ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby’s Promise

Shelby65

All American
Apr 1, 2008
Shelby will extend his 1 week, self-imposed Schiano criticism ban until at least the beginning of next season. He thinks the rest of the season is gravy.

Shelby was so moved by Schiano’s tears last week that he cried too. Uncontrollably.

Well, that last part is a lie. Shelby doesn’t cry. But he will keep his promise above. It’s already a very successful season, surpassing his expectations.

Sounds like a cool name for a movie, song, book or something...

Shelby's Promise

Last edited:
Reactions: RUtix4me
I was on the fence before the year on GS...I had thought he did a great job to make the Rutgers name and way respectable again off the field. But had doubts on gameday.
I quite often said this was the year and I just needed to see the team moving forward.

Greg has done that for me and glad he has done that this year for you. You were a little harder but we are both the type that if he has shown us both something enough to have a flier the remainder of the season, I am sure he has done that with many more.

I was on the fence before the year on GS...I had thought he did a great job to make the Rutgers name and way respectable again off the field. But had doubts on gameday.
I quite often said this was the year and I just needed to see the team moving forward.

Greg has done that for me and glad he has done that this year for you. You were a little harder but we are both the type that if he has shown us both something enough to have a flier the remainder of the season, I am sure he has done that with many more.
I always thought Greg was the best choice in 2019 and was confident he would get us back to respectability at least, although I thought it might take 4-5 years to get to bowls, just like it did during his first round here and I never lost faith, despite some dark days. I predicted 5-6 wins this year and we're already there, although getting to 7 or more will be a tall order.

Now let's see what we can do playing with house money - if we can continute playing tough, disciplined, clean football, we'll at least be in the last 4 games (ok, maybe not OSU, as they're freakin' great) and when you're in games, sometimes wins happen. Also, let's hope bowls become a regular occurrence around here, again, and that we also get some 8-9 win seasons - I think we will.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Shelby will extend his 1 week, self-imposed Schiano criticism ban until at least the beginning of next season. He thinks the rest of the season is gravy.

Shelby was so moved by Schiano’s tears last week that he cried too. Uncontrollably.

Well, that last part is a lie. Shelby doesn’t cry. But he will keep his promise above. It’s already a very successful season, surpassing his expectations.
It's refreshing when a poster realizes that he needs to reconsider. That doesn't happen nearly as often as it should, so please accept my congratulations.

What happens if Shelby doesn’t keep his promise?

Not fair to compare Schiano 1 to Schiano 2.
The only thing I think is similar is that he showed up to a train wreck.
No comparison to the leagues we were and are in today.
But, the university's commitment to athletics is one true positive to an otherwise huge task of playing in the best league in the country. Not to mention the much harder division. Where would we be if we were in the West?
Yet, the real goal for this season just had its ticket punched today with being bowl eligible (not that coach would agree).
We may well always be looking at an uphill battle in the BIG. My hope is that we become a team that, like basketball, is dangerous for everyone. More wins will come.

Shelby’s Broken Promise
Shelby keeps promises. No anti-Schiano commentary until next year at a minimum.

He does not pledge to refrain from mocking Fieldhouse Al, however, since that pleases him. It did not please him to crap on the HC, because he did want better for the program.

The program overachieved this year already, so he does credit the HC for that.

When Shelby says “beginning of next season” is Shelby speaking of the RU Football 2024 schedule, or the GS Chop the current week going 1-0 for the season, season? Inquiring minds want to know.

Not fair to compare Schiano 1 to Schiano 2.
The only thing I think is similar is that he showed up to a train wreck.
No comparison to the leagues we were and are in today.
But, the university's commitment to athletics is one true positive to an otherwise huge task of playing in the best league in the country. Not to mention the much harder division. Where would we be if we were in the West?
Yet, the real goal for this season just had its ticket punched today with being bowl eligible (not that coach would agree).
We may well always be looking at an uphill battle in the BIG. My hope is that we become a team that, like basketball, is dangerous for everyone. More wins will come.
The old league, we beat everybody we played over there: Syracuse, Boston College, Temple and Virginia Tech. I don’t remember if we played Conn recently.

I always thought Greg was the best choice in 2019 and was confident he would get us back to respectability at least, although I thought it might take 4-5 years to get to bowls, just like it did during his first round here and I never lost faith, despite some dark days. I predicted 5-6 wins this year and we're already there, although getting to 7 or more will be a tall order.

Now let's see what we can do playing with house money - if we can continute playing tough, disciplined, clean football, we'll at least be in the last 4 games (ok, maybe not OSU, as they're freakin' great) and when you're in games, sometimes wins happen. Also, let's hope bowls become a regular occurrence around here, again, and that we also get some 8-9 win seasons - I think we will.
I think we will win 1 more down the stretch (with us blowing a chance at 2 wins) and then win our bowl game for an 8 win season.

In "Steel Magnolias", Shelby (played by Julia Roberts) gets sick and dies. This makes Sally Field angry and Olympia Dukakis slaps the shit out of Shirley MacLaine.

I'm just sayin'.

Shelby keeps promises. No anti-Schiano commentary until next year at a minimum.

He does not pledge to refrain from mocking Fieldhouse Al, however, since that pleases him. It did not please him to crap on the HC, because he did want better for the program.

The program overachieved this year already, so he does credit the HC for that.
Fieldhouse Al might be the funniest thing I've read today.

Shelby has proved himself to be a major league douche and no one gives a flying f*ck about his contrition towards Schiano.

Reactions: redking
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT