ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship athletes to be stipended

Many fans (from all teams) are just now realizing that many varsity sports are not full cost scholarships...as for RU, that out of RU's 22 Varsity Sports...only those in Football and Men's/Women's Basketball at RU will receive the $4,200...as those in the other 19 Varsity Sports will only see a fraction of that (some more/less than others).

It will be interesting to see if future Title IX Lawsuits pop up when Univ are paying full COA for 98 Male Student Athletes in just 2 sports (football and basketball) while some schools are only paying 15 Female Student Athletes full COA (Women's basketball).

Why not walk ons? They have to go through the same practice schedule/work outs.

My question is: why don't all students who help the school make money and who might incur "living costs" receive stipends?

Is this taxable income? Also if you are suspened, do you still get the stipend?

This would be a reason why a student would go away out of state since the stipend is larger for out of state athletes. Even 200-400 dollars difference can sway a football player? What are the out of state stipend for Penn State, Mich and Ohio State?

It is less than a million per year.

This is great news.

Our research institute here at Rutgers asked for $20,000 a year for a part time person to handle the budgeting of our external grants, which are worth millions. We were denied less than 15 hours after the request was made. We had 4 support staff three years ago, now we have two. In the hospital, personnel (such as nurses) are not being replaced if they leave due to lack of funds. Rutgers graduate students can't find labs to work in because the charge back for tuition has gone through the roof and labs can't afford them.

I do believe that a successful sports program can, overall, be an important part of a university; it might even eventually generate revenue in the form of philanthropy or greater recognition, etc.

But I'm sorry, $1 million sure sounds like a lot of money to me.

Our research institute here at Rutgers asked for $20,000 a year for a part time person to handle the budgeting of our external grants, which are worth millions. We were denied less than 15 hours after the request was made. We had 4 support staff three years ago, now we have two. In the hospital, personnel (such as nurses) are not being replaced if they leave due to lack of funds. Rutgers graduate students can't find labs to work in because the charge back for tuition has gone through the roof and labs can't afford them.

I do believe that a successful sports program can, overall, be an important part of a university; it might even eventually generate revenue in the form of philanthropy or greater recognition, etc.

But I'm sorry, $1 million sure sounds like a lot of money to me.

This is coming out of the AD's budget. Every department has their own budget. One has nothing to do with the other one.

My question is: why don't all students who help the school make money and who might incur "living costs" receive stipends?

Leverage, if other schools are giving money to their football players, we have little choice. Fair or not.

This would be a reason why a student would go away out of state since the stipend is larger for out of state athletes. Even 200-400 dollars difference can sway a football player? What are the out of state stipend for Penn State, Mich and Ohio State?
On the Cuse board, they mentioned their stipend is $1,800 and Tenn is $6,000. No wonder Tenn are getting JG and all of those 4 stars.

All scholarship athletes at Penn State will get 4,785 no matter if they are in state or out of state.

On the Cuse board, they mentioned their stipend is $1,800 and Tenn is $6,000. No wonder Tenn are getting JG and all of those 4 stars.

Can't be based on the cost of living down there? Maybe its the equivalent of the standard welfare check? I wonder if they include dental down there?

Since I am pretty old :grimace:, I still think the whole idea of paying athletes is a very slippery slope. I always considered the education they are getting for free as more than ample compensation for putting on a uniform.
Since the amount of the stipend is obviously not fixed, the ability for this to become just another way for schools to do an end run around the rules.
Since the top athletes are always looking at college as a stepping stone, I am beginning to think there should just be a true minor leagues in football. Let the NFL develop future players and return to true amateurs for college ball.

Can't be based on the cost of living down there? Maybe its the equivalent of the standard welfare check? I wonder if they include dental down there?

The stipend is based on the difference between scholarship and COA. Saw an article comparing Tennessee's COA to Kentucky and Lousiville. Tenn COA was $4K to $5K per year greater than the other 2 schools and it does appear there's at least one factor in the COA titled "Other" that a school can play around with. The COA does get reported to the Fed, and the article believes similar schools to Tenn. will use the COA against them when recruiting actual students for the main purpose of paying for and receiving an education, as opposed to recruits playing the game of football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT