ADVERTISEMENT

These need to stop

May 4, 2014
im sorry but these 4 page posts b*tching about when a highly rated recruit chooses someone other that Rutgers is pathetic. Do you realize how bad we look moping about anyone and everyone who considered Rutgers but chose to go somewhere else? What does it accomplish? What is the point?

Stop yelling every time a Jersey recruit goes out of state, we have NEVER landed more than 2-3 of the nj top 10 recruits in any year. All these people who yell that Flood can't recruit... GIVE THE GUY PROPER RESOURCES AND DECENT FACILITIES. Rutgers has NO shot for these big time kids with the current facilities, winning won't even cure it. Unfortunately to the fans who somehow think we should be recruiting on the level of Ohio State and Penn State, it will take about $300-400 million dollars.

Also stop bashing 17 year old kids, are you kidding me? Kid works his whole life to get a scholarship, commits to the defending national champions and some are of here b*tching he didn't choose his 'Home School'. That has worse facilities than most Texas High Schools!

Naysayers I have one message.... SHUT UP AND SUPPORT OUR SCHOOL NO MATTER WHAT!!!

RRRRRRRRRRR!

Im personally getting tired of people blaming the facilities. Outside of a 100k stadium which we will never have, our facilities are just fine for football. Other sports, I agree but football isnt one of them.

agree with the premise of the post and everything except, but our football facilities are on par with the middle half of the league. do they need to improve? sure, and would be nice to have a bigger recruiting budget like OSU and PSU, but our facilities, if you have ever been to the Hale Center, are not bad.

I've been to Hale, its nice but nothing special compared to others. I guess my point is now we're in the big 10 and psu and osu are right next door and the top jersey guys can still play in front of friends and family. We need to have facilities at the highest level of we're going to honestly compete year in and year out in this league.

We don't have the label of being a 'traditional power' to any recruit (including New Jersey) so we have to have something unique that will draw recruits to Rutgers, don't buy into this 'be a leader not a follower' crap because there's 6 other schools in the big 10 alone that could say the same thing.

Also being close to NYC isn't really a draw, it's not like these kids on top of practices, class, studying, game travel, social events, etc. even would have much time to visit the city.

This we need top level facilities if we're honestly going to compete in this league, it has nothing to do with Kyle flood

im sorry but these 4 page posts b*tching about when a highly rated recruit chooses someone other that Rutgers is pathetic. Do you realize how bad we look moping about anyone and everyone who considered Rutgers but chose to go somewhere else? What does it accomplish? What is the point?

Stop yelling every time a Jersey recruit goes out of state, we have NEVER landed more than 2-3 of the nj top 10 recruits in any year. All these people who yell that Flood can't recruit... GIVE THE GUY PROPER RESOURCES AND DECENT FACILITIES. Rutgers has NO shot for these big time kids with the current facilities, winning won't even cure it. Unfortunately to the fans who somehow think we should be recruiting on the level of Ohio State and Penn State, it will take about $300-400 million dollars.

Also stop bashing 17 year old kids, are you kidding me? Kid works his whole life to get a scholarship, commits to the defending national champions and some are of here b*tching he didn't choose his 'Home School'. That has worse facilities than most Texas High Schools!

Naysayers I have one message.... SHUT UP AND SUPPORT OUR SCHOOL NO MATTER WHAT!!!

RRRRRRRRRRR!

Total BS IMO.
Greg Schiano brought in at least 3 Top. 10 NJ Recruits in his last two classes ('11 and '12 ...which was his Class) while still being a member of the fledging Big East Conference. What has Flood done in 3 years with RU now being in the premier CFB Conference in the country : B1G ....just One Top NJ recruit in the last 3 years. That's one out of 30.
Don't kid yourself Rutgers has fine facilities ( Hale Center) and a dynamic game day atmosphere that should attract more NJ blue chip players . For whatever reason the current staff is failing badly and we need to improve here.

Total BS IMO.
Greg Schiano brought in at least 3 Top. 10 NJ Recruits in his last two classes ('11 and '12 ...which was his Class) while still being a member of the fledging Big East Conference. What has Flood done in 3 years with RU now being in the premier CFB Conference in the country : B1G ....just One Top NJ recruit in the last 3 years. That's one out of 30.
Don't kid yourself Rutgers has fine facilities ( Hale Center) and a dynamic game day atmosphere that should attract more NJ blue chip players . For whatever reason the current staff is failing badly and we need to improve here.

Mostly correct, except A LOT of schools have more of a "dynamic game-day atmosphere," so leave that out. Our brand name remains our biggest hurdle. Schiano, who, need I remind you, never won a conference title in that dungheap of a conference, had charisma that could win people over. If you don't have a product that people are clamoring for, being a good salesman helps. Schiano could sell himself and his vision for the program. Flood is definitely more of the plodding type, but again, Schiano didn't sell Rutgers as much as he sold HIS vision for Rutgers.

Our facilities are not to blame -- I don't think. They are fine for football, and considering the investment while other sports got pan drippings they should be. Are they top of the heap? No. Are middling football schools (like Minnesota, for example) spending more? Yes, they are. But we ain't going to drop huge coin on football for a while, or at least until we can do so in other areas.

If he can win eight games again, I'm not going to care much about the recruiting. Until the former is affected by the latter, I honestly will not care.

But I will agree with the OP: STOP BITCHING EVERY TIME A NEW JERSEY KID GOES ELSEWHERE. You can play for the national champions? You can play for a perennial Top 20 team? Go for it. Good luck to you. No hard feelings.

Commit here and change your mind? That's another story ...

Reactions: DT Hawxhurst
Im personally getting tired of people blaming the facilities. Outside of a 100k stadium which we will never have, our facilities are just fine for football. Other sports, I agree but football isnt one of them.

Our football facilities are not competitive with Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska, schools within our own conference.

Your 300-400 million dollar for facilities is rubbish, OP, unless your including a new basketball arena. What Football needs is a 40-50 million dollar football facility, complete, with an indoor practice facility, just like what Ohio State has.

That comes out to 1,612 for each season ticket holder.

Total BS IMO.

This hits the nail on the head. It is legit to complain about facilities for our b-ball program, but not football.

I don't like posts that lecture and treat others on this board like children. There is usually no black and white on the issues argued on this board. I enjoy reading the opinions of others whether I agree or not. In the era of successful "big time" football RU has had only 2 coaches so it's natural to compare the coaches as to their records and recruiting results. We are not mindless fans that go along with whatever happens at Rutgers. Critiquing the program and questioning the moves are what fans that support the program do.

Reactions: redking

RRRRRRRRRRR!
You freakin stink of Troll

We need to win some against the big boys and stay competitive in all the games. Ny/Nj loves a winner and our kids are no different. Hard to sell the dream while being curb stomped by 30. There's a reason why messy homes that need new paint and carpet don't sell. Easy fixes, but difficult to see the potential when competing homes are brand new or fully upgraded and are in move-in condition.

babbs, you're totally wrong. Recruits are laughing at our 'state of the art' Bubble. Yeah, State of the Art in the 1970's. The Hale Center Lobby is a third the size of what most B1G powers have. Our Football facilities could be said to be 'Retro, Quaint'.

Facilities aren't the difference as to why a prospect chooses one program over another. Even when Oregon under Nike was the first to have out of the galaxy facilities, all that did was get attention. It was the winning, exposure from winning, and eventually the sending of Players to the NFL.

I keep saying that Rutgers needs to win first with the players they have, develop a few players who,exceed their expectation, and then get a player or two or three, who is considered a top national prospect. They all don't have to be in the same class, and they all don't all have to be from NJ, although those may be the easiest to initially get.

Unlike some other programs in the Big, Rutgers has the potential recruiting base. By all means create high expectations, but getting there will take some time. Enjoy the ride.

Our football facilities are not competitive with Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska, schools within our own conference.

Al, you've named 3 teams in a 14 team conference. Our facilities are not the problem. Yes, they're not at the top of the mark, but they're pretty damn good. There are other problems.

It is all about winning, period! Although this program has certainly improved over the years with Schiano and Flood, it is not nearly enough for most top recruits to make the that leap. If this program was able to beat the top programs and truly compete for league and national championships, all of the other supposed "problems" would evaporate.

Switching to a spread would get you better results faster and cheaper. Look up Joey Bosa and Steve Miller highlights against Rutgers on YouTube. Count how many times we come out with two tight ends and a fullback and try to run the ball. Then witness how OSU didn't even need to bring a safety into the box and still could stop the run (many times for a loss). Our guys were missing assignments, whiffing on blocks, getting confused by stunts, or simply got mauled resulting in immediate backfield penetration by the DEs. Yet we are somehow convinced that we are the Stanford of the east and keep trying trying to run power-o against a vastly superior opponent. It's madness I tell you.

Switching to a spread would get you better results faster and cheaper. Look up Joey Bosa and Steve Miller highlights against Rutgers on YouTube. Count how many times we come out with two tight ends and a fullback and try to run the ball. Then witness how OSU didn't even need to bring a safety into the box and still could stop the run (many times for a loss). Our guys were missing assignments, whiffing on blocks, getting confused by stunts, or simply got mauled resulting in immediate backfield penetration by the DEs. Yet we are somehow convinced that we are the Stanford of the east and keep trying trying to run power-o against a vastly superior opponent. It's madness I tell you.
Even if RU switched to a spread offense, they would still have to block people. The fundamental problem is that the OL was overmatched against B1G opposition. Until that changes, it won't matter what kind of offense they run.

Lotus: if you run power-o, 6-7 people need to execute. If you throw a bubble screen, 2 people need to execute.

Al, you've named 3 teams in a 14 team conference. Our facilities are not the problem. Yes, they're not at the top of the mark, but they're pretty damn good. There are other problems.

Senator Lesniak has recognized the need to upgrade football and basketball facilities which is why he sponsored a bill to provide Rutgers with $25 million in tax credits to do so. It'll be up to donors to come up with the balance.

"Pretty damn good" wasn't good enough to land Haskins, who cited facilities as one of the biggest reasons he chose Maryland:

"The new facilities up there are very up and coming and probably one of the best in the country when it comes to them and other programs, especially the SEC."

We're losing NJs best recruits to top of the mark teams.
We landed 0 of the Top 10 NJs best in 2015 and that might be the case in 2016.

PSU is also significantly upgrading their facilities to keep up with Maryland. We cannot afford to be at a disadvantage when it comes to regional recruiting rivals.

That's why Our facilities WILL be upgraded. The only question is the scope of the upgrade. If donors step up to the plate, we can ensure our football facility is competitive with the best.

Premise of this post is ridiculous in the extreme.

He says its bad to whine about recruits.. but then he whines about everything else.

How does that look?

Is the OP really a fan or just some griefer looking to insult Rutgers fans and the program while seemingly providing justification for the insults?

OP joined in May 2014. I'll let you all wonder if that means anything.

Reactions: redking
Odd how people sit here and complain about players leaving the state and loyalty etc. And yet just how loyal and supportive are the complainers who essentially abandon "their home state team" and school and are ready to bitch about everything. Most of these folks even complain about facilities and lack of funds and I am willing to bet that their donation level is sub par. Some in fact are probably not even season ticket holders.

So stop complaining if a kid chooses to go out of state. And yes part of the problem is a NJ perception thing and may even relate to Rutgers itself. Compare the Rugers campus to those of other B1G or P5 schools. It's spread out over three areas of town that requires buses to get from one place to another in fact even if one can keep most football players on the Busch campus you now lessen the possibility of students take advantage if majors offered at Cook. So in essence it is not an easy problem to ovetcome. Flood and staff are doing a decent job in building on a foundation given to them. People talk as if GS could do no wrong and yet one problem he had was staff turnover which is important. Kyle has brought stability there.

Comparing Rutgers football to other B1G schools and one has to agree that we are right in the middle of the pack and given our history and commitent over the past 25 -30 years that's not too bad. Rutgers is getting there one step at a time. The results on the field hasn't been as bad as some folks continue to try and paint it. I saw only one really bad game last year.....Wisconsin and yes that was a disaster but I also saw some great ones vs Michigan, PSU, Maryland and UNC. And the losses were to the top 3 teams in the conference and no different than those of other teams in the middle of the pack.

So stop complaining as the OP has said and maybe look at yourself first and how things are improving at a steady pace and we are not cheating to get where we want to be. It's been said often but NJ is a difficult environment than many other states. And also keep on mind as to which school won the Lambert Trophy as the best team in the East this year....Rutgers. That my friends is a major statement and a step forward. And if you have a need to be critical of the ptogrsm or even players going elsewhere just try to stop and think, reread your post and try to be somewhat civil.

Al, facilities for football are fine in most areas and no question money is an important factor but let's not make them out to be poor. There are some things in the works that will address this. Many recruits are impressed with what we hsve snd these are recruits that have seen other svhools. Also keep in mind that Rutgers probably has one of the best academic support programs in the country and our APR is testimony to that. Isn't that what the major goal of college is...to graduate students with a solid education and degree.

The bubble does need to be replaced and the Hale Center, while very nice, no longer has the "wow" factor it did 10 years ago. This puts us pretty much in the middle of the road in the B1G.
The problem is that there is no room to bitch about it. where is the money going to come from to upgrade? And how much money would we even put back into the facilities when it starts coming in anyway? Believe me, we will never get it from private donations so we are going to have to wait for our full share.
And yes, it does make a difference to recruits. Every kid walks into college with the thoughts of getting into the NFL. Having the biggest and best facilities shows the dedication of that school to get them there. And realistic, the better the facilities, the better the training can be. This absolutely factors in.

Someone mentioned above that NYC is not a factor...It is a HUGE factor my man. But, you will see down the road that this will factor more when it comes from other areas around the country.

Reactions: miketd1
Even if RU switched to a spread offense, they would still have to block people. The fundamental problem is that the OL was overmatched against B1G opposition. Until that changes, it won't matter what kind of offense they run.

This. The OL needs to be stronger upfront. This might be a real long time build ( several years), in the meantime a Spread Offense led by QB Lavaino ( who appears to be our most mobile QB in over ten years) might be a solution.

Your 300-400 million dollar for facilities is rubbish, OP, unless your including a new basketball arena. What Football needs is a 40-50 million dollar football facility, complete, with an indoor practice facility, just like what Ohio State has.

That comes out to 1,612 for each season ticket holder.

It absolutely includes a new basketball arena Al, These things are paramount in recruiting, recruits tour the entire campus and if a school is committed to ATHLETICS as a whole, it shows... James Franklin is taking these top NJ recruits to games in their brand new $90 million Ice Hockey arena and showing off those facilities while Kyle Flood is hosting Jarrett Guarantano by taking him to a basketball game at the RAC... Do you see my point? It isn't a fair fight, it's like taking a club fighter and throwing him out there to fight Mike Tyson.

More important than that though and the point of my post is that is disgusts me that grown men are on here literally yelling at KIDS for not choosing Rutgers and many times going to a "Football Power". It's not anyone on here's place to determine what "Representing New Jersey" is. Kareem Walker can represent New Jersey any way he wants and he shouldn't hear a bunch of sh*t from grown men who are upset that he didn't choose to go to school at Rutgers.

Wow- spread. We snap our fingers and switch right over.
So, we are exactly 1 year from possible having the biggest OL we have ever had and will have tons of experience at that time with another year right behind it. We have stud RB's, Rettig, Dare, Russo are all pro style.
WTF are you thinking? And Flood has already stated he is not changing his style of play.

Some fans continue to say Rutgers has the talent to compete with the top B1G opponents.Losing to top tier league opponents by at least 4 touchdowns isn't being competitive.Of course, the problem always goes back to the inability to attract higher caliber recruits which is a ongoing concern that has been unsolved for decades.Unfortunately,there doesn't seem to be a magic potent to change the status quo.Changing leagues might generate more income in 5-6 years but how the football team performs during the interim period remains a big mystery.

Wow- spread. We snap our fingers and switch right over.
So, we are exactly 1 year from possible having the biggest OL we have ever had and will have tons of experience at that time with another year right behind it. We have stud RB's, Rettig, Dare, Russo are all pro style.
WTF are you thinking? And Flood has already stated he is not changing his style of play.

Why can't it be done? It's so easy for these guys change styles on their Xbox. lol.

Reactions: ruready07
Knightfan- amazing isn't it. And even worse when you realize that we have B1G size and quality OL here now but not experienced yet. We have amazing RB's and pro style QB's. Even Laviano is more pro style then spread.

Oregon, TCU, and Baylor are all state-of-the-art spread teams. They have different approaches that take pressure off of their offensive lines, but they still block people. Installing an offensive system to cover for the fact that you're overmatched in the trenches is not a winning formula.

We don't lose recruits because of a lack of facilities, Schiano was able to get those recruits with the same facilities and a lesser conference. What we lack is a coach with vision and fire that can sell these kids on a dream of playing and winning in their home state. We used to think Edsall was a recruiting joke when we had Schiano. Now he's killing us.

We don't lose recruits because of a lack of facilities, Schiano was able to get those recruits with the same facilities and a lesser conference. What we lack is a coach with vision and fire that can sell these kids on a dream of playing and winning in their home state. We used to think Edsall was a recruiting joke when we had Schiano. Now he's killing us.

Haskins said one of the reasons he chose Maryland was their new planned football facility. It's right in Todd's commitment article.

knightfan: if you think I'm a young kid, you are mistaken

yesrutgers & lotus: we have good linemen, but they aren't the sort that will get push 1v1 against OSU's 5-stars. In fact, we need to double, chip, or check release against DEs like OSU, Wisconsin, & Nebraska. You can disagree with me, that's fine. But ease up on the condescending tone. I'm on your side.

knightfan: if you think I'm a young kid, you are mistaken

yesrutgers & lotus: we have good linemen, but they aren't the sort that will get push 1v1 against OSU's 5-stars. In fact, we need to double, chip, or check release against DEs like OSU, Wisconsin, & Nebraska. You can disagree with me, that's fine. But ease up on the condescending tone. I'm on your side.

Mike:

People feel frustrated having to debate the same points over and over again.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. But as long as Flood is here, we'll be a pro style shop. Our new OC is committed to running a pro style offense.

The issue is that it keeps happening. Motnh after month. Year after year. Elite players flirt with us then go home to f' the prom king. At some point we look pathetic not because the fans mope about that, but because we retained a coaching staff that continues to do it.

Mostly correct, except A LOT of schools have more of a "dynamic game-day atmosphere," so leave that out. Our brand name remains our biggest hurdle. Schiano, who, need I remind you, never won a conference title in that dungheap of a conference, had charisma that could win people over. If you don't have a product that people are clamoring for, being a good salesman helps. Schiano could sell himself and his vision for the program. Flood is definitely more of the plodding type, but again, Schiano didn't sell Rutgers as much as he sold HIS vision for Rutgers.

Our facilities are not to blame -- I don't think. They are fine for football, and considering the investment while other sports got pan drippings they should be. Are they top of the heap? No. Are middling football schools (like Minnesota, for example) spending more? Yes, they are. But we ain't going to drop huge coin on football for a while, or at least until we can do so in other areas.

If he can win eight games again, I'm not going to care much about the recruiting. Until the former is affected by the latter, I honestly will not care.

But I will agree with the OP: STOP BITCHING EVERY TIME A NEW JERSEY KID GOES ELSEWHERE. You can play for the national champions? You can play for a perennial Top 20 team? Go for it. Good luck to you. No hard feelings.

Commit here and change your mind? That's another story ...
Schiano never won a championship...Just re-saw the WVU end -of-season game 2006...youtube...Townsend dropped a JV drill pass in the end zone 4th qtr. to allow the Hillbillies to tie, then in three overtimes win, with Ray
Rice touching the last gasp pass in the zone........................................and dropping it. Sciano was very close to tasting Oranges.

Schiano never won a championship...Just re-saw the WVU end -of-season game 2006...youtube...Townsend dropped a JV drill pass in the end zone 4th qtr. to allow the Hillbillies to tie, then in three overtimes win, with Ray
Rice touching the last gasp pass in the zone........................................and dropping it. Sciano was very close to tasting Oranges.

And we need to stop with the whole 'schiano never won the lowly big east' argument. The league was extremely underrated and we consistently had our teams in and around the top 10. It was no the AAC by any means. Rutgers, wvu, Louisville and usf/Cindy/uconn were playing some really good football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT