ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Rutgers HWT Yara Slavikouski (2024 All-American) has entered the transfer portal

i agree with your first paragraph

but not your second where you say "little reason not to believe"...it sounds like if he got a better offer he was gone...no? or are you saying he was DEFINITELY coming back and used this for leverage? Either way, I dont think you can say we had no reason to worry

in any event, I loved how he represented RU all year so i am thrilled he is back!
Yes I think he used the portal as leverage for more money. He AA’d, said he was coming back to Rutgers for his final year and everyone took Christian Pyles word over Yara’s.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
Hope all the posters here who started badmouthing him for going back on his word based on a tweet from a guy who doesn’t have the greatest reputation admit they were wrong.

Yara likely used the portal to get some well deserved NIL/scholarship money and that’s that. He said he was coming back and there was little reason to not believe a kid of his character.
Market value and (a retaining fee) most likely determined his final landing spot. Not everyone took Pyle's word over Yara. I didnt imagine MU having Yara on the top of their list with their great success at the weight over the past years. I'm glad Yara stayed at RU and look forward to another AA with a higher finish this year. He definitely turned it on for the NCAAs. He used effective quickness/aggressiveness unlike anything I saw during the year vs better competition. He needs to continue with that.

Yes I think he used the portal as leverage for more money. He AA’d, said he was coming back to Rutgers for his final year and everyone took Christian Pyles word over Yara’s.
He woulda went if he got more money somewhere else/found a better fit…. when he said he would stay he meant it in that moment.. when he entered the portal he was genuinely exploring his options..lets not kid ourselves..

He woulda went if he got more money somewhere else/found a better fit…. when he said he would stay he meant it in that moment.. when he entered the portal he was genuinely exploring his options..lets not kid ourselves..
Exactly. He went into the portal.

Portal only used to attach a number to his worth. Rutgers was always going to match anything that wasn’t completely ridiculous. He wasn’t ever going anywhere.
you seem to be in the know...so I will defer to you

as a Rutgers fan who follows the program and knows some big supporters - but would never say I am "connected" (to wrestling) - he announced he was going in the portal, and I was very concerned.

I definitely didnt treat this situation as fait accompli that he was coming back...looking back, I certainly wish I did! LOL

again, thrilled he's back with us

Portal only used to attach a number to his worth. Rutgers was always going to match anything that wasn’t completely ridiculous. He wasn’t ever going anywhere.
I don't know SCNJ. This seems like a roundabout way to come up with an NIL deal for Yara to remain at RU. Why not just make him an offer?

I don't know SCNJ. This seems like a roundabout way to come up with an NIL deal for Yara to remain at RU. Why not just make him an offer?
NIL is new territory for everyone. Does anyone know the actual going rate for every individual wrestler? Portal gives the athlete a reference point.

NIL is new territory for everyone. Does anyone know the actual going rate for every individual wrestler? Portal gives the athlete a reference point.
True and no one knows what the actual deals are outside of their own program.

He probably would have followed the cash trail. We couldn't match that. Nor should we.
Right. So much for only being there for a value quote. Nonsense. Regardless, I believe he believed it when he said he would return to Rutgers. It was true when he said it, then he thought better and decided to test his worth. That didn't make him a liar.

He probably would have followed the cash trail. We couldn't match that. Nor should we.
Nah listen to SCNJ, Yara was never leaving for any amount that wasn’t crazy nor was he serious about exploring his options.. it was all a bluff to raise his stock.

Nah listen to SCNJ, Yara was never leaving for any amount that wasn’t crazy nor was he serious about exploring his options.. it was all a bluff to raise his stock.
I’m not saying it was a bluff. If he got offered an absurd amount of money he would have been gone, as would anyone, but anything realistic or similar to what Rutgers offered was either getting matched or passed up

Everyone is in the know, knows somebody, or can make almost absolute deductions...but it doesnt mean they will always be right.

That's not true. I don't know where he received his information but Yara was looking. Took visits to Missouri and Nebraska.
Maybe it is true.. maybe SCNJ got his information from Yara himself.. no way Yara was looking.. he said he would stay, he said it!! Don’t believe Pyles!!! Those visits weren’t real he never went. It was all part of his plan to attach a number to his worth ;)

Maybe it is true.. maybe SCNJ got his information from Yara himself.. no way Yara was looking.. he said he would stay, he said it!! Don’t believe Pyles!!! Those visits weren’t real he never went. It was all part of his plan to attach a number to his worth ;)
Sorry it wasn’t Pyles but someone in the wrestling media said Yara was going to Michigan, tampering involved, whatever the tweet was. I don’t remember it word for word. My take was that Yara would stick to his word about coming back.

Yara did stick to his word and somehow you’re going to mock me multiple times for that. Just a little odd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT