ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Iowa / Game Thread

I have no idea why they are whining about that foul call. Murry reached in and committed reach in foul that was not called by him pulling his hand out and backing off a hair he allowed RHJ to get body contact
If being on the wrong end of whistles were money, we would all be multi-millionaires

• Love
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
It’s possible that Baranka was told if he got fouled to fake injury. ? He seemed to recover immediately after the foul shots. He actually was asking McCafferty to put him back in while while McCafferty he was shooting the fouls. Surprised he missed the first.

I have no idea why they are whining about that foul call. Murry reached in and committed reach in foul that was not called by him pulling his hand out and backing off a hair he allowed RHJ to get body contact
Tough call that late. That being said the foul on McConnell when Baranka got hurt and McCarffery made the foul shot was weak

It was definitely a foul though. He hand checked him as he was turning the corner to drive.
Was a touch foul that most often doesn’t get called at all, and virtually never at the end of a game Like that. If it got called on us, this forum would melt down like Chernobyl.

But, like I say when we lose and people blame the refs, we need to play well enough that bad calls by the refs can’t be the difference. We don’t control the refs, only how we play.

Iowa missed some very wide open 3s in the second half, or they’d have had a 9-point lead by the time the ref made the bad foul call. That was in their control, and getting out-rebounded in the second half was in their control. Ultimately, those sorts of things are the real difference, not the refs.

Still, that call at that point in the game was pretty awful. But I’ll take it.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Was a touch foul that most often doesn’t get called at all, and virtually never at the end of a game Like that. If it got called on us, this forum would melt down like Chernobyl.

But, like I say when we lose and people blame the refs, we need to play well enough that bad calls by the refs can’t be the difference. We don’t control the refs, only how we play.

Iowa missed some very wide open 3s in the second half, or they’d have had a 9-point lead by the time the ref made the bad foul call. That was in their control, and getting out-rebounded in the second half was in their control. Ultimately, those sorts of things are the real difference, not the refs.

Still, that call at that point in the game was pretty awful. But I’ll take it.
You are always so glass half empty. We played 8 v 5 all night and played through some really bad calls. Sometimes things even out.

That and 1 on Harper called as a foul on the floor was very very laughable. That ref was so biased it was ridiculous.

Last edited:
You are always so glass half empty. We played 8 v 5 all night and played through some really bad calls. Sometimes things even out.

That and 1 on Harper called as a foul on the floor was very very laughable. That ref was so biased it was ridiculous.
Not sure how you took what I said as pessimistic, but okay.

Ugly win, but take it and run. Run fast! We need ever single W we can right now before February and hope to split February. That slate is brutal.

He needed to release that back to Geo cross court before crossing midcourt. He trapped himself.
Never turn your back to basket when you introduce thec3rd defender 1/2 court/baseline.
He was better just slamming it off their leg or T/O if they had one. Mental lapse there that should not happen otherwise played well

He literally dribbled and picked up the ball in the absolute worst spot on the court to do so. If he saw the trap coming he should have kept his dribble pulled up before 1/2 court back step reverse direction and pass. I have to watch the play over to see where geo was but at the same time the other guards need to clear out and pull defender away from him. . He had a other one where he jumped up to pass and had no one to pass to. 100% cannot do that. Overall played very well just gas to clean up those 2 mental mistakes

Last edited:
Fran is a great coach..play was fantastic
Woke up thinking exactly that this morning. And I am sure this will not be well received by many but Pike can't even figure out an end game shot other than a player dribble and hoist a three. I'll take Pike but please take a summer course from Fran on running an offense and setting up plays.

All good. Honestly shocked we didn't lose by 10+.

We actually played some defense
Three really big questionable calls by the refs. Even with review I don't think they got any of them right. Glad we went 2 out of 3 on them and the ones we got were a direct 4 points. But we were due for some luck given that freakin bank shot a couple years ago! Good Luck.

Reactions: hawkit3113
It’s possible that Baranka was told if he got fouled to fake injury. ? He seemed to recover immediately after the foul shots. He actually was asking McCafferty to put him back in while while McCafferty he was shooting the fouls. Surprised he missed the first.
Saw on TV he actually got up and kinda hustled to get back in but Fran told him to sit down. Knew it at the time it was opportunistic injury.

No mins for Jones today. I will put $250 on him transferring next season.
I have never seen Jones play, even for a brief stretch, with the focus and intensity that the rest of the team showed this entire game. Hopefully the light goes on on him. He's still kind of a freshman. So let's hope he sticks it out. But there is a good reason he isn't cracking the rotation.

I have never seen Jones play, even for a brief stretch, with the focus and intensity that the rest of the team showed this entire game. Hopefully the light goes on on him. He's still kind of a freshman. So let's hope he sticks it out. But there is a good reason he isn't cracking the rotation.
I think at this point there's a 75% chance Jones is not here next year. He's a 4-star who played in the summer and shined in camp now goes to being the only non-former walk on to not get any minutes. His mannerisms in the huddles on timeouts and on the bench last night were indicative of someone that has lost all interest in being on this team. I think the mods agree on this point as well.

So next year we lose Geo, Harper and Jones. The only former 4 stars left on the team will be Cliff and Paul. Everyone else will be a role player or project and we have no high end recruits incoming.

I think at this point there's a 75% chance Jones is not here next year. He's a 4-star who played in the summer and shined in camp now goes to being the only non-former walk on to not get any minutes. His mannerisms in the huddles on timeouts and on the bench last night were indicative of someone that has lost all interest in being on this team. I think the mods agree on this point as well.

So next year we lose Geo, Harper and Jones. The only former 4 stars left on the team will be Cliff and Paul. Everyone else will be a role player or project and we have no high end recruits incoming.
If his attitude and ego is such that he would rather transfer than work hard to do what the coaches want him to do, then his leaving will be a net good thing for the team.

And what's the alternative? Play him even though he's a liability on the court and we have better options at the moment?

Also, are we certain he's not dealing with an injury? Perhaps his body language is that he'd like to be out there helping his team but knows he cannot right now (for whatever reason). And perhaps he's working his ass off in practice to earn his minutes despite his body language during games.

If his attitude and ego is such that he would rather transfer than work hard to do what the coaches want him to do, then his leaving will be a net good thing for the team.

And what's the alternative? Play him even though he's a liability on the court and we have better options at the moment?

Also, are we certain he's not dealing with an injury? Perhaps his body language is that he'd like to be out there helping his team but knows he cannot right now (for whatever reason). And perhaps he's working his ass off in practice to earn his minutes despite his body language during games.
I'm taking the words out of the Mods mouths on this one: He is a good and proven defensive player. His lack of playing time is inexplicable.

No idea re: injury but nothing to indicate that. Maybe the mods can shed light on if he's been practicing or not. I would venture to guess if there's an injury we'd know like we did with Mawot Mag.

I'm taking the words out of the Mods mouths on this one: He is a good and proven defensive player. His lack of playing time is inexplicable.

No idea re: injury but nothing to indicate that. Maybe the mods can shed light on if he's been practicing or not. I would venture to guess if there's an injury we'd know like we did with Mawot Mag.
He's certainly not a good and proven defensive player in any actual college game. Pike says he plays the best and is fair to the rest. From what we have seen of Jones, he'd be a big liability in games against good competition. In the early schedule Pike has a bigger rotation, and based on how you perform you make the cut to get playing time when the big games start and the rotation shrinks. I don't think anyone can argue that Jones has earned minutes based on what we have seen in games.

It's possible that he's lighting it up in practice so much that we should have played him more and suffered our lumps in games to get him that exp. I wouldn't know that as I don't see practices. But I have heard people say good things about Miller and Rieber in practice. And before that about Mulcahy and Cliff. I'm not on the Round Table and I'm not an insider, but I haven't heard anyone say that Jones is lighting it up in practice.

Last edited:

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the mods if they're talking about his play this season. I've watched every minute he's played this season and my overall perception is that he's been a liability on D. It's subtle, though, because he defends his assignment okay most of the time.

But good D isn't just about defending one's assignment. It's about working well within the team's rotations, talking, helping without overcommitting, and so many other things people often overlook. And about consistency in all those things.

Also, on offense, he's put up some questionable shots rather than focusing on quick passes and movement off the ball early in the shot clock in contexts where it seems clear the coaches want more of the later and less of the former.

Despite all that, my perception of him is that he's going to be really good. But first he has to learn to be good within the system, and in the role, the coaches want him to be good. Not just good at shooting or good at defending his man. And that won't change regardless of where he might transfer. That's a constant on any good team in any sport.

If he's doing all that already, and he's not injured, then I don't know what to tell you. The coaches aren't playing him for some reason. And Pike doesn't appear stubborn; he's shown a willingness to amend his plans for Miller whom he was originally thinking he'd redshirt.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the mods if they're talking about his play this season. I've watched every minute he's played this season and my overall perception is that he's been a liability on D. It's subtle, though, because he defends his assignment okay most of the time.

But good D isn't just about defending one's assignment. It's about working well within the team's rotations, talking, helping without overcommitting, and so many other things people often overlook. And about consistency in all those things.

Also, on offense, he's put up some questionable shots rather than focusing on quick passes and movement off the ball early in the shot clock in contexts where it seems clear the coaches want more of the later and less of the former.

Despite all that, my perception of him is that he's going to be really good. But first he has to learn to be good within the system, and in the role, the coaches want him to be good. Not just good at shooting or good at defending his man. And that won't change regardless of where he might transfer. That's a constant on any good team in any sport.

If he's doing all that already, and he's not injured, then I don't know what to tell you. The coaches aren't playing him for some reason. And Pike doesn't appear stubborn; he's shown a willingness to amend his plans for Miller whom he was originally thinking he'd redshirt.
I just want to know what that reason really is. But a 19 year old kid, good or bad, will see other guys playing (Miller) and it's more likely than not he'll feel slighted in some way and transfer out. I mean we've had Eugene O and Young transfer out because of our coaching/system. Johnson went because of education but Eugene was explicit that he was leaving for a better situation as was Young.

There's just a hint of some mild odor within the team and you see it here or there. Eugene and Young previously and now I'm getting those scents again with Jones.

I just want to know what that reason really is. But a 19 year old kid, good or bad, will see other guys playing (Miller) and it's more likely than not he'll feel slighted in some way and transfer out. I mean we've had Eugene O and Young transfer out because of our coaching/system. Johnson went because of education but Eugene was explicit that he was leaving for a better situation as was Young.

There's just a hint of some mild odor within the team and you see it here or there. Eugene and Young previously and now I'm getting those scents again with Jones.
Eugene left prior to RU having it's breakout season. So saying he left for greener pastures back then doesn't mean he left because he didn't like the coaching. It may be true that that is why he left. But I didn't hear that.

I think it's critically important for Jones to know the reason (and to understand it).

I get the desire, by us fans to know it too. But it's really none of our business. It's a private thing inside the team, or maybe even a private thing between the coaching staff and Jones.

I think what you're sensing is either style differences, differences in approach, or personality conflicts. Those happen with every team and are an inevitable part of human nature. No reason to put a negative personalized spin on it, either for the team or any individual player, IMO. It happens. Nobody has to be at blame for it.

I think it's critically important for Jones to know the reason (and to understand it).

I get the desire, by us fans to know it too. But it's really none of our business. It's a private thing inside the team, or maybe even a private thing between the coaching staff and Jones.

I think what you're sensing is either style differences, differences in approach, or personality conflicts. Those happen with every team and are an inevitable part of human nature. No reason to put a negative personalized spin on it, either for the team or any individual player, IMO. It happens. Nobody has to be at blame for it.
You may be the most level headed and calmest person on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT