ADVERTISEMENT

To be the best,play the best

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
It is no small coincidence that Indiana and Michigan State are the only 2 Big Ten teams left in the tourney. Izzo most prominently and Woodson both will play anyone,anywhere. I think one of the 2 win today. Don't see both winning. There is some message to be drawn from this decent sample size. Hope they both win.

Maybe start this thread after today. They've played one game each. Maryland, Northwestern and Penn State won their first round games too no?

Reactions: BigRnj
Maryland was also in the 8 9 game and then get Alabama. Northwestern got UCLA in 2nd game. Would Indiana beat Bama?

I think it literally is a coincidence considering it’s basically random what day they would be scheduled to play on.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I think it literally is a coincidence considering it’s basically random what day they would be scheduled to play on.
You are 100% accurate about the Saturday-Sunday quirk but I do believe that at the end of the day Michigan State and Indiana will be playing the best of any Big Ten team in March. Kudos to Northwestern. They were great last night!

Flux where are you?

@fluoxetine
I’m not really sure what the “decent sample size” is supposed to be? The tournament?

I do enjoy that OP simultaneously believes (1) you need to “play the best to beat the best” and (2) Princeton, with a NC SOS of 331st and a conference schedule of.. the Ivy League.. is a “legitimate contender”

Makes sense!

You are 100% accurate about the Saturday-Sunday quirk but I do believe that at the end of the day Michigan State and Indiana will be playing the best of any Big Ten team in March. Kudos to Northwestern. They were great last night!
Penn State was great too,. Make a well timed 3 and they could have won. The remind me of Belein's WVU teams with Pittsnogle...

I’m not really sure what the “decent sample size” is supposed to be? The tournament?

I do enjoy that OP simultaneously believes (1) you need to “play the best to beat the best” and (2) Princeton, with a NC SOS of 331st and a conference schedule of.. the Ivy League.. is a “legitimate contender”

Makes sense!
We should have added St Peter’s this year too!

For the love of god will someone please send Pike an email to tell him schedule Kansas! No one seems to want to tell him our OOC schedule sucks. The media and selection committee only tell the us but won’t say it to Pike. I think we should take it upon ourselves to complain about it a lot on this board because Pike reads it on his phone all the time and will operate differently if he learns from us that we need to put tougher teams on our schedule to lose to.

Reactions: bac2therac
For the love of god will someone please send Pike an email to tell him schedule Kansas! No one seems to want to tell him our OOC schedule sucks. The media and selection committee only tell the us but won’t say it to Pike. I think we should take it upon ourselves to complain about it a lot on this board because Pike reads it on his phone all the time and will operate differently if he learns from us that we need to put tougher teams on our schedule to lose to.
I thought he broke his phone🤔🤔

Isn’t it supposed to be……to Be the best you have to beat the best?
Ric Flair Wrestling GIF by WWE

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Looking at some nonconference net SOS from warrennolan:

Michigan 11
Michigan State 17
Illinois 43
Wisconsin 46
Ohio State 24
Penn State 246
Maryland 228
Purdue 159
Indiana 198
Northwestern 272
Minnesota 303
Nebraska 270
Rutgers 255
Iowa 250

Conclusion: the data does not support the OP's conclusion. Edited to change this to say THREE of the five B1G teams with top 50 non-conference strength of schedule did not make the NCAA tournament. Indiana has a middling nonconference slate and their success is mainly from having a first team All-American in TJD.

Last edited:

Michigan 11
Michigan State 17
Illinois 43
Wisconsin 46
Ohio State 24
Penn State 246
Maryland 228
Purdue 159
Indiana 198
Northwestern 272
Minnesota 303
Nebraska 270
Rutgers 255
Iowa 250

Conclusion: the data does not support the OP's conclusion. Four of the five B1G teams with top 50 non-conference strength of schedule did not make the NCAA tournament. Indiana has a middling nonconference slate and their success is mainly from having a first team All-American in TJD.
Illinois and Mich St made the tourney so 3 out of 5 didn’t make it, 4 of 5. Small correction.

Reactions: RUtrumpet92
It is no small coincidence that Indiana and Michigan State are the only 2 Big Ten teams left in the tourney. Izzo most prominently and Woodson both will play anyone,anywhere. I think one of the 2 win today. Don't see both winning. There is some message to be drawn from this decent sample size. Hope they both win.
Indiana was not one of the last two teams in the tournament from the big ten because of their schedule. They were one of the last two teams because they played their second round game at 9pm Sunday instead of noon Saturday.

Michigan State has 8 top 100 HS players on their roster
Indiana has 7
Let's do that first
Ding ding ding. Our schedule is not keeping us from the tourney. We were robbed this year. No way Nevada or nc state should have made it. What’s keeping us from being a higher seed and enjoying selection Sunday is more
Consistent scorers to go along with Pikes D. And we know they are coming so everyone should reall just chill. Pike knows what he’s doing!!! Geez

Michigan 11
Michigan State 17
Illinois 43
Wisconsin 46
Ohio State 24
Penn State 246
Maryland 228
Purdue 159
Indiana 198
Northwestern 272
Minnesota 303
Nebraska 270
Rutgers 255
Iowa 250

Conclusion: the data does not support the OP's conclusion. Four of the five B1G teams with top 50 non-conference strength of schedule did not make the NCAA tournament.

Wow that’s interesting. To me it furthers my point - Rutgers didn’t get snubbed because of its nonconf schedule - it got snubbed cause the committee simply didn’t want a 9th Big10 team. Yet another reason given that doesn’t match with the #s

With that said - while I understand the reason for playing crappy teams out of conference (pad the record since the Big10 is tough enough…and will only get harder!!) - my concern with playing a lot of crappy teams is that you’re PLAYING WITH FIRE.

As was proven by the Lafayette loss last year (which could easily have been catastrophic) and the wild upsets in the NCAAs last year and this year - on any given day a crappy team can rise up and bite you in the ass.

helped pad the record this year (as well as the NET since we blew them all out) but it’s just a matter of time when when a team like central Connecticut state beats us and that sits like an anchor on our resume

Reactions: shields
SOS as currently calculated is not an enlightening or useful statistic, in my opinion. If a schedule of 15 games includes 11-12 crap teams and three studs, SOS will not be markedly different than one with 15 crap teams.

Eye test is more Useful, unfortunately, or a simple count/enumeration of high-level opponents, which I see more often in media than SOS. And I think this, not calculated SOS, is how the Rutgers out-of-conference schedule is being viewed (and negatively perceived).

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Purdue played Marquette, WVU, Gonzaga, Duke and FSU in succession. They lost to a 16 seed in the first round. Add that to your sample size.

Reactions: MiloTalon13

Makes sense!
Speaking out of both sides of your mouth or with innuendos is a specialty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT