ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Wimsatt

Eagleton96

All American
Jul 25, 2001
I’ve seen a lot of entrenched positions on our mini QB controversy: QB sucks. Or QB is great, everything is great.

I think the team has made amazing strides. We have come from the dregs to be a top 40 maybe even a top 30 team. And GW has been part of that. Smart game management. Some brilliant runs. And an underrated skill, he is good at making sure he safely throws the ball away when the play isn’t there. As a total package, we have had way worse.

BUT, the goals have changed. We have a top 25 OL, defense, and RB group. We aren’t taking the next step with a QB playing at Wimsatt’s current level. He has very glaring accuracy issues. He locks on early to receivers even if there is triple coverage. And for all his athleticism he isn’t an instinctive scrambler and playmaker. Given we have a top running game and OL, GW has had advantages many other QBs don’t have. OSU was playing 8 in the box much of the game and we still ran on them - ideal conditions for a QB.

So I root for GW. I’m grateful he came here. I’m grateful for the role he has played in giving us this amazing season. BUT also, whether it’s from GW improving or someone not currently on the roster, there is no doubt RU should be focusing hard on getting better at QB for next year.

Hey, what am I going to say? Lol this can go on forever...yes hes been real bad throwing the ball this year. As many NCAA QBs and offenses have been this year. Yes there are better QBs out there, maybe RU will get one in the transfer portal. I see there is a subscription based article on potential transfer portal targets on the front page of this site. Sign up for premium and start scouting, be the change you want to see like Scott stallions. Then make your yearly contribution to the Rutgers NIL fund or begin to contribute whatever you can if you haven't already. Then solicit whoever else you can for nil donations because any drake mayes or sam Hartman's in the portal are going to be showered with offers.

In my case, I like to base myself in reality while remaining optimistic about the future.

The play towards the end of the game where he lobbed the ball to Dremel while he was triple covered was particularly troubling. He seems to miss far too many wide open receivers as well.
Although if we had someone better I'm confident Schiano would be playing him.

Reactions: bac2therac
The play towards the end of the game where he lobbed the ball to Dremel while he was triple covered was particularly troubling. He seems to miss far too many wide open receivers as well.
Although if we had someone better I'm confident Schiano would be playing him.
I have no doubt GW is the best option on the current roster. Talk of yanking him is silly. But when people grumble a little about his play after a big loss, they aren’t wrong or delusional.

Teams will try to get him to transfer to their program next year, while you all complain. They will tell him "Rutgers offensive play makers are hurting your potential"..lol you guys may get your wish..

RU should get a good WR from the portal and nevermind the high school kids
Xavier Weaver was USFs best WR and he's been huge at Colorado
Used covid +year for 5th at Colorado.
The right WR can be huge for Wimsatt.
All RU's receivers are good players but for a B1G team they are a little short of what Wimsatt needs.
Dremel has 432 yds and 3 TDs in five years but he's being tasked for big plays vs top teams

Last edited:
They're not likely to find a better QB between now and September 2024 who also has game time under his belt. All you can do is accentuate the positives and eliminate the negatives: have him run more and do the pass plays he's good at, which seems to be middle of the field.

Teams will try to get him to transfer to their program next year, while you all complain. They will tell him "Rutgers offensive play makers are hurting your potential"..lol you guys may get your wish..
That will be interesting to see if it comes true. My sense is that teams higher in the pecking order than us will NOT be making a run at Wimsatt.

Last edited:
absolutely should use the portal to get a new one. no question about it if want to be a top 25 team consistently

They're not likely to find a better QB between now and September 2024 who also has game time under his belt. All you can do is accentuate the positives and eliminate the negatives: have him run more and do the pass plays he's good at, which seems to be middle of the field.
That's a decent point. Good QBs don't grow on trees, and seasoning, and experience with your team and system, matter. But remember, Schiano benched "good enough" upperclassman Ryan Hart for freshman with potential Mike Teel in 2005. Hart was arguably better than Teel most of that season. But the assessment was correct in the long term that Teel was the guy.

Reactions: brgRC90
That's a decent point. Good QBs don't grow on trees, and seasoning, and experience with your team and system, matter. But remember, Schiano benched "good enough" upperclassman Ryan Hart for freshman with potential Mike Teel in 2005. Hart was arguably better than Teel most of that season. But the assessment was correct in the long term that Teel was the guy.
Well, long term teel was the guy because he was a freshman and hart was a senior . But the assessment was not correct that year.
Maybe teel’s experience that year led to him being solid his sophomore year? Maybe if he played even more in 2005, he wouldn’t have thrown that ball so hard to Townsend

Get a few receiver options for GW and he will get better. Players with skill sets comparable to past RU players.
1. TE- someone like Tyler Kroft
2. WR- someone like Britt or Carroo or Sanu
3. Slot receiver like Grant.

If GW can line up with these types of options with the current OL and RB, he would look much better.

Also- GW has good size and arm strength. He runs the ball well and his short throws are ok but it’s his deep ball that needs to improved. Need a WR that can win 1:1 down field.

Get a few receiver options for GW and he will get better. Players with skill sets comparable to past RU players.

If GW can line up with these types of options with the current OL and RB, he would look much better.

Also- GW has good size and arm strength. He runs the ball well and his short throws are ok but it’s his deep ball that needs to improved. Need a WR that can win 1:1 down field.
Lol ! You listed some of the best players in rutgers history!
Any quarterback would look better with those guys .

For all the folks saying we need better WRs. Why would a top WR come here to get 2-3 inaccurate targets a game? We have little desire to throw and aren't good at it when we do. Gonna be tough to attract WR talent until we have a QB who can throw.

Maybe if he played even more in 2005, he wouldn’t have thrown that ball so hard to Townsend
C'mon man. You really giving Teel even an ounce of blame for that drop? Nonsense.

And for the record, I love Coach Schiano but it was a terrible decision to replace Hart with Teel in 2005. Thankfully, he switched them back in time to win the UConn game.

Wimsatt is the glaring weak link on this team.

A lot of QBs make bad throws.
How many high throws did Eli Manning make?
College QBs at the top complete around 70% so 30% goes wrong,
A good WR who is fast, catches with hands, leaps high and get YAC yards is a blessing for QBs
RU doesn't have a lot of that.
Ohio St WR make McCord look good.
This ball goes over Dremel's head

KjGrKUX.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Eagleton96
C'mon man. You really giving Teel even an ounce of blame for that drop? Nonsense.

And for the record, I love Coach Schiano but it was a terrible decision to replace Hart with Teel in 2005. Thankfully, he switched them back in time to win the UConn game.
Sarcasm Lou

Do we have the magic of 2006 if Teel doesn't play in 2005? Sometimes you have to take your lumps to build up players with high upside. Maybe this year is us taking our lumps with GW. But his issues seem like the kinds that are hard to fix and don't change much with a year's experience.

Reactions: LeapinLou
This is so laughable it deserves a call out rather than just a laughing face emoji!

The way he overthrows I think you should put James Bailey, Roy Hinson and Cliff O on the list 😂

Lol ! You listed some of the best players in rutgers history!
Any quarterback would look better with those guys .
Right. That’s the point. These are all players Schiano recruited in the past. Why can’t he find these types of players again. if Rutgers wants to beat OSU, Michigan and PSU these are the types of players he needs to recruit again.

Right. That’s the point. These are all players Schiano recruited in the past. Why can’t he find these types of players again. if Rutgers wants to beat OSU, Michigan and PSU these are the types of players he needs to recruit again.
He does . It’s not easy

Our WR talent is another area for an upgrade, and that is a mitigating factor in judging Wimsatt for sure. But the lack of accuracy goes beyond what better targets can fix. No WR could get more open than Dremmel was in the first quarter of the OSU game.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT