ADVERTISEMENT

The Rutgers Boardwalk

onesimus

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2007
Unfortunately (when it comes to certain things like watching Rutgers) I moved to Switzerland close to a decade ago and haven't been able to attend too many Rutgers games.

I was listening to a Podcast by some of Virginia Tech guys and they were all sharing glowing reviews about the Rutgers Boardwalk and how it's the perfect balance between "Let's take the kids there and I want to go there to crush a few beers". Likewise they were generally positive about the gameday experience (they loved the DJ, the tailgate lots, the atmosphere, etc) with the only complaints being the incessant horn blowing on the speakers.

Sons of Saturday Podcast - Rutgers Review

Kudos to Rutgers for coming up with an idea that is "uniquely" New Jersey/Rutgers.

Are there any Vlogs or Pictures other than what the Official Rutgers media channels have shared?

I haven't seen much besides what you already mentioned. I don't know how much it costs but the whole boardwalk concept seems to have been a very successful undertaking. The only negative is that with food trucks lining the perimeter of the yellow lot, their gas powered generators are loud and smelly. So what used to be the best spots in the yellow lot along the road are now the worst. But this is a minor complaint. Overall, it's a great thing and reflects very well on RU.

It's a great idea I just wish Rutgers didn't INSIST on funneling everyone through it. Have another route or two available to get from the lots to the stadium if you simply have no time and/or interest in going through the boardwalk.

It's a great idea I just wish Rutgers didn't INSIST on funneling everyone through it. Have another route or two available to get from the lots to the stadium if you simply have no time and/or interest in going through the boardwalk.
But there are…depending on where you’re parked, just walk down the west side of the academic support building/Yurczak.

Let's see: '

- Scarlet, Green, White, Yellow and Brown DO NOT get "funneled' through it'
- student busses DO NOT "get funneled" through it
- River Road, Greek Church, etc. DO NOT "get funneled" through it
- Livingston Shuttles DO NOT "get funneled" through it (right?)

...so let's not get too crazy here. Plus...where else would you suggest the other lots get "funneled through?

Last edited:
My kids love it. Just wish there were better network signal out there - we were trying to meet up with people but couldn't because no calls or texts would go through.

Unfortunately (when it comes to certain things like watching Rutgers) I moved to Switzerland close to a decade ago and haven't been able to attend too many Rutgers games.

I was listening to a Podcast by some of Virginia Tech guys and they were all sharing glowing reviews about the Rutgers Boardwalk and how it's the perfect balance between "Let's take the kids there and I want to go there to crush a few beers". Likewise they were generally positive about the gameday experience (they loved the DJ, the tailgate lots, the atmosphere, etc) with the only complaints being the incessant horn blowing on the speakers.

Sons of Saturday Podcast - Rutgers Review

Kudos to Rutgers for coming up with an idea that is "uniquely" New Jersey/Rutgers.

Are there any Vlogs or Pictures other than what the Official Rutgers media channels have shared?
Best addition to RU pre-game ever!

One of my partners took his family, including two grade school girls last year. They had an absolutely fantastic time.

For the Virginia Tech game, a friend took his daughter, son in law, and 3 year old granddaughter. They raved about how much fun it was. So much so, my friend texted me a picture of his granddaughter in a RU cheering outfit that was purchased after the Va Tech game. Making fans for life early on!!! Go RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My kids love it. Just wish there were better network signal out there - we were trying to meet up with people but couldn't because no calls or texts would go through.
Who is your cell provider? I have Verizon and have not had any issues.

But there are…depending on where you’re parked, just walk down the west side of the academic support building/Yurczak.
Let's see: '

- Scarlet, Green, White, Yellow and Brown DO NOT get "funneled' through it'
- student busses DO NOT "get funneled" through it
- River Road, Greek Church, etc. DO NOT "get funneled" through it
- Livingston Shuttles DO NOT "get funneled" through it (right?)

...so let's not get too crazy here. Plus...where else would you suggest the other lots get "funneled through?

Now do the Tan Lot all the way out in the hinterlands by the golf course.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

That's weird. My wife, daughter and father have Verizon - never any issues. I have AT&T - never any issues.

Remember that old shaving products commercial? "Maybe it isn't your razor. Maybe it's your face." 😁

• Haha
Reactions: RU205 and RUChoppin
Verizon for both me and my wife. Once we got close to the stadium, we didn't have any problems... But standing in line at the other end of the bubble waiting for the buses back to Livingston, we again lost reception.

Verizon for both me and my wife. Once we got close to the stadium, we didn't have any problems... But standing in line at the other end of the bubble waiting for the buses back to Livingston, we again lost reception.

There were a couple of big games, in seasons past, where Verizon brought in a mobile switch to handle the concentration of additional traffic. What you're seeing is no doubt just basic network contention caused by the amount of traffic. It's easily solved - provided enough people complain to Verizon about the problem.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Great idea. The Boardwalk single handedly brought my 9 and 11 year olds back to the games. Now if we can do something about the train horn so they are not complaining during the game all things would be perfect...

Best addition to RU pre-game ever!

One of my partners took his family, including two grade school girls last year. They had an absolutely fantastic time.

For the Virginia Tech game, a friend took his daughter, son in law, and 3 year old granddaughter. They raved about how much fun it was. So much so, my friend texted me a picture of his granddaughter in a RU cheering outfit that was purchased after the Va Tech game. Making fans for life early on!!! Go RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of our regulars is a couple with a 6 and 3 year old daughter - they absolutely love the Boardwalk, especially the rides and ice cream (which we don't have at the tailgate). Being in yellow, we're close to it and there was one game we didn't do much cooking so I sampled a few of the trucks and they're pretty good, although the lines are a bit long. Just a huge success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT