ADVERTISEMENT

Team is much better this year

He’s not Mike Vick.
No, but as several of us have discussed in other threads, we're not even trying the RPO fake of the RB between the tackles, with Gavin pulling the ball out and going around end when he sees the end crashing inside. It was there a lot against NW and somewhat against Temple, whose ends appeared to stay home more and it's possible we just haven't shown it yet. On some of these plays it looks like he could easily run for 10-15 yards, especially if it's to the side with a single WR and that WR can get a good block.

Reactions: sct1111 and Kbee3
No, but as several of us have discussed in other threads, we're not even trying the RPO fake of the RB between the tackles, with Gavin pulling the ball out and going around end when he sees the end crashing inside. It was there a lot against NW and somewhat against Temple, whose ends appeared to stay home more and it's possible we just haven't shown it yet. On some of these plays it looks like he could easily run for 10-15 yards, especially if it's to the side with a single WR and that WR can get a good block.
Yes. Even Vedral, certainly not Vick either, made a decent amount of these reads and was able to run around the DE. Wimsatt, might not be quick be he runs like a deer when you give him space. He should be out running DEs more.

Reactions: RU848789
The team is improved for sure, and in many ways. Good to see.

However, we still don’t yet know if we’ve improved enough to compete well with the mid-to-high level B1G teams. I’m not setting any season result expectations until I see how we play against both VT and UM.

The thing I like best about what I’ve seen is the team has been dominant in most of the 8 quarters played so far. OTOH, the most worrying sign is that the dominance wasn’t reflected in the scores until late in the games, especially against Temple.

We are wearing down opposing D’s, which is great. But we won’t be wearing down UM, OSU, or many other conference opponents. To me, that says we need improvement in offensive consistency and efficiency.

Maybe the best news is the team is scoring, and moving the ball pretty well in general, and it‘s still very early days with a new OC. Point being that the O is probably still in the rapid improvement curve period that is typical with a new OC.

I thought I saw Langan do lots of blocking...including on some pass plays.
Makes sense. Receivers seem to have a lot of space to operate. And it looks like through clever play design the RB’s are very dangerous coming out of the backfield receiving the ball. Two big plays were throws to RB’s. I’m sure they have some wrinkles for throws to TE’s they haven’t even used yet due to production from the “speed” people.

The team is improved for sure, and in many ways. Good to see.

However, we still don’t yet know if we’ve improved enough to compete well with the mid-to-high level B1G teams. I’m not setting any season result expectations until I see how we play against both VT and UM.

The thing I like best about what I’ve seen is the team has been dominant in most of the 8 quarters played so far. OTOH, the most worrying sign is that the dominance wasn’t reflected in the scores until late in the games, especially against Temple.

We are wearing down opposing D’s, which is great. But we won’t be wearing down UM, OSU, or many other conference opponents. To me, that says we need improvement in offensive consistency and efficiency.

Maybe the best news is the team is scoring, and moving the ball pretty well in general, and it‘s still very early days with a new OC. Point being that the O is probably still in the rapid improvement curve period that is typical with a new OC.
I never expected this year to run down UM / OSU or even PSU. Would like to not get blown out though and score some points. I do want/ would like us to win games against VT MSU and the rest of the middle of the B1G

So the DE for temple was flat footed up field a bit, this generally is a give call in most schemes.

I still have a couple of complaints about the offense.. though it is remarkably better.

1) Why didn't we use more deception with Wimsatt runs? Consider the 4th quarter.. after Monangai's drive and TD.. we end up back in the red zone and Wimsat just follows RB into the middle of the line. Wouldn't you think a fake to Monangai would bring everyone to stop him while Wimsatt could attack an edge? I don't understand why we seem to avoid deceiving anyone on Wimsatt runs. Still have not seen a true RPO or option with him.

2) While that pass to Brown was close and I'd love to see more of that, why haven't we seen a screen pass? It has probably been over a decade since we have successfully run a screen pass. That may be an exaggeration but not much of one. The screen pass is a way you can slow down rushes which gets the QB time in other situations... time to hit longer passes and longer pass routes.

Look at that.. only 2 complaints.. bonus complaint.. TE seam routes anyone? Keep safeties more honest and away from run support?

Happy with our improved offense and I Agree with both of your points. The first thought I have to think he will start keeping some of those to the RB and running OUTSIDE because it IS there!!!!!! Have to think we haven’t needed it so not doing it YET. At least that’s been my hope !

Reactions: motorb54
I still have a couple of complaints about the offense.. though it is remarkably better.

1) Why didn't we use more deception with Wimsatt runs? Consider the 4th quarter.. after Monangai's drive and TD.. we end up back in the red zone and Wimsat just follows RB into the middle of the line. Wouldn't you think a fake to Monangai would bring everyone to stop him while Wimsatt could attack an edge? I don't understand why we seem to avoid deceiving anyone on Wimsatt runs. Still have not seen a true RPO or option with him.

2) While that pass to Brown was close and I'd love to see more of that, why haven't we seen a screen pass? It has probably been over a decade since we have successfully run a screen pass. That may be an exaggeration but not much of one. The screen pass is a way you can slow down rushes which gets the QB time in other situations... time to hit longer passes and longer pass routes.

Look at that.. only 2 complaints.. bonus complaint.. TE seam routes anyone? Keep safeties more honest and away from run support?
Those are two of my most common complaints - well said.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers

Very much agree about the screen passes. I can only recall one attempted screen pass last season, which failed miserably IIRC.

While there’s no way to be sure about this, I suspect that the play-calling has been intentionally kept pretty basic so far and that we’ll see start seeing more deception against UM. Maybe against VT. But I’d bet the plan is to hold as much as possible behind the curtain for as long as possible.

We can be certain the level of defensive play will be much, much higher as we get to UM. I doubt the plan will be to try to either overpower or out-execute them. I think the plan will be to try to run a lot of stuff we haven’t shown so far this season because surprise is about the only way we can win.

I‘d guess TEs and RBs will be more involved in the passing game starting with UM.

In the meantime if we can keeping winning games by just out-executing teams while playing very simply on O, then why change a thing? Simple is always better, long as it works well enough to win, because there’s less stuff to go wrong and blow up plays.

We havent seen all of the offense yet. Schiano won the two games and both blowouts, no reason to open up the playbook up 24-0. Only when Temple shoeed us 13-7 we broke out the wheel route that scored our first TD and used it again to put the game away.

24-7
36-7
2-0 (1-0)

Every kickoff out the endzone.
51 yard FG, 42 yard FG.
Can’t complain about this.

Reactions: Rokodesh
We havent seen all of the offense yet. Schiano won the two games and both blowouts, no reason to open up the playbook up 24-0. Only when Temple shoeed us 13-7 we broke out the wheel route that scored our first TD and used it again to put the game away.

24-7
36-7
2-0 (1-0)

Every kickoff out the endzone.
51 yard FG, 42 yard FG.
Can’t complain about this.
The kicking game in all 3 phases is very good and there is no reason that it shouldn’t be a strength (double negative) regardless of the competition.

In the Big East we would have probably been an 8 win team with this team. I think we get 5 or 6 wins this year.
Are you talking Big East or current AAC? With the Temple 2023 schedule- very easily a 8-10 win team.
Old BE would have been tougher as that conference, while not a Conf with very top level- was tough all up and down almost every team each year.

Are you talking Big East or current AAC? With the Temple 2023 schedule- very easily a 8-10 win team.
Old BE would have been tougher as that conference, while not a Conf with very top level- was tough all up and down almost every team each year.
Take a crack at the 2001 schedule:

Buffalo (3-8 that year).
Miami
Va Tech
UConn
Syracuse
Temple
Navy (0-10 that year)
WVU
Pitt
BC
Cal (1-10 that year)

-------------
Final Standings and rankings:

Team W L W L
No. 1 Miami (FL) $# 70 120
No. 14 Syracuse 61 103
No. 18 Virginia Tech 43 84
No. 21 Boston College 43 84
Pittsburgh 43 75
Temple 25 47
West Virginia 16 38
Rutgers 07 29

Reactions: thegock

In my opinion, every Schiano team we’ve had so far (except maybe last year’s due to injury to our top 2 QBs, best two RBs and our best wide out) could’ve been 8-5 teams in the old BE.

Folks forget that we historically schedule soft non-conference and played 4 OOC games back then. Getting to 7-5 if you win those 4 meant going 3-5 which isn’t that hard when WVU is the best team you have to play. 7-5 teams in the old BE typically played weak Gr5 teams in bowls so picking up the 8th win wouldn’t have been that hard.

As Plum said though in another string - We don’t play in that conference anymore so Schiano has to do more now.

Take a crack at the 2001 schedule:

Buffalo (3-8 that year).
Miami
Va Tech
UConn
Syracuse
Temple
Navy (0-10 that year)
WVU
Pitt
BC
Cal (1-10 that year)

-------------
Final Standings and rankings:

TeamWLWL
No. 1 Miami (FL) $#70120
No. 14 Syracuse61103
No. 18 Virginia Tech4384
No. 21 Boston College4384
Pittsburgh4375
Temple2547
West Virginia1638
Rutgers0729

I was focusing more recent. How would this team do against the 2011 schedule?

That was in reply to @yesrutgers01 to @Blitz8RUCrazy , who said old Big East
On that schedule, I see 7-8 wins as doable. I feel the same way this year. I may be more or less optimistic after Saturday depending on the result. Either way, the trajectory of the program looks good.

Ah I guess if you go with the original BE.

I was more thinking in terms of say 2006. We actually played 5 nonconference games back then and only 7 conference games. I had forgotten that. There’s no way this team wouldn’t get 8 wins against the 2006 schedule.

Reactions: thegock
“Stinks” - maybe a bit harsh.

But we aren’t “mediocre” - to me that means our offense is middle-of-the-road or average. “Below average” is probably accurate. But there are certainly some songs of improvement (we’re our offense was downright PUTRID last year)
Below average
The middle of the game was disappointing as far as offense goes

Some still have concerns even though there is improvement

Reactions: redking
Great writeup by the APP/NorthJersey/MyCentralJersey/Gannett Rutgers beat writer Chris Iseman!

"Have the games been perfect? No. Are there areas that Rutgers still needs to improve in? Absolutely.

But the Scarlet Knights have done exactly what they’re supposed to do so far, which is beating two opponents they should be beating."

"Wimsatt has looked poised, he’s taken charge of the offense. He’s delivered strong, accurate throws. And perhaps most importantly, he hasn’t turned the ball over.

His 61-yard pass to JaQuae Jackson Saturday night was a beautiful throw that was right on point – the kind of throw Scarlet Knights fans have been wanting to see."

A lot more good stuff in the article.

And something else that shouldn’t be overlooked is his running ability.

Reactions: Kbee3
Happy with our improved offense and I Agree with both of your points. The first thought I have to think he will start keeping some of those to the RB and running OUTSIDE because it IS there!!!!!! Have to think we haven’t needed it so not doing it YET. At least that’s been my hope !
I forgot the Benjamin TD was also a swing pass perfectly executed... and not hitting RBs on passed with forward momentum was one of my pet peeves last year (and previous years).

Other teams get the downfield blocking going then throw a pass like that around the LOS level (sometimes over and never seems to get called). This is probably the play that has changed football the most since the invention of the forward pass. Our bubble screens would have the target standing still or even moving backwards before he caught it.. while the successful offenses find a way to get good blocks (often holds) downfield and teh pass target gets to them very fast because of the sideways or forward motion used as he gets the ball.

Both the Benjamin and Brown (sounds like a law firm) catches were so well done in that regard, but both relied on defenders not shadowing them. But those zones were cleared out too. So well done. I wonder how often we can throw those before it gets shut down. And if it does get shut down.. what does that open up? And should we be using it to open something else up or should we keep it as more fo a surprise.. calling other plays that open that up?

Still.. would love to see a regular screen or two but given we had 2 big plays on that RB pass it is much better than previous years.

Reactions: ScarletDave
The middle of the game was disappointing as far as offense goes

Some still have concerns even though there is improvement

When you look back on it now, it wasn’t as bad as it seemed at the time. We moved the ball well in the second quarter even though we didn’t punch the ball in on the 2 FG drives. We also moved the ball on the last possession before the half but just ran out of time.

The stalled offense was really just the 3rd quarter. But then when you you at that closer - it wasn’t even as bad as it seemed at the time. Going 3 and out with a 13 point lead starting at our own 3 doesn’t concern me. I don’t care who the opponent is - it’s ok to end up punting it away there.

So then there were 2 other drives that stalled. It was really two breakdowns by the line. The pass protection breakdown resulting in the sack (opening drive Q3), and the run protection breakdown resulting in a loss of 4 yards on a KM carry. It wasn’t like we weren’t otherwise moving the ball on those drives.

Ah I guess if you go with the original BE.

I was more thinking in terms of say 2006. We actually played 5 nonconference games back then and only 7 conference games. I had forgotten that. There’s no way this team wouldn’t get 8 wins against the 2006 schedule.
So- if I were to look at some of those years- easier way to put it would be how we think this current team would do against those Rutgers teams.
2005- that would be curious as we may be getting to that point. But the 05-09 OL's would do well against our DL because the OT's were all pretty much NFL players.
2006 team would crush this team.
2007 team- it could have lost to this team close or would have crushed this current team.
2008- if early season- could have been similar to the UConn game- late season- that team could have had a shot against OSU/PSU/Mich
2009 - similar to 2007. Tossup but the ceiling on both the 07/09 teams was higher than this current team.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
So- if I were to look at some of those years- easier way to put it would be how we think this current team would do against those Rutgers teams.
2005- that would be curious as we may be getting to that point. But the 05-09 OL's would do well against our DL because the OT's were all pretty much NFL players.
2006 team would crush this team.
2007 team- it could have lost to this team close or would have crushed this current team.
2008- if early season- could have been similar to the UConn game- late season- that team could have had a shot against OSU/PSU/Mich
2009 - similar to 2007. Tossup but the ceiling on both the 07/09 teams was higher than this current team.

Not really an easier way to look at in context of the OP. The comment was about whether this team could get 8 wins off a BE schedule.

I think 8-5 would be a disappointment against the 2006 schedule based on what we’ve seen so far. Those UNC and Illini teams stunk (2-3 win teams). Howard and Ohio would be wins. Navy on the road would probably be a win too. That team won 9 games against a very soft schedule. That would be 5 likely wins to start. There were at least 3 teams comparable to NW in the BE pack that year. 3-4 would certainly be attainable going into a bowl game. 4-3 not impossible.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Not really an easier way to look at in context of the OP. The comment was about whether this team could get 8 wins off a BE schedule.

I think 8-5 would be a disappointment against the 2006 schedule based on what we’ve seen so far. Those UNC and Illini teams stunk (2-3 win teams). Howard and Ohio would be wins. Navy on the road would probably be a win too. That team won 9 games against a very soft schedule. That would be 5 likely wins to start. There were at least 3 teams comparable to NW in the BE pack that year. 3-4 would certainly be attainable going into a bowl game. 4-3 not impossible.
All depends on the season. In my opinion just based off the first 2 games...The 2006 opponents in first 3 are similar to this year's first 3. As I then go through that schedule- I have this team having a chance to be a 7-8 win team with that schedule. UConn and Cuse being the only sure in conference wins

All depends on the season. In my opinion just based off the first 2 games...The 2006 opponents in first 3 are similar to this year's first 3. As I then go through that schedule- I have this team having a chance to be a 7-8 win team with that schedule. UConn and Cuse being the only sure in conference wins

Ok - but we played 5 non-conference games. 4 of those were against awful teams and Navy wasn’t all that good either. We’d be favored in all 5, UConn and Cuse for sure, and likely at home against Pitt. The projection would probably be 8 wins before a bowl game.

Ok - but we played 5 non-conference games. 4 of those were against awful teams and Navy wasn’t all that good either. We’d be favored in all 5, UConn and Cuse for sure, and likely at home against Pitt. The projection would probably be 8 wins before a bowl game.
Ahhhh- lest we forget that GW ALWAYS has a WTF game..,
In all seriousness, I don’t disagree and hope the team still has us feeling this way on the way to 6-7 wins this year…

Reactions: Purple-Ed
Jackson is such a pleasant surprise coming from D2. He's the type of WR that Michigan State has 3-4 of, every season. I really want to see Brantley but who knows if he will get to play this season. Also excited for the Freshman WR and the big TE transfer from Maine.

Gavin is so much more poised and doesn't try to force into coverage as he did last year. I can't wait to see them against VT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT