ADVERTISEMENT

Simple RAC reconfiguration idea

MGSA99

All American
Jan 15, 2002
Why not get the students to surround the court to pick up the atmosphere a little bit? Look at how Clemson is reconfiguring their court as they renovate their arena over the next year:

6657777_G.jpg

Right now they have their student section in three narrow sections heading straight to the top on both baselines. This will move them to court side. All those Orange seats is where they will be placed, displacing their lower bowl season ticket holders.

Why couldn't we do this kind of set up? Consolidate the 100-level seat holders to one side and place the students on the other, as well as in section 118 (Sorry BK) and the usual student section. Might bring some excitement to the games and let's face it, courtside is usually dead and empty anyway.

"But Vivian Stringer doesn't need facilities ..."
"Disband men's basketball and use money for wrestling ..."
"Some player transferred in 2002 so that's why we don't need ...."
"When football starts printing money, THEN you will get ..."
"All you need is an established coach and 1-2 players to turn this thing around ...""

we cant get 100 kids to come to the games.

An atmosphere is hard to come by for 10 win teams down 15 points

The point is with how Rutgers basketball is right now, anything will help. Will a practice facility solve everything,no. Will it help? Yes.

Originally posted by higgins3:
The point is with how Rutgers basketball is right now, anything will help. Will a practice facility solve everything,no. Will it help? Yes.
Higgs,

The point is the loyal season-ticket holders make up the majority of Rutgers fans. The students (not you) could care less.

I actually think this would be a good idea - but would it work at RU with so much losing?

Having student section around the court might help, but ultimately it will not have much play in changing the product on the court.

What could help that quickly? Getting awesome uniforms and socks. Getting a practice facility.Seems crazy about the sock/shoe/uniform deal, but that's what's important and not super expensive.

this is a horrible suggestions...so we can have 50 students in the courtside...lol...and for one game give they do show give them choice seating...I don't think so

Aggs, i wasn't saying i was for that.

We're dealing with our student population right now. The student section hasn't been horrible this year. It was worse last year.

Nonetheless, unless the team is winning and it becomes a cool thing to do, students will still not show.

the only way 50 students on courtside will make a difference is if they are female and topless when the other team has the ball AND that will not help if we shoot like we do!

At this point, the old fogies (I'm getting there - fast) are more passionate than all but the 5 or 6 Riot Squad dudes that are at every game. It's probably hard to imagine for someone that hasn't been following the program for very long but you don't need to have students surrounding the court to have a great atmosphere at the RAC. The acoustics of the building alone make it deafening...when there is reason for excitement.

When the day comes that a new building replaces the RAC I would imagine that would be a topic for discussion. It's more important to have the students up close when you have a building where sound does not bounce off the ceiling like the RAC.

They are not going to rip out the revenue generating cushy seats to put students there. Not happening in my lifetime.

Originally posted by ColonelRutgers:
At this point, the old fogies (I'm getting there - fast) are more passionate than all but the 5 or 6 Riot Squad dudes that are at every game.
Think it is down to the Riot Quad...

The student section is currently the quietest part of the arena.

When the team had good years during the Waters years, the RAC was deafening. Same configuration as it is now. The differential is fan enthusiasm.

Originally posted by 1984:
At this point, the old fogies (I'm getting there - fast) are more passionate than all but the 5 or 6 Riot Squad dudes that are at every game.
How about the Quiet Riot Squad

Originally posted by ruman:

Originally posted by 1984:
How about the Quiet Riot Squad

Let me first say that I'm one of the ones who doesn't stop cheering unless it's just really, really pointless. I yell until I have no voice, I'm at every men's and women's game I can get to, and I have more RU T-Shirts than I can fit into my dorm room drawer. I've gone to women's and men's soccer games, gymnastics, wrestling, and as soon as I can do so without losing my nose to frostbite, I'll be at lacrosse and baseball. I've been coming to Rutgers games since before I knew what I was watching, and that's for almost every sport too, LaX, Baseball, etc.

Having gotten that out of the way...seriously,what do expect? You want students to come out, on a weeknight, during midterms, to come watch our team getting blown out by...everyone? I'm not making excuses for them, I'm just saying that you seem to be asking for a lot of blind faith and loyalty for a fanbase that hasn't really had much of a reason to come out. Wisconsin barely counts because it happened over winter break and the aforementioned losing streak since then. I'll happily give you blind faith and loyalty. But I'm part of a very, very small minority. The student section STARTED getting loud last night, then the team lost it at the last few minutes.

You expect the students to be excited? Really? The athletic department doesn't really do much to promote the games (Especially compared to FB). We don't even get much of a crowd for women's basketball and they're really, really good.

You want to insult the students, and especially the Riot Squad? Come and cheer with us for as long, and as hard as we do. Then you can complain about it, but I doubt you'll have a voice to do so with.

Win and the passionate fans will come, because there will be something to be passionate about.

So...yeah. That. Rant over.
mad0012.r191677.gif

its a play on words - Quiet Riot was some band back in the days.

Believe me, you will never hear from my that its the fans fault. It certainly is not.

Someday, maybe far in the future, we will have a team that the fans dont appreciate.

That is not now, nor hasnt been this way in 30 years.

Originally posted by ruman:
its a play on words - Quiet Riot was some band back in the days.

Believe me, you will never hear from my that its the fans fault. It certainly is not.

Someday, maybe far in the future, we will have a team that the fans dont appreciate.

That is not now, nor hasnt been this way in 30 years.
In that case, all is forgiven!
happy0001.r191677.gif

Originally posted by linzalonic:
The student section is currently the quietest part of the arena.

When the team had good years during the Waters years, the RAC was deafening. Same configuration as it is now. The differential is fan enthusiasm.
I agree, its about enthusiasm. If we were a winning program and building a new Arena, I think that kind of configuration makes sense. But we are a long way off from that.

THe current configuration is fine, Winning and Enthusiasm are what we need.

The notion that the biggest donors and long time season ticket holders would have to move to satisfy a student body that rarely attends games is a utterly ridiculous suggestion.

More practically speaking, there aren't enough "good" seats to give away any to the students. What genius thought it was a good idea to have the 100 sections to be the size of high school bleachers. 100s should have been double the current size, and then the 2nd level should begin.

78 is correct. The students attend the games in very small numbers. If we reserved the side sections for the students we would have much of the 100 sections empty on national TV for many games. Our loyal fans pay a lot of money for those seats and have supported the team for many years and most are alumni of RU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT