ADVERTISEMENT

Stony Brook University - future Rutgers rival?

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
SBU, located on Long Island, getting $500 million donation.

Long Island, including Brooklyn and Queens, has a lot in common with New Jersey - population in high 7 figures, mix of urban and suburban, wealthy, limited interest in college sports.

SBU is comparable to Rutgers - both AAU universities, similar admissions standards, limited athletic success.

Perhaps SBU decides to go big time in sports, allowing the Seawolves to compete directly against Rutgers on recruiting and on the fields and courts.

Long Island, including Brooklyn and Queens, has a lot in common with New Jersey - population in high 7 figures, mix of urban and suburban, wealthy, limited interest in college sports.

SBU is comparable to Rutgers - both AAU universities, similar admissions standards, limited athletic success.

Perhaps SBU decides to go big time in sports, allowing the Seawolves to compete directly against Rutgers on recruiting and on the fields and courts.
You probably need a break from the message board to match your break from reality.

I could see them moving up to the MAC or Conference USA but that's about it.

Fat DoDo . . .

works both ways you pronounce it, long "O" or short "O"

😜

I’m more concerned about the rumors of UCONN joining the Big 12. Hell, I’m more concerned about Temple (and I’m not concerned about Temple).
Be concerned about Temple along with UConn. In the head-to-head record, Rutgers has a slight edge in football but isn't close in basketball versus either school.

Scarlet Knights fans imagine Penn State as the rival however PSU bests us in b-ball and the football record is embarrassing.

As a Rutgers grad, donor, and Scarlet Knight fan, I will be attending the Rutgers-Temple clash at the stadium in September.

Be concerned about Temple along with UConn. In the head-to-head record, Rutgers has a slight edge in football but isn't close in basketball versus either school.

Scarlet Knights fans imagine Penn State as the rival however PSU bests us in b-ball and the football record is embarrassing.

As a Rutgers grad, donor, and Scarlet Knight fan, I will be attending the Rutgers-Temple clash at the stadium in September.
In what world should Rutgers be concerened about Temple in any way. They are not a candidate to move up to a better conference and don't even have their own Football stadium/facilities. UConn to the Big 12 would make them a regional threat in terms of Football recruiting but Temple is no concern whatsoever

This was not about one game. Longer term if Temple is a football rival then the program has failed and is not worth watching and it doesn’t matter anyway. I don’t think Temple football will ascend from where it is now beyond any one coach’s tenure. We shouldn’t be thinking about Temple in football.

UConn hoops will not meaningfully change its prestige by moving from the Big East to the Big 12. But their football program could and should become on par with Pitt, BC, and Cuse with the move.

I don’t care what our all-time record is vs PSU in hoops anymore than our all-time record in football vs. Colgate or Lehigh. We are marching into a new era of RU hoops, one where PSU needs to improve for us to consider them to be our rival. At least for the moment, they are beneath us and a probable W in any arena.

Fat Koko = Troll.

Don’t feed the smelly troll.

Hilarious that he got a premium membership. Hopefully cancels after free trial is up and this stuff stays on the free board

I have been afraid of being abducted by aliens for years. Thank you. Temple, UCONN and Stony Brook will now replace them. 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

By the way, any relation?

I heard the Middlesex County College Colts are a sleeping giant. Better step up your NIL contributions if you want us to maintain a recruiting edge 😬🙄

PS - SHU has intramural flag football… how can we even compete?

That’s an incredible donation- larger than the entire current endowment, which is $478 million.

There’s a lot of money & people on Long Island.

Population :
New Jersey - 9.67 million
New York City - 8.47 million
Long Island - 7.65 million
Rest of New York - 3.52 million

The SUNY system has a budget that is almost 3x Rutgers’. It’s not unreasonable to wonder whether one of the flagship SUNY schools - Buffalo or Stony Brook might one day compete in material ways for certain programs they choose to focus on.

Call me if they exhume John Chaney, because that is the only way they will be relevant in the future . . .

ANcLqUz.jpg

Reactions: Scarlet83
Population :
Long Island - 7.65 million

The SUNY system has a budget that is almost 3x Rutgers’.

That LI population number is double counting Queens and Brooklyn (Kings) counties, just under 5 million combined, which are included in the 8.5 million NYC number. The two other LI counties, Nassau and Suffolk, are just under 3 million in population combined.

Suffolk (home of SBU) is slightly greater in pop'n than Nassau but not as dense since it's larger in land area and the developed areas drop off the further east/out on the island you go.

As far as SUNY budget, since it has some 10-20x the number of campuses of Rutgers, its budget would be much larger. Aside from CUNY campuses across the 5 boroughs, I don't believe there exist any public colleges across the rest of the state that aren't considered part of SUNY. I think even the various county/community colleges in NY State are classified under the SUNY umbrella so the aggregate budget likely incorporates all of those campuses.

Good for the SeaWolves.

Now for half a B they can finally pay to fix the colors on the logo.

1200px-Stony_Brook_Seawolves_logo.svg.png

The red should be green.

images

Reactions: rucoe89
Aside from CUNY campuses across the 5 boroughs, I don't believe there exist any public colleges across the rest of the state that aren't considered part of SUNY.
Cornell is an Ivy League school with state-subsidized components receiving state funding where students with New York residency pay lower tuition.

The US Military Academy is a public, government-subsidized university.

Cornell and the USMA operate outside of the SUNY bureaucracy.

That LI population number is double counting Queens and Brooklyn (Kings) counties, just under 5 million combined, which are included in the 8.5 million NYC number. The two other LI counties, Nassau and Suffolk, are just under 3 million in population combined.

Suffolk (home of SBU) is slightly greater in pop'n than Nassau but not as dense since it's larger in land area and the developed areas drop off the further east/out on the island you go.

As far as SUNY budget, since it has some 10-20x the number of campuses of Rutgers, its budget would be much larger. Aside from CUNY campuses across the 5 boroughs, I don't believe there exist any public colleges across the rest of the state that aren't considered part of SUNY. I think even the various county/community colleges in NY State are classified under the SUNY umbrella so the aggregate budget likely incorporates all of those campuses.
Yeah, there are over 60 schools in the SUNY system. It's impossible to compares apples-to-apples with Rutgers without being disingenuous. In size (not quality) it would be more like combining the University of California system with the newer Cal State system, and it'd still be double.

Forger Rutgers, I'm hearing Alabama and Georgia are absolutely terrified of an emerging Stony Brook football program. It is only a matter of time before Stony Brook is competing for National Championships on a yearly basis. Everyone in college football knows that Long Island is a hotbed for 4 and 5 star talent and if Stony Brook could get their share of the top players in LI they would be formidable.

Lol -NY is run by lunatics
Gov just announced every NY graduating senior automatically gets admitted to a SUNY/CUNY college (excuse me "university" since five just changed their name).
The new SUNY chancellor came from a Soros group pushing DEI subversion.
Recent CUNY speaker just made national news as a genocidal maniac
I doubt sports will be high on SUNY agenda in any normal sense

Most states have programs like this. Everyone in top 10% of class gets admitted to U of Texas. ASU and U of Arizona admit nearly all residents for undergrad.

In NJ if you graduate a community college you're guaranteed admission to a NJ state college. Doesn't mean RU. Doesn't even mean Rowan lol.

Many CUNY/SUNY are close to autoadmit anyway. It doesn't mean you get into Binghamton.

And LI is largely a dying area. Very few people that grew up there return. The housing costs and taxes make NJ's look low on top of the fact that they, unlike NJ, refuse to build anything new, refuse to develop areas near mass transit, have very few walkable towns, etc.

The ones who stay in the area move to NYC/NJ/CT/Westchester...there's no future on LI unless you inherit property and are a local cop or teacher.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Lol -NY is run by lunatics
Gov just announced every NY graduating senior automatically gets admitted to a SUNY/CUNY college (excuse me "university" since five just changed their name).
The new SUNY chancellor came from a Soros group pushing DEI subversion.
Recent CUNY speaker just made national news as a genocidal maniac
I doubt sports will be high on SUNY agenda in any normal sense

There’s nothing wrong with that. There is a New York public college for everyone.

Reactions: dconifer
Cornell is an Ivy League school with state-subsidized components receiving state funding where students with New York residency pay lower tuition.

The US Military Academy is a public, government-subsidized university.

Cornell and the USMA operate outside of the SUNY bureaucracy.
Fair enough; of course I was assuming many here would understand that West Point and the public units of the faux Ivy were not being referred to in my commentary. The US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point is another.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Fair enough; of course I was assuming many here would understand that West Point and the public units of the faux Ivy were not being referred to in my commentary. The US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point is another.
We did, @RUnTeX. We did..😉

Reactions: MADHAT1
There’s nothing wrong with that. There is a New York public college for everyone.

Not at all.
Lots of people do not belong in college and there have to be standards.
People have to pass tests to get a license - they don't get licenses because "residents."

The Baizuos wrecked the community colleges because they erased standards and made everything about "diversity."
My county of birth used to have a top reputation until it went superficial.
Graduation rate hit 12% and costs for students without resources broke the budgets.
Crime and gangs on campus skyrocketed.
The colleges "brand" got trashed and people stopped wanting to go.
This is a national problem.

They will wreck the 4 yr colleges as well
High schools already watered down standards with watered-up grades and banned honors courses.
The Maoists want to force students to endure indoctrination and of course that drives off sensible students with other options.
NYS is increasingly run by the same people who wrecked Venezuela, Cuba etc.
I was a GA for a Marxist prof and my best friend is now a Marxist prof - I know their playbook and how they roll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT