ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football CB Max Melton selected in the second round of NFL Draft

Excited Ric Flair GIF

Honorable mention B1G = 2nd round? Typical bias against RU in B1G…
Max Melton 7th CB taken in the draft.
Second BIG taken behind the kid from Iowa.
You might have a point.

Just glad we can have the conversation.
BIG membership keeps us relevant.

I’m exited for the future. The future dtaft picks we might have in the program already, and the ones who are destined to play here in years to come. Not to mention the free agents, they do a pretty good job of finding a home too!
Schiano and company have the formula.
Talent and hard work pretty much covers it.

Congratulations Max! You earned it!

NFL Overview

"Versatile inside/outside cornerback who displayed improvement every year at Rutgers."

Keep in mind RU has been at bottom of FBS for sacks and that has a direct impact on CB play.
He had one more INT (3) in 2023 and doubled TFLs (4).
Less defensive plays since RU had a running game (less 3 and outs)
Drafted as a junior

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Melton did not have a great season last year. He built his draft status on his Senior Bowl week and his performance at the combine.
I sort of agree and disagree. Max had a great post season showing at the Sr Bowl and combine. More than anything, may have moved him up a round or two.
His season- deceptively good. He was on an island so often and teams stayed away. To the normal fan, we saw him burnt more than the previous year but that is why. His individual play showed his NFL potential and made everyone else better.

Selected second among B1G CB's yet not even 1st team by either coaches or writers. Just goes to show the blue blood bias of it all. Funny, the NFL will sniff you out regardless of where you go to college. They see talent for the most part, not the uniform.

Reactions: thegock
Selected second among B1G CB's yet not even 1st team by either coaches or writers. Just goes to show the blue blood bias of it all. Funny, the NFL will sniff you out regardless of where you go to college. They see talent for the most part, not the uniform.
I've never believed all the coaches and media involved actually see a lot of games and so they go with what they think is safe. I mean a coach is in a game with his team on Sat and coaches poll is out the next day. Who saw what exactly?I don't think issue is so much an anti-Rutgers thing.

No worries- we have posters who think he had a bad year…

Thought he was hurt and had to olay press coverage with one good hand/arm.

No worries- we have posters who think he had a bad year…
You talkin' to me? I never said he had a bad year. I said he didn't have a great year. Which I stand by.

Obviously he had a good enough year to get invited to the Senior Bowl, which is a noteworthy achievement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT