ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers to Move Medical School to The Hub; Groundbreaking Ceremony Set For Thursday

Over thirty years at Rutgers has made me cynical, but this sounds like a fantastic idea. It will make the school more attractive both to students and to researchers. I'd bet that all of the groundwork was laid under President Barchi; if there's one thing he cared about a lot, it was the medical school; after all, he was brought in to make the merger work.

Reactions: RU MAN
Is the entire Medical School being moved there? Keeping some or all facilities in Newark ?Just The Tower by the golf course alone is a huge building. Maybe move the Dental School from Newark to Piscataway or have another branch? Or maybe it will be used for other sciences ? I would guess that turning it into dorms would cost a bundle, but maybe not. I know the Nursing School for the Piscataway/New Brunswick campus is very small. Maybe move some or all of that to Piscataway?

Wonder if the new building will have some dorm space for the Med School students.

Is the entire Medical School being moved there? Keeping some or all facilities in Newark ?Just The Tower by the golf course alone is a huge building. Maybe move the Dental School from Newark to Piscataway or have another branch? Or maybe it will be used for other sciences ? I would guess that turning it into dorms would cost a bundle, but maybe not. I know the Nursing School for the Piscataway/New Brunswick campus is very small. Maybe move some or all of that to Piscataway?
Maybe I read the item too quickly, but my impression was that only facilities in New Brunswick would be affected. Unfortunately, moving anything out of Newark is a political nightmare.

Reactions: RU MAN
Yes, not clear how much this is RWJMS moving components from Piscataway to this new hub.
But even if everything in P-way stays there and this is just new research space it's still important. Having the two dominant research universities and two dominant health systems in the State sharing a physical location is big.

Reactions: retired711
Is this the old location of the Ferren deck, and does it include the bookstore location, so the entire tract across from the train station and extending west?

There's a lot of badmouthing of Barchi on this site (and not just for his views on athletics). I have to think that he did a lot to lay the foundation for this important project.
Most reasonable people recognize that Barchi did a ton of good things for academics and the medical school merger, which was no easy task. This being an athletics site, he will have his detractors, but he was not horrific. To his credit, he realized his mistake with the first AD he hired, and fired her and the head football coach in one fell swoop when things got pretty bad.

There's a lot of badmouthing of Barchi on this site (and not just for his views on athletics). I have to think that he did a lot to lay the foundation for this important project.
He wouldn't have been hated nearly as much if he was just a special consultant to help with the merger of the Med School and any projects afterwards with the Med School, and not the President of the whole University.

Reactions: RUskoolie
He wouldn't have been hated nearly as much if he was just a special consultant to help with the merger of the Med School and any projects afterwards with the Med School, and not the President of the whole University.
What he did couldn't have been done by a consultant. The project needed leadership and only a President could have provided that. Consultants consult -- they don't lead.

What he did couldn't have been done by a consultant. The project needed leadership and only a President could have provided that. Consultants consult -- they don't lead.
It's moot now, but he probably then should've had a VP to run the day to day of the University and he focus on the Med School. It's nitpicking at this point, I know, but I feel like we wouldn't have been behind the 8 ball going into B1G entry had things played out in that manner. I feel like Holloway will end up being a better President for the University as a whole than Barchi was, who did some good things but royally F'd up on others.

Anyone have details?
The article headline says the medical school is moving but then no details are given.
Will the med school buildings on Hoes lane be vacated? Will they be repurposed?

This is where Rutgers rightfully shines…that’s a very exciting development!

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Anyone have details?
The article headline says the medical school is moving but then no details are given.
Will the med school buildings on Hoes lane be vacated? Will they be repurposed?
I was wondering about a lot of that to. I wonder if the new building will have dorms for the Med students. I assume there will be more details and articles later today.

It's moot now, but he probably then should've had a VP to run the day to day of the University and he focus on the Med School. It's nitpicking at this point, I know, but I feel like we wouldn't have been behind the 8 ball going into B1G entry had things played out in that manner. I feel like Holloway will end up being a better President for the University as a whole than Barchi was, who did some good things but royally F'd up on others.
Barchi became president in 2012, and we started Big Ten play in 2014. That's not enough time to do very much. Kyle Flood had already taken over as coach. Yes, it was a mistake to hire Julie Hermann, but the search committee really wanted her, and Barchi had the sense to fire her after 2 1/2 years. And I doubt Barchi had anything to do with hiring Chris Ash: that was Hobbs' brilliant idea. Yes, Barchi hired Hobbs, but Hobbs has done well in many ways (Olympic sports, hiring Pikiell, fund-raising)

Long retired by the time Barchi became president so I have no idea what the structure was with Vice Presidents (and RU has quite a few), but back in Ed Blousteins day, he he’d T. Alexander Pond as an executive VP who drove a lot of the progress that RU made during EJBs tenure. Also served as acting president when EJB died. McCormick gave Pond a lot of credit to Pond for building the University to AAU status - an important criteria for the Big Ten.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Barchi became president in 2012, and we started Big Ten play in 2014. That's not enough time to do very much. Kyle Flood had already taken over as coach. Yes, it was a mistake to hire Julie Hermann, but the search committee really wanted her, and Barchi had the sense to fire her after 2 1/2 years. And I doubt Barchi had anything to do with hiring Chris Ash: that was Hobbs' brilliant idea. Yes, Barchi hired Hobbs, but Hobbs has done well in many ways (Olympic sports, hiring Pikiell, fund-raising)
Camden, the search committee did not want her.

Camden, the search committee did not want her.
As that old TV show used to say: "Be that as it may, Skip (Stevenson?), . . . ." It does not really matter. I really hate how happy threads about great Rutgers news tend to get derailed this way. It was not anyone's intent to do that, but can we just celebrate the good news and forget the past in this instance? This is hugely great news for RU.

It's 50+ years later and more work would need to be done, but North Carolina has been greatly benefitted by developing the Research Triangle. Both areas have 2 world class universities as a foundation. I guess we'll have to let Rider cover the NC State part. But this would be an excellent start.

Reactions: BLewis1968
It's 50+ years later and more work would need to be done, but North Carolina has been greatly benefitted by developing the Research Triangle. Both areas have 2 world class universities as a foundation. I guess we'll have to let Rider cover the NC State part. But this would be an excellent start.
That is 3 world class Universities if you count Duke, unless we exclude private schools. UNC and NC State are 12 miles apart. RU and Princeton University are not that much further apart (20 miles). And there are other partners in our region.

This venture is with Princeton University. RU has several successful joint ventures with Princeton University.

He absolutely did as per a couple of conversations over the years with people who should know. Rutgers is far more than athletics, which are a small part of the overall university despite what our most rabid fans might think and he was president when the B1G invite came. His biggest mistake was not firing TP much earlier.

Reactions: 198hamilton
Better Rider than Shoe. Let them rot with mediocre academics. Actually better yet, let TCNJ in for the NC State part.

Princeton and RU, Duke and UNC, 2 world class universities. By North Carolina I meant the state, not the school.
But your comment was actually 100% dead on, though. The Triangle is three schools. If Princeton=Duke, and Rutgers=UNC, I guess Rider has to come in as NC State. Whatever the case, this is great news for the school, the area and the state.

Like or it not, Christie is who made all of this possible (and he hand selected Barchi for this specific purpose).

Correction. Christie hired Hobbs. Absolutely no doubt about this.

Most reasonable people recognize that Barchi did a ton of good things for academics and the medical school merger, which was no easy task. This being an athletics site, he will have his detractors, but he was not horrific. To his credit, he realized his mistake with the first AD he hired, and fired her and the head football coach in one fell swoop when things got pretty bad.
School presidents are like 3rd string QB’s. If you know them by name then there is a problem.
School presidents are like 3rd string QB’s. If you know them by name then there is a problem.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT