ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Brando

29PAS

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
I thought he was awful today - for the entire game. And then he dropped the Harry Potter comment on Griffiths - entirely inappropriate. Later I think he called us "upstarts" or something like that. He's now on my punchable faces list :)

Last edited:
I thought he was awful today - for the entire game. And then he dropped the Harry Potter comment on Griffiths - entirely inappropriate. Later I think he called us "upstarts" or something like that. He's now on my punchable faces list.
This is the first time Rutgers has been on a national channel like 2,4,5,7 and lacks the name recognition of elite programs.Playing this game has to increase national exposure for recruiting.

I used to respect him but he was kind of a clown today. “Human pogo stick” for Davis and there was another ridiculous comment that I can’t remember. He kept implying that Austin Williams’ foul trouble was critical lol. I also thought the Harry Potter comment was strange and he made it sound like that’s a known nickname for Gavin.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
Tim Brando is an elitist moron.

I remember a segment on tv many years ago when he was maliciously mocking Big East Football calling the conference the Big “Least “ etc.

Was very unprofessional of someone of his stature.

Brando at one point was trying I think to compliment Cliff but it ended up being a weird statement about education. The multiple comparisons of Edey to Shaq, David Robinson and .... Laphonso Ellis were weird/forced.

Brando at one point was trying I think to compliment Cliff but it ended up being a weird statement about education. The multiple comparisons of Edey to Shaq, David Robinson and .... Laphonso Ellis were weird/forced.
That stood out to me also. I may be mistaken, but I think it was something like "these Nigerian kids come here in desperate need of an education". Maybe someone else can clarify. It was incredibly awkward and inappropriate. Not sure if that was his intent, or he jumbled his words.

Reactions: satnom
I also thought it was weird that he just kept calling it the RAC at Jersey Mike's Arena. He said he never had been to the building so he should call it by it's proper name.

"upstarts" may be a proper name for this team when they actually show some life with a top team.

I also thought it was weird that he just kept calling it the RAC at Jersey Mike's Arena. He said he never had been to the building so he should call it by it's proper name.
It will ALWAYS be the RAC … I love Jersey Mike’s subs and support but… what sends the Rutgers message better?

I didn't watch the replay of the game, but it just sounds like another game on the schedule for Brando, who was clearly unprepared or not familiar with anything RU or Rutgers basketball. That will hopefully change as the program continues to improve and more "national" writers, followers, play-by-play commentators get used to watching RU play.

Which is really my #1 pet peeve about coverage in general, you would be surprised how many fans, actually listen and believe everything that the commentators have about the game or situations during a game.

More often than not, 99% of my RU sports conversations that don't involve other Rivals readers, is usually having a conversation with someone who doesn't follow college sports in general, or literally has no clue about anything going on. The consumption of the sport is as much as how many minutes will someone watch a game on TV, before turning the channel to another game.

It is going to take a very long time for normal sports fans from being solely reliant for knowledge, based on what ESPN says or doesn't say, in regards to the B1G, let alone RU.

The announcers who know RU and the B1G the best, are what we should focus on, even if Tim Brando are the "national " broadcasters.

Last edited:
At one time, Tim Brando was quite good, but with age, his skills have declined, and his sense of propriety has not quite evolved with the times. I dread hearing him on the call of a big game. He's awful and he's always just around the corner from a career-ending gaffe.

Reactions: Good-Knight
I was at the game but watched the replay so I could get a feel for what the national audience was experiencing.

As @RUBubba pointed out, Illinois fans were chanting that at Griffiths. That game was what Brando likely used to prep for this one, so that must be where he got it from. If he would have consulted with someone from BTN, they likely would have told him not to use that.

As @ru66 pointed out, he said the food at the RAC was great. But unless I'm missing it, they don't serve Jersey Mikes at the RAC and the food is adequate at best. So another miss.

Overall, what mattered was that we were competitive and the RAC looked like a place you would want to be to see a game. Mission accomplished.

I was at the game but watched the replay so I could get a feel for what the national audience was experiencing.

As @RUBubba pointed out, Illinois fans were chanting that at Griffiths. That game was what Brando likely used to prep for this one, so that must be where he got it from. If he would have consulted with someone from BTN, they likely would have told him not to use that.

As @ru66 pointed out, he said the food at the RAC was great. But unless I'm missing it, they don't serve Jersey Mikes at the RAC and the food is adequate at best. So another miss.

Overall, what mattered was that we were competitive and the RAC looked like a place you would want to be to see a game. Mission accomplished.

Not sure abut yesterday, but they do sell JM's at the RAC. I've purchased once.
They didn’t for awhile. It appears they got the message. Everybody wants the cheesesteaks but it appears they want to get rid of the excess Chicken cheesesteaks.
Small steps but if people want regular cheesesteaks, JMAC should have enough regular cheesesteaks.
Purdue fans behind me were disappointed.

Reactions: RU_PAYBACK
Brando is a big step up from some of the ham-and-eggers we’ve had in the broadcast booth for years. And we complain here.

Reactions: Plum Street
I wonder if GG is OK with the Harry Potter reference. My wife thought it was clever. If he's OK with it I wonder if it would stick.
Best thing for him to do is laugh it off. It will become his super power. No harm in being a wizard on the basketball court.

I thought he was awful today - for the entire game. And then he dropped the Harry Potter comment on Griffiths - entirely inappropriate. Later I think he called us "upstarts" or something like that. He's now on my punchable faces list :)
When Rutgers and Maryland were joining the B1G, news had just broke. I was listening to his show. He was devastated that MD would leave the ACC. Mocked Rutgers. I called up and asked his reaction when the ACC took Miami and Va Tech, he stammered a bit, made more fun of Rutgers then said “it’s not the same” I said it was to the fans of the Big East schools that were left behind by ACC raid. He didn’t care. Mocked us some more then complained for a week. F him!!

Tim Brando actually has me blocked on Twitter. I made the observation a few years ago that he does too much color commentary along with his play by play and that's the job of the guy sitting next to you. He then blocked me. lol

Reactions: briccnerff
When Rutgers and Maryland were joining the B1G, news had just broke. I was listening to his show. He was devastated that MD would leave the ACC. Mocked Rutgers. I called up and asked his reaction when the ACC took Miami and Va Tech, he stammered a bit, made more fun of Rutgers then said “it’s not the same” I said it was to the fans of the Big East schools that were left behind by ACC raid. He didn’t care. Mocked us some more then complained for a week. F him!!
My ACC friends, bless their hearts, are equally hypocritical. Man, they were pissed off to find out that Maryland was leaving. All the nonsense about lack of honor, sneaking away, cowardly, etc. But I would always ask about how the ACC enticed all those Big East teams to do exactly the same thing, and whether or not their their "treachery" to the Big East meant that they, too, would forever be considered "d-bag" programs. Their responses were less than satisfying...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT