ADVERTISEMENT

transfer leads NJ college basketball team to the summit

wheezer

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
yes, we can hope and dream that it is so.......for RU this year..... or next
I post the slightly misleading thread title to then show that a transfer can make a big difference, and sometimes take you all the way there...or almost

Andrew Gaze did a lot for SHU, that year.....

Reactions: newell138
Interesting that the article refers to Seton Hall as Gaze’s alma mater. He literally never attended a class there. In 1988 all college players who played for their Olympic teams (Gaze was on Australia’s) got NCAA waivers to skip the first semester due to an overlap With the Olympics. Then in the second semester the season was over in early April and he immediately went home. Played one year at Seton Hall and never attended a class.

Interesting that the article refers to Seton Hall as Gaze’s alma mater. He literally never attended a class there. In 1988 all college players who played for their Olympic teams (Gaze was on Australia’s) got NCAA waivers to skip the first semester due to an overlap With the Olympics. Then in the second semester the season was over in early April and he immediately went home. Played one year at Seton Hall and never attended a class.
I'm going to guess the author of the article didn't really worry about this arcane factoid and literally only us Rutgers fans will care.

I am not a Seton Hall fan, and he was the original ringer, but you are not correct. He took 12 credits and finished nine the first semester, although it was a ridiculous set of classes. There had been some question as to whether the exemption would apply to him. I forget if it was because he was an incoming freshman or because he was a foreign student.

When he decided to bolt after the season he said he would finish his classes from second semester “by correspondence.” But he did not do so. He finished a degree at Victoria University eventually, but it was many years later.

SHU fans sometimes inaccurately say that he left because the NCAA delayed on a determination on whether he would have a second year of eligibility. In reality, he had already been granted a second year of eligibility and actually explained his decision saying that he had “already been in college too long.“ The SHU staff was pretty pissed off because they put a lot of work into securing another year of eligibility for him only for him to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT