ADVERTISEMENT

Some Insight on NIL Going-rate for a P5 big man

Ru7580

Junior
Mar 29, 2021
Cal apparently lined up around $400k in NIL deals for center Fardaws Aimaq whose rated a 4 star transfer by a couple services.

The info comes from a Cal booster (happens to be my neighbor) who is involved with the Bears NIL fund. He suggested that the number would have been higher if not for lingering questions about the kid’s health (foot injury limited him last year at Texas Tech).

Since information regarding NIL deals is relatively scant, I thought this would be helpful to get a sense for the type of money it takes to get some of these guys.

I see Cal got a commit from another transfer yesterday. Another 4 star. I’ll ask my neighbor later today to see if he’s willing to give me any info. This transfer is probably more indicative of NIL value for a good player- he was down to Cal and Kansas and there aren’t any health concerns with this one. My sense is they got Aimaq at a discount due to his injury.

Cal apparently lined up around $400k in NIL deals for center Fardaws Aimaq whose rated a 4 star transfer by a couple services.

The info comes from a Cal booster (happens to be my neighbor) who is involved with the Bears NIL fund. He suggested that the number would have been higher if not for lingering questions about the kid’s health (foot injury limited him last year at Texas Tech).

Since information regarding NIL deals is relatively scant, I thought this would be helpful to get a sense for the type of money it takes to get some of these guys.

I see Cal got a commit from another transfer yesterday. Another 4 star. I’ll ask my neighbor later today to see if he’s willing to give me any info. This transfer is probably more indicative of NIL value for a good player- he was down to Cal and Kansas and there aren’t any health concerns with this one. My sense is they got Aimaq at a discount due to his injury.
The commit yesterday was Jaylon Tyson, who was at Texas Tech. Madsen doing an amazing job of quickly restructuring roster after Fox fiasco.

The commit yesterday was Jaylon Tyson, who was at Texas Tech. Madsen doing an amazing job of quickly restructuring roster after Fox fiasco.
Yea, folks here seem to be excited about what he can do for their program. Not bad considering he was considered a consolation prize. Cal boosters were trying hard to get J Kidd. He showed some tepid interest apparently but I think it was just a courtesy to his alma mater. But hindsight, he may wish he took the job. Basing that mostly on my opinion of Kyrie- without getting into his personal beliefs and from a strictly basketball perspective, he’s a coach-killer and not good for the locker room (this is straight from the same Cal booster who was classmates and still good friends with Sean Marks, the Nets GM-was told he was not a fan of bringing in Kyrie and that once ownership gave the green light, he traded Kyrie as fast as he could).

Reactions: rucoe89
Interesting. I guess this is at least part of the reason he ended up at Kansas. I’ve heard his deal is 7-figures. If true, makes the Cal big man look like a bargain, even with Dickinson being a better player with no significant injury concern.

As it pertains to RU, I don’t think we’ll be chasing many, if any, 7 figure portal players and that’s okay. Pike has shown he’s a very good talent evaluator and the NIL market for guys not at the very top, like Dickinson, is relatively reasonable.

Yea, folks here seem to be excited about what he can do for their program. Not bad considering he was considered a consolation prize. Cal boosters were trying hard to get J Kidd. He showed some tepid interest apparently but I think it was just a courtesy to his alma mater. But hindsight, he may wish he took the job. Basing that mostly on my opinion of Kyrie- without getting into his personal beliefs and from a strictly basketball perspective, he’s a coach-killer and not good for the locker room (this is straight from the same Cal booster who was classmates and still good friends with Sean Marks, the Nets GM-was told he was not a fan of bringing in Kyrie and that once ownership gave the green light, he traded Kyrie as fast as he could).
Politics aside, I don't understand how people can watch Kyrie play basketball. Hear all of his former and current teammates/coaches rave about him and do cartwheels to try and get him on their team but still say these things about "locker room cancer". Where is this coming from if not from the players or coaches?
Tyron lue was trying to bring him to clippers, LeBron was trying to bring him to the Lakers, all of the Mavs players say they love him. All of the nets players say he was the best teammate they ever had. I know jeaq Vaughn wishes he was still there. Maybe wouldn't have to watch Spencer dinwiddie try to throw lobs to clax. KD requested a trade after nets wouldn't sign Kyrie for a reason. Mavericks praying they can resign him. I do understand why management wouldn't like him though lol. But as far as basketball goes it's undeniable the man is a prodigy. I'll tell you this much I actually enjoyed going to nets games and following the team with KD and Kyrie because I enjoy high level basketball. I've known Kyrie for a while, not close friends or anything but he's not a bad guy at all. It's amazing to me how the media is able to keep repeating something until everyone believes it.

Reactions: miket007 and Ru7580
Politics aside, I don't understand how people can watch Kyrie play basketball. Hear all of his former and current teammates/coaches rave about him and do cartwheels to try and get him on their team but still say these things about "locker room cancer". Where is this coming from if not from the players or coaches?
Tyron lue was trying to bring him to clippers, LeBron was trying to bring him to the Lakers, all of the Mavs players say they love him. All of the nets players say he was the best teammate they ever had. I know jeaq Vaughn wishes he was still there. Maybe wouldn't have to watch Spencer dinwiddie try to throw lobs to clax. KD requested a trade after nets wouldn't sign Kyrie for a reason. Mavericks praying they can resign him. I do understand why management wouldn't like him though lol. But as far as basketball goes it's undeniable the man is a prodigy. I'll tell you this much I actually enjoyed going to nets games and following the team with KD and Kyrie because I enjoy high level basketball. I've known Kyrie for a while, not close friends or anything but he's not a bad guy at all. It's amazing to me how the media is able to keep repeating something until everyone believes it.
The info I got was from a management perspective. I could see how someone in the front office would be cautious to hitch their wagon to Kyrie. Without delving into his politics, he has made some controversial statements that the media has made a story of (not arguing if they did so rightfully or wrongfully, just that they did) and his position on the covid vaccine (again not debating its merits) did render him ineligible for some Brooklyn home games. As Bill Parcels once said, “the most important ability is availability”- Hopefully we won’ see a scenario like that one again for a very long time, but as a GM, would I be worried about Kyrie being eligible under similar circumstances? Probably.

In terms of his game, you’re absolutely right- he is a magician on the offensive end of the floor and worth the price of admission. But I could think of a couple of point guards that aren’t as brilliant offensively that I’d rather have on my team. Guys who, when put surrounded by the right pieces, make a roster more valuable than the sum of its parts. Harden is probably a better example- he’s also brilliant offensively, but hes a ball stopper and does little on the defensive end. I could watch him play all day for the entertainment of it, but he’s not the guy I’d have faith in to bring a championship to my team.

The fact that both guys have been traded a couple of times may also say something about how they are generally viewed by their former franchises. Not saying that’s def the case, but usually franchises will do everything possible to hold onto players they think can win them a championship.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
Tyson got around $450k. No info on whether it’s all guaranteed or not.
I think the guaranteed money Slater is referencing is the Cost of Attendance plus Academic bonus and the rest is the part to expect 15-20%.

Reactions: Ru7580
Would have been great to see Kidd back in the Bay. Saw him last year at a the game against Stanford at Haas. He seemed happy to be there. Saw him outside after the game and he was interacting as a normal person with no special treatment despite his star power.

Glad to see Cal is also getting a sorely needed practice facility. I am ok with Haas for games - typical old school gym with no bells and whistles - may change if they by luck get invited to the B1G. In the meantime, it reminds me of the experience at the RAC.

Sounds like briefcases full of Benjamins helped with this restructuring plan, eh? Throw enough cash at these young men and everyone has the opportunity to do the same.

Sounds like briefcases full of Benjamins helped with this restructuring plan, eh? Throw enough cash at these young men and everyone has the opportunity to do the same.
The world the SEC schools lived in that now everyone lives in.

Would have been great to see Kidd back in the Bay. Saw him last year at a the game against Stanford at Haas. He seemed happy to be there. Saw him outside after the game and he was interacting as a normal person with no special treatment despite his star power.

Glad to see Cal is also getting a sorely needed practice facility. I am ok with Haas for games - typical old school gym with no bells and whistles - may change if they by luck get invited to the B1G. In the meantime, it reminds me of the experience at the RAC.

I have yet to go to a game but plan on checking them out next season. Would be happy to have another RU fan in the group. Let me know if you ever need a ticket (not that they’re hard to come by), my neighbor usually has access to extras.

multiple players on our roster took in over 6 figures in NIL this past season - believe it or not
I don't but I'm open to any type of evidence
money-show.gif

I don't but I'm open to any type of evidence
money-show.gif
without giving up my source i’d say the proof is in the pudding: i don’t care how good you think pike and co are at relationship building (they are great at it and it helps), we would not have the #3 2024 recruiting class if we didnt have money to give these players once they got here

without giving up my source i’d say the proof is in the pudding
Hilarious
Without giving up a source:
Who/Where did the money come from? KoTR? Geo's Group? or some mysterious Billionaire who must remain anonymous?
What did they have to do to get it? Personal appearances, social media posts? Those should be easy to verify.

@kt124 is right. I was told Bailey has a 7-figure deal. All the evidence you really need is the going-rate for 5-star players. To think that Bailey loves RU so much that he’d be willing to forego life-changing money, when that’s what all his peers are getting, would be naive. As for the source of the money, they don’t want it publicized, and why would they. Cutting a $1M+ check to a kid is going to raise eyebrows and result in increased scrutiny for that individual(s). Just look at the Miami booster whose company’s stock was affected by all of the NIL deals he was making/publicizing.

As fans, it makes sense that we want to know how much and whose paying it, but if parties don’t want that made public, I’m fine with being along for the ride.

@kt124 is right. I was told Bailey has a 7-figure deal. All the evidence you really need is the going-rate for 5-star players. To think that Bailey loves RU so much that he’d be willing to forego life-changing money, when that’s what all his peers are getting, would be naive. As for the source of the money, they don’t want it publicized, and why would they. Cutting a $1M+ check to a kid is going to raise eyebrows and result in increased scrutiny for that individual(s). Just look at the Miami booster whose company’s stock was affected by all of the NIL deals he was making/publicizing.

As fans, it makes sense that we want to know how much and whose paying it, but if parties don’t want that made public, I’m fine with being along for the ride.
"the going rate for 5-star players" is not evidence. That's a rumor.

I heard Bailey's recruiting was more about Brandin Knight's recruiting and relationship-building than NIL. Knight was recruiting him before he was a top-ranked player.

If you truly believe Bailey is getting $1,000,000 (the round number isn't a dead give-a-way?) what do you think the other members of the team are getting or what Dylan Harper is going to get?
Is Cliff getting a million to stay? (Summer trip to Senegal/Portugal - Cliff can get paid) Cam? Paul?
Do you think Rutgers has a 4-5 million dollars going to players for NIL?

I heard Bailey's recruiting was more about Brandin Knight's recruiting and relationship-building than NIL. Knight was recruiting him before he was a top-ranked player.

If you truly believe Bailey is getting $1,000,000 (the round number isn't a dead give-a-way?) what do you think the other members of the team are getting or what Dylan Harper is going to get?
Is Cliff getting a million to stay? (Summer trip to Senegal/Portugal - Cliff can get paid) Cam? Paul?
I think it’s crazy to think that we get a top 5 player in the country without a significant NIL deal. I said the deal was 7-figures/$1M+, not $1M flat, not that that would be some dead give-away if it were. I don’t know what other players at RU are getting because I’m not that plugged in at RU. But as stated in the OP Cal, a school not known for their commitment to athletics, is paying decent players close to $500k/year. Read the article that Richie posted this morning that states “if all things are equal” RU has a good chance to get Dylan. He goes in to say that “all things being equal” means if RU can come up with an equivalent NIL deal. If Harper, who Pike has known since he was a little kid and whose brother is a legacy, is going to require NIL to choose RU, why would you think Bailey, who doesn’t have the same ties to RU as Harper, wouldn’t require NIL?

In Bailey’s case, I don’t just believe he’s getting a big NIL deal, I have it on pretty good authority that he is. But even absent that, it’s just common sense. Would you pick a job that pays you half of what you could make somewhere else just because you had good relationships at the place paying you less?

Last edited:
In Bailey’s case, I don’t believe he’s getting a big NIL deal, I have it on pretty good authority. But even absent that, it’s just common sense. Would you pick a job that pays you half of what you could make somewhere else just because you had good relationships at the place paying you less?
What? You just posted you were told he has a 7 figure deal? Did you mix up names.

You're talking to the wrong guy as far as $$ vs quality of life goes. If I could afford to take half, yes I would if it would make me happier. Like I said, wrong guy to ask, I'd agree I'm atypical.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
In Bailey’s case, I don’t believe he’s getting a big NIL deal, I have it on pretty good authority. But even absent that, it’s just common sense. Would you pick a job that pays you half of what you could make somewhere else just because you had good relationships at the place paying you less?
Well, my first thought would be what situation and coaching staff will make me happy while I work on my draft potential.. aka where the REAL money is. Taking more money now can cost you in the long run... a little injury or personality conflict on the team or coaches could see you recruited over easily by these big-money teams.. their investment in your future cut short as their money chases the next big thing.

Now.. I will admit that I was thinking of how I could pitch a less money situation and that is not specific to any individual or Rutgers ability to polish the games of future NBAers.. I don't think we have had enough of that kind of talent level to know for certain. But it does seem like a fun place to play... obviously, since multiple recruits have said so.

Richie confirmed Ace had multiple 7 figure deals on the table.

What? You just posted you were told he has a 7 figure deal? Did you mix up names.

You're talking to the wrong guy as far as $$ vs quality of life goes. If I could afford to take half, yes I would if it would make me happier. Like I said, wrong guy to ask, I'd agree I'm atypical.
I can see how what I posted could be read to mean the opposite of what I intended. I was trying to say I don’t believe, I know (with pretty high confidence/certainty) that he’s getting a 7-figure deal. Poorly worded. My bad.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I wonder if Alston money is equal across all athletes at Rutgers.

This is the way some schools are able to have everyone getting something, with the big players getting a lot more. At least in the lacrosse world.

I can see how what I posted could be read to mean the opposite of what I intended. I was trying to say I don’t believe, I know (with pretty high confidence/certainty) that he’s getting a 7-figure deal. Poorly worded. My bad.
Got it, one of the hazards of message boards. Thanks for the clarification

I have yet to go to a game but plan on checking them out next season. Would be happy to have another RU fan in the group. Let me know if you ever need a ticket (not that they’re hard to come by), my neighbor usually has access to extras.
Will do - would be great to catch a game with another RU Fan!

Hilarious
Without giving up a source:
Who/Where did the money come from? KoTR? Geo's Group? or some mysterious Billionaire who must remain anonymous?
What did they have to do to get it? Personal appearances, social media posts? Those should be easy to verify.
What is hilarious is that you’re still in denial about NIL 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT