ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: New Rutgers U Logo

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
Many know Schiano invented the “block R” in his first stint as part of his build, saying we didnt even have a single “logo”. Since then the current “R” has become recognizable with all athletic programs at RU, including Camden and Newark, and the magnets on cars everywhere.

The one thing that separated us from universities like Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State etc. is that our “university” logo was different than the athletics mark.

Well, it’s official, for once someone at the university “gets it”, and as of this month, the university is officially adopting the “block R” along with a modern typefont as the official university logo.

I personally love this, it just feels right and makes us recognizable everywhere. Gone is the “swoosh R” and that font. Here is the site that talks about it and shows how the individual school logos will be updated to include the block R, and also the banners on the light poles around campus have been updated from the old “swoosh R” font to the new logo, the “R” with the modern font “Rutgers” below.

Many know Schiano invented the “block R” in his first stint as part of his build, saying we didnt even have a single “logo”. Since then the current “R” has become recognizable with all athletic programs at RU, including Camden and Newark, and the magnets on cars everywhere.

The one thing that separated us from universities like Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State etc. is that our “university” logo was different than the athletics mark.

Well, it’s official, for once someone at the university “gets it”, and as of this month, the university is officially adopting the “block R” along with a modern typefont as the official university logo.

I personally love this, it just feels right and makes us recognizable everywhere. Gone is the “swoosh R” and that font. Here is the site that talks about it and shows how the individual school logos will be updated to include the block R, and also the banners on the light poles around campus have been updated from the old “swoosh R” font to the new logo, the “R” with the modern font “Rutgers” below.

I get it. But I did like the "university" font. Thought it was pretty sharp.

So that Spiro Circle logo is gone and so is the Old Queens logo? If so that is disappointing because it had a great Academic touch to it vs. being so Athletic driven. We've lost some character here IMO.

Its funny how our teams can have 50+ variations on uniforms but the school can only have one Logo.

So that Spiro Circle logo is gone and so is the Old Queens logo? If so that is disappointing because it had a great Academic touch to it vs. being so Athletic driven. We've lost some character here IMO.
Agree.

Glad I got the old Rutgers seal buttons for a blazer when I did…

GS was on the money in moving to a big R. And I agree with this move. If I’m being honest though I actually don’t like the font of our R. All the other BIG schools have more interesting takes on their letter.

GS was on the money in moving to a big R. And I agree with this move. If I’m being honest though I actually don’t like the font of our R. All the other BIG schools have more interesting takes on their letter.
+1

To quote Coach, “it’s got a leg.”

Completely agree.

Looking through the "Visual Identity System User Guide" and it seems as though the University seal will be staying:
Rutgers_University_seal.svg

But, the "shield" logo that has been used the past few years is going away:
eebf67cd4d840e38aed261dbeab40fb0.jpg

Looking through the "Visual Identity System User Guide" and it seems as though the University seal will be staying:
Rutgers_University_seal.svg

But, the "shield" logo that has been used the past few years is going away:
eebf67cd4d840e38aed261dbeab40fb0.jpg
No, the shield has been retired after a ~7 years. They just haven't updated the guide yet. See: https://communications.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/Brand Aid August 2023.pdf

"... the Rutgers shield should be phased out..."

See also, https://communications.rutgers.edu/transitioning-rutgers-r

• Can I still use the logotype and the shield?​

There will be a phased approach to using the Rutgers R. The current logotype will be phased out, and the shield retired. Starting in January 2024, graphic files will be available to allow all units and departments to begin using the Rutgers R on any new materials, templates, promotional items, and communications applications.
    Resources are ready to support the transition of digital communications branding, starting now with the goal to complete this change by the beginning of the Fall 2024 semester. Non-digital branded items (signs, print material, promotional items) should be transitioned upon reorder and as budgets allow.
    We are NOT asking any department to discard materials they have already printed or purchased. This transition should happen as part of your regular replacement and material update cycle as resources permit.
  • Will there be a new design element to replace the shield?​

The only design element to be used is the Rutgers R.

Last edited:

Its funny how our teams can have 50+ variations on uniforms but the school can only have one Logo.
The Olde Queens logo trademark, also known as the Q 1766, has been dead for two decades.

I looked into reviving the Q 1766 trademark but the process takes more than a year. So I produced Q 1766 merchandise on my own. Strangely, when I sport Q 1766 apparel at Rutgers games, nobody gives any notice. Wearing the same gear on the street, people stop me to ask what that logo is.

If you are thinking of producing Q 1766 swag, I suggest using black, grey, and white. For some reason, when I use scarlet in Q 1766 merchandise, it looks garish, except on a flag with black Q 1766 on a scarlet banner.

Reactions: RUScrew85
No, the shield has been retired after a ~7 years. They just haven't updated the guide yet. See: https://communications.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/Brand Aid August 2023.pdf

"... the Rutgers shield should be phased out..."

See also, https://communications.rutgers.edu/transitioning-rutgers-r

• Can I still use the logotype and the shield?​

There will be a phased approach to using the Rutgers R. The current logotype will be phased out, and the shield retired. Starting in January 2024, graphic files will be available to allow all units and departments to begin using the Rutgers R on any new materials, templates, promotional items, and communications applications.
    Resources are ready to support the transition of digital communications branding, starting now with the goal to complete this change by the beginning of the Fall 2024 semester. Non-digital branded items (signs, print material, promotional items) should be transitioned upon reorder and as budgets allow.
    We are NOT asking any department to discard materials they have already printed or purchased. This transition should happen as part of your regular replacement and material update cycle as resources permit.
  • Will there be a new design element to replace the shield?​

The only design element to be used is the Rutgers R.
So does this guy get a Block R shield now…

lighter

The university still has to commandeer all logos. We can’t have some teams “owning” logos.

The basketball program apparently believes they invented the Knights script logo and refuses to allow Anu other programs to use it.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT