ADVERTISEMENT

To All Those Looking for 7 or 8 Wins Next Year

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
I think you are extrapolating from our 6-6 record and just assuming we don't lose too many players to graduation or the NFL

But do you realize how close we could have been to 3-9

We were definitely lucky to get Northwestern and VaTech so early in the season. Both teams improved significantly after we beat them.

Michigan State was a one off disaster this year, and even then, it took an epic comeback to get the W. Their coaching hire was a home run this year

Miami - extrapolating anything from a bowl game where 10 starters are sitting out is futile

I look at our schedule and see 3 to 4 games we should be favored and another 3-4 where we could be slight favorites or underdogs, so 6 wins would be a good season for us

Howard - def win
Akron - def win
@VaTech slight underdogs
Washington - big underdogs
@Nebraska - slight underdog
Wisconsin - 3-7 point underdogs
UCLA - pick'em
@USC. Big Underdog
Minnesota '- 3-7 point favorites
@Maryland 3-7 point underdogs
Illinois 3-7 point favorites
@Mich St. 3-7 point underdogs

Getting to 6 wins means we win the definitely of Akron and Howard and win at least 2 of the games we are favored UCLA, Minnesota, Illinois

In games we are a slight dog, we need to win half of...VaTech, Nebraska

And win at least 1 game where we are underdogs with a chance for an upset...Wisconsin, Maryland, Mich St

The above combo, with little room for error, gets us to 6 wins. While our Defense will be in the Top Third of the B10, keep in mind that Greg does not have a particularly good record as an underdog and loses to most teams that have winning records

While I love some of the ridiculous 9-3 expectations along with a chance to be in the CFP - just getting us back to a bowl game next year should be considered a success

I know people will disagree about the difficulty of Mich St Maryland and Wisconsin but winning 2 of UCLA, Minnesota and Illinois is a tough ask

Guessing the fan base consensus is 7 wins, but the odds of getting 5 wins are much higher than getting 8 wins.

Wayyyy to early to make accurate predictions but if Athlon can do it, so can we.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News