ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-MARYLAND PREDICTION THREAD

I also like the Terps here. They need this win to stay within striking distance of the bubble, and I think the crowd will by hyped up. But if their players think they can sleepwalk through this, RU can win.

For those of you picking RU in the mid/low 50s, would you have picked mid/low 40s if JW wasn’t back in the lineup? That seems low.

61-53 Twerps, it'll be like 20-9 with three minutes left in the first half

We are 4-3 vs MD last 7, 2-2 Home, 2-1 Road
22-23 Xxxxxxxxxx, vs MD 64-50
21-22 @ MD 70-59, vs MD 60-68
20-21 @ MD 74-60, vs MD 59-68
19-20 @ MD 51-56, vs MD 78-67

We have a better chance of winning at MD than home. We stay around that 128/129 total.

Rutgers 67
Maryland 62

Reactions: Scarlet83
When Willard was hired by Maryland I said they’d never win a game at the RAC.

With that said, this game is not at the RAC.

Maryland rolls

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
General question for anyone with the answer: Has RU won consecutive B10 road games since joining the conference?

Reactions: Local Shill
Can there be a home game in between?

Last season we won at Wisconsin on 2/18, then lost at home, and then won at Penn St on 2/26. We also won at Purdue on 1/2, then split two games at home, then won at Northwestern on 1/11.

This is the perfect matchup to employ my patented fouling strategy (think Moneyball, but strategically using fouls instead playing guys who walk a lot).

Try to use most of our non-shooting fouls per half on fouling Jahmir Young before the shot (go for a steal each time). This gets the ball out of his hands, at least temporarily. Then, when we get to 7 fouls, only foul Reese (59% on FTs) or Harris-Smith (61%), but not in the act of shooting.

As a volume shooter (15 shots per game), Young will get frustrated having the ball taken out of his hands. We should avoid fouling Jahmir on the shot or once we get to 7 fouls because he’s automatic from the line (90%).

If Pike follows this strategy, or if it somehow happens organically without forcing it, our odds of winning go way up, and RU will win, 63-62.

Since no coach will ever purposely employ my strategy (much like in Moneyball when initially only one team recognized the genius in using unorthodox but statistically valid methods), then the only way to beat MD is for RU to outshoot them, which is unlikely, so MD wins, 67-59.

Glad I got that off my chest 😎

Reactions: zappaa
So he’s another whiff you think? Seemed pretty solid in his debut against a Big 10 road opponent.
I think he's good. I think people underestimate how good you need to be to improve a team by 10 points per game. If we improved by 10 points per game we would move from our current ranking of #100 on Kenpom to #16, right between Duke and Baylor. That's quite the impact from one player.

This is the perfect matchup to employ my patented fouling strategy (think Moneyball, but strategically using fouls instead playing guys who walk a lot).

Try to use most of our non-shooting fouls per half on fouling Jahmir Young before the shot (go for a steal each time). This gets the ball out of his hands, at least temporarily. Then, when we get to 7 fouls, only foul Reese (59% on FTs) or Harris-Smith (61%), but not in the act of shooting.

As a volume shooter (15 shots per game), Young will get frustrated having the ball taken out of his hands. We should avoid fouling Jahmir on the shot or once we get to 7 fouls because he’s automatic from the line (90%).

If Pike follows this strategy, or if it somehow happens organically without forcing it, our odds of winning go way up, and RU will win, 63-62.

Since no coach will ever purposely employ my strategy (much like in Moneyball when initially only one team recognized the genius in using unorthodox but statistically valid methods), then the only way to beat MD is for RU to outshoot them, which is unlikely, so MD wins, 67-59.

Glad I got that off my chest 😎
I like last week's 3 point shooting ideas better

I think he's good. I think people underestimate how good you need to be to improve a team by 10 points per game. If we improved by 10 points per game we would move from our current ranking of #100 on Kenpom to #16, right between Duke and Baylor. That's quite the impact from one player.
Fair point. I think he could be worth a 10 point overall swing per game though through better D, smarter Offensive decisions/shot selection, and a better shooting percentage. We’ll see.

fouls mean FTs and FTS mean over 1.00 points per possession
The first 6 fouls, if on the floor, are non-shooting, each half. So 6 possessions per half you’re causing the opponent to restart their offense with 20 seconds on the shot clock while taking the ball out of the best player’s hands each time (if done correctly).

Also, once you get to 7 fouls I’m not suggesting we foul Reese and Harris intentionally, just don’t let them beat you with easy looks inside without aggressively going for the ball.

And, Young scores 21 points on 15 shots per game (1.4) versus a 60% FT shooter that is shooting either 1 and 1 or a 2-shot foul (less than 1.2).

Lastly, you have to account for some steals when playing that aggressively.

Last edited:
Can there be a home game in between?

Last season we won at Wisconsin on 2/18, then lost at home, and then won at Penn St on 2/26. We also won at Purdue on 1/2, then split two games at home, then won at Northwestern on 1/11.
I was thinking 2 consecutive

Doesn't look like it (I looked back through 2019 but I assume we didn't before then given we barely won any games at all). But to be fair we only get a couple chances per season to do it.

This is a pretty even matchup style-wise, two good defenses and two poor offenses. Like Rutgers, Maryland is dreadful on 3-pointers (29% overall), and two of their starters are at 16%. The strategy here is to contain Young, defend Scott and Reese, and sag off of Geronimo and Harris-Smith and make them beat you. Easier said than done, of course.

I just can't see Rutgers winning on the road against a really, really good defense that only gives up 63 ppg (tops in the Big Ten). But this will be a rock fight between two very good defenses.

Maryland 62
Rutgers 56

Reactions: BillyC80
Quick turnaround, on the road again ..

Maryland 61
Rutgers 50

The first 6 fouls, if on the floor, are non-shooting, each half. So 6 possessions per half you’re causing the opponent to restart their offense with 20 seconds on the shot clock while taking the ball out of the best player’s hands each time (if done correctly).

Also, once you get to 7 fouls I’m not suggesting we foul Reese and Harris intentionally, just don’t let them beat you with easy looks inside without aggressively going for the ball.

And, Young scores 21 points on 15 shots per game (1.4) versus a 60% FT shooter that is shooting either 1 and 1 or a 2-shot foul (less than 1.2).

Lastly, you have to account for some steals when playing that aggressively.
fouls happen...being in the bonus is bad....

Reactions: Scangg
I’ll leave it at this: If Reese and Harris (combined) have more FT attempts than Young, and if Young gets 12 or fewer shots from the field, RU will win.
Maybe I am being shortsighted. I am not worried about our opponent's offense or offensive pieces. Our offense is what gets my attention and focus. If we do get hurt on D it is usually the 3rd or 4th option that hurts us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT