ADVERTISEMENT

Superlative moments of Rutgers Basketball in MSG…..

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Let’s have sone fun here …

I was not born for Bobby Lloyd and the 1967 NIT and a little too young to witness Phil sellers owning the Garden in 1976, but at almost of all of them after that and I have a lot of fun memories of Rutgers basketball in the Garden …a place we need to play games at (yeah I know , don’t give up a big ten home game , I’m with you guys…)

Let’s have For sone pregame fun …here are some Rutgers basketball superlatives catagories at the Garden from this long time RU fan

Most bizarre ending :

#15 Rutgers v the people republic of China …November 1978. Game ends in. …..TIE. China didn’t want to play overtime . So china left the court to a bewildard Rutgers crowd. Hours later , Rutgers accepted its first bowl bid to the 1978 Garden state bowl after beating holy cross

Greatest scoring binge :

Quincy Douby 2006 BET Rutgers v #1 Villanova …27 points in the first half single handly kept Rutgers with a one point deficit over deficit . Still a BET record . It’s was a thing of beauty …

Greatest Dunk

Corey sanders 2018 exclamation point dunk Against Indiana in the 17 point come back win against Indiana in the big ten tourney in 2018

(Honorable mention to Jeff Greer exclamation slam against 23 WVU in the 1999 BET and to James Bailey game winning dunk in the 1978 triple OT win over Ohio state to win the ECAC holiday festival)

Most frustrating loss ….1983 loss to top 10 Louisville …who went in a 9 minute stall at the 13 minute mark up by three to shorten the game ….year before the shot clock hit the mainstream

Best and favorite loss
…...was the 2018 BTN quarterfinal against number 7 Purdue . A day where a top 10 team needed their absolute A game to beat a Rutgers team playing with its third game in three nights . , needling to shoot 53% to hold off RU. A night the scarlet national came out in pretty good force on a really bad weather night ….-anI left the building with a feeling that we finally had the right coach to get this done , the torch was passed by Corey sanders, whose amazing tournmwnt run was a thing of Beauty, to a young frosh named geo baker, who didn’t know better that you were supposed to be a little nervous playing in the garden as a frosh, had 25 points on the big stage in Manhattan ….

Most memorable shot

Geoff Billets runner at the lane at the buzzer against Georgetown in the 1998 BET quarterfinal . An exclamation mark on a game that changed lead five times in the last minute on a Thursday afternoon. …No one wanted to lay a hand on billet , a high 80% free throw shooter As he lowerred his sholder to get around a defende to get to top of the lane and let it rip ….and the roar still resonates …the game was the talk of the Mike and the mad dog for the drive time ….

Michael Jordan was a frosh once …
….And played his first game in MSG….against Rutgers in December 1981. A game that 5-1 Rutgers that already beat top 10 UCLA earlier in the month, and hung with the eventual national chanpiona until it went ice cold in the 2nd half (carbon copy of michgan final four second half) and lost by 17…..

Lastly
Most exciting game …and best win in MSG:

Rutgers 97 Ohio state 96 in triple overtime to win the 1978 ECAC holiday festival ….this one was a barn burner. EC/C holiday festival has duke coming in at number one (with crack assistant coach Bob Wenzel) and My dad did me good as a nine year old kid , taking me first to the night before to see Rutgers smack St Johns ….and then getting tickets for $10 each for a sold out garden from a scalper outside right as St. John’s /Duke tipped off in the consolation. ….and they were in the sixth or seventh row under the basket !!! So, RU scorer twice in the last four seconds to force the sexond OT (abdel anderson with the steal) and saw James Bailey game winning dunk with 15 seconds to go. Lot of names on that OSU team : a young Clark Kellogg, herb Williams and a spectulat kelvin Ramsey…who was great , but a little less great than JB that night …..

Hoping with the emergence of a RU basketball …we play some more memorable games in the Garden against the biggest names in college basketball.

Here’s an idea, let’s create another superlative game on Saturday. Cliff scores 20 , Cam 22 , Palm 3x3, and Wolf plays best game of the year in honor of his grandmother!! RU wins going away.

Most impressive performance by an opponent: Walt Frazier killing us in the second half of the ‘67 Semi of the NIT (yes, in the OLD Garden). That said, Lloyd scored 41 in the game for third place before the championship game, giving him a record 129 in 4 games. I remember seeing Frazier holding up the MVP trophy and thinking “Lloyd’s name should be on that!” I can still feel the disappointment! BUT it was at the end of the first great year of RU B-Ball tradition.

1975 ECAC Tournament.

Rutgers was independent as were most NE teams. The ECAC started 4 regional post season tournaments in 1975 with the winners getting an automatic bid to the NCAA's. I believe it was the year the tourney expanded to or from 32 teams.

Rutgers, St John's, SHU, and St Peters played in the Metro Regional at MSG. RU beat St Peters and the Johnnies beat SHU. In the final RU defeated St Johns 79-77, earning their very first invite to the Big Dance.

The following year Rutgers beat St Johns again in the Final but that was played at Jadwin.

Last edited:
Billet buzzer beater vs GTown at BET will always be a favorite moment of mine !

I jumped on the court behind the basket at the other end after Billet hit the shot as I was so excited and MSG security came after me...lol

Reactions: GORU2014
1975 ECAC Tournament.

Rutgers was independent as were most NE teams. The ECAC started 4 regional post season tournaments in 1975 with the winners getting an automatic bid to the NCAA's. I believe it was the year the tourney expanded to or from 32 teams.

Rutgers, St John's, SHU, and St Peters played in the Metro Regional at MSG. RU beat St Peters and the Johnnies beat SHU. In the final RU defeated St Johns 79-77, earning their very first invite to the Big Dance.

The following year Rutgers beat St Johns again in the Final but that was played at Jadwin.

Yea …this would have made my list as I heard plenty about this game growing up …but it was a little before my time

Rutgers over a ranked Cincinnati team in the ‘76 - ‘77 season. Bailey’s coming out. Score was maybe 89-71?
As a young lad with my dad that was a fun day. ABC boys dominated particularly Bailey. It was a triple header with Iona usf and hall unc Charlotte also going at it. Solid noisy crowd. The seton hall uncc game featured some really good players too including Cedric maxwell. Great memories. I wish they did events like that again.

Edit we used to take the train from metro park. That was fun too as a kid getting on a train full of rowdy rutgers fans.

I broadcasted the 1978 ECAC Holiday Festival Tournament triple OT win over Ohio State for WRSU. It was the most fun I ever had behind the mic.
That game was lost and then we won! In the past year or so someone posted video of Abdel’s steal that shows he stepped out of bounds. If that call was made we lose. So 44 years later Ohio State gets even with us this year.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
As a young lad with my dad that was a fun day. ABC boys dominated particularly Bailey. It was a triple header with Iona usf and hall unc Charlotte also going at it. Solid noisy crowd. The seton hall uncc game featured some really good players too including Cedric maxwell. Great memories. I wish they did events like that again.

Edit we used to take the train from metro park. That was fun too as a kid getting on a train full of rowdy rutgers fans.
Antiher one I heard about , the year before I started to go to games .

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Antiher one I heard about , the year before I started to go to games .
Probably the last time I rooted for the hall. Haha. Generally I would say the blue and red were United that day. Would be neat to have a double header like that again. Triple header actually (that will never happen)

Let’s have sone fun here …

I was not born for Bobby Lloyd and the 1967 NIT and a little too young to witness Phil sellers owning the Garden in 1976, but at almost of all of them after that and I have a lot of fun memories of Rutgers basketball in the Garden …a place we need to play games at (yeah I know , don’t give up a big ten home game , I’m with you guys…)

Let’s have For sone pregame fun …here are some Rutgers basketball superlatives catagories at the Garden from this long time RU fan

Most bizarre ending :

#15 Rutgers v the people republic of China …November 1978. Game ends in. …..TIE. China didn’t want to play overtime . So china left the court to a bewildard Rutgers crowd. Hours later , Rutgers accepted its first bowl bid to the 1978 Garden state bowl after beating holy cross

Greatest scoring binge :

Quincy Douby 2006 BET Rutgers v #1 Villanova …27 points in the first half single handly kept Rutgers with a one point deficit over deficit . Still a BET record . It’s was a thing of beauty …

Greatest Dunk

Corey sanders 2018 exclamation point dunk Against Indiana in the 17 point come back win against Indiana in the big ten tourney in 2018

(Honorable mention to Jeff Greer exclamation slam against 23 WVU in the 1999 BET and to James Bailey game winning dunk in the 1978 triple OT win over Ohio state to win the ECAC holiday festival)

Most frustrating loss ….1983 loss to top 10 Louisville …who went in a 9 minute stall at the 13 minute mark up by three to shorten the game ….year before the shot clock hit the mainstream

Best and favorite loss
…...was the 2018 BTN quarterfinal against number 7 Purdue . A day where a top 10 team needed their absolute A game to beat a Rutgers team playing with its third game in three nights . , needling to shoot 53% to hold off RU. A night the scarlet national came out in pretty good force on a really bad weather night ….-anI left the building with a feeling that we finally had the right coach to get this done , the torch was passed by Corey sanders, whose amazing tournmwnt run was a thing of Beauty, to a young frosh named geo baker, who didn’t know better that you were supposed to be a little nervous playing in the garden as a frosh, had 25 points on the big stage in Manhattan ….

Most memorable shot

Geoff Billets runner at the lane at the buzzer against Georgetown in the 1998 BET quarterfinal . An exclamation mark on a game that changed lead five times in the last minute on a Thursday afternoon. …No one wanted to lay a hand on billet , a high 80% free throw shooter As he lowerred his sholder to get around a defende to get to top of the lane and let it rip ….and the roar still resonates …the game was the talk of the Mike and the mad dog for the drive time ….

Michael Jordan was a frosh once …
….And played his first game in MSG….against Rutgers in December 1981. A game that 5-1 Rutgers that already beat top 10 UCLA earlier in the month, and hung with the eventual national chanpiona until it went ice cold in the 2nd half (carbon copy of michgan final four second half) and lost by 17…..

Lastly
Most exciting game …and best win in MSG:

Rutgers 97 Ohio state 96 in triple overtime to win the 1978 ECAC holiday festival ….this one was a barn burner. EC/C holiday festival has duke coming in at number one (with crack assistant coach Bob Wenzel) and My dad did me good as a nine year old kid , taking me first to the night before to see Rutgers smack St Johns ….and then getting tickets for $10 each for a sold out garden from a scalper outside right as St. John’s /Duke tipped off in the consolation. ….and they were in the sixth or seventh row under the basket !!! So, RU scorer twice in the last four seconds to force the sexond OT (abdel anderson with the steal) and saw James Bailey game winning dunk with 15 seconds to go. Lot of names on that OSU team : a young Clark Kellogg, herb Williams and a spectulat kelvin Ramsey…who was great , but a little less great than JB that night …..

Hoping with the emergence of a RU basketball …we play some more memorable games in the Garden against the biggest names in college basketball.
the triple OT game was the best basketball and of course Rutgers game ever we were actually down by 6 with 15 seconds to go; I believe James Bailey and both Herb Williams scored in the 30's that night; I found my ticket stub from that game when I was going through some things during Covid; Seat Loge 57A Row A Seat 3 can't quite remember exactly where that was in the old seating at the Garden!!

1975 ECAC Tournament.

1976 was DEFINITELY at MSG

Reactions: Scarlet Shack

My first-ever Rutgers game I saw in person. Will never forget it.

I thought so too but this says it was at Jadwin

It was definitely MSG, but I think our previous ECAC tournament game vs. LIU was at Jadwin. That may have caused the mix-up. My older sister who was at Douglas at the time made up a scrap book of the season's newspaper clippings. There was a really cool back cover of the NY Daily News with Phil going up for a shot and it was at MSG. I have to dig it out.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
A good RU win in December 1990 after a disappointing loss to Maryland in the 1990 ECAC holiday festival
Went in for both games as had great baseline seats. We good naturally mocked Art Perry for going from RU to Maryland. Post game he came out and talked to us. Such a great guy. Liked that he showed up at RAC last week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT