ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Game

formerlyknownasrutgers100

Heisman Winner
Dec 8, 2009
This is coming from someone who is very hard on Ash normally. Proud of the team today, they played very hard. Gus edwards especially had a great game. Gio is a warrior. Was happy with the secondary for the most part, special teams was okay, the tackling was much improved today then it has been against these big 4 opponents. There was a lot of hustle especially on defense, turay was making some plays up field, as were other players, no one quit on a play. Felt we were competitive and this game may have turned out differently if the refs had spotted the ball short on that 4th and 1 like they should have. Washington still looks like he's a gonna be a beast and we should be happy he will come back next year. Hayek also looks good. The d-line got pushed around but Turay, wilkins and joseph all made nice plays at some point., the linebackers were not great. The o-line was pitiful absolutely pitiful, I think Ash and Kill need to keep an extra blocker in, because on many plays guys don't even have time to run a route. Was happy with kill's play calling, but it should have been done earlier in the season, when Grant gets the ball in his hands he's very dangerous. The same could be said about blackshear, and hicks I would argue, and maybe melton and hayek too we haven't seen enough of them to be sure tho.
We also need to be making 2 step drop throws and doing bubble screens since the o-line isn't good. I would like to see the young linebackers play more as well, I saw some of them were in at the end. In addition I'd like clark and Vretman to get more run if their redshirts are already burnt. Things could have been different without the terrible holding call on our center (michigan at the very least might not score again before the half and maybe we get points), the kiy hester dropped pick, the bad 4th and 1 spot, and the grant tackle by shoelaces on the field.
I was happy with the coaching with the exception of a few things. Ash usually uses his timeouts too liberally early in the game to prevent delay of game's. Today he did the opposite took all 3 timeouts to the half with him. At the end of the half the defense looked exhausted, take a time out let them breathe especially when we were in the game. Also, show some damn fire. Refs made at least 4 objectionable calls, or non-calls. We clone this program after Urban Meyer, to a T. Urban Meyer goes right after the refs when they make a mistake. When you want your team to run through a wall for you, you have to for them. We need to see Fire from him, especially towards the refs when he believes his players were wrong, also does he ever challenge plays himself? I could be wrong but I feel like he never or hardly ever does, you get a challenge, use it. Lastly we need more of this creative play-calling on o, we should not have waited until game 8 to see it. Hats off for doing it tho, and we should continue with it. Lastly we need to blitz, it's a freshmen qb out there. Hit him a few times, give him happy feet, we were not getting home with 4. We have to fluster these guys a bit. He had all day to throw and clearly got confident from completing some easyish passes. I feel better about the team after this game than before it. I think we will have a tight game with Maryland next week, and hopefully we can beat them. I definitely see improvement tho from last year to this year, and even since the start of the season. I'm not satisfied with the teams level of play yet, and still think the coaching leaves things to be desired, but I'm not longer 100 percent sure Ash will not get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News