ADVERTISEMENT

The MSG effect on RU brand

I think you have the same problem a lot of people do, you think conference titles mean something. They don’t. All the big time programs, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc, don’t care at all about conference championships, the care about one thing, getting ready for March Madness. When people talk about Tom Izzo, no one mentions how many Big 10 championships or Big 10 Tournaments he has won. He resume is one line, Tom Izzo has won a National Championship. Playing at MSG will do more to get our team ready to play in a big time environment than 1000 home games. As you saw yesterday, both teams played with jitters early in the game and couldn’t hit the side of barn. If you can step onto the court at an 18,000 seat arena for a big time event ready to play, you will have a huge advantage in March.
You have to establish a winning program first. So while I agree that the experience of playing in a big time neutral atmosphere is helpful come tournament time, you can't compare the goals of the blue bloods to those of Rutgers. We need Big Ten titles to legitimize our program nationally. A bunch of Round of 32 appearances just puts us in with 50 other middling programs.

I See people focusing on losing a home game what if we guaranteed every other at MSG is an away game? In those years we would gain an extra home game creating an advantage for us.

Also what if the BIG paid each team $800K to play the game there?

Someone did an analysis using LinkedIn data which is from 5 years ago of the number of big10 alumni in the New York metro. Rutgers at 154k. Next closest was Penn state around 40k and Michigan around 25k. Some really weak numbers for certain schools like 1k. All big schools not named Rutgers in total at 166k.

We own the New York area.

Face it, If we lost this game, as even Izzo mentioned, we'd be! " cutting our wrists ".

Reactions: bac2therac
Someone did an analysis using LinkedIn data which is from 5 years ago of the number of big10 alumni in the New York metro. Rutgers at 154k. Next closest was Penn state around 40k and Michigan around 25k. Some really weak numbers for certain schools like 1k. All big schools not named Rutgers in total at 166k.

We own the New York area.
That’s actually pretty crazy . What’s the biggest non big ten schools presence like ?

If we ever get to a Michigan State type level, I wouldn’t a fan of playing conference home games there

For now it’s fine as we’re building our brand and we need all the exposure we can get

Now conference road games / big name OOC opponents… absolutely

I’d prefer home and homes w the Kansas / UNC / Dukes of the world… but honestly, they have nothing to gain by granting us that wish and coming to play at the rac

The didn't want us before - they will want us now

Yesterday has to be the most impressive turnout of one group of fans (including St Johns) in recent memory at MSG - it wont be the last visit
Duke brings the most the MSG, even against St John's in not close. And when they played at the meadowlands, forget it

If you play at MSG, you keep out the former schools we used to play, that also can or will benefit from playing there vs RU.

No to St John's....

No to Syracuse.....

No to UConn......

No to Villanova.....

Those teams don't need the added exposure of MSG like RU does.

I would be OK with playing a UVA, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, Providence.....

That 2nd batch of schools won't interfere with the growth and stature of RU and our brand with MSG being built up.

If you play at MSG, you keep out the former schools we used to play, that also can or will benefit from playing there vs RU.

No to St John's....

No to Syracuse.....

No to UConn......

No to Villanova.....

I would be OK with playing a UVA, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, Providence.....

That 2nd batch of schools won't interfere with the growth and stature of RU and our brand with MSG being built up.
Would you say no to Texas and west coast powers, UCLA, USC or Arizona?

It is now becoming obvious that playing games at MSG and having our fans show up is creating a national brand for RU.

The big ten network STILL talks about the little run Rutgers made in the garden during the big ten tournament. And how our fans turned up for that.

NOW you have every single news outlet undeniably admitting that Rutgers takes over NYC on Sat against a national brand of MSU.

Those early season tournaments will remember this showing. And I believe we’ll be rewarded for it.

The big ten will remember that RU delivers the nyc market as they had always hoped.

Most importantly- the Rutgers program and fanbase is earning itself a national reputation. And playing a game at MSG just got many more eyeballs on the product that so many have already seen.

Great outcome. Find a way to play at MSG once a year. Neutral court of course.
Careful, the Sorrycuse faithful tried to mock us about the game on Saturday. They said we didn't take over MSG or NYC. That is reserved for them. They feel if Pike goes to SU, it would be a step up in money and prestige. The lack of respect goes as far as the thinking SU should go after Pike once Boeheim retires. 🤣 🤣 🤣

No to St John's....

No to Syracuse.....

No to UConn......

No to Villanova.....

I agree. While I like the UConn idea, why give them a piece of NY?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT