ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Vacation

Originally posted by newell138:
Everyday is summer vacation here in Ocean City.
agreed.. tons of fun here at the shore.. but a small vaca ain't bad either
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by R1776U:
where ya'll hitting up? for me it's Chincoteague, VA
my girl has been talking up Chincoteague for years now, she's been a few times. They have some sort of festival where wild horses run the beach, supposed to be pretty cool. Enjoy

Just plan to enjoy a hopefully uneventful summer here as it appears I'll be moving out again for 3-4 months come September/October to finish what still needs to be done post Sandy.

Usually go to Maine every year (lived there for a while)....but this year we are going to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Black Hills/Badlands in South Dakota.

Cape May July 4th week and again a week after Labor day. Dont know yet for a week in August as have done most of the east coast so far and a week is not enough time to go west. Then Columbus Day weekend 6 days at the dirt race at the NYS fairgrounds in Syracuse. All camping in the motor home if you call that camping
wink.r191677.gif

My family has been going to Chincoteague Island every summer for 40 years. Except for the mosquitoes, we love that place!

Originally posted by RC1991:
Usually go to Maine every year (lived there for a while)....but this year we are going to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Black Hills/Badlands in South Dakota.
Thinking about going up to Maine in Aug, any recommendations? My kids are 10 and 16 and love historic spots and the outdoors.

Yellowstone is a really cool place to visit.

Originally posted by m1ipabrams:
Thinking about going up to Maine in Aug, any recommendations? My kids are 10 and 16 and love historic spots and the outdoors.

Yellowstone is a really cool place to visit.
I lived in Bar Harbor for 3 years and we have been going back for a while now to visit but also because Acadia National Park is right there. It's really a great place if you all like the outdoors. There are lots of great day hikes in Acadia as well as packed gravel carriage roads that you can walk and bike on. Canoeing and kayaking in the lakes as well as ocean kayaking too. The past couple of years we ventured off Mount Desert Island and took the mail boat to some of the smaller outlying islands (Great and Little Cranberry) as well as bass fishing down the Penobscot River with a Maine Guide which was a blast. You could also hit the part of Acadia on Isle Au Haut - you would have to drive down to Deer Isle to Stonington and take the mail boat out there - there's a small village on part of the Island as well. We rented a house on MDI through Knowles Realty but there are all manner of motels/hotels, B&Bs and campgrounds as well. On the ride up coastal Route 1 at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge is Fort Knox - one of the historical sights I can think of on the drive up. Further up route 1 and a few hours beyond MDI is Campobello International Park which is on the Candian border and where FDR used to vacation. In addition to Acadia/MDI if you want to be even more remote as far as wilderness areas you could opt for the Moosehead Lake region and Baxter State Park. Would be happy to give you more info on Bar Harbor if it ends up fitting into your plans.

You have excellent taste. Maine is freaking awesome, and I still, after 30 years, have fantastic memories of my trip to those areas out west. We hit all three of those spots and it was pretty amazing. Back then, it was my first time away from the East Coast, and I still can't wait to get back to Jackson Hole, the geyser basins, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore ... you are going to have a blast. Enjoy!

VA beach and on the way down we stop in Chincoteague...all good!

Originally posted by BoroKnight:
You have excellent taste. Maine is freaking awesome, and I still, after 30 years, have fantastic memories of my trip to those areas out west. We hit all three of those spots and it was pretty amazing. Back then, it was my first time away from the East Coast, and I still can't wait to get back to Jackson Hole, the geyser basins, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore ... you are going to have a blast. Enjoy!
Thanks! Really looking forward to it....we managed to book Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton and one of the "cabins" in the Canyon section of Yellowstone so will be staying right in the parks. I think it's going to unlike any place I've ever been to prior!

Originally posted by RU-ROCS:
My family has been going to Chincoteague Island every summer for 40 years. Except for the mosquitoes, we love that place!
yup.. the Chincoteague Air Force is BRUTAL
scared0016.r191677.gif

That should be a great trip. Did that as a kid with the family driving back east after visiting relatives in California one year, besides being amazed at the terrain, wildlife and the geysers the thing that sticks out in my is the wild donkey herd that was in the Badlands holding up traffic for about 30 min as they wouldn't move on and were looking for handouts. My 70 yr old grandmother who was born & raised on a farm decided it was time to move them, So she gets out of the car and starts to drive them off the road to the cheers of all... Let us know if they are still around

Switzerland for 5 days. Then a week in Maine at the end of July.

Originally posted by njdirt:
That should be a great trip. Did that as a kid with the family driving back east after visiting relatives in California one year, besides being amazed at the terrain, wildlife and the geysers the thing that sticks out in my is the wild donkey herd that was in the Badlands holding up traffic for about 30 min as they wouldn't move on and were looking for handouts. My 70 yr old grandmother who was born & raised on a farm decided it was time to move them, So she gets out of the car and starts to drive them off the road to the cheers of all... Let us know if they are still around
That's a great story - will definitely be on the lookout for the wild donkeys!

Have gone up to a friend's home situated on a lake 20 minutes inland from Ogunquit, Maine a couple times in the last few years. Both the lake & Ogunquit are really nice, only a little over 5 hours from Central Jersey. Not far from Kennebunkport.
Doing a Disney cruise for spring break to the Western Caribbean. Hope to do Williamsburg & Yellowstone in the next 2-3 years, while my daughter, who's now 8, can enjoy a trip with her Dad.
BTW, curious about how to get those in park accommodations in Yellowstone? Know you have to book far in advance.
As for Chincoteaque, have been there, but when younger, I enjoyed Assateaque Island State Park. It's a campground on the island. Has the wild ponies. Believe it's 1 of the most popular parks in the country. Generally have to book 365 days in advance. State Park is well maintained, better than the National Park. Another BTW, I'm not a camper normally, but this campground is great with their bath houses.
Perhaps my favorite summer trip was a 5 day white water rafting ( not too wild at all) trip out of Moab, Utah. Western River Expeditions runs great trips, including a Grand Canyon trip. SUPER trip for all, especially families. Not cheap.

Wow, Maine seems a popular choice. Heading there myself in June, staying on Sebago Lake. In August going to Ocean City, MD.

A good friend of ours has a cabin on a small island in lower Damariscotta Lake which is not far from Boothbay Harbor.....nothing like spending g time on a lake in Maine and Ogunquit is a nice area! Regarding the Yellowstone in park accommodations you have to book through yellowstonenationalparklodges.com which is managed by the company that handles park concessions. We actually booked in January but ended up calling to get the place we booked becajse online we couldn't find consecutive nights too easily.....in fact a lot were already sold out in January for late August dates....I think ideally you would try to book 12-15 months out if at all possible. There are places outside the park near the surrounding towns but it's amazing how big it is and thought being within the park boundaries might get us to sites easier and also would be more unique.

This post was edited on 3/9 7:39 PM by RC1991

1991, Yellowstone is amazing! Two lesser known suggestions: on the drive from Yellowstone to SD, stop at Devil's Tower in WY. And when in the Badlands , do not miss the Door trail! Easy to walk and so cool. Oh, and one other, if you happen to go through Cody, WY, believe it or not, the Buffalo Bill museum is world class.

This post was edited on 3/9 7:57 PM by Unionst

Outer Banks. I think it's our thirtieth straight year of going there. Just buy the trip insurance if you are going in August. I haven't been evacuated in a long time and I'm overdue. Enjoy. $$$$

Thanks for the suggestions UnionSt - we were planning on stopping at Devil's Tower on the way to SD....relive Close Encounters....but seriously always thought it would be cool to see. Will definitely have to hike the Door Trail and if we pass through Cody will check out the Buffalo Bill museum too! I believe we were going to stop halfway on the ride to SD in Buffalo, WY.

Jerzee - no problem. We are staying in the Western Cabins which is part of the Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone and it was $232 a night. Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton was a little more ($260 I believe). I think the other places within Yellowstone had quite a range of pricing depending om what and where they were. Old Faithful Inn and Yellowstone Hotel were already completely sold out when we were looking expect for a stray weeknight opening here and there. I think the surrounding towns had more options and price ranges but were situated near the park entrance and not in the park itself.

Originally posted by ruready07:

my girl has been talking up Chincoteague for years now, she's been a few times. They have some sort of festival where wild horses run the beach, supposed to be pretty cool. Enjoy
My friend who lives there and build rockets at Wallops, actually leads the pony round-up for the fire dept. They make a ton of $$ from that event. Didn't know pony's had so much sex that they could produce another wave to sell year after year.

When I was 13 years old I spent a summer in S. Dakota as my sister was working as a nurse practitioner and living on Rosebud Indian Reservation. It was very memorable, you will enjoy. We went spelunking in Wind Cave, which was pretty cool and because they trusted my sister allowed us to come to the annual Sundance. We were told they do not normally let outsiders watch any part of it, although we did have to leave when it came to the part where they have to pull themselves free from the pole. Either way it was very intense, it is some beautiful country out there, would love to get back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT