ADVERTISEMENT

SMIKLE

I don't believe she started but came in in second period. Maybe she was sick and couldn't go after trying.

Unfortunately with this program we seem to be at the "if a tree falls in a forest" stage
you see boogeymen men everywhere when it comes to RU WBB and have a habit of coming on the WBB board to criticize but far less ofter when things are going pretty well.

Actually the tree falling isn't a good description, the concur should be ,does the tree look like it will bear fruit like it did back in the day

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Now do the men's basketball THIS season.
I'm beginning to suspect some kind of curse was put on Rutgers athletics
that doesn't allow RUFB, RUMBB & RUWBB to be winners at the same time.
It seems like when RU WBB was doing well: the other major programs weren't
Same with RU MBB & FB, when they looked good> others looked bad.

I have been

But we have 2 and 3 coming in
And? I see you thought maybe things looked kind of postive against Ohio State, but it was still a loss. To quote your words: "I do not take a moral victory because that is a losing mentality. Yet sometimes its not always about winning." To be fair, you have been forthright with a lot of negative things in Year 8 of Pikiell.

My point is wrt to the post of yours I responded to, you could not offer a small modicum of positivity for team battling and losing by only 1 point when Smikle and Bates sitting out? Nope, you just posted a snark.

As to recruiting, Pike is in year 8. How was Pike's recruiting in year 2-3? It's still a little early to throw in the towel on the new coach. Pike's B1G records were 3-15, 3-15 in years 1 and 2, and 7-13 in year 3. For that matter, Coach Washington went 5-13 in year 1 with a severely depleted and thin roster.

You know I tend to mostly look on the bright side of things.

Back to men's, while I do not follow hoops nearly as closely as I do football because of other priorities, but I follow closely enough and have a few friends with season tickets who I talk to regularly that I sort of expected this year would not be a great year for the team. Maybe they are starting to gel as shown in the Ohio State game, or maybe not.

Reactions: BossNJ
I like Washington and she has been a miracle worker to girl a team given the mess she inherited. If she is able to get some decent recruits/transfers she will coach them up. Regarding Pike, he has done a very good job but this years team with its talent is a bit over .500 maybe to be realistic

Reactions: ScarletDave
On the plus side 8/10 from the line and only outrebounded by 1 50 seconds left in 3rd

I like Washington and she has been a miracle worker to girl a team given the mess she inherited. If she is able to get some decent recruits/transfers she will coach them up. Regarding Pike, he has done a very good job but this years team with its talent is a bit over .500 maybe to be realistic
How did we get this challenged in women’s basketball? We used to be pretty good.

Just thought I’d update in this thread (meant to do it sooner, apologies):

Coquese Washington said tonight that Smikle is “day-to-day, game-to-game” with a medical issue (due to certain privacy rules she could not disclose anything more, as some of you noted). Couldn’t quite get a read in the room on if it seemed long-term or short-term, just that “when she’s better, she’ll be back”. So we’ll see!

Smilke wasn’t at the game.

So that being said, she has a condition that’s contagious or not well enough for her to be around the team.

Hopefully it’s a short term thing and she’s back and healthy soon.

We had some injured players in December that were up in the boxes above the entrance to the arena. She could have been up there. Additionally, she was behind the team at Purdue so I doubt she had something contagious.

I also hope she is back and healthy soon.

So let me try to understand this . She can’t sit with her team but can sit in the crowd? And she’s contagious … not something that should intimated on our board.

So let me try to understand this . She can’t sit with her team but can sit in the crowd? And she’s contagious … not something that should intimated on our board.
I believe the contagious was more of a question then statement.
Doubt she'd be allowed in the stands if Rutgers knew she was contagious
because that would leave the school open to lawsuit if it was found out she was allowed to sit in stands and possibly infect people around her.

Washington should go find her a 6-5 center from anywhere, why is it so hard to do this at Rutgers I mean do we have to be over loaded with 5-9 guards . Not one player is taller than 6-3 I mean you have to get a rim protector in the post so your guards can do there thing

Washington should go find her a 6-5 center from anywhere, why is it so hard to do this at Rutgers I mean do we have to be over loaded with 5-9 guards . Not one player is taller than 6-3 I mean you have to get a rim protector in the post so your guards can do there thing
The center on PSU didn't even play well but her mere presence altered shots, helped get rebounds and just impacted every aspect of our game. Would be nice to have someone like that.

The center on PSU didn't even play well but her mere presence altered shots, helped get rebounds and just impacted every aspect of our game. Would be nice to have someone like that.
Rebounding wasn’t the issue - our centers are better. She had 6 rebounds, Cornwell had 9 and Brown had 6. Adams also had 9 and Bates 6. Defensive presence probly caused a few of our misses and turnovers, but I wouldn’t trade either of our centers for her.

The main issue was that PSU was aggressive on both offense and defense. I believe our turnovers were in the 20's. They really didn't care if they fouled because the ref's weren't going to call everything (and they did miss many). Plus they had a long bench. Our bench is very limited. We out rebounded them but the TO's killed us. Other teams (Iowa, PSU for example). constantly move without the ball with a purpose and make crisp passes. Hopefully new Coach K Copper can instill an aggressive culture like CVS but with better offensive moves. I have been attending games since Sue Wicks and this is one of the few teams over that time that doesn't have an identity.

I agree depth is a huge issue. However, having an imposing center presence would make a big difference tactically. How many times did PSU penetrate and drive straight to the hoop to get a good look? 2 dozen? It sure felt like that. Defense should improve with more and better bodies each season I hope.

I agree depth is a huge issue. However, having an imposing center presence would make a big difference tactically. How many times did PSU penetrate and drive straight to the hoop to get a good look? 2 dozen? It sure felt like that. Defense should improve with more and better bodies each season I hope.
Didn’t help that they had veteran guards and our guards are frost and soph

Maybe a positive ??
On radio postgame when they do the little “ This is (player name) and you’re listening to Rutgers basketball on Fox” announcemen, tonight it was Smikle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT