ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Line-Up 2017/18

RUSpider

Redshirt
Sep 14, 2017
My first post.

Returning wrestlers only. True freshman seem to be ready for redshirts only.

125 - Suriano 2nd - Mackall Comment: Rutgers first national champion

133 - Delvecchio 2nd - Firestone/Lipari Comment: Del's year to AA, one or both of backups will go up to 141

141 - Ashnault 2nd - MVB Comment: AA will AA for number 4. If healthy willl be our second national champ this year. No. 2 will get majority of duals matches this year. Firestone and/or Lipari are likely going up to challenge MVB. Weight could be issue here.

149 - DeLuca 2nd - MVB (If needed or weight is an issue at 141) Comment: DeLuca outside chance to AA; No real challenger to DeLuca or backup with Giraldo gone and MVB down.

157 - Lewis 2nd- JVB Comment: Lewis AA, strong weight for RU, I see JVB going up and taking 165 spot

165 - JVB 2nd - Scott/Donner Comment: Heard JVB and MVB worked hard building some muscle mass this summer. Give edge to Scott for backup

174 - Pagano 2nd - Grello Comment: Battle of Bergen Catholic. I give edge to Pagano based on documented results. Grello quiet redshirt year. Not enough bodies in upper weights for Grello to cut down to 165.

184 - Gravina 2nd - Grello Comments: Gravina AA, Grello backup for Pagano and Gravina

197 - Mulligan/Correnti too close to call. Comment: Would love to see Correnti redshirt and bulk up to 285.

285 - Gross 2nd Normandia/McDonald Comment: Gross outside chance to AA. Normandia a gamer will grab backup spot.

My first post.

Returning wrestlers only. True freshman seem to be ready for redshirts only.

125 - Suriano 2nd - Mackall Comment: Rutgers first national champion

133 - Delvecchio 2nd - Firestone/Lipari Comment: Del's year to AA, one or both of backups will go up to 141

141 - Ashnault 2nd - MVB Comment: AA will AA for number 4. If healthy willl be our second national champ this year. No. 2 will get majority of duals matches this year. Firestone and/or Lipari are likely going up to challenge MVB. Weight could be issue here.

149 - DeLuca 2nd - MVB (If needed or weight is an issue at 141) Comment: DeLuca outside chance to AA; No real challenger to DeLuca or backup with Giraldo gone and MVB down.

157 - Lewis 2nd- JVB Comment: Lewis AA, strong weight for RU, I see JVB going up and taking 165 spot

165 - JVB 2nd - Scott/Donner Comment: Heard JVB and MVB worked hard building some muscle mass this summer. Give edge to Scott for backup

174 - Pagano 2nd - Grello Comment: Battle of Bergen Catholic. I give edge to Pagano based on documented results. Grello quiet redshirt year. Not enough bodies in upper weights for Grello to cut down to 165.

184 - Gravina 2nd - Grello Comments: Gravina AA, Grello backup for Pagano and Gravina

197 - Mulligan/Correnti too close to call. Comment: Would love to see Correnti redshirt and bulk up to 285.

285 - Gross 2nd Normandia/McDonald Comment: Gross outside chance to AA. Normandia a gamer will grab backup spot.
Good 1st post. My thoughts.

125 - Spot on, Suriano top 3.
133 - Agree about Del, no reason for Firestone or Lipari to bump. Firestone has a redshirt to use.
141 - I personally think Ash will be out longer than staff is letting on. So I look for MVB to come down and wrestle most of the year and possibly all of the year if Ash gets a 6th year. If Ash doesn't get the 6th year I expect him to go out and wrestle late Jan early Feb.
149 - Look forward to see what Deluca has, if healthy I think he should be a qualifier.
157 - Lewis should be in the mix for a 3rd to 8th (and if WNG is correct he will be a National Champ)
165 - Biggest question mark in my mind. I see JVB, Grello and Scott battling it out for this weight. I know Scott beat Grello last year in a tournament but I think we should see JVB or Grello holding the spot. If we can qualify the weight that would be great.
174 - Pagano or Grello, if Grello can't make 165 I expect him to battle for 174. Pagano seems to be putting in a lot of work so I would give him the edge here.
184 - Gravina, capable of AA but really needs more than a throw by in neutral. Hopefully he worked on his feet a lot in the off season.
197 - Agree with you
285 - Agree with you

I hope our back-ups and redshirts hit a lot of open tournaments. Love to see these guys get as many matches as possible.

Agree with Correnti. He should redshirt and pack on muscle and weight then go Heavyweight. The kid can move and was sucking a lot of weight last year. He played high school football the year before in the 240 range so he can pack it on. Give him to Parker(football) for a year of strength and conditioning. Kid would be a beast at Heavyweight.

I might be the one fan who's hoping Ash gets a sixth year early. With his two nemeses Jack and Heil both graduating after this year, Ash would be the heavy favorite to win the NC in 2018-19 if given a sixth year.

hmmm I don't know about a HEAVY favorite to win next year, but his chances are certainly better for next year than they are this year.

If Ashnault wants to beat Heil, he needs to wrestle him like he's capable of. Ashnault can beat Jack (he was close to beating him at 2016 Midlands? I think it was). Ashnault has never really came close to beating Heil in collegiate wrestling, however, if Ashnault wrestles a perfect match against Heil, I think he can beat him.

Ashnault shouldn't run from Heil, if he avoids him this year and is a NC next year, it will have an asterisk next to it and be noted that he could never beat Heil.

I'm an Ashnault fan, I just think he wrestles at his opponents level and doesn't always wrestle HIS style.

Good 1st post. My thoughts.

125 - Spot on, Suriano top 3.
133 - Agree about Del, no reason for Firestone or Lipari to bump. Firestone has a redshirt to use.
141 - I personally think Ash will be out longer than staff is letting on. So I look for MVB to come down and wrestle most of the year and possibly all of the year if Ash gets a 6th year. If Ash doesn't get the 6th year I expect him to go out and wrestle late Jan early Feb.
149 - Look forward to see what Deluca has, if healthy I think he should be a qualifier.
157 - Lewis should be in the mix for a 3rd to 8th (and if WNG is correct he will be a National Champ)
165 - Biggest question mark in my mind. I see JVB, Grello and Scott battling it out for this weight. I know Scott beat Grello last year in a tournament but I think we should see JVB or Grello holding the spot. If we can qualify the weight that would be great.
174 - Pagano or Grello, if Grello can't make 165 I expect him to battle for 174. Pagano seems to be putting in a lot of work so I would give him the edge here.
184 - Gravina, capable of AA but really needs more than a throw by in neutral. Hopefully he worked on his feet a lot in the off season.
197 - Agree with you
285 - Agree with you

I hope our back-ups and redshirts hit a lot of open tournaments. Love to see these guys get as many matches as possible.
Nice job, fair look this far out.

Ashnault shouldn't run from Heil, if he avoids him this year and is a NC next year, it will have an asterisk next to it and be noted that he could never beat Heil.

I'm an Ashnault fan, I just think he wrestles at his opponents level and doesn't always wrestle HIS style.

Ash is not running from anyone. If he's eligible for the 6th year, he needs to take it b/c he will not be 100%. Sure, he's a competitor and will want to wrestle and beat Heil and Jack, but that'll be even more difficult after a long layoff due to his surgery. As a fan, you need to wish what is in his best interest, that is for him to wrestle when 100% healthy.

Good first OP and welcome aboard.

As for Ash, if he's looking for a 6th season it's because he's truly not healthy. This kid doesn't run.

Personally I hope he's healthy and ready to roll come January. Would love to see him finish out with Scotty and Lewis but the reality is that his finals chances might be more optimal next season.

He can't apply until after the season is complete. There is no way to get it early.

That is how I also understood the rule. And it makes more sense from the NCAA's perspective to not be able to apply until the end of the year, HOWEVER, WNG did post that he can apply and find out in October. Maybe the rules have changed. Also, WNG is on a roll so I have to believe him until he is wrong!!!

PS-over 7.5
PSS-there would be no asterisk if AA won it next year!

Last edited:
That is how I also understood the rule. And it makes more sense from the NCAA's perspective to not be able to apply until the end of the year, HOWEVER, WNG did post that he can apply and find out in October. Maybe the rules have changed. Also, WNG is on a roll so I have to believe him until he is wrong!!!

PS-over 7.5
PSS-there would be no asterisk if AA won it next year!
It has never happened before (granted prior to exhaustion of eligibility) and I wouldn't hold my breath as the NCAA doesn't often grant them. I just wonder how Rutgers is going to be able to present medical documentation that he couldn't compete when he did in fact compare unattached in open tournaments.

12.8.1.7.1.1 Circumstances Beyond Control. Circumstances considered to be beyond the con- trol of the student-athlete or the institution and do not cause a participation opportunity to be used shall include, but are not limited to, the following: (Adopted: 8/10/94, Revised: 10/12/95, 8/12/97, 1/9/06, 7/30/10, 7/31/14)

1. (a) Situations clearly supported by contemporaneous medical documentation, which states that a student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate competition as a result of incapacitating physical or mental circumstances;

2. (b) e student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate athletics as a result of a life-threat- ening or incapacitating injury or illness su ered by a member of the student-athlete’s immediate family, which clearly is supported by contemporaneous medical documentation;

3. (c) Reliance by the student-athlete upon written, contemporaneous, clearly erroneous academic advice provided to the student-athlete from a speci c academic authority from a collegiate insti- tution regarding the academic status of the student-athlete or prospective student-athlete, which directly leads to that individual not being eligible to participate and, but for the clearly errone- ous advice, the student-athlete would have established eligibility for intercollegiate competition;

4. (d) Natural disasters (e.g., earthquake, ood); and

5. (e) Extreme nancial di culties as a result of a speci c event (e.g., layo , death in the family) experienced by the student-athlete or by an individual upon whom the student-athlete is le- gally dependent, which prohibit the student-athlete from participating in intercollegiate athlet- ics. ese circumstances must be clearly supported by objective documentation (e.g., decree of bankruptcy, proof of termination) and must be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependent.

All indications from articles quoting Coach Goodale is Ashnault is ahead of schedule and should be ready to go sooner rather than later.

Why all the angst?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Ash is not running from anyone. If he's eligible for the 6th year, he needs to take it b/c he will not be 100%. Sure, he's a competitor and will want to wrestle and beat Heil and Jack, but that'll be even more difficult after a long layoff due to his surgery. As a fan, you need to wish what is in his best interest, that is for him to wrestle when 100% healthy.

Yes, in a perfect world, he should only wrestle if he is 100% healthy. But, wrestling tweaked up is in the nature of a collegiate wrestling season. I guess its different when you're wrestling a whole season and come March your shoulder isn't 100% (Corey Clark last year), as opposed to having off season surgery and not rushing your rehabilitation.

All indications from articles quoting Coach Goodale is Ashnault is ahead of schedule and should be ready to go sooner rather than later.

Why all the angst?

Is there a certain amount of matches Ashnault would have to wrestle to qualify for BIG 10 tourney, or would he be eligibale qualify for BIG tourney automatically even if someone else wrestled entire season at 141?

Is there a certain amount of matches Ashnault would have to wrestle to qualify for BIG 10 tourney, or would he be eligibale qualify for BIG tourney automatically even if someone else wrestled entire season at 141?

No can show up at Big tourney 0-0

Have you ever heard of "coach speak" ?

Yes. And that's not coach speak.

'It's a process ' is coach speak.

"We need to improve every day" is coach speak'

Commenting on the health of a star athlete saying he's making good progress is Not coach speak. Usually they are more cautious.

Mulligan is ahead of Correnti imo.
I would love Ash getting the year off to heal but may not be possible
MVB beating Jack in freestyle is nice but let's face it Ash would as well. If Jack doesn't wrestle on the mat he is very beatable. With the new scrambling rules it will be very interesting to see how Heil wrestles this year since he can't go to his back in a neutral position anymore. If u guys remember he did this all the time just to fight off a TD. He would have lost a few matches last year with the new rules. Finally I do see Suriano in the finals. His toughest test will be Tomasello this year standing in his way. Next year he should be favorite to win with a hungry Spencer Lee right on his heels. Should be a hell of a rivalry only to bring a ton of attention to the program.

Mulligan is ahead of Correnti imo.
I would love Ash getting the year off to heal but may not be possible
MVB beating Jack in freestyle is nice but let's face it Ash would as well. If Jack doesn't wrestle on the mat he is very beatable. With the new scrambling rules it will be very interesting to see how Heil wrestles this year since he can't go to his back in a neutral position anymore. If u guys remember he did this all the time just to fight off a TD. He would have lost a few matches last year with the new rules. Finally I do see Suriano in the finals. His toughest test will be Tomasello this year standing in his way. Next year he should be favorite to win with a hungry Spencer Lee right on his heels. Should be a hell of a rivalry only to bring a ton of attention to the program.
You think NS is a career 125? One of the rumors for him leaving PSU was that he wanted to move up a weight, although everyone thought it was far-fetched that Cael would tell a kid of that caliber that he couldn't wrestle off. I also heard that his body fat was around 4%. If that's the case, and he put any muscle on, that 4% is tough, if not dangerous, to lose.

Are they going to have wrestle-offs this year? If I remember correctly, they let an early tourney results decide last year for some weights.

Are they going to have wrestle-offs this year? If I remember correctly, they let an early tourney results decide last year for some weights.
Was wondering the same. I am guessing wrestle-offs will be held behind closed doors this year.

Suriano and I were going to wrestle-off but I told him I did want risk hurting him with my power and age advantage so he understood and begged off. After all it is unfair that I have over 56 years on him!

Reactions: IsItLuck
Suriano and I were going to wrestle-off but I told him I did want risk hurting him with my power and age advantage so he understood and begged off. After all it is unfair that I have over 56 years on him!

A wise move on the young man's part, as youth is 'no match for old age and treachery'.

The only wrestling I would attempt versus Nick S. is Thumb wrestling....or maybe sumo wrestling in those awesome sumo suits they have

Not sure where it was discussed (I did a quick search but couldn't find) so I will post here. There was some discussion about Ohio States Line-up so I will share what I heard in two podcasts I listen to recently.

Tomasello will be going 125 per Tom Ryan on The T-Row & Funky Show. Ryan also said that McKenna and Hayes will wrestle-off and the winner will get to pick the weight they want to go.

Then on the Steelwood Radio show Joey McKenna added that it will be a best 2 out of 3 wrestle-off and he said they both want to go 141 so you can assume the winner of the 2 out of 3 will pick 141.

I am guessing McKenna wins the wrestle-off (I would love to watch those matches).

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Not sure where it was discussed (I did a quick search but couldn't find) so I will post here. There was some discussion about Ohio States Line-up so I will share what I heard in two podcasts I listen to recently.

Tomasello will be going 125 per Tom Ryan on The T-Row & Funky Show. Ryan also said that McKenna and Hayes will wrestle-off and the winner will get to pick the weight they want to go.

Then on the Steelwood Radio show Joey McKenna added that it will be a best 2 out of 3 wrestle-off and he said they both want to go 141 so you can assume the winner of the 2 out of 3 will pick 141.

I am guessing McKenna wins the wrestle-off (I would love to watch those matches).

Did they discuss why NATO is going from 133 to 125?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT