ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Ohio State Game Thread !

LOL at these announcers thinking most of the starting D is still in there. I think there's only 1 starter left in the front 7.

But the outcome is the same as Laviano, so why not continue to get him reps to see if he is the future or not. Also he's had less than a handful of series. Laviano has had a couple of years.

Cause Ash is trying to win. Oden isn't ready yet.

Thank Urban for not scoring 60. Worry about OC and special teams. Woefully bad coaching. Spend $ and bring in an experienced staff.

The issue is that laviano really can't be seen as the future qb for this program. He shows no improvement and you'd be hard pressed to say what his strengths are that he might build on. Accuracy? Nope. Vision in finding open receivers? Nope. He scrambles a little but ultimately he's not fast enough to be a real dual threat. It forces the issue of playing time being given to someone else who might--might--show more promise.

Well, somehow I thought we would score 7 points today. I was wrong. We are so ridiculously bad right now.

Uh... "Rutgers" Head Coach spending a lot of time congratulating the Ohio State players. o_O

The douche that wanted Golden or Schiano will never shut up.

Worst B1G defeat since 1981. Sorry not jumping for joy Douchey. Like Ash. Staff woefully inexperienced and it shows. OC and Special teams have shown nothing and gulp have taken steps back.

Uh... "Rutgers" Head Coach spending a lot of time congratulating the Ohio State players. o_O
It's a game and the game was over until next year. Ash coached and knows a lot of those players. What'd you want him to do, run off the field and pout? Should he form an instant hatred of all his former players and fellow-coaches?

"there is no point playing Laviano when he is not our future, play for the future"

Why is this concept so hard for some to understand? Man- mildone and Armin going as all in for Laviano as Flood. Wow.

Oden looked like a frosh but had some moves and threw a few ok. Great to see him. And we actually do have a qb too who scored a td with a nice throw when Urban was very much looking to pitch a shutout. If you're down by 3 or more scores do you really need the qb to absolutely run the option well---wouldn't a gunslinger be of use to try to get back in the game>>

"there is no point playing Laviano when he is not our future, play for the future"

Why is this concept so hard for some to understand? Man- mildone and Armin going as all in for Laviano as Flood. Wow.

Oden looked like a frosh but had some moves and threw a few ok. Great to see him. And we actually do have a qb too who scored a td with a nice throw when Urban was very much looking to pitch a shutout. If you're down by 3 or more scores do you really need the qb to absolutely run the option well---wouldn't a gunslinger be of use to try to get back in the game>>
You're behaving like an idiot. Wow.

Try to understand this; I know it's not easy for you: nobody here is all in on any QB. You need to me to write that again in bigger letters?

There's only one point I was trying to make this whole game. The QB is one/eleventh of the offense. People are so wrapped up in their hatred of the starting QB that they can't see most of the rest of the team playing as bad or worse. And that point would be equally true regardless of who the QB was; has nothing to do with Laviano at all.

Laviano was bad today. So was pretty much everyone else. Including Oden.

Learn to read and comprehend a bit before you attack other people.

Lol. Now can we stop the "why is Laviano playing"? nonsense.

Oden has a Loooooong way to go.
Exactly. And that's what Ash has been saying all along. We have problems at QB - is clear for anybody to see. But it sure gets frustrating when people keep thinking there's some magical solution sitting on the bench that the coaching staff must be missing.

Since Oden seems to be where Ash and crew want to wind up, I think I might've put him in at the half instead of later in the game. Mostly because, as you pointed out, Oden still has a long way to go and there was no chance we were winning that game. So might as well get Oden as much experience as possible in a game where we had no chance.

Mildone--Go back and read your posts on the qb situation. Once you appreciate what you've been saying you will see why it comes across how all in you are and have been. Attack all you want (I guess being all in for CL in and of itself is construed as an attack), but it's what you've been putting out. Really, go back and read the defense of the results not being qb centric.

FRurther, do you really believe the qb does not make a disproportionate difference--that it's really all about all players equally? That's what you are proposing. If there's no chance of good running or good passing, how can the O have a chance. It can't. The qb is that impt nowadays to the O. That's why ending a pointless endeavor and either achieving productivity by a switch or playing for the future makes clear sense. Arguing against such a change- as what appears to have been done repeatedly- will surely be met with countering.

Worst B1G defeat since 1981. Sorry not jumping for joy Douchey. Like Ash. Staff woefully inexperienced and it shows. OC and Special teams have shown nothing and gulp have taken steps back.
I am concerned that Ash and his staff are simple not ready to handle the demands of the Big. Urban Myer has a big umbrella and likely masked Ash's inexperience.

Just got home from family event.

Looks like I'm better off having missed this one.

Mildone--Go back and read your posts on the qb situation. Once you appreciate what you've been saying you will see why it comes across how all in you are and have been. Attack all you want (I guess being all in for CL in and of itself is construed as an attack), but it's what you've been putting out. Really, go back and read the defense of the results not being qb centric.

FRurther, do you really believe the qb does not make a disproportionate difference--that it's really all about all players equally? That's what you are proposing. If there's no chance of good running or good passing, how can the O have a chance. It can't. The qb is that impt nowadays to the O. That's why ending a pointless endeavor and either achieving productivity by a switch or playing for the future makes clear sense. Arguing against such a change- as what appears to have been done repeatedly- will surely be met with countering.
I'm not defending Laviano. I'm defending the QB position. Could have been any of our QBs in the game instead of Laviano and I would've done the same thing.

I'm sure the QB is worth more than 1/11th of the offense. And trying to define the relative percentage of importance of the various positions on offense would be an interesting debate.
Laviano is obviously not the sort of QB that can win games on his own. He needs help. He's not getting enough of that help, IMO.

It would be great if we had a QB that could win games on his own. But we obviously do not have such a QB on our team right now. If we did, that QB would be playing. Obviously.

I don't argue against a QB change at all. I argue against illogical reasons for making a QB change. I've already said (at least twice, maybe three times) in this thread that I would've put in Oden at the start of the second half, or soon thereafter. But I wouldn't have done so because of Laviano paying badly. I would've done so to get Oden experience in a game we had no shot at winning.

I also will continue to argue against the idea that fans know better than the coaching staff what QB to play and when. There's simply no logic that supports that idea. It's just pure fan frustration and reality-defying wishful thinking.

I couldn't care less which QB starts the next game. I trust that the coaching staff will make the best, most informed decision on that. Whoever that QB is, that QB will almost certainly play only as well as the rest of the team plays.

I am concerned that Ash and his staff are simple not ready to handle the demands of the Big. Urban Myer has a big umbrella and likely masked Ash's inexperience.

We just played a loaded OSU team led by one of the Top 3 coaches in college football. From a playmaking standpoint, we are VERY thin right now. Without Janarion we have no big playmakers - no homerun threat. Also our ST ace. Huge blow to our program.

Explain to me how OSU won a national championship with Ash calling the D? Explain how you think Meyer masked his deficiencies.

"If you had Rutgers and 57 points.......You Lost!" Good thing Warner Wolf is still not on the air.

Hopefuly we pull it together and give Michigan a game. Go RU

We just played a loaded OSU team led by one of the Top 3 coaches in college football. From a playmaking standpoint, we are VERY thin right now. Without Janarion we have no big playmakers - no homerun threat. Also our ST ace. Huge blow to our program.

Explain to me how OSU won a national championship with Ash calling the D? Explain how you think Meyer masked his deficiencies.
Ash looks tentative over his management of both sides of the football and it is reflected in team performance over the first five games. As DC at OS, he was one of many coaches under the Meyer umbrella. Not a negative, but this will be more of a gradual learning experience that will take time to determine whether he will be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT