ADVERTISEMENT

Trapezoid of Terror Update, Along with Football Practice Facility

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
"We are doing some final tweaks to the master plan,” Hobbs explained. “We expect that we will release that sometime in the fall. That will then be combined with fundraising efforts around that. What we have talked about publicly in the past is that we need an indoor practice facility for our football program. That is a missing ingredient for Greg.”

"In this new world of NIL, it is sort of less of a focus of young people in terms of decision-making. But that is an asset that we actually need for the program. It is long overdue; to replace the bubble or if we continue to use the bubble, we can repurpose that.”

We need an upgrade, we need a renovation of Jersey Mike’s Arena,” Hobbs said. “We are at work. We have an RFP out for a feasibility study. We have actually done the interviews now with the architect so we’ll have an architectural firm getting granular on a renovation; what that would look like. For anybody who is reading this, we will preserve the wild, raucous environment, making sure it remains the Trapezoid of Terror.”

Wild guess: despite the assurances and no one having seen final designs yet, posters will find something to complain about with that statement.
Good, here's the first complaint ... the season's been over for three months already and the renovations haven't started.

Reactions: dasonata259
Posted this in the identical thread on the football board, I think the most significant part of the statement is this-: "In this new world of NIL, it is sort of less of a focus of young people in terms of decision-making." That's something a lot of people have opined on here, but it's interesting to see it confirmed by our AD.

Posted this in the identical thread on the football board, I think the most significant part of the statement is this-: "In this new world of NIL, it is sort of less of a focus of young people in terms of decision-making." That's something a lot of people have opined on here, but it's interesting to see it confirmed by our AD.

How many times has a free agent said "I turned down additional money so I could play at MetLife Stadium. It's so much nicer than Giants Stadium that it was worth taking less money"?

As long as you are above a minimum threshold, I doubt "facilities" makes much of a difference.
Or has ever made much of a difference.
The old and dated RAC certainly hasn't hindered recruiting so far.

Are football players really not coming here because of the bubble?
Or is it because the team stinks?
"I know Rutgers went 10-2 last year and beat OSU and PSU. But I just can't see myself practicing in a bubble."

How many times has a free agent said "I turned down additional money so I could play at MetLife Stadium. It's so much nicer than Giants Stadium that it was worth taking less money"?

As long as you are above a minimum threshold, I doubt "facilities" makes much of a difference.

"I know Rutgers went 10-2 last year and beat OSU and PSU. But I just can't see myself practicing in a bubble."
The old and dated RAC is now one of biggest advantages in recruiting.

Agree we just need to get to the minimum threshold. We are not there now.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
I find it odd that this “story” has gotten so much traction when there’s really no “new news”.
We all knew a plan was coming. I actually thought it was going to be unveiled in June.
So the only actual news here is that it’s now delayed until the fall.
The plan is important but what really matters is the financial resources to pay for the renovations which likely will delay construction.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The old and dated RAC is now one of biggest advantages in recruiting.

Once the team got good first.
Nothing has changed at the RAC in the last decade than the success of the team.
If the team wasn't winning then the RAC isn't a recruiting advantage.

Reactions: dconifer
Based on my little knowledge of development and how long it takes to get permits and sign off in New Jersey, the earliest season, this would be ready is probably after the 24–25 year

I would not be heartbroken if the renovations are years off
I’m okay if we move forward but keep the core in tact. We have to deal with that front concourse issue and there’s so much underutilized space out in front of the RAC.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Based on my little knowledge of development and how long it takes to get permits and sign off in New Jersey, the earliest season, this would be ready is probably after the 24–25 year
Sounds reasonable.

Rutgers is a state institution. They don’t got to go through much of the bs private developers have to as far as permits and inspections .

And our 2025 recruits?
Obviously it’s very early but I would assume we shouldn’t expect 2024 to be a one off and recruiting just drops off a cliff.

At some point we’ll have to rip off the bandaid.
Were Rutgers. I fully expect a #1 recruiting class for 2024. Then COVID 2.0 hits and takes out the next 3 seasons of basketball.

Rutgers is a state institution. They don’t got to go through much of the bs private developers have to as far as permits and inspections .
What permitting and inspection requirements do you think Rutgers is exempt from? In addition, do you have any idea how much bureaucracy is involved when a public entity tries to build something?

What permitting and inspection requirements do you think Rutgers is exempt from? In addition, do you have any idea how much bureaucracy is involved when a public entity tries to build something?
A lot of them . Do you think rutgers and hobbs is sitting through piscataway zoning board meetings to get an approval ?

I don't see any increased seating projections.A 8000 seat RAC is too small .A renovation costing at least 100 million better increase attendance to at least 10,000.

Reading through this thread it is interesting that all anyone seems concerned with is recruits. Don't spend money on facilities because the recruits want the money directly.

What about the fan experience?

I still maintain they need to a HUGE job and save money towards that rather than some largely cosmetic thing. The big job would be build an exterior-supported roof shell over the whole damn thing then tear the current roof and interior columns, do wrap-around seating and expand the concourse footprint.

Reading through this thread it is interesting that all anyone seems concerned with is recruits. Don't spend money on facilities because the recruits want the money directly.

What about the fan experience?

I still maintain they need to a HUGE job and save money towards that rather than some largely cosmetic thing. The big job would be build an exterior-supported roof shell over the whole damn thing then tear the current roof and interior columns, do wrap-around seating and expand the concourse footprint.
Fan experience is much better when team wins

I don't see any increased seating projections.A 8000 seat RAC is too small .A renovation costing at least 100 million better increase attendance to at least 10,000.
Looks like they try to fit a few extra seats in the lower corners, but my guess is that's only a few hundred more.

A lot of them . Do you think rutgers and hobbs is sitting through piscataway zoning board meetings to get an approval ?
Rutgers is legally exempt from local zoning requirements, and so, yes, Hobbs doesn't have to sit through zoning board meetings. But I can tell you that as a practical matter Rutgers is not going to move ahead with a major project without Piscataway being OK with it.

Rutgers is legally exempt from local zoning requirements, and so, yes, Hobbs doesn't have to sit through zoning board meetings. But I can tell you that as a practical matter Rutgers is not going to move ahead with a major project without Piscataway being OK with it.
Huh ??? Rutgers allowed alcohol sales at the stadium and piscataway was not ok with it .

Huh ??? Rutgers allowed alcohol sales at the stadium and piscataway was not ok with it .
This is a land use matter -- that's different. And I can assure you there are lots of other requirements (many imposed by the state itself) that Rutgers is not going to be exempt from, including requirements that apply only to public institutions. As a matter of reality, this project will need to go through a lot of red tape.

This is a land use matter -- that's different. And I can assure you there are lots of other requirements (many imposed by the state itself) that Rutgers is not going to be exempt from, including requirements that apply only to public institutions. As a matter of reality, this project will need to go through a lot of red tape.

Of course there is red tape . It’s NJ and construction . But it will be less red tape than say a plum street developer llc has to go through . That was my point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT