ADVERTISEMENT

***Spring QB competition***

bobby deren

Heisman Winner
Feb 8, 2007
This spring will mark the third actual QB competition I will have watched up close in spring practice as Hayden Rettig and Chris Laviano will battle it out for the right to control the RU offense. Here's a little look back at the history of those spring QB scenarios from my perspective on the sidelines.

2007 Mike Teel - Jabu Lovelace had his own package but was never a threat to steal Teel's job.

2008 Mike Teel - Teel had a very good spring and really connected with his WRs. There was no question that he would start over Dom Natale.

2009 Dom Natale vs D.C. Jefferson
Spring practice was miserable. It rained just about every day and it was cold, windy and damp. There was a perfectly functioning practice bubble yet Greg Schiano wanted to remain outdoors. The QB play was probably just as bad. Natale and Jefferson both struggled mightily. The writing was on the wall that true frosh Tom Savage was going to take over the reins in the summer. Natale finished as the No.1 but not because he was head and shoulders better than Jefferson. He just was not as bad. I will say that Jefferson showed marked improvement that summer before Schiano shuffled him off to TE. I always thought that move was a little too hasty as Jefferson was showing signs of progress from spring to summer.

2010 Tom Savage - It was Savage's show after going 9-4 as a true frosh. Dodd was the clear No.2.

2011 Chas Dodd - Dodd was the definitive No.1 although many anticipated the arrival of Gary Nova in the summer as he was Frank Cignetti's guy after coming in from Pitt.

2012 Gary Nova - Rutgers had its best defense in years and was fully reliant on Nova. Dodd was still the clear cut No.2.

2013 Gary Nova - Flood was insistent Nova would be his guy even after a miserable end to the 2012 season. Meanwhile, Dodd bided his time.

2014 Gary Nova vs Chris Laviano - Flood seemed to learn from his mistakes and opened up the competition after Nova was benched for the final three games of the 2013 season. This competition was never really that close as Laviano struggled through the spring. Nova was decent and also had his moments, although Laviano never seemed to really push him for that starting job.

2015 Hayden Rettig vs Chris Laviano ... stay tuned for complete reports and updates starting next Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News