ADVERTISEMENT

Trivia question: how many times did Mike Krzyzewski come to the RAC as the head coach of the opposing team?

Very good! And that win over Army led to another interesting character coming to the RAC in the next round. Larry Bird and Indiana State, and Bird got into a fight with a fan after the game ended
Was K the coach of that Duke team that won here? I thought Foster was still coaching for that game. I was going to answer one for Army. Edit: just double checked it and PM was right - it was Coach K’s first year there.

Last edited:
Reactions: shields and DirtyRU
Was K the coach of that Duke team that won here? I thought Foster was still coaching for that game. I was going to answer one for Army. Edit: just double checked it and PM was right - it was Coach K’s first year there.
That Duke game was the only time I started to leave with time left on the clock,thinking we didn’t have a way to pull the game out
I was in the concourse watching from there when I had the lousy view of us getting several short shots that would have won it at the buzzer
Was it Kelvin Troy? Can’t remember

That Duke game was the only time I started to leave with time left on the clock,thinking we didn’t have a way to pull the game out
I was in the concourse watching from there when I had the lousy view of us getting several short shots that would have won it at the buzzer

It wouldn't have won it for us, but it would have tied it.

Still feel awful about it. Troy is one of my all-time favorite Scarlet Knights.

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/28/sports/duke-thwarts-rutgers-rally-to-win-53-51.html

Reactions: shields and RUJMM78
Very good! And that win over Army led to another interesting character coming to the RAC in the next round. Larry Bird and Indiana State, and Bird got into a fight with a fan after the game ended
The Bird fight was not much of a fight iirc- I think bird only had to hit him once to put his lights out.

Reactions: rutger80
The Bird fight was not much of a fight iirc- I think bird only had to hit him once to put his lights out.
Incredible, would have ended his career before it began if that happened today.

It wouldn't have won it for us, but it would have tied it.

Still feel awful about it. Troy is one of my all-time favorite Scarlet Knights.

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/28/sports/duke-thwarts-rutgers-rally-to-win-53-51.html
I remember going to that game. And I sat next to a couple of town kids from New Brunswick who were rooting for Duke and were really obnoxious. Eugene Banks had this one massive windmill type dunk that really got these kids going and I wound up almost getting my ass kicked when I responded with my feelings about local guys coming to the RAC and rooting against RU.

Does anyone remember if Clarence Tillman played in that game or if that was his sit out year?

I remember going to that game. And I sat next to a couple of town kids from New Brunswick who were rooting for Duke and were really obnoxious. Eugene Banks had this one massive windmill type dunk that really got these kids going and I wound up almost getting my ass kicked when I responded with my feelings about local guys coming to the RAC and rooting against RU.

Does anyone remember if Clarence Tillman played in that game or if that was his sit out year?
I don't think he was playing yet. The following year maybe. Duke still had a few good guys left from their Final Four team a few years back - Banks, Vince Taylor, Dennard, etc. but they weren't as good that year finishing 17-13. They also had to deal with UVA and Sampson and a very good UNC team (Perkins, Worthy, Black, Doherty) - both made the Final Four that year.

Twice.

Beat Army in the NIT and lost to Duke in a heartbreaker.
Nice!

Mike also played at College Ave Gym in 1969. Rutgers beat Mike's Army team coached by Bobby Knight. Mike as Duke coach beat Rutgers at Brendan Byrne in 1992.

Duke was coming off consecutive championships . We hung around and then got drubbed in the second half. It was a happy homecoming for Hurley
I seem to remember us hanging around and losing something like 80-67. I think Santiago had a good game if I recall correctly. There was a big noreaster in the area the day before ending with wrap-around snow (not a lot) on the day of that game. Maybe @RU848789 can verify the weather part. I am going off memory - I try to do that on occasion to see if it still works rather than rely on Google all the time. 🙂

I seem to remember us hanging around and losing something like 80-67. I think Santiago had a good game if I recall correctly. There was a big noreaster in the area the day before ending with wrap-around snow (not a lot) on the day of that game. Maybe @RU848789 can verify the weather part. I am going off memory - I try to do that on occasion to see if it still works rather than rely on Google all the time. 🙂
Yep and we were on our way to years of bad basketball .
We weren’t respectable again to billet’s senior year in 1999

Link: Rutgers vs. Duke 1992. We lost 88-69 and Jamal Philips and Steve Worthy led in scoring. I know we were mediocre to bad then, but I liked watching those guys along with Kolbo ("Chicken Cutlets") and Damon. My memory was a bit off!

I don't think he was playing yet. The following year maybe. Duke still had a few good guys left from their Final Four team a few years back - Banks, Vince Taylor, Dennard, etc. but they weren't as good that year finishing 17-13. They also had to deal with UVA and Sampson and a very good UNC team (Perkins, Worthy, Black, Doherty) - both made the Final Four that year.
I actually went back and looked – – Tillman should have played in that game because that was his first year of eligibility at RU. He was a year behind Banks when they came out of the same Philadelphia high school, and was another year behind because of his transfer sit out.

Taylor had not been on the final four team that Banks starred on as a freshman. He would come the next year.

I recall that growing up in a Philadelphia market Eugene Banks going to Duke was a surprise nearly as big as ACE going to RU. Duke had not been good since the 60s. They have been good for so long now that we lose our perspective.

Darius had a great steal. And Duke player who was one of the best foul shooters in the country shooting into the student section missed a crucial free throw. I think the Duke game and a buzzer beater over WVU, I believe one of the Nieberleins, were when the RAC started becoming the RAC and then the next year with the upset win over WVU.

I actually went back and looked – – Tillman should have played in that game because that was his first year of eligibility at RU. He was a year behind Banks when they came out of the same Philadelphia high school, and was another year behind because of his transfer sit out.

Taylor had not been on the final four team that Banks starred on as a freshman. He would come the next year.

I recall that growing up in a Philadelphia market Eugene Banks going to Duke was a surprise nearly as big as ACE going to RU. Duke had not been good since the 60s. They have been good for so long now that we lose our perspective.
Where did people think Banks was going instead of Duke? Tillman transferred in from UK. Did people think he was headed there too? Just curious.

Nice!

Mike also played at College Ave Gym in 1969. Rutgers beat Mike's Army team coached by Bobby Knight. Mike as Duke coach beat Rutgers at Brendan Byrne in 1992.
I remember that '69 game. A kid from my hs played for Army and a bunch of us who knew him sat behind the basket on the Army end and harassed the crap out of him. He couldn't laugh because Knight would have killed him!

I remember that '69 game. A kid from my hs played for Army and a bunch of us who knew him sat behind the basket on the Army end and harassed the crap out of him. He couldn't laugh because Knight would have killed him!

Here's an interesting tidbit about what happened after the 1969 RU-Army game...

Knight also mentioned the incident in his book, Knight: My Story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29PAS and rutger80
Coach K had a lot of praise for Kobo after that game – – he asked the press corps if Kobo was Polish, which he wasn’t.

Reactions: RUPete
Where did people think Banks was going instead of Duke? Tillman transferred in from UK. Did people think he was headed there too? Just curious.
I don’t think he had narrowed it down, and recruiting was not so public back then. But he was expected to go to one of the places that was hot back then, like Indiana or UCLA. Duke getting to the final four in Banks’ freshman year was a big surprise.

Reactions: RUPete
Yes …kelvin Troy Initially and then , I think Kevin black missed the tip in

Here's an interesting tidbit about what happened after the 1969 RU-Army game...

Knight also mentioned the incident in his book, Knight: My Story.
Thanks. Never heard that one.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT