of years but this year is in the #40’s which is a vast improvement for them. They only got 3 4 stars which is fine but they are still ranked #7 recruiting in the ACC. They think NJ is a cure to their recruiting problem because they are thinking like in the 1990-2000, times change. We will get our 3-4 NJ recruits, they will get their 3-4 recruits and the Top 10 will get their 5-6 recruits from NJ. They won’t move up too much because they are out recruited every year by the elite ACC teams. They will be fighting for mid level teams in the ACC like Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Duke, WF and Boston College. This is very similar to Rutgers in the Big Ten.

The other super recruiter, Jeff Hafley BC, is last in the ACC in recruiting. The first year or two he was in the 40’s.

The last 3 years we got 3 of the top NJ recruits every year.

In 2022, there were only 4 4 stars in NJ, Rutgers got 2 of them, Thomas Amankwaa and Jacob Allen. I don’t think Allen has played yet. Davison Igbinosun went to OL Miss but transfer to Ohio State in 2023. JaEden Gould and Jayden Bellamy I believe are failure transferred to Cuse In 2023.

In 2021, there were 5 4 stars in NJ, Rutgers got 3 of them. Tywone Malone went to OL Miss but transferred to Ohio State 2023 and Audric Estime, RB, went to ND and now the NFL draft.

In 2020, there were 8 4 stars in NJ, Michigan got 3, Ohio State got 2, Rutgers Texas A&M, Wisconsin got 1 each. Jalen Berger went to Wisconsin but transferred to Michigan State as backup RB. Fadil Diggs went to Texas A&M played 3 years transferring to Cuse in 2024 to play with his brother a package deal, brother not a player.

Last edited:
Actually I like this class and happy to see the Canada connection continue. Many of us believe our defense next year will be elite. Many of our defense players were not 4 stars when recruited, but have developed into being stars and were the mature type who choose to come back in 24 rather than partake of the portal.
I know we all would prefer to be beating the top guys right now, but we are building strength at each position and as important--- depth . I am excited about our potential in 2024. UCLA and USC don't appear to be at the level of OSU and MIchigan and I believe we will be competitive with them.

Syracuse has been in the 70’s for their recruiting rating last couple of years but this year is in the #40’s which is a vast improvement for them. They only got 3 4 stars which is fine but they are still ranked #7 recruiting in the ACC. They think NJ is a cure to their recruiting problem because they are thinking like in the 1990-2000, times change. We will get our 3-4 NJ recruits, they will get their 3-4 recruits and the Top 10 will get their 5-6 recruits from NJ. They won’t move up too much because they are out recruited every year by the elite ACC teams. They will be fighting for mid level teams in the ACC like Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Duke, WF and Boston College. This is very similar to Rutgers in the Big Ten.

The other super recruiter, Jeff Hafley BC, is last in the ACC in recruiting. The first year or two he was in the 40’s.

The last 3 years we got 3 of the top NJ recruits every year.

Will be interesting to see if Syracuse can hold things together after a dismal Bowl performance

Recruits have already signed.
Perhaps Portal transfers can change their mind or are they committed???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT